++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 16, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #26,101 of 29,490
Quote:
Do
Do you have any recommendations for cans that don't require batteries but still meet the above?

The batteries, I believe, are only needed for the NR function. Need to get this confirmed, though. There's no point in using that function at all.

Mar 16, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #26,102 of 29,490
Hi guys! Would I be lucky enough to find somebody that may have listened to Audio-Technica ATH-A900X and M-100 or Ultrasones 900 PRO, I've just narrowed my search to these choices and I wonder which on to buy....I'm going ot be using them without an amp. I need as detailed and wide sound as possible in the MID-HIGH range and BASS as much as possible, thumpy deep rumbling. Thank you!!

Mar 16, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #26,103 of 29,490
Hey guys, I need some help, after I didn't get any on other audio-forums. I'd like to buy new headphones (but if I won't find any better, I won't do that) for maximum 100$ (I prefer used one). I've read half of internet about that topic but, as always, answers were: buy A, elsewhere: buy B etc. What I need:
- closed headphones, big ones, comfortable, light, no contact with ears inside (so I guess it's called circumaurals)
- cable: can't be thin cause I will have microphone on it
- dark, guess "warm", with good bass control and nice details
- average+ or big soundstage (comparing to closed headphones)
- easy to drive
- they won't be mobile

Using:
- 50% listening to music
- 50% competitive FPS gaming + normal gaming :)

I'm listening:
- 75% rap
- 25% rock/reggae/classical/symphony/electro

My current headphones are Sennheiser HD380 pro (got them less than 1.5 year) and the only reason why I'm thinking about change them is a lot of comments how "bad" they are. IMO, they are really good (my 1st "pro" headphones, still not a lot of experience), I found almost everything what I need in them. But maybe I can get something better :)

I'm connected to kinda low source - Asus Xonar DG, maybe I will change it in the future but now I don't have enough money so it must stay.

I was looking on forums and this is what I got:
- Beyerdynamic DT-770 pro (how about 80 Ohm version? I read that they are too bassy?)
- Shure SRH 840 (I guess they are too expensive for me, even used in my country... heavy? - 317.5g)
- everywhere-recommended ATH-M50 (I read one comparison vs HD380 pro and they were a bit worse; also heard that soundstage is low)
- some Superlux? HD662 or maybe HD669? Any good opinions? (HD-330 and HD-660 has too bad cable and I don't know how to recable em)

Today I came to Denon shop and I tested AH-D1100. My opinion:
- comfortable, circumaurals  (+)
- cable - thin, won't be able to connect with mic   (-)
- very dark and bassy, even for me it was too much; better details than in my HD380 (-/+)
- really little soundstage comparing to my HD380, won't be good for playing I guess  (-)
- a bit harder to drive but my SGS1+Neutron rose to the challenge not that bad
- and they were a bit too small for me (I'm big-head)
So I deleted them from my list. Of course it's only my opinion after half an hour of listening (couldn't more because I'm a bit sick and tired).

Maaaybe I would get Shure SRH 840 for tests but I'm not s(h)ure.

If anyone has suggestions or experience with headphones above-mentioned, I'd be glad to hear it.
Greets.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #26,104 of 29,490
Ok i see your specs of the headphone you want, along with your music tastes and listening usage. Since you mostly listen to rap and do gaming, you do want a bassy headphone. The ATH-M50 is a bad recommendation, they are basing that on price alone. I use a DT770 for gaming and have listened to rap with them. Those are definitely the ones you want. Just make sure its a 32-80 ohm version if youre not planning on purchasing a separate DAC/Amp.
Hey guys, I need some help, after I didn't get any on other audio-forums. I'd like to buy new headphones (but if I won't find any better, I won't do that) for maximum 100$ (I prefer used one). I've read half of internet about that topic but, as always, answers were: buy A, elsewhere: buy B etc. What I need:
- closed headphones, big ones, comfortable, light, no contact with ears inside (so I guess it's called circumaurals)
- cable: can't be thin cause I will have microphone on it
- dark, guess "warm", with good bass control and nice details
- average+ or big soundstage (comparing to closed headphones)
- easy to drive
- they won't be mobile

Using:
- 50% listening to music
- 50% competitive FPS gaming + normal gaming :)

I'm listening:
- 75% rap
- 25% rock/reggae/classical/symphony/electro

My current headphones are Sennheiser HD380 pro (got them less than 1.5 year) and the only reason why I'm thinking about change them is a lot of comments how "bad" they are. IMO, they are really good (my 1st "pro" headphones, still not a lot of experience), I found almost everything what I need in them. But maybe I can get something better :)

I'm connected to kinda low source - Asus Xonar DG, maybe I will change it in the future but now I don't have enough money so it must stay.

I was looking on forums and this is what I got:
- Beyerdynamic DT-770 pro (how about 80 Ohm version? I read that they are too bassy?)
- Shure SRH 840 (I guess they are too expensive for me, even used in my country... heavy? - 317.5g)
- everywhere-recommended ATH-M50 (I read one comparison vs HD380 pro and they were a bit worse; also heard that soundstage is low)
- some Superlux? HD662 or maybe HD669? Any good opinions? (HD-330 and HD-660 has too bad cable and I don't know how to recable em)

Today I came to Denon shop and I tested AH-D1100. My opinion:
- comfortable, circumaurals  (+)
- cable - thin, won't be able to connect with mic   (-)
- very dark and bassy, even for me it was too much; better details than in my HD380 (-/+)
- really little soundstage comparing to my HD380, won't be good for playing I guess  (-)
- a bit harder to drive but my SGS1+Neutron rose to the challenge not that bad
- and they were a bit too small for me (I'm big-head)
So I deleted them from my list. Of course it's only my opinion after half an hour of listening (couldn't more because I'm a bit sick and tired).

Maaaybe I would get Shure SRH 840 for tests but I'm not s(h)ure.

If anyone has suggestions or experience with headphones above-mentioned, I'd be glad to hear it.

Greets.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #26,105 of 29,490
Hey, thanks very much for your reply! Glad to see man with similar taste :wink:

Just checked prices and, unfortunatelly, I see DT770 80 Ohms for at least $150. So that means I will wait for good offer and then hunt :)
I will have to find a shop where I could wear and test them.

Did you have HD380? Do you have opinion about them? Are they really that 'bad'? Just want to know, because if I won't find any good offer about DT770, that might means I will have to stay with my HD380.

I don't see a lot of comparisons about DT770 and HD380 and other comments are kinda weird like:

HD 280 vs DT 770 Pro/DT 250 vs SRH 440? DT 770 pro
HD 380 vs DT 770 Pro/DT 770 M vs SRH 840? HD 380

(lol I don't think my headphones are better than SRH 840)

And to others (because I see everywhere that Superluxs are recommended for evereone) - is anyone have Superlux HD662 or HD669? I read few opinions that they are really good, price seems awesome and I found shop when I can wear&test them.

Greets.

Mar 16, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #26,106 of 29,490
Hey, thanks very much for your reply! Glad to see man with similar taste :wink:

Just checked prices and, unfortunatelly, I see DT770 80 Ohms for at least $150. So that means I will wait for good offer and then hunt :)
I will have to find a shop where I could wear and test them.

Did you have HD380? Do you have opinion about them? Are they really that 'bad'? Just want to know, because if I won't find any good offer about DT770, that might means I will have to stay with my HD380.

I don't see a lot of comparisons about DT770 and HD380 and other comments are kinda weird like:

(lol I don't think my headphones are better than SRH 840)

And to others (because I see everywhere that Superluxs are recommended for evereone) - is anyone have Superlux HD662 or HD669? I read few opinions that they are really good, price seems awesome and I found shop when I can wear&test them.

Greets.
No i havent heard those headphones you mentioned. Some other places you might find some good info on is the DT770 thread for the current best deal and the HD380 thread for comparisons, if there is a thread for them. Just do a forum search and youll find them no problem. Good luck.

Mar 16, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #26,108 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok i see your specs of the headphone you want, along with your music tastes and listening usage. Since you mostly listen to rap and do gaming, you do want a bassy headphone. The ATH-M50 is a bad recommendation, they are basing that on price alone. I use a DT770 for gaming and have listened to rap with them. Those are definitely the ones you want. Just make sure its a 32-80 ohm version if youre not planning on purchasing a separate DAC/Amp.

He's saying 50% music that mostly focuses on rap and 50% competitive gaming. That's really conflicting because you'll want something with decent low frequencies for the music, but then you'll need something with a lot of detail and a large soundstage for positional audio. The DT770 and M50 are terrible for competitive gaming. Probably some of the worst, actually.

Trubul, are you sure you're asking about competitive gaming (FPS where positional accuracy is important) or just some general gaming? Also, if you had to pick one, would you want to focus more on the music or the gaming?

Mar 16, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #26,109 of 29,490
Hey, I will start from the end of your post:
It's very hard to focus on something, choosing between music and gaming. I'm listening to music ~2 hours/day, same playing CoD2 where positional accuracy is very very important. I also play some new singleplayers, but mostly I play CoD2. That's why I wrote 50-50 :)
Honestly, I can't choose between two of them.

Yea, I supposed that it might be a bit conflicting but I'd like to get a good compromised headphones, if possible.
Tbh, you made me a bit sad saying that DT770 are bad for competitive gaming (after reading lots post that's "best closed headphones for gaming"; but nobody said "for competitive"). Does it mean they are no-detailed or has low soundstage?

Same as above, I can't find any opinions about Sennheiser HD380 being competitive-able. I found them 'not that bad', but sometimes my friend who uses crapty Creative Fatal1ty HS800 says that he heard something, when I didn't (he has much more hours than me, but well...). Any HD380 owners here, playing competetive? :)

Greets.

Mar 16, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #26,110 of 29,490
He's saying 50% music that mostly focuses on rap and 50% competitive gaming. That's really conflicting because you'll want something with decent low frequencies for the music, but then you'll need something with a lot of detail and a large soundstage for positional audio. The DT770 and M50 are terrible for competitive gaming. Probably some of the worst, actually.

Trubul, are you sure you're asking about competitive gaming (FPS where positional accuracy is important) or just some general gaming? Also, if you had to pick one, would you want to focus more on the music or the gaming?
The DT770 is actually one of the best gaming headsets i have used. Look up the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 which is essentially a DT770 with an aviation-grade mic. I still have it today and it blocks out ambient noise, can hear footsteps, and still has alot of detail and musicality without it feeling congested for a closed headphone. Given his 50/50 usage, this is a great headset for him. Where do you get this information from?

Mar 16, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #26,111 of 29,490
Quote:
The DT770 is actually one of the best gaming headsets i have used. Look up the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 which is essentially a DT770 with an aviation-grade mic. I still have it today and it blocks out ambient noise, can hear footsteps, and still has alot of detail and musicality without it feeling congested for a closed headphone. Given his 50/50 usage, this is a great headset for him. Where do you get this information from?

From me. I own the DT770 and have attempted to use them for competitive gaming. They were highly not agreeable to my ears for that purpose. At least no where near the realm of the AD700 or K702. Granted, those are open. I will disclaim that I only spent a couple hours gaming with them before deciding to never try again. Maybe I need more time with them to finalize that opinion. I'm open to trying again and my mind can always be changed.

Now the M50, I don't know how anyone can say those are good competitive gaming sets. As bad as I found my DT770 to be for competitive gaming, the M50 was 1000x worse. Seems like that's the general consensus out there, but I could absolutely be wrong and uninformed.

Thoughts?

Mar 16, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #26,112 of 29,490
Quote:

Haven't heard the DT770 myself, but from my experience, closed + bassy headphones are generally bad for competitive gaming. The M50s are pretty terrible for gaming, and if the DT770s are anything like them then it's probably not all that different.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-3-11-13-lcd2-entry-updated

MLE also rated them as 4/10 for competitive in his/her gaming guide.

Mar 16, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #26,114 of 29,490
Haven't heard the DT770 myself, but from my experience, closed + bassy headphones are generally bad for competitive gaming. The M50s are pretty terrible for gaming, and if the DT770s are anything like them then it's probably not all that different.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-3-11-13-lcd2-entry-updated

MLE also rated them as 4/10 for competitive in his/her gaming guide.
The first thing i see is that MLE is basing his reviews with dolby headphone enabled, of course its not the most open, theyre closed cans, duh. The key is that he wont hear environmental noise, has nice bass (no rattle bass) and is comfy.

Mar 16, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #26,115 of 29,490
Quote:
Personally, I would invest in a single quality pair of headphones. A higher-end pair of headphones would likely offer a much better experience across a variety of uses (gaming, music, movies, etc.) than several mediocre headphones each targeting a specific niche. Most higher-end headphones will have decent enough build quality and durability such that it is up to how you treat them that will determine their lifespan.

Back when I used to game semi-competitively, I preferred to invest in a set of high-end headphones and a separate mic rather than use a gaming headset. I had invested in several gaming headsets in the past and came to the conclusion that they were mostly a marketing scam. They offered little competitive edge in terms of positional and definitely did not provide an optimal listening experience. But if the idea of gaming-oriented headphones appeals to you, you should check out the Sennheiser PC 360 if you can afford it.

If by mobile amp you mean portable headphone amp, then I think all headphones should be compatible provided they connect via a standard 3.5mm jack. I don't know of any exceptions to this although maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

Since you are interested in gaming, I'll refer you to this. Maybe it will help you look at a few options. But without a price range or budget information it is hard to offer a recommendation.

What would you suggest for an ideally $200-$250 at most $300 price range?

Also I looked at the Sennheiser PC 360 and was really put off by the mic, since its size would majorly decrease portability. I could go along with the idea of a separate mic but I'd almost be scared to take it anywhere, and then I would only have the mic at home. 

To be honest gaming would really be a lower priority than music and I wouldn't mind buying a separate adapter for X-Box since I might get rid of mine anyways.

Thanks for the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back