++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 27, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #22,609 of 29,490
Greetings,

I have used the AD700 for three years and love its comfort and laid-back sound.  I recently bought the Q701 and do notice a cleaner, more full sound (compared to the AD700).  However, the Q701 is much tighter on my head and the headband is deathly after ~10 minutes.

How does the AD900 compare to the AD700 and the Q701 in the areas of sound and comfort?

Thanks

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #22,610 of 29,490
So what's the general consensus of the AKG K550? I want to like them as my main closed headphone but I've heard stories of bad isolation with small heads even after a bend of the headband and even treble resonances. I've also been interested in the Sony MDR-1r, but haven't heard enough about them to make a decision. I've tried and put down the Senn Momentum, I honestly don't understand the hype surrounding those. I like a warmer sound signature like my trusty px100-ii, but I'm not looking for a bass cannon like the M-100, just something neutral/warmish. Helppp

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #22,611 of 29,490
Quote:
Greetings,

I have used the AD700 for three years and love its comfort and laid-back sound.  I recently bought the Q701 and do notice a cleaner, more full sound (compared to the AD700).  However, the Q701 is much tighter on my head and the headband is deathly after ~10 minutes.

How does the AD900 compare to the AD700 and the Q701 in the areas of sound and comfort?

Thanks

The 900 is a full step up from the 700.  Most people will first notice better bass.  It is also very light and comfortable.

I place the Q701 above the 900 in terms of both sound quality (especially superior detail) and build quality.  I don't any trouble with the comfort of the Q701, but it's hard to beat the 900 in that department.

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #22,612 of 29,490
Quote:
So what's the general consensus of the AKG K550? I want to like them as my main closed headphone but I've heard stories of bad isolation with small heads even after a bend of the headband and even treble resonances. I've also been interested in the Sony MDR-1r, but haven't heard enough about them to make a decision. I've tried and put down the Senn Momentum, I honestly don't understand the hype surrounding those. I like a warmer sound signature like my trusty px100-ii, but I'm not looking for a bass cannon like the M-100, just something neutral/warmish. Helppp

The general consensus on the K 550 is that it is an excellent can, provided you can get a proper seal.  If not, then it's not so good.

Dec 27, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #22,613 of 29,490
Hi all..I'm a noob to the whole headphone scene,although I have been a music lover and audiophile for over 30 yrs.
I've hopefully made some good choices to get up to speed by taking some time to do my homework. I've made the plunge by purchasing what I think will be a good match. A Meier Audio Corda Classic mated to the Beyerdynamic T1. I'm really looking forward to listening to old favorites in a new way and i'm glad to be here on your forum. Thanks.

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #22,614 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all..I'm a noob to the whole headphone scene,although I have been a music lover and audiophile for over 30 yrs.
I've hopefully made some good choices to get up to speed by taking some time to do my homework. I've made the plunge by purchasing what I think will be a good match. A Meier Audio Corda Classic mated to the Beyerdynamic T1. I'm really looking forward to listening to old favorites in a new way and i'm glad to be here on your forum. Thanks.

The T1 normally sells for about $1,000 and up, so you need to post this in either the Summit-Fi section of the forum or on the T-1 appreciation thread (which may well be in the Summit-Fi forum section).

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #22,616 of 29,490
I'm looking for a solid pair of closed-ear headphones mainly for FPS gaming and music. I play mostly competitive CS (so a good soundstage is necessary) and i listen to mainly Hip Hop, UK Garage, and some Jazz. Anyone have a recommendation for ~$200?

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #22,617 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for a solid pair of closed-ear headphones mainly for FPS gaming and music. My budget is up to $200; anyone have a reconmendation?

B&W P3.
Someone will come and recommend the Audio Technica M50 (don't do it)

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #22,618 of 29,490
HI,

I'm very new to the world of audio pleasure. Okay, I've enjoyed music specifically for quite a while but really I've been trying to appreciate audio equipment only recently, so n00b I am 
rolleyes.gif
 I saw this nice thread and would like to perhaps toss in some inquries for direct feedback and discussion :) during my short time enjoying audio equipment I went all the way down from stock phone earphones, to Senn CX300-II, to Bose IE2, to currently Shure SE215. as you can see; all in-ears. But that's when I'm mobile, I hate using them when I'm in my room. I am starting to look at headphones as the gear I use when I am in my room, and speakers are apparently currently out of the question (live in a dorm-type place, have a HTS 5.1 but can't use the juice out of them as it'll annoy me dorm-mates).

So I'm currently seeing what the options are if I go for headphones. I will use them to enjoy movies (I am a fan of Michael Bay popcorn flick type of movie) mostly, but I'd also like being able to complement the music range that cannot be covered optimally with my Shure SE215 (which is not the best for R&B, Hip Hop, and the like).

I use a Galaxy Nexus phone for my portable audio. Not the best, but it just seems practical. For the headphone setup at home I will be hooking it up to my computer which has the Asus Xonar Phoebus soundcard on it.

Oh one more thing, I have a Senn HD 202-ii which is pretty cool for the price, but currently my girlfriend uses them and she's stationed at a hospital in a different town than where I live, so I'd like an experience far above the HD 202-ii.

Music Genres: I listen to most music, but for the headphones I'd like to cover the R&B, Hip Hop, Percussion Trance, etc end (this is besides the fact most of the time I will need this to satisfy movie needs). I enjoy vocals, jazz, instruments, accoustics, percussion in music but in the headphone I am seeking a sense of "grand-ness" (soundstage?), power that I cannot feel with the SE215 (for example, in Bocelli's "Because We Believe" I love the vocal quality I get with 215 but I don't feel overwhelmed by the music -for his type of music, I expected to be overwhelmed)

Amped/Unamped: I am not at all familiar with headphones regardless I used to use one, so I am open to desktop amps if necessary if the Phoebus is deemed not sufficient. (tubes? would they cancel out function or feature of Phoebus?)

File encoding: FLAC for music, Matroska for movies mostly

Portable: No, headphones will be strictly a home thing

Price Range: Currently open to inputs, but cannot see myself spending more than $300-400 in one time (further upgrades is considerable, but for future me to figure out :p).

Closed/Open: Open to suggestions. I don't know much on difference except that I think since I am indoors having open ones would be okay? Over ear I think (more comfortable? comfort is important, at least to last one movie). Is surround really achievable in headphones? not at all familiar sorry for the questions 

Past headphones: Stocks, Senn CX300-II, Senn HD 202-ii, Bose IE2, Shure SE215

I think that's it. I am not listing any "currently looking at" because this setup will be a 1-3 month project thing, I am a student so I have to save up for equipment :) thank you for inputs :)

Aditya

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #22,619 of 29,490
What are the best bassy, durable, closed and good looking headphones for about $350?
Look into the V-MODA M-100. Seems to be all the things you required. I'm personally trying to decide between the M-100 and the Ultrasone Pro 900. I do know that the pro 900 has to be less durable the M-100 though. The M-100 is a tank.

Oh and olly, check out the ultrasone HFI-780. Supposedly they are great for gaming and movies. You can find them for around $140 an maybe even less if you're lucky. I've also heard they're good for listening to music too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back