++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 27, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #22,621 of 29,490
Hi all,

Yet another recommendations request here for you guys.  I am looking for a set of full sized circumaural cans for music and movies in the $150 range.  I will be powering it off a FiiO E11 portable amp.  Music genres I listen to include electronic chill out / deep house, jazz, soul/funk/R&B, rock, alternative.  Looking for rich vocals but really like deep, impactful bass as well.  I just got a pair of Sennheiser HD558s and while I love the open sound and comfort, I find the bass a little lacking.  It's something I can probably live with but deeper bass impact would be so much more engaging and fun... and I can't help but wonder if the Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm would be a better fit for what I'm looking for.  

My biggest concern with the Beyers is losing the feeling of openness with a closed headphone, and potentially weaker mids and harsher highs (from what I've read anyway).  Unfortunately I don't have a place to go demo them, so would have to go by recommendations here.  I've tried the Audio Technica ATH-M50 and I definitely prefer the 558s -- the M50s have better bass, but I prefer the wider soundstage of the 558s.  How would the DT770s compare?  

Other reference points -- I listen mostly to earbuds, and for those of you that have experience with them, I own both the Blox M2C and Hisoundaudio PAA-1 Pros and I would take the PAA-1 Pros over the M2C most days for the bass impact.  I also have the PAA-1s, but I think that pair sounds much worse than the other two buds (just bassy but thin sounding otherwise).  Also have a Panasonic HJE900 which I like too, but those IEMs could use better midrange (but nice, tight bass)

Thoughts anyone?  Thanks!!

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #22,622 of 29,490
What are the best bassy, durable, closed and good looking headphones for about $350?

Look into the K167 and save yourself some cash. UE6000 is nice a bassy too but durable is not the word I would use to describe the build.

I'm looking for a solid pair of closed-ear headphones mainly for FPS gaming and music. I play mostly competitive CS (so a good soundstage is necessary) and i listen to mainly Hip Hop, UK Garage, and some Jazz. Anyone have a recommendation for ~$200?

K550 more for jazz.
DT770 more for hip hop.

Both have nearly open sounding feel to them for a closed can.

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #22,624 of 29,490
Quote:
Yet another recommendations request here for you guys.  I am looking for a set of full sized circumaural cans for music and movies in the $150 range.  I will be powering it off a FiiO E11 portable amp.  Music genres I listen to include electronic chill out / deep house, jazz, soul/funk/R&B, rock, alternative.  Looking for rich vocals but really like deep, impactful bass as well.  I just got a pair of Sennheiser HD558s and while I love the open sound and comfort, I find the bass a little lacking.  It's something I can probably live with but deeper bass impact would be so much more engaging and fun... and I can't help but wonder if the Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm would be a better fit for what I'm looking for.  My biggest concern with the Beyers is losing the feeling of openness with a closed headphone, and potentially weaker mids and harsher highs (from what I've read anyway).  Unfortunately I don't have a place to go demo them, so would have to go by recommendations here.  I've tried the Audio Technica ATH-M50 and I definitely prefer the 558s -- the M50s have better bass, but I prefer the wider soundstage of the 558s.  How would the DT770s compare?  
Other reference points -- I listen mostly to earbuds, and for those of you that have experience with them, I own both the Blox M2C and Hisoundaudio PAA-1 Pros and I would take the PAA-1 Pros over the M2C most days for the bass impact.  I also have the PAA-1s, but I think that pair sounds much worse than the other two buds (just bassy but thin sounding otherwise).  Also have a Panasonic HJE900 which I like too, but those IEMs could use better midrange (but nice, tight bass)

The DT770 Pro 80-Ohm would give you full bass
Currently listening to the Bee gee (you should be dancing) with my DT770 Pro 80-Ohm with the O2 amp.
I would think anytime you increase the bass, you going to overshadow the mids and treble, at least a little.
I think the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm are fine for music.
You could just get the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm, little more balanced sound, the E11s will drive the 250-Ohm version with the volume knob at 50%.

Have you removed the black rubber tape from inside the HD558s, I think it would help with the mids and highs.

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #22,625 of 29,490
I tried some Denon AH D-5000's and I hated them. They sounded like they had barely any bass at all.

I tried some Shure 940's and they sounded much better, I think it is because I prefer the size of the headpiece. I prefer a headpiece that is much tighter around the ear. I also liked the HD 650's, however they are too expensive for me and I think I need closed headphones.

Can someone tell me if I'd like the DT 770 Pro 80 ohms? A lot of people throw that name around and I'm wondering if I'd like them. 

Are the ear pieces too big, or do they make up for it by making the sound feel close? I know a lot of people like a wide soundstage, but it is very important for me to have the music feel like it is closer like in the shure 940/HD 650's.

Bass is very important to me, so can anyone tell me about the Ultrasone Pro 750/900's? How do they compare to the others? I've heard they are good for bass, however they are not very forgiving to bad quality music...

I'll be using a Fiio E11 + Ipod.

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #22,626 of 29,490
Quote:
Can someone tell me if I'd like the DT 770 Pro 80 ohms? A lot of people throw that name around and I'm wondering if I'd like them. 
Are the ear pieces too big, or do they make up for it by making the sound feel close? I know a lot of people like a wide sound stage, but it is very important for me to have the music feel like it is closer like in the shure 940/HD 650's.
I'll be using a Fiio E11 + iPod.

There a some good deals on used DT770 Pro 80-Ohm & 250-Ohm on eBay, my 80-Ohm & 250-Ohm work fine on my E11.
The DT770 are fine for music & movies, and I'm sure fine for gaming too.
Really not any weakness to the DT770.

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #22,627 of 29,490
Quote:
There a some good deals on used DT770 Pro 80-Ohm & 250-Ohm on eBay, my 80-Ohm & 250-Ohm work fine on my E11.
The DT770 are fine for music & movies, and I'm sure fine for gaming too.
Really not any weakness to the DT770.

Agree'd. I've had my DT770 pro 80ohm's for 2 years now and they're seriously good for everything. If you like how they sound ofcourse.

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #22,628 of 29,490
Heya guys.

I'm currently looking for a pair of portable headphones. 

1. They cannot leak. Obviously no headphones are perfect in this department, but as little leakage as possible.

2. I'd prefer on-ear, but if there are any over-ear headphones that are good for portable use then that's okay.

3. I'm going to use them with my iPod Touch.

4. I like bass. I'm by no means a basshead, but I do like a good bass. I looooove the sound of my DT770 pro 80 ohm if you need a reference.

5. They need to be good looking. I'm sorry, some of you might wanna hurt me by saying that, but I'm just like that. I don't want a pair of ugly and bulky looking headphones. 

6. My budget is around $200. Although keep in mind I live in Sweden where prices can be way higher than the ones in America. For example, you can get a pair of AKG K267 in the US for the same price that you can get a pair of AKG K167 in Sweden. Just sayin'

Any help is appreciated

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #22,629 of 29,490
Since I'm incompetent I actually made a thread instead of posting here, I've copied the text across:

At christmas I got enough money to set my budget limits at around £100, the ATH-M50 are pretty much the very high end of my budget but I would be willing to splash out for them since they are allegedly good at what they do, however I would be unable/unwilling to go any higher ( I have no problem going lower :D). Now seems a reasonable time to buy due to the sales that are out in force.

Planned uses:
Music - Ipod and PC based - my PC has a xonar DG sound card running into an old Denon M35 with speakers attached.
Mobile music listening - I intend to keep my GR06 for the most mobile moments but for long journeys and the like something bigger and better sounding would be nice.
Gaming - I will inevitably use the headphones for gaming - while not a primary use or even a particularly important use (they don't have to be a gaming headset) it is still worth noting.

Music tastes:
Balanced I think is the best way to describe it
Older rock such as Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Toto, Asia, Paul Simon
Newer rock - RHCP, Foo Fighters etc
More recent hybrid stuff - Mumford and Sons, Grizzly bear, Gotye etc
Dance/Drum'n'Bass/Limited dubstep
Some rap and rap hybrids (The Grey album etc)
Some classical

Essentially a little bit of everything so a more neutral pair of headphones I think would be better to allow better use of all the types of music I enjoy.

What am I looking for?

Ideally a good set of headphones (no, really?). The sort of price I'm looking at is the first point at which entry-level audiophile headphones could really be considered to be properly a thing. I would like for them to be cans and not IEM since I have a reasonably good pair of IEM as it stands. The final point which kind of reduces my options a little is that I want them to be closed - since I would intend to use them outside the house and in public I can't really get away with an open pair of headphones.

I've been looking around and the ATH-M50s do seem to be the best headphones at that price point, but I've seen a couple of threads suggesting that the ATH-M50 are now a little over priced for what they offer and there are better alternatives, though few of them seem to actually offer the better alternatives. I haven't had a pair of headphones at this price before so I can't really comment on sound-stage/clarity etc. in terms of my preferences.

Thanks <3

Edit: Having been looking around the cables are all quite long at this level of headphone - obviously this is for professional/studio needs. How do people cope with cables longer than they are tall? Has anyone got any suggestions as to how to deal with it? Is the coiled cable version of the ATH-m50 at all uncomfortable when worn under clothing? ( I usually have my headphone cable underneath my shirt to my ipod in my jeans pocket to keep it from getting caught on things).

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #22,630 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi all,

Yet another recommendations request here for you guys.  I am looking for a set of full sized circumaural cans for music and movies in the $150 range.  I will be powering it off a FiiO E11 portable amp.  Music genres I listen to include electronic chill out / deep house, jazz, soul/funk/R&B, rock, alternative.  Looking for rich vocals but really like deep, impactful bass as well.  I just got a pair of Sennheiser HD558s and while I love the open sound and comfort, I find the bass a little lacking.  It's something I can probably live with but deeper bass impact would be so much more engaging and fun... and I can't help but wonder if the Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm would be a better fit for what I'm looking for.  

My biggest concern with the Beyers is losing the feeling of openness with a closed headphone, and potentially weaker mids and harsher highs (from what I've read anyway).  Unfortunately I don't have a place to go demo them, so would have to go by recommendations here.  I've tried the Audio Technica ATH-M50 and I definitely prefer the 558s -- the M50s have better bass, but I prefer the wider soundstage of the 558s.  How would the DT770s compare?  

Thoughts anyone?  Thanks!!

Quote:
The DT770 Pro 80-Ohm would give you full bass
Currently listening to the Bee gee (you should be dancing) with my DT770 Pro 80-Ohm with the O2 amp.
I would think anytime you increase the bass, you going to overshadow the mids and treble, at least a little.
I think the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm are fine for music.
You could just get the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm, little more balanced sound, the E11s will drive the 250-Ohm version with the volume knob at 50%.

Have you removed the black rubber tape from inside the HD558s, I think it would help with the mids and hi

PurpleAngel, thanks for the input.  Haven't done the mod for the HD558s because I'm not sure if I'm keeping them yet.  Not bothered by the mids and highs though for them; just want more bass.  Just trying to figure out if I should switch them out for DT770s given the type of music I listen to and for movies.  Does the DT770 sound compressed or in your head?  How would you rate it for movies?  I'm guessing the bass would be great for explosions, etc. but does it work against you for scenes with a lot of dialog?  I'm certainly OK with having mids and highs take a small step back in exchange for more bass (that's what the PAA-1 Pro's signature is like) as long as they're still clear and not completely overshadowed.  

By the way, does anyone know if there are any shops in the Bay Area that carry the DT770s that people can audition, ideally in the south bay?

Thanks!

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #22,631 of 29,490
Well I feel stupid, didn't know this thread existed. I'm going to copy and paste my previous post. 

So I have been doing a lot of research for the past week on deciding what cans to get and I have narrowed it down to either the Ultrasone Pro 900 or the Denon D2K. However, they are quite pricey and without any retailers in Vancouver to try out these cans, it is a real leap of faith. As a result, I am considering getting the Ultrasone 650 as I can get them for $200 USD. With the change left over, I can still afford to buy a decent amp such as the JDS Objective 2/C421, Digizoid ZO2, Audioengine D1, Fiio 9k, or Hifiman EF2A (what would you recommend?). 

I may not be a full-fledged audiophile, but I do enjoy a quality audio experience. This begs the question, is the Ultrasone 900 leaps and bounds ahead of the 650? Are the differences discernible to a novice like me? I don't want to cheap out and regret buying the baby brother if the price difference is well warranted.

Also, in your opinion, what would be the better set of cans the Ultrasone 650/900 or the Denon D2K? After all my research it really seems to be a toss up. However, the general concensus is that the Ultrasones' have better mid-bass and the Denons' have better sub-bass. Noob question, but in regards to sub-bass, are headphones able to produce that physical sensation (?) that something like a subwoofer would or is it more the ability to produce those low frequencies without sounding muddled? Obviously, it would be nowhere near the earthquake rumble of a sub.

In regards to the 900 & D2K decision, many say that with the Keez mod, the harshness of the highs in the 900 are greatly reduced and it also produces better sub-bass. On the flip-side, people have stated that with an amp like the Digizoid ZO2, the mid-bass sounds much better; eliminating the main advantage the Ultrasones have over the D2K. However, people have stated that the drivers in the Ultrasone are better suited for electronic music as they fire faster than the D2K, or something like that. Are there any truth to these claims? Also, I may be able to get either the Denons or the Ultrasone for about $350 USD. With $100-150 what amp would you recommend? Would I need a DAC or is my soundcard enough (Asus Xonar DX)?

To give more information about myself, my budget is $350-450 USD but if the need arises I can go a bit higher to $500-550 USD, but that is stretching it. My current headphones are the Monster Turbine Pro Copper (iem) and I really like how it sounds. Essentially, I am looking for their over-the-ear equivalent with better soundstage and bass. The headphones would be used %50 for gaming (FPS-Battlefield 3) and %50 for music. Lastly, the music I listen to is French/Disco House (%40) (Daft Punk/Justice/ Breakbot/Sebastian/etc.), various electronic music/genres (%40) (Deadmau5/Calvin Harris/Madeon/Wolfgang Gartner/Martin Solveig/etc.) a bit of Dubstep (%10) (Skrillex), and Hip-Hop (%10) (Kanye West/Roots/Mos Def/etc.). 

TL;DR: What would be the best choice for my situation ($350-450ish USD budget)? Ultrasone Pro 900, Denon D2K or Pro 650+amp and save the rest if the difference in sound quality is not noticeable/justified.

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #22,632 of 29,490
"As can be ascertained from the 1 next to "posts" in my profile, I am new to the forum. I joined after spending an hour or so of browsing through several threads in search of answers to my questions about if there is a better way to listen to music than how I do it now. I am a music lover. I listen to all genres....from Edith Piaf to Slayer, A Tribe Called Quest to Allison Krauss....my music library contains a wide array of musical tastes. I usually listen to this music in my car, but I get my most enjoyment from listening through headphones. But, my headphones are crap. I wont even admit what brand they are lest I completely embarrass myself here among such experienced folks such as yourselves.
So, I am looking to enter a new dimension in sonic appreciation. My wife, bless her heart, bought me a set of Bose OE headphones for Christmas. Yes...Bose.... (Forgive me....I know that Bose is far from the brand of choice here....but I want to be honest about how in the dark I am when it comes to quality headphones...) I did some research and found that the headphones she bought are an older model of Bose headphones. They aren't even the current model. So, I searched to find the newest Bose models to which I could potentially upgrade. Somehow I came across this forum, and what I have read has me feeling quite inadequate and naiive. Many manufacturers I read about I have never heard of. So, I would like some advice. Hope you all can help.
I would like advice on a good starting out headphone for someone like me. As I said, I listen to very different types of music and I would like a headphone versatile enough for me to enjoy all the different types of music to which I listen. Cost is also an issue for me. I am certain that there are headphones out there that will blow my mind, but I am also quite certain that they are priced far beyond what I am willing (or able) to pay.
I am simply looking for a comfortable, quality headphone in the $200 range that will allow me to better enjoy my music library. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, I would like to know if there are advantages to on ear versus around ear headphones or vice versa. I need to be educated....I humbly ask for your assistance.

Thank you."

I cut and pasted this from a thread I started elsewhere in this forum.....(my apologies to the moderators)....

I realistically will be looking to buy two pair: a nicer pair to use at the house and then another pair to use outside while exercising, travelling, etc. But, I'm mostly interested in getting recommendations for the at home pair. I will predominantly be listening to an iPod and iPhone (but would use the portables for the iPhone...I will look for recommendations for those in the appropriate forum), with some listening to the iPod through a stereo receiver. As I said, I listen to a variety of music: metal, classic rock, rap, country, bluegrass, classical and everything in between with rock/metal being the dominant genre in my library. The sound I am looking for would lean towards bass more than treble. My ear is more tolerant of bass than high pitches, but I do have limits on how much bass I can take (i.e. I don't want that vibrating bass that hip-hop lovers have in their cars.) So, whatever recommendations y'all might offer would be appreciated.

Thanks again

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #22,633 of 29,490
Looking for $300-$450 headphones, around-the-ear for listening on my iPhone.

Genres: Rock, Pop & Country

Currently own the Triple Fi 10's and Monster Turbine Pro Copper, and much prefer the Triple Fi 10s so looking for headphones that sound similar (only better), I believe they have a V-shaped response curve (?).

Can be either closed or open, thanks for your help guys!

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #22,634 of 29,490
What cans should I buy?

What I have now
PC + Audio-gd Compass + DT770 Pro (80)

What I will use them for
PC Gaming
Indie Pop/Rock, Electro, Classic Rock, Blues, Hip hop, Jazz, Classical (I listen to almost everything.  I listed genres in rough order of relative time spent listening.)
I like bass, but if I had to choose I would pick tighter bass over powerful bass.

What I'm considering
Sennheiser HD650
HiFiMAN HE-500
????

I've been considering upgrading to HD650s for the last year or so, amidst frustration that the price on them has shot up around $100 over this time.  Considering this, the fact that I have a better job now, and that I haven't actually put in any real research time into cans in two or three years, I decided to open up and look around more for something better.  So, I have now discovered the HE-500s, which while $300 more than what I had originally intended to spend (200 now), have me extremely intrigued and tempted to just go balls to the wall.  My spidey sense tells me there is some degree of FOTM effect going on with the HE-500s, but they seem to offer a lot for that extra $200 spent.  Meanwhile, at $500 for 650s I'm left wondering if I'm better off spending less for something like MDR-1Rs or countless other awesome headphones in the $300-400 range.  Finally, If this Compass DAC/Amp isn't the ideal setup for the upgrades I'm looking to move toward, I am open to upgrading that equipment in the near future, maybe a year out.

So given all my variables, what is my best choice for cans?

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #22,635 of 29,490
hello i want to buy home headphones listnenig pop rock clasis little dance. i want big soundstage, comfort, durability

i am considering 

akg k550
dt 770 250 ohm
shure 940

i want to buy audisnt mx1, which will be the best ? or something else ? thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back