++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 28, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #22,637 of 29,490
Hi guys,
I narrowed it down to these three headphones:
1) V-Moda M100 ($300) extremely durable, bassy, cosed and looks good.
2) Ultrasone PRO900 ($500) bassy, closed and looks very good (Not sure about durability)
3) AKG K267 TIËSTO ($350) durable, bassy, closed, looks good.
So can you guys help me narrow it down even further? Should I remove Ultrasone from the list or is it worth the extra money?

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #22,638 of 29,490
Hey guys, I'm new here and I missed this thread and mistakenly started a new one.

I still got some good answers though, but I wanted to move my questions here:

It looks like the recommendations given were the hifiman HE-400s with the magni/modi stack. If anyone has listened to the He-400s on that amp/dac combo or had any opinions to offer, I'd greatly appreciate it!

If you'd like to read my original post, here it is:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/643199/new-can-recommendations-please-help#post_8996045

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #22,639 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys,
I narrowed it down to these three headphones:
1) V-Moda M100 ($300) extremely durable, bassy, cosed and looks good.
2) Ultrasone PRO900 ($500) bassy, closed and looks very good (Not sure about durability)
3) AKG K267 TIËSTO ($350) durable, bassy, closed, looks good.
So can you guys help me narrow it down even further? Should I remove Ultrasone from the list or is it worth the extra money?

Actually, I decided to remove the Ultrasone PRO900 from my list, even if it is better I don't want to spent more than $350.
So now please help me decide between the V-Moda M100 ($300)  and the AKG K267 TIËSTO ($350). Really difficult decision :$

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #22,641 of 29,490
i want to know the views of people on gaming headphone.
can we use audiophile headphone for playing games as gaming headphones have good positional sound but there is always something missing.
 i want to ask which headphone to buy STEELSERIES v2 FROST (gaming headphone) or sennheiser 598(audiophile can) both the cans will cost me the same. i get about 40% off on sennheiser as my father works at sennheiser . CAN I OPEN A THREAD ? PLS TELL ME.
REGARD.
                                                                          SRY FOR OPENING A THREAD B4 WITHOUT ASKING.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #22,642 of 29,490
can we use audiophile headphone for playing games as gaming headphones have good positional sound but there is always something missing.
 i want to ask which headphone to buy STEELSERIES v2 FROST (gaming headphone) or sennheiser 598(audiophile can) both the cans will cost me the same. i get about 40% off on sennheiser as my father works at sennheiser . CAN I OPEN A THREAD ? PLS TELL ME.

REGARD.

Of course you can use regular headphones for gaming and there are tons of great options out there for the money. The 598 will give you great spacial accuracy and posioning plus will be great for music. A little bass light though. You could always go with the PC360 gaming headsets that are very good or if you want a better gaming headset that's also a way better music and movie headphone the MMX 300 from Beyerdynamic.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #22,643 of 29,490
Actually, I decided to remove the Ultrasone PRO900 from my list, even if it is better I don't want to spent more than $350.
So now please help me decide between the V-Moda M100 ($300)  and the AKG K267 TIËSTO ($350). Really difficult decision :$

Where are you located? The Pro 900 is no where near $500 in the US. You can get them on EBay and Amazon for less than 300 and yes they are super durable and will out preform the other two on your list

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #22,644 of 29,490
Quote:
Where are you located? The Pro 900 is no where near $500 in the US. You can get them on EBay and Amazon for less than 300 and yes they are super durable and will out preform the other two on your list

I live in Sydney Australia and the cheapest I can find it anywhere is $550 + shipping :frowning2: http://www.ebay.com/itm/UltraSone-Pro900-Premium-Audiophile-Stereo-Headphones-New-/230901312886?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item35c2ca6d76 this is the cheapest.
I really like the other two, exactly what I want in terms of sound and build quality. I am leaning more towards the V-Moda M100 so what do you guys think?

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #22,645 of 29,490
Quote:
What cans should I buy?

What I have now
PC + Audio-gd Compass + DT770 Pro (80)

What I will use them for
PC Gaming
Indie Pop/Rock, Electro, Classic Rock, Blues, Hip hop, Jazz, Classical (I listen to almost everything.  I listed genres in rough order of relative time spent listening.)
I like bass, but if I had to choose I would pick tighter bass over powerful bass.

What I'm considering
Sennheiser HD650
HiFiMAN HE-500
????

I've been considering upgrading to HD650s for the last year or so, amidst frustration that the price on them has shot up around $100 over this time.  Considering this, the fact that I have a better job now, and that I haven't actually put in any real research time into cans in two or three years, I decided to open up and look around more for something better.  So, I have now discovered the HE-500s, which while $300 more than what I had originally intended to spend (200 now), have me extremely intrigued and tempted to just go balls to the wall.  My spidey sense tells me there is some degree of FOTM effect going on with the HE-500s, but they seem to offer a lot for that extra $200 spent.  Meanwhile, at $500 for 650s I'm left wondering if I'm better off spending less for something like MDR-1Rs or countless other awesome headphones in the $300-400 range.  Finally, If this Compass DAC/Amp isn't the ideal setup for the upgrades I'm looking to move toward, I am open to upgrading that equipment in the near future, maybe a year out.

So given all my variables, what is my best choice for cans?

My advice will be of little value since I haven't heard MDR-1 and the 650 only briefly (which was very nice) so I won't address them.  But I can vouch for the HE-500.  I had them in the loaner program and spent many hours comparing them to RS-1, Edition 8, D7000 and HD600 and it wasn't even close.  The HE-500 were worlds better in refinement and enjoyment and made the others sound rough and tonally unbalanced, even though they are all fairly close in price.  I now own LCD-2 which I prefer by a hair (the bass is sublime, but merely great in the HE-500) but the HE-500 are immediately enjoyable, whereas the LCD-2 took me a few weeks to appreciate and enjoy.

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #22,646 of 29,490
Quote:
REGARD.

Senns all the way.  If you want added bass, pick up an inexpensive fiio amp with a bass eq.  In a few years after listening a wide variety of music I bet that you will start to prefer a more neutral signature, and you will have an extremely high quality and versatile set of headphones ready for enjoying.

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #22,647 of 29,490
For Dubstep / Drum N' Bass, are the Mad Dogs/ V Moda 100's any good?

I need closed headphones, I'm pairing them with a Digizoid ZO2. Will this device give just about any headphone a sufficient boost in the bass department?

My budget for headphones is 350$.

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #22,648 of 29,490
Hi,
I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones, since my current ones don't appear to produce certain frequencies in the right headphone. Unbelievably annoying, actually
Some info:
Current Headphones: Superlux HD668B
Used For: Hip-Hop, Metal, Classical, Gaming and Movies
Budget: $150

Considering the Grado 60i, but I really have no idea.

Thanks in advance!

Dec 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #22,649 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,
I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones, since my current ones don't appear to produce certain frequencies in the right headphone. Unbelievably annoying, actually
Some info:
Current Headphones: Superlux HD668B
Used For: Hip-Hop, Metal, Classical, Gaming and Movies
Budget: $150

Considering the Grado 60i, but I really have no idea.

Thanks in advance!

What sound signature do you prefer?

What equipment will be powering these can?  Will you use an amp?

Since you are considering the Grado, I assume that open cans that leak sound are OK.

Dec 28, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #22,650 of 29,490
Quote:

PurpleAngel, thanks for the input.  Haven't done the mod for the HD558s because I'm not sure if I'm keeping them yet.  Not bothered by the mids and highs though for them; just want more bass.  Just trying to figure out if I should switch them out for DT770s given the type of music I listen to and for movies.  Does the DT770 sound compressed or in your head?  How would you rate it for movies?  I'm guessing the bass would be great for explosions, etc. but does it work against you for scenes with a lot of dialog?  I'm certainly OK with having mids and highs take a small step back in exchange for more bass (that's what the PAA-1 Pro's signature is like) as long as they're still clear and not completely overshadowed.  

By the way, does anyone know if there are any shops in the Bay Area that carry the DT770s that people can audition, ideally in the south bay?

Thanks!

Bump :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back