++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 26, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #22,576 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys im new here! I'm on a budget so I cant decide between the Sennheiser 218 hd, Sennheiser HD 201 or the Piooner SE-MJ721

What do you think?

If you have a ~$45 budget for the Pionner MJ721 then you have a lot more options than what you listed. The JVC SA400/500 comes to mind. What genres do you listen to?

Dec 26, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #22,578 of 29,490
Quote:
I can spend 700 if it's a good improvement.  Where can I find them for 700 ? :).

Direct from the manufacturer: http://www.head-direct.com  It's a Chinese company and I don't think they charge taxes (I auditioned them in the loaner program and haven't actually purchased them before).  Most headphones you can find used in the fs forum at a discounted price but nobody seems to want to get rid of their HE500.  Enjoy!

Dec 26, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #22,580 of 29,490
Well so far I have Shure SRH550DJ phones, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and neither of them seem to be what I expected them to be. Both sound "nice" but they lack quite a bit when it comes to the EDM music I listen too...

I have heard that the Audio Technica M50's sound pretty good for EDM....what would you guys recommend for EDM? Bass-heavy stuff?

-Delta

NOTE: I run all my music through my HP Pavilion DV7 w/ Beats Audio.

Dec 26, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #22,581 of 29,490
Quote:
Ever since I bought my SR-80s I have been left craving more. The detail is awesome and I really love the grado sound, but I'm not exactly sure what it is that it's lacking...I like headphones that I can kind get lost in and I feel as though its hard with the openess of the headphones...But I am up for more open air headphones if the sound quality is that much better...

So...any suggestions for an upgrade? Are the next level grado's a lot better? 

I love listening to everything so something that's robust would do me good!

Upgrading the Grado line will only give you subtle improvements in sound.  SR60, 80, 125 and 225 have almost exactly the same sound, despite the big price differences.  I found that HF1 & RS-1 remedy the soft bass and intense treble of the SR series but at a very high price.  Get something completely different, there are many great alternatives.  For example, the HD600 has extremely good and well-balanced sound for the price but coming from Grados you might only hear the differences at first, give it time.  I've found that open headphones sound much better than closed headphones in the same price range, get those unless you need sound isolation.

Dec 26, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #22,582 of 29,490
Hi, I'm a newbie in need of some suggestions for my first pair of cans.
Some info:
Max Price: $150 (prefer to buy new)
Source: iPod, no amp
Music: equal parts hard rock, r&b and alternative (also some jazz and classical)
Current shortlist: ath m50 ($130), phiaton ms400 ($120), Philips uptown ($140)

Due to my location (Aus) I won't be able to test any of the phones and am relying totally on reviews/forums. I would like a pair that's built very solidly and will easily last 5+ years. Also, as they will come with me to uni (college) on occasion they need to be somewhat portable and not leak any sound.

No idea what sound signature I like but have cx300-ii in ears and find them too bassy.

Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.

Dec 26, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #22,583 of 29,490
For the AKG Q701, what is the best cost effective amp to unlock it's potential + support dolby headphone? I just got my Titanium HD 2 days ago and now regretting it because of what I'm hearing about the competitive advantages of the dolby headphone feature.

Dec 26, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #22,584 of 29,490
Quote:
Ever since I bought my SR-80s I have been left craving more. The detail is awesome and I really love the grado sound, but I'm not exactly sure what it is that it's lacking...I like headphones that I can kind get lost in and I feel as though its hard with the openess of the headphones...But I am up for more open air headphones if the sound quality is that much better...

So...any suggestions for an upgrade? Are the next level grado's a lot better? 

I love listening to everything so something that's robust would do me good!

Best next step up is the SR 225i--considered by most to be the sweet spot in the SR line.

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #22,585 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
yes 
smile.gif
  If you could spend $700 HE500 would be a noticeable improvement.

I can spend 700 if it's a good improvement.  Where can I find them for 700 ? :).

Audio Advisor is one place that has them:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HMHE500

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #22,586 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys im new here! I'm on a budget so I cant decide between the Sennheiser 218 hd, Sennheiser HD 201 or the Piooner SE-MJ721

What do you think?

What's your budget and other requirements?  There may be some better options.  Be sure to check the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread.

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #22,588 of 29,490
I just picked up a pair of vmoda crossfade lp 89.99, the description and reviews is what I liked deep bass darker sound. do you think there are better options for my 89 bucks? I listen to mostly club, dance hip hop salsa merengue and reggae..

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #22,590 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I'm a newbie in need of some suggestions for my first pair of cans.
Some info:
Max Price: $150 (prefer to buy new)
Source: iPod, no amp
Music: equal parts hard rock, r&b and alternative (also some jazz and classical)
Current shortlist: ath m50 ($130), phiaton ms400 ($120), Philips uptown ($140)

Due to my location (Aus) I won't be able to test any of the phones and am relying totally on reviews/forums. I would like a pair that's built very solidly and will easily last 5+ years. Also, as they will come with me to uni (college) on occasion they need to be somewhat portable and not leak any sound.

No idea what sound signature I like but have cx300-ii in ears and find them too bassy.

Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.

Making the dubious assumption that your prices & availability are close to those in the US, get the Shure SRH 840 (mid bass hump and somewhat recessed highs) or the KRK KNS 8400 for a brighter and more neutral sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back