++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 22, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #20,476 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys I'm looking to get my girlfriend a pair of headphones as a gift. so here's what i need:

Option a (preferred):
  1. relatively small, portable
  2. no amp
  3. balanced
  4. listens to every genre
  5. good leakage/isolation
  6. $60-70 or below

Option B (easier but not preferred);
  1. leakage is acceptable
  2. still needs to be balanced
  3. all genres
  4. can be bigger/not necessarily portable
  5. possibility of an amp, but at low cost, as to not change total
  6. $60-70 or below, as before

So I've been looking at the V6 for option A. I know it has a bit of a v shape, but its what i could find.
For option B I was thinking perhaps Grado SR60i, but they aren't normally that cheap so...

Help guys I've kinda hit a brick wall. thanks

For option A, consider the Beyerdynamic DT-235 or, with much better isolation, better portability, and much better looks, but pushing the limits of your budget and a more bass-centric presentation, the Philips Cityscape Downtowns.

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #20,477 of 29,490
Hey guys, well I kindda have pretty weird specifications so I thought I'd give it shot here.
First of all I own a pair of K550 which I'm more than happy with, but my my only issue with them is that they're gigantic, especially for my tiny head :p
So I recently decided to maybe keep them at home and look for a new pair that are more travel friendly to walk around with. I've tried a couple of IEMs but those never worked. So basically what I'm looking for is a pair of comfortable overear headphones that have good overall sound, decent isolation and are on the cheaper side. I listen to a lot of instrumental music, alternative, metal and all that stuff, but I'm not really picky about how they sound cuz I realized that I don't pay much attention to details while on the move; I'm good with anything as long as it sounds good overall. I've been looking at the ATH-M50 but I think the head band is kindda big lol. My first headphones were bose AE2 or wtv model was out then :p I really liked their size and feel. So to sum it all up...

Style: travel friendly closed overear headphones (preferably not so big)
Use: I'm gonna use them with my ipod only
Sound: as long as they sound good overall doesn't matter that much, but I would prefer a pair with decent isolation
Price: 150 dollars max. Cheaper would be awesome awesome though

Thanks guys any suggestions would help :)

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #20,478 of 29,490
Would you recommend a Mad Dog T50rp as a portable? are they sealed?d
I need a new pair of portable headphones but can't make my decision right now.

which one would you recommend? Mad Dog T50rp, Fostex T50rp(modded), UE6000, DT1350, HD25, Ultrasone pro 750, ... ?

preferred:
good isolation
tight bass
good overall sound
want to drive them with my galaxy s2 and ipod

genre: rock, metal, dubstep, ...

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #20,479 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello all,

I've been lurking for the past week or so, reading reviews and comments. I'm a newcomer to the head-fi idea and was hoping to get some recommendations for a good place to start. I'll try to answer questions I've seen other ask:

Budget: $200. Less is more, but if there's something up to $250 or so that makes a significant difference, I will consider it.

Usage: These headphones would be for use with a computer primarily. I'm an avid gamer, but also enjoy listening to music.  However, there are pretty good odds that I will be wanting to use them with a portable player (esp. iphone 4). If doing so necessitates leaving room in my budget for an amp, that should be accounted for.

Music: I typically listen to a variety of genres. Bands such as Tool, A Perfect Circle, 10 Years, R.E.M., Imogen Heap, and a variety of classical pieces. So well-roundedness would seem to be important.

Previous Headphones: I have some Sennheiser PC-350s (http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PC-350-Collapsible-Microphone/dp/B0012XFDWO) that I absolutely love. Had them for 4 years, but just had to send them in for repairs since I didn't treat them as well as I should have.

Preferences: So as not to disturb my wife while gaming or listening to music, closed headphones are probably better than open.

I'm looking forward to what you all might recommend, and don't feel bad about the wallet.

Quote:
Closed cans, especially in this price range and most especially that don't need an amp, and gaming don't go very well together.  The best choices (music factored in) are probably the KRK KNS 8400 and Shure SRH 840 in that order.

Thank you for your advice. Since I have other options for gaming, I am looking at dropping that requirement (quoted first post since it's several pages back).

Given the music I listen to, a desire to use them on the go as well as with the computer, and a $200-$250 budget: would you still recommend the KRK KNS 8400? Or would you have a different recommendation without using them for gaming? And any recommendations on an amp (preferably so that headphone+amp < $250)?

EDIT: I've seen the Audio-Technica ATH-M50S recommended several places. Would those plus a decent amp make a good option?

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #20,480 of 29,490
Hello everybody. I showed my friend my budget setup (Koss Dj100 and Fiio E5) and he thought that the sound quality was superb. Now he has been researching headphones for the past few days and wants to buy some. He is looking for a closed can that is around $80 that would work well with a fiio e11 (He wants to buy this amp). He is debating between the Koss DJ 100 and the Shure 440. He likes bass, but not too much like the XBs. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #20,481 of 29,490
Hey everyone,

I have a quick question. I'm trying to find good workout headphones. I enjoy running, so earbuds I've tried tend to get really annoying, really fast. I don't think those would be a viable solution. What I'm looking for is audiophile or near audiophile workout headphones (partially because I'm honestly that picky, partially to block out the god awful radio at the gym.) that won't move around too much and will be pretty stable for my workout. I also have a pretty large head, so that's a consideration too.

My budget is around ~$150.00. Currently I have a pair of over the ear headphones that work, but the cord is horribly long. (Beyerdynamic DTX 910s)

Any help anyone could give me or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #20,482 of 29,490
Quote:

Thank you for your advice. Since I have other options for gaming, I am looking at dropping that requirement (quoted first post since it's several pages back).

Given the music I listen to, a desire to use them on the go as well as with the computer, and a $200-$250 budget: would you still recommend the KRK KNS 8400? Or would you have a different recommendation without using them for gaming? And any recommendations on an amp (preferably so that headphone+amp < $250)?

If you don't mind leakage (people will be able to hear what you are listening to) and don't need isolation (you will hear your environment), for all kinds of rock and classical, I think the Grados are great. For example, I would recommend the Grado SR80i over the ATH-M50. 

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #20,483 of 29,490
Beyerdynamic DT 880 600 ohm, re cabled with balanced cable vs Hifiman HE-400 with balanced cable. They would be terminated with a 4 pin XLR. Amping is not an issue since I have an amp that would work great for either one.

Yes, folks, that seems to be the choice I am faced with. Both of these options end up costing around $550 or so. The DT 880 ends up costing so much because of the price of re cabling, while the Hifiman just needs a new cable that plugs right in so there is no labor involved. Is this a no brainer? Is the HE-400 a better choice or am I missing something?

Many thanks.

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #20,485 of 29,490
Quote:
you know how non-audiophiles and their standard stock buds withmuddy bass and almost non existent highs are

What about the Sony MDR-XB700?  Then get him a good headphone amp to boost the bass even more 
beyersmile.png

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #20,486 of 29,490
Quote:

If you don't mind leakage (people will be able to hear what you are listening to) and don't need isolation (you will hear your environment), for all kinds of rock and classical, I think the Grados are great. For example, I would recommend the Grado SR80i over the ATH-M50. 

Both leakage and isolation are important to me. I'd much prefer to have no leakage as not to disturb my wife while listening to music. Both isolation and leakage would be important for using the headphones out and about, e.g. on the bus.

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #20,487 of 29,490
Uggh I having doubts at first I was 100% sure I wanted the He-400 now I can't decide between those and the new V-Moda M-100's. I listen to all kinds of music but more techno, and dance. The M-100's are also about 100 dollars cheaper aaagghhh decisions, decisions.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #20,488 of 29,490
hi, i was looking to upgrade my home system, as i am just playing out of my computer at the moment, through my horrible dell speaker.
i was wondering what what amp/dac should i get, as i am planning on buying the dt990 pro's for home use next year.
I was thinking the nuforce icon hdp, but i was wondering whether there was something better at the price, or cheaper, as i don't want to spend much more than $350.
Thanks in advance.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #20,489 of 29,490
hi, i was looking to upgrade my home system, as i am just playing out of my computer at the moment, through my horrible dell speaker.
i was wondering what what amp/dac should i get, as i am planning on buying the dt990 pro's for home use next year.
I was thinking the nuforce icon hdp, but i was wondering whether there was something better at the price, or cheaper, as i don't want to spend much more than $350.
Thanks in advance.

Hi there. Wrong thread. You should be able to find answers to your amp quesions in this section of the forum. Good luck.

http://www.head-fi.org/f/5/headphone-amps-full-size

Users who are viewing this thread

Back