++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 26, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #19,396 of 29,490
Quote:
I came across Mad Lust Envy's little review of headsets and found it usefull. As a result i thought i would join and get some expert advice.
I am currently in the process of building my computer and have just gotten onto the the sound side of stuff.
I have tried doing research on the subject but keep getting contradicting messages, some people tell me to get one thing and then others say not to so hopefully this is where you guys can help.
Firstly, though not purchased yet i believe i will be going for Asus Xonar Essence STX or the Asus Xonar D2X (recommendations here would be helpfull too).
With regards to the Headphones im looking to spend around £200.
I game (for fun), watch movies and listen to ALOT of music. Possible options that i have seen are:
Sennheisers PC360's
Sennheisers HD598's
Astro A40's
Beats by Dr Dre Solo Wireless on Ear Wireless Bluetooth
Would it be worthwhile getting something such as a Mixamp aswell?
Recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

The Essence STX comes with a headphone amplifier, the D2X does not, so get the STX.
I would think the HD598 would have the best sound quality.
Once your using the Essence STX, can't see why you would need to buy a Mix-Amp.

Sep 26, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #19,397 of 29,490
Hi,

Thank you for the replies.

Your comments coupled with what i have read online have led to me getting the HD598's.

Just ordered them, hopefully they are as good as people are saying.

Going to buy myself a cheap clip on mic :D.

Havn't ordered the Essence STX yet, was going to wait a bit before ordering it.

Will i be able to use the headphones on mny mobo for the time being through the standard port?

Sep 26, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #19,398 of 29,490
Quote:
Your comments coupled with what i have read online have led to me getting the HD598's.
Just ordered them, hopefully they are as good as people are saying.
Going to buy myself a cheap clip on mic :D.
Havn't ordered the Essence STX yet, was going to wait a bit before ordering it.
Will i be able to use the headphones on mny mobo for the time being through the standard port?

As the HD509s are only 50-Ohm, they should work plugged into just about anything.
The Essence STX will make headphones sound better then any motherboard.

Sep 26, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #19,399 of 29,490
Thank you again Purple :D

Will be interesting to see the difference between my MOBO sound quality and then straight to what alot of people consider to be one of the best sounds cards.

This will be the first time i go from a cheap pair of Turtle beaches running from my MOBO to a fairly expensive pair of headphones running on a good sounds card.

I'm hoping i will be amazed :D

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #19,400 of 29,490
An inexpensive upgrade for the time being could be the FiiO e10 for like 50 bucks. Dac amp combo. i would imagine you will notice a noticeable difference.

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #19,401 of 29,490
I currently owned Fiio E17, I know this will not properly drive the 650. But will it atleast work, considering e5 can? it will be temporary until I have spare money to buy a decent amp.
Also any word for the 650 soundstage anyone? maybe compared with the 990pro?

Soundstage is about the same as dt880 though I remember the 880 having a slightly larger soundstage and a somewhat better imaging

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #19,402 of 29,490
Quote:
Thank you again Purple :D

Will be interesting to see the difference between my MOBO sound quality and then straight to what alot of people consider to be one of the best sounds cards.

This will be the first time i go from a cheap pair of Turtle beaches running from my MOBO to a fairly expensive pair of headphones running on a good sounds card.

I'm hoping i will be amazed :D

One thing worth mentioning is that the HD598 terminates into a 1/4" plug. It does come with an adapter to plug into 1/8" jacks, but I think that it is a bit bulky, so you may also want to consider something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200807136310?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Not completely necessary, but just giving you a heads-up in case you have any issues/it bothers you

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #19,403 of 29,490
An inexpensive upgrade for the time being could be the FiiO e10 for like 50 bucks. Dac amp combo. i would imagine you will notice a noticeable difference.

Problem specifically with 650 is that it is quite picky with amps, honestly it'd be better IMO to get a cheaper headphone and a better Amp. My philosophy for budgeting would be 65 % headphones, 35% amp. I mean, why buy an e10 just to never use it again after a month?

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #19,404 of 29,490
Quote:
Problem specifically with 650 is that it is quite picky with amps, honestly it'd be better IMO to get a cheaper headphone and a better Amp. My philosophy for budgeting would be 65 % headphones, 35% amp. I mean, why buy an e10 just to never use it again after a month?

I think he was referring to the post about the HD598 and the Essence STX.

I agree with your breakdown in budgeting though. It is really tempting to spend all of your budget on the best headphone you can, but until you've had the experience of trying different headphoens, amps, annd dacs, it is difficult to understand how much difference the dac/amp can make. I don't have much experience with amps and dacs myself, but I noticed a huge difference between the HRT headstreamer and the FiiO E7. I also noticed a difference in the headstreamer and the odac, so I am aware of how much the dac and amp will affect your listening experience.

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #19,405 of 29,490
I will be ordering the Essence STX in the next few days so no point getting a cheaper one for now, thank you though.

Hopefully the Essence STX + Sennheiser HD598 combo will be good.

Budgeting wise, thats about 50% on the card and 50% on the headphones.

Sep 26, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #19,406 of 29,490
I currently am using a fostex hp-p1 and am about to drop the hammer on a separate portable amp to cover everything to the baddest planar magnetic to sensitive iems. I am open to suggestions. In my current state my top two contenders are the SR-71B and the Triad Audio L3. The iBasso D12 is attractive to me because of it's optical input, but that is not necessary. 

Sep 26, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #19,407 of 29,490
I will be ordering the Essence STX in the next few days so no point getting a cheaper one for now, thank you though.

Hopefully the Essence STX + Sennheiser HD598 combo will be good.

Budgeting wise, thats about 50% on the card and 50% on the headphones.

@hipster2010: Yes thank you my post was directed towaed purejaz/hd598

Good luck purejaz. Let us know how it all works out for ya. Will certainly be a major improvement over the turtlebeach setup!

Sep 26, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #19,408 of 29,490
Quote:
Soundstage is about the same as dt880 though I remember the 880 having a slightly larger soundstage and a somewhat better imaging

agree'd, I'm getting ready to get some dt 880s a cMoy and a hifiman hm 601 as my new portable set up, hoping to use the heck out of those dt 880s, maybe they'll do DnB better than my Sub heavy XB 700s >.>

Sep 26, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #19,409 of 29,490
Hey guys, i'm planning to get a new pair of headphones in the $150-$200 price range, i currently own a pair of Technics RPDJ-1200A which i got for a really good price a few years ago,  i like their sound but i think it's about time i get something better.

I want to get the best headphones i can get for my money and i'll most likely be getting them from amazon, i'll try to list what i want them to be:

*Circum aural.
*I'd prefer a detachable cable.
*Comfortable, i'd love something that i'd be able to wear for hours.
*I'd prefer a flat response, i listen to all kinds of music so the closer to a flat one the better.
*Closed ones (though if there's a vast difference i'm willing to consider open ones too).
*I'd like to be able to use my mobile devices with them.
*And of course sound quality as the most important thing in this list.

I could probably go a bit further than the $200 mark but not by much (It's also worth noting that i really like Sennheisers so if there's any that meets my needs i'd liketo hear about it).

What do you guys recommend? Thanks for your help.

Sep 26, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #19,410 of 29,490
Hi,
I am looking for a headphones in the $100-$150 range. Source is an unamped iPod touch, music is lossless, 320 Kbps, 256kbps AAC rock, alternative, R&B, electronica, pop and mainstream music. I am looking for over ear only and preferably closed though I am open to open can suggestions. I am looking for the highest music quality possible.

Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back