++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 26, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #19,411 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,
I am looking for a headphones in the $100-$150 range. Source is an unamped iPod touch, music is lossless, 320 Kbps, 256kbps AAC rock, alternative, R&B, electronica, pop and mainstream music. I am looking for over ear only and preferably closed though I am open to open can suggestions. I am looking for the highest music quality possible.
Any suggestions?

for the genres you listen to, probably anything by a good company is okay.

Sep 26, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #19,412 of 29,490
I guess the Senns HD280 could be good for you (according to reviews they are great in their price range) but i tried those at an store and i preferred the sound on my Technics, those were kinda muddy in comparison (thought those might have been a faulty unit or something as i've read everywhere that those are better) but a lot more comfortable, i could picture myself wearing them for hours, you may want to take a look at the HD449s, the reviews i've seen about them say they're great but i have yet to try them.

Sep 26, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #19,413 of 29,490
Yeah honestly I'm considering getting the ATH-M50s. Pretty solid choice and only $111 on Amazon.

There's another couple I'm looking at and those are the Shure SRH840 and Fostex T50 (new version). More so on the Shure though.

I've been debating for some weeks now but I'm not sure which one to pick up.

Sep 26, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #19,414 of 29,490
Yeah honestly I'm considering getting the ATH-M50s. Pretty solid choice and only $111 on Amazon.
There's another couple I'm looking at and those are the Shure SRH840 and Fostex T50 (new version). More so on the Shure though.

Ugh right now there's a $60 price difference between the SRH840s and the M50s. I don't think the Shures are good enough to justify that.

How about the Sennheiser HD558s? I've never used a Sennheiser before so any comparisons between it and the M50 is appreciated.

Sep 26, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #19,415 of 29,490
Quote:
How about the Sennheiser HD558s? I've never used a Sennheiser before so any comparisons between it and the M50 is appreciated.

Completely different cans. The HD558 is an open can with no bass emphasis and a wide soundstage. the M50 is closed, has a bass emphasis and will have a more narrow soundstage.

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #19,418 of 29,490
Quote:
Problem specifically with 650 is that it is quite picky with amps, honestly it'd be better IMO to get a cheaper headphone and a better Amp. My philosophy for budgeting would be 65 % headphones, 35% amp. I mean, why buy an e10 just to never use it again after a month?

I'm hoping that the 650 will last me few years, with just replaceable cable and replace amp/dac. If I buy the 990, I will be tempted to buy the 650 eventually.
Just like when I buy the ue500 after I buy M50. After my ear have being "updated" with M50, I'm craving more for IEM, thats where the IE8 comes... after that, My ear being "upgraded again" with SQ and soundstage wide of IE8, now I'm craving more with my M50...
I'm hoping that 650 will be more longer term investment, since the upper level of it is very expensive and I might not want to spend that much money just for a cans...

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #19,419 of 29,490
Quote:

I spent a few hours each with the M50S and the Fostex T50RP. The planar sound of the Fostex can't be to everybody's liking, but it was to mine. Either there's a almost subliminal background noise in the Fostex or there's no such noise at all. I've never heard anything like it. It doesn't compare, except maybe for its attack and its bass, to the HD 650 but I understand it's often available for ~$70.

I'm keeping the T50RP and giving away the M50S. But that's just one opinion.

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #19,421 of 29,490
Quote:

get the t50rp and mod the heck out of them 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back