++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 26, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #19,382 of 29,490
Quote:
Matt, yes that is exactly what I'm thinking now. For 650, I will have better investment in the long run. Better SQ no question, replaceable cable to say example. But I must put more money to enjoy the 650 to the fullest.
Since I also do gaming beside music listening for the cans, I'm still stuck between the 650 and beyer 990 pro 250... The problem now that there are no thread saying the 650 is suitable for gaming. There are non even mentioning the soundstage. Compared to the beyer 990, which has tons of threads praising it for gaming and wide soundstage.
If you can do game with those 2 cans, can you please make comparison between those two? I usually play CS go, tf2, l4d2 and sc2.  Soundstage in particular.
I will appreciate your help.

ok, i owned HD650 for about 3 days, and resold them immediately cause they're just so lifeless and unenergetic. the headphones are really dark with disappointing highs that lack any sparkle at all. the bass has a good amount of quantity, but i felt the quality was just ok in comparison to my dt880. the mids are quite smooth, good for vocals. problem is, the 650 is so laid back and slow, it cannot keep pace with genres like metal or rock. i don't know what the HD650 is good for, but for the genres i listened to, it was for the most part, boring, slow and lifeless. however, it does sound quite accurate and has good detail retrieval, below dt880 but very respectable.
also, do not listen to posters above, low end amps cannot power this thing. i've listened to the 650 through a fiio e11, hifiman EF2A and and EF-5. it was disgustingly veiled on the e11, still a bit veiled on the EF2A and barely tolerable on the EF-5. the amp i have heard a lot of people rave about having great synergy with the 650 is the bottlehead crack w/ speedball but that costs 400$ and is DIY and i can attest to its value, but it might be out of your budget.
tl;dr
DO NOT buy the hd650 if you want energetic and fun cans
DO NOT buy the hd650 with a low-fi amp

however, if you like a warm sound signature and listen to very slow genres of music, it'd be alright for you, just be prepared to be disappointed when you plug it into a fiio or anything of the sort.

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #19,384 of 29,490
Sep 26, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #19,385 of 29,490
Quote:
What should I pick?

Koss porta pro

seenheiser hd 449, hd 429

Audiotechnica ath-m35

shure SRH240-A

My budget is close 100$. Types of music: Every genre but very little rap and metal.

I agree with Devhen's suggestion of the DT-235, which would be well under your budget.  Of the headphones you suggest, I am familiar with the PortaPro, which
would also be a very good choice.  I also own the SHR240 (not 240-A), and I find it to be a step below the DT-235 and the PortaPro in sound quality and comfort.  It isolates well, however.

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #19,386 of 29,490
Quote:
Don't know your sound card, but assuming that it is as good as an iPhone 4, add the KRK KNS 8400 (just over $100) and 6400 (currently about $90) to your list.

Quote:
Hello, looking to buy a pair of open headphones for sub $130 that is balanced for all types of music.

Prefer over-the-ear ones similar to Sennheiser HD518, but I don't mind trying on-ears like Grado 60/80i if its recommended.  Bonus points for comfort-ability

My budget was under $100, but I hear good things about the HD518 and the 558/598s are definitely not in range.  Not planning to use a headphone amp, and will mostly be using it in a Xonar DG soundcard.  

You should also consider the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700---maybe you can stay under $100 after all...

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #19,387 of 29,490
Quote:

The E17 does have an amp only section but if you don't need the builtin DAC I would go with the E11 since it has a bit more power.

I'm going cMoy BB 2.03 from JDS Labs, Rechargeable 2x9V, for cheaper than a E17 <3 it's gonna be nice! Altough guys what frequancy does the cMoy boost? I've been told the E11 is VERY sub heavy, where as te E6 is Mid bass Boosting... I'd like something like the E11 with that big Sub Boost...

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #19,388 of 29,490
Quote:

I don't agree with this.

I agree with this. 100%.

FiiO E5 works great with the HD 650, except for very quiet sources.

I currently owned Fiio E17, I know this will not properly drive the 650. But will it atleast work, considering e5 can? it will be temporary until I have spare money to buy a decent amp.
Also any word for the 650 soundstage anyone? maybe compared with the 990pro?

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #19,390 of 29,490
Quote:
I currently owned Fiio E17, I know this will not properly drive the 650. But will it atleast work, considering e5 can? it will be temporary until I have spare money to buy a decent amp.

this might help a little, but unfortunately it is pretty short
http://www.head-fi.org/t/124097/hd650-for-gaming

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #19,391 of 29,490

You said you are trying to save money.

dsnuts raves about this dac/amp: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIRE-PHOENIX-DAC-02-CS4398-LM4562-MINI-USB-DAC-Headphone-Amplifier-/180738679826?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item2a14dd6412

It supports 300ohm cans. I'd imagine it has enough power to run the 650. Not sure if anyone here has tried it with the 650......?

I have about 1-2 months time before choosing which one to replace the M50.

Since you said you are purchasing in about a month or longer, you can keep checking here to see if they get these back in stock. I bought a refurb from VM and they were in sennheiser refurb packaging, unopened and in like-new condition. They had that refurbed 650 in stock a few weeks ago. Call em and ask when they will get more.

http://www.vminnovations.com/Product_14573/Sennheiser-HD650-Open-Air-Dynamic-Audiophile-Headphone-Refurbished-.html

If that pans out for you you will have DAC+AMP+650 = 400 clams.... Not bad.

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #19,392 of 29,490
Quote:

You should also consider the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700---maybe you can stay under $100 after all...

I wouldn't go with the ATH AD 700 it's rather lacking in the bass department [although I guess u could amp it] , although I here it's great for games as the sound stage is huge. I here the Koss Pro DJ's are really good when your on a budget!

Quote:
Then I got an idea..... get the E11... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

... but your missing the point, the cMoy has a bigger overall bass boost more power and less RF noise. The cMoy is a better amp the only question is in what frequancy it's gives it's BIG boost, really and truthfully I could use a Mid Boost seeing as the XB 700 is terrible with mids, but seeing as I plan to run only Dub Step on my xb 700's I dont have much of a need for boost [the only dub step plan is working nicely <3] So if let's say I got a Mid Boosting amp [like the Fiio E6 I have now] that would not be terriably bad [seeing as the cMoy has a much BIGGER boost than the e6]

So Fiio I love ur stuff but I wan't something a little more unique and superior! That's where teh cMoy comes in, although it does cost $20 more, still worth it imo

So get the e11... bad idea <3 since the cMoy is comparble to the E11 except it's a little better, but agian the issue I have is where is the bass boosted [my e6 boost sub but not like it does mids] this concept was discussed with the E17 or E11 debate, the E11 has More Sub than the E17 I believe, hence E11 is a better bass boost then the E17 still the E17

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #19,393 of 29,490
Quote:

I don't know the E17. If you don't like it with the HD 650's, I don't know why you'd like the E5 either. It might not be the one for you even if I liked it.

I ordered the HD 650's and a Matrix M-Stage at the same time. The Matrix took weeks to get to the US from China so I bought the FiiO E5 to play with. Except for its limited, fixed gain, I was completely satisfied using it with the 650's.

YMMV

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #19,394 of 29,490
Hi,

I came across Mad Lust Envy's little review of headsets and found it usefull. As a result i thought i would join and get some expert advice.

I am currently in the process of building my computer and have just gotten onto the the sound side of stuff.

I have tried doing research on the subject but keep getting contradicting messages, some people tell me to get one thing and then others say not to so hopefully this is where you guys can help.

Firstly, though not purchased yet i believe i will be going for Asus Xonar Essence STX or the Asus Xonar D2X (recommendations here would be helpfull too).

With regards to the Headphones im looking to spend around £200.

I game (for fun), watch movies and listen to ALOT of music. Possible options that i have seen are:

Sennheisers PC360's
Sennheisers HD598's
Astro A40's
Beats by Dr Dre Solo Wireless on Ear Wireless Bluetooth

Would it be worthwhile getting something such as a Mixamp aswell?

Recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #19,395 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,

I came across Mad Lust Envy's little review of headsets and found it usefull. As a result i thought i would join and get some expert advice.

I am currently in the process of building my computer and have just gotten onto the the sound side of stuff.

I have tried doing research on the subject but keep getting contradicting messages, some people tell me to get one thing and then others say not to so hopefully this is where you guys can help.

Firstly, though not purchased yet i believe i will be going for Asus Xonar Essence STX or the Asus Xonar D2X (recommendations here would be helpfull too).

With regards to the Headphones im looking to spend around £200.

I game (for fun), watch movies and listen to ALOT of music. Possible options that i have seen are:

Sennheisers PC360's
Sennheisers HD598's
Astro A40's
Beats by Dr Dre Solo Wireless on Ear Wireless Bluetooth

Would it be worthwhile getting something such as a Mixamp aswell?

Recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

My vote for your headphone is the HD598. It is a great all-rounder for gaming, movies, and music. It is open, which gives it a great soundstage, but will not have isolation and leaks sound if that matters at all. One of the best parts is that it is super comfortable so you can wear it for hours. I have not heard the other headphones on your list, but will tell you now that the Beats will not be good for gaming/movies, nor will it give good sound relative to others in its price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back