++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 26, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #19,368 of 29,490
It can power it. I used the E7 to power my dt770 250ohm

How about the senn hd 650, anyone know if its too much for the e17? I know it will not properly drive the 650, but is it overkill for the 650 or just ok?
Source via asus g73jw if its help.
Also, how about soundstage wise compared to 770 And 990 pro? I still not got the answer for this yet.

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #19,369 of 29,490
Quote:
How about the senn hd 650, anyone know if its too much for the e17? I know it will not properly drive the 650, but is it overkill for the 650 or just ok?
Also, how about soundstage wise compared to 770 And 990 pro? I still not got the answer for this yet.

No idea how the e17 will work with the HD650.

Check out this thread for an extensive review of the different Beyer 770/880/990 models
http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #19,370 of 29,490
Quote:
Why does the headphone have to be open? Nothing wrong with open cans, just curious as to why that is a requirement.

I have not heard the HD518, but have heard the 555/595/598 and they are nice, comfortable, and work pretty well for anything but bass heavy music. The other open can I would look to in your range is the AD700 which you also listed. Even lighter on bass than the Sennheisers, but known for its great big soundstage.

Wanted an open can mostly for experimenting.  Having a big soundstage from open-back headphones sounds very interesting, sound leakage is not a problem for me with home usage, and I've had issues with too much bass before.
But still if the AD700 seems lacking on bass side, it makes me lean even more towards Sennheisers as I want to be as well rounded as possible.  Think I may have came to decision unless there are other recommendations and maybe more info on cheaper alternatives like Technical Pro HPT990.

Sep 26, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #19,372 of 29,490
Quote:
No idea how the e17 will work with the HD650.

Check out this thread for an extensive review of the different Beyer 770/880/990 models
http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

Thanks for the useful link and thank you to Mad lust envy for his useful gaming headphone thread.
Now I just narrow it for beyer 990 pro 250 ohm (220usd) and 650 (360 usd). Although, I most likely will choose the beyer and pair it with Fiio E17.
Any last advice from seniors here? Next time I will try the comfort and sound of the Beyer. If ok, then I'm sold.

Sep 26, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #19,373 of 29,490
Had started a new thread but was told to post this here:

So I've done a fair amount of research online and as expected there are a variety of recommendations. I mainly listen to house, trance and techno music. Budget isn't really an issue, I'm prepared to pay for top quality if necessary.

Initially I'll only be using them for casual listening such as while travelling on the bus or train, at home and even possibly in the gym. However I do eventually intend to get into DJing once I have the time and equipment, so ideally I'm after a pair which would be good in both ways.

From what I've seen the one's which are most commonly suggested are the Pioneer HDJ-2000's, Senn HD 25's, Audio Technica ATH-M50's and Shure SRH750DJ's. The Pioneer's were also suggested to me by my cousin who DJ's in various clubs around my local town, but the impression I got from reading about them was that they're for use in the studio and professionally rather than leisurely. 

So are those the kind of ones I should be looking at? An advantage for the Pioneer's is that my local music shop stocks them so I'd have the chance to give them a run in store, as opposed to the others. I've also looked at the HDJ-500's and HDJ-1000's, both obviously a fair whack cheaper than the 2000's. How do you rate them? More appropriate for one in my situation?

Any suggestions on those I mentioned or any others would be much appreciated.

Sep 26, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #19,374 of 29,490
Quote:

Widdy...after a very long and enjoyable hp journey, I've finally got to listen the hd650 and bought them after getting to borrow a pair for the weekend. They are simply fantastic. They e17 will just barely drive them. It sound okay. I use the e17 and ipod as a portable rig but it doesn't quite do it for me with the hd650. Now a small step up to the e09k and an odac and there is a clear improvement and the hd650 really begins to shine. It's a great bang for the buck combo to drive the hd650. There are other more expensive options that the hd650 will scale better with. I highly recommend this hp.

You can pm me if you want more detail.
gL!!

Sep 26, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #19,375 of 29,490
Quote:

Widdy...after a very long and enjoyable hp journey, I've finally got to listen the hd650 and bought them after getting to borrow a pair for the weekend. They are simply fantastic. They e17 will just barely drive them. It sound okay. I use the e17 and ipod as a portable rig but it doesn't quite do it for me with the hd650. Now a small step up to the e09k and an odac and there is a clear improvement and the hd650 really begins to shine. It's a great bang for the buck combo to drive the hd650. There are other more expensive options that the hd650 will scale better with. I highly recommend this hp.

You can pm me if you want more detail.
gL!!

Thanks Matt for the info. Now I narrowed my option to the 650 and beyer 990 pro 250ohm. Although I'm leaning towards the beyer now. I just need to test for comfort and sound later when I have the time.
For amp, now I only have the e17, and not planning do add anything soon. Money is pretty tight now. Source will be Asus G73 and will only use the cans indoor.
I really liked the 650 sound, but I need to invest quite more for it than the beyer for better amp. Also, I don't know if its good for gaming (cs go, l4d2 and sc2) While the beyer 990pro is known good for gaming. Music wise, I think I will like the Beyer, but need to test it first.
From review, it seems that almost like my IE8, which I like and huge soundstage (A must for me). Soundstage for the 650 is still unknown for me. There are no info regarding this compared to the beyer 990pro, that's why my preference to Beyer.
Coming from M50, the 650 and 990 pro250 will be an upgrade I think. I have like 1 month before deciding which pair of cans will I buy to replace the M50.

Sep 26, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #19,376 of 29,490
Widdy, I've owned the dt990. I really liked it and so would you. But let me say this, the hd650 slams it to floor and chokes the life out of the Beyer. Of course, I exaggerate here for effect, slightly, but honestly these two hp's are not in the same class. 

I was once an avid gamer. Wee hours of the morning many nights each week. I have not done much gaming in the past year. I have Max Payne 3 sitting on my HD unplayed. So I can not attest to the gaming potential of the hd650, only it's musical prowess. You will save money in the long run by starting with the hd650.

gL!!

Sep 26, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #19,377 of 29,490
T he DT990 pro is comfy however i hated how the drivers touched my ears so i put some cotton balls in the space between the pads to give more space...... the bass Softened up but was still there the mids appeared although still recessed and the highs were still magnificent...
It wont be as technically competent as the HD650 however a Fiio E17 wont ever be enough for an HD650 
dt880smile.png

Personally I think Im biased as I love my DT990 pro and how musical it is (chose it over the D2000) 

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #19,378 of 29,490
Quote:
Widdy, I've owned the dt990. I really liked it and so would you. But let me say this, the hd650 slams it to floor and chokes the life out of the Beyer. Of course, I exaggerate here for effect, slightly, but honestly these two hp's are not in the same class. 

I was once an avid gamer. Wee hours of the morning many nights each week. I have not done much gaming in the past year. I have Max Payne 3 sitting on my HD unplayed. So I can not attest to the gaming potential of the hd650, only it's musical prowess. You will save money in the long run by starting with the hd650.

gL!!

Matt, yes that is exactly what I'm thinking now. For 650, I will have better investment in the long run. Better SQ no question, replaceable cable to say example. But I must put more money to enjoy the 650 to the fullest.
Since I also do gaming beside music listening for the cans, I'm still stuck between the 650 and beyer 990 pro 250... The problem now that there are no thread saying the 650 is suitable for gaming. There are non even mentioning the soundstage. Compared to the beyer 990, which has tons of threads praising it for gaming and wide soundstage.
If you can do game with those 2 cans, can you please make comparison between those two? I usually play CS go, tf2, l4d2 and sc2.  Soundstage in particular.
I will appreciate your help.

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #19,379 of 29,490
Quote:

I know how comfy the 770 is, and it probably the comfiest cans I have ever tried so far. I think the 990 will be the same. The 650 is a bit tight but still comfy IMO. Unlike the m50, that thing is a torture...
I know the fiio will not properly amp the 650, but if I buy it, I will think of it as early investment. Since the cable is replaceable dan SQ will be better than the 990pro.
For Beyer, its the safest choice for me now, since all threads praising it for gaming use and wide soundstage. I also think that the beyer will also satisfy my music need, but not as 650...
I have about 1-2 months time before choosing which one to replace the M50.

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #19,380 of 29,490
Quote:
I know how comfy the 770 is, and it probably the comfiest cans I have ever tried so far. I think the 990 will be the same. The 650 is a bit tight but still comfy IMO. Unlike the m50, that thing is a torture...
I know the fiio will not properly amp the 650, but if I buy it, I will think of it as early investment. Since the cable is replaceable dan SQ will be better than the 990pro.
For Beyer, its the safest choice for me now, since all threads praising it for gaming use and wide soundstage. I also think that the beyer will also satisfy my music need, but not as 650...
I have about 1-2 months time before choosing which one to replace the M50.

what do you like? Maybe just Maybe the DT880 might be fine... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back