++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 2, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #18,676 of 29,490
Quote:
The 598's were my first choice so far too. I've read some people saying that they even prefer the 598's to the 650's. And for the price it seems like one of the best choices. How does AKG K550 compare though, and what kind of amp's should I be looking at?

The 550 is closed, inferior in sound stage and requires a seal to perform at its capactity.  Getting this seal can be a problem if you have facial hair/sideburns or even (for some) glasses.  With a proper seal, it will have better bass than the HD 598.

Can't help you much with the amp, question as I do my serious headphone listening without a computer involved.  I can tell you that the HiFiMan EF2A desktop amp/dac is an affordable option that can even push the HD 600/650.

Sep 2, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #18,677 of 29,490
Ok... so I narrowed it down to a couple of headphone that I need some advice on which to buy.

Background:
  • They must be closed (are going to be used in a close office environment)

• Soundsource: mainly Spotify (320 Kbps)

• Music genre: Jazz, classical, soundtrack and a bit of rock and electronic thrown in for good measure

• Amp/DAC: FiiO E10

• Current headphones: Denon AH-D750 (like them very very much, but they are breaking apart)

My budget allows me to consider the following headphones:
  • Ultrasone PRO 750 (€ 244)
  • Audio Technica ATH-M50 (€ 145)
  • AKG K550 (€ 187)

I like a headphone with a wide frequency range (soundscape) and a solid bass)

So which should I go for? 

(or should I just break the bank and go for the new Denon AH-D600 (aprox € 400) ?

Anyone have a recommendation for the above question?

Thanks

Sep 2, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #18,678 of 29,490
Folks

Anyone have any experience with AKG K142HD what is difference between K 240 studios?  besides on-ear around ear?

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K142HD-Definition-Semi-Open-Headphones/dp/B0028N78HA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346583790&sr=8-1&keywords=akg+k142hd

Sep 2, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #18,679 of 29,490
Hey guys, I am going to buy a new pair of headphones and though you could really help me.:D

I mostly listen to rock, progressive rock, alternative rock, a bit of metal and electro(mostly house and a bit of dubstep). I don't have plenty of option as i'm going to buy it from the italian amazon. I've been searching about it and think that the best options I have are the akg's K550 and the beyerdynamic's DT 880. Which one of these you think would be most suitable for me? Do you have any other suggestions(my budget is about €300)? I'll mostly use it in home so I guess a open headphone would also be something to consider. I'd appreciate any suggestion of open cans in this price range too.

I'm also going to buy 2 headphone amps, one for my desktop and one(tiny) portable. I think my best options are the fiio e10 for my desktop and the e6 for portable use. Do you also have any other suggestions? Budget for both is about €100.

I know that some people complain about the bass of the K550 but do you think it really is this bad? This problem can be resolved by the bass boost from the amps?

I'd really appreciate any suggestion from you guys. Just to remember my budget for the headphone and amps combo is about €400.

Thanks!

Sep 2, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #18,680 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, I am going to buy a new pair of headphones and though you could really help me.
biggrin.gif

I mostly listen to rock, progressive rock, alternative rock, a bit of metal and electro(mostly house and a bit of dubstep). I don't have plenty of option as i'm going to buy it from the italian amazon. I've been searching about it and think that the best options I have are the akg's K550 and the beyerdynamic's DT 880. Which one of these you think would be most suitable for me? Do you have any other suggestions(my budget is about €300)? I'll mostly use it in home so I guess a open headphone would also be something to consider. I'd appreciate any suggestion of open cans in this price range too.
I'm also going to buy 2 headphone amps, one for my desktop and one(tiny) portable. I think my best options are the fiio e10 for my desktop and the e6 for portable use. Do you also have any other suggestions? Budget for both is about €100.
I know that some people complain about the bass of the K550 but do you think it really is this bad? This problem can be resolved by the bass boost from the amps?
I'd really appreciate any suggestion from you guys. Just to remember my budget for the headphone and amps combo is about €400.
Thanks!

The DT 880 was the Beyer Flagship.  It is an outstanding and very well built can.  It does not suffer from the seal problems for some that make the 550 an uncertain choice for anyone with facial hair, sideburns or (sometimes) glasses. 

Sep 2, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #18,682 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok... so I narrowed it down to a couple of headphone that I need some advice on which to buy.

Background:
  1. They must be closed (are going to be used in a close office environment)
  2. Soundsource: mainly Spotify (320 Kbps)
  3. Music genre: Jazz, classical, soundtrack and a bit of rock and electronic thrown in for good measure
  4. Amp/DAC: FiiO E10
  5. Current headphones: Denon AH-D750 (like them very very much, but they are breaking apart)

My budget allows me to consider the following headphones:
  1. Ultrasone PRO 750 (€ 244)
  2. Audio Technica ATH-M50 (€ 145)
  3. AKG K550 (€ 187)

I like a headphone with a wide frequency range (soundscape) and a solid bass)

So which should I go for? 

(or should I just break the bank and go for the new Denon AH-D600 (aprox € 400) ?

spotify is not 320 kbps

Sep 2, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #18,683 of 29,490
Should i get the Philips Fidelio L1's, Pioneer HDJ-2000, the new UE 9000 headphones. (they look amazing) or the JH5 PRO CIEM'S??? i know it's a dumb comparison, but any suggestions? Bear in mind  i might wanna share my music with others sometimes, and also that the CIEM'S would be really convenient because i am a drummer.

Sep 2, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #18,685 of 29,490
No, think max i will go is a portable one for $100. Would prefer not to. That's why i'm heavily swayed for the IEM's, but the main hinderance is im 14 and i think i will outgrow those quick and will have to get them remolded. Thanks for replying so promptly.

Sep 2, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #18,688 of 29,490
Quote:
No, think max i will go is a portable one for $100. Would prefer not to. That's why i'm heavily swayed for the IEM's, but the main hinderance is im 14 and i think i will outgrow those quick and will have to get them remolded. Thanks for replying so promptly.

sorry to say but i'm 15 and if i were you i'd wait until you're 18-21 that's when your body will stop changing. so don't go for CIEM's maybe for universal fit IEM's? look in to the Ultimate Ears TF10 or for cans ofcourse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back