++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 2, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #18,692 of 29,490
Quote:
Since you have to get a closed can, I think that the Shure SRH 940 is the best match within your budget, although it might be a bit bass light for what you described.  It needs an amp.  However, I don't own any portable amps and can't help with that issue.

An option with more bass is the Ultrasone Pro 750.  It too needs an amp.

Thanks... 

Ok... so I narrowed it down to a couple of headphone that I need some advice on which to buy.

Background:
  1. They must be closed (are going to be used in a close office environment)
  2. Soundsource: mainly Spotify (320 Kbps - http://www.spotify.com/dk/blog/archives/2009/06/25/bumping-up-the-bitrate/)
  3. Music genre: Jazz, classical, soundtrack and a bit of rock and electronic thrown in for good measure
  4. Amp/DAC: FiiO E10
  5. Current headphones: Denon AH-D750 (like them very very much, but they are breaking apart)

My budget allows me to consider the following headphones:
  1. Ultrasone PRO 750 (€ 244)
  2. Audio Technica ATH-M50 (€ 145)
  3. AKG K550 (€ 187)

I like a headphone with a wide frequency range (soundscape) and a solid bass

So which should I go for? 

Last remark: My local hifi store have the new Denon AH-D600 on sale for aprox. € 400 - should I just bite the bullet and break the bank and get these instead? 
bigsmile_face.gif
 Or would that be overkill considering the source?

Sep 2, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #18,693 of 29,490
Quote:
I've just been demoing the M50s (see my recent post in this thread earlier this weekend). To me, so far the M50 is slightly colder, brighter than the HFI-780. I don't see how the M50s could be less harsh than the 780s (which I don't find harsh now that they are broken in for over 100 hours).  While the jury is still out because the M50s need to burn in a lot more, I suspect that they will be more fatiguing in terms of treble. And so far, the 780 seems the better all around headphone to me by an easy margin. 

And I agree with hipster 2010. Narrow it down to 2 pairs and buy both from Amazon. Start 'em both burning in right away. Then after you have had a chance to listen to both, send one back. Return shipping won't be that high for a set of headphones, and you'll better avoid buyer's remorse. 

Hm interesting. I heard Ultrasones were rather harsh and sibilant?

I heard the 840s don't experience too much change with burn-in and sound good pretty much right out of the box. 

Quote:
Can't say that I agree across the board with regard to Senn, Grado and AT in the U.S. market.  Your point may be the most true with regard to the Senns, but a number of lower level cans appears to have been left off the MAP. 

The Grado SR 60i & 80i are some of the best cans for the money that you can find.  Your point is more valid as you head up line.

The AT's are all over the map and vary from time to time.  The M50 has been high and low priced.  Currently the ATH-AD700 is very attractively price at Amazon for $89 shipped.

Grados I heard were more vocal oriented with not much bass. If this is true, they're not really with my tastes. 
M50s can be found at $120 on Amazon, which is no problem and a bargain, comparing to my overpriced Bose QC15s. lol. 

Quote:
There's hd 380 pro. A bit dull and boring sounding, and an edgy midrange sound. DT 770 have insane bass, and 32 ohm version is now in stock at BH. It is $249, but the 80 ohm version is actually very good running out of an iphone. The 80 ohm is $199. I love Ultrasone. HFI 580 ($189, but can be had for $120 at BH!) and PRO 900 ($330) are my favs. The 580 are another option. I have a full comparison of the Shure SRH line if you would like to read it. Look at SRH 750 DJ. I like em more than the 840 mainly because they are more fun, but the 840 are studio headphones, so it is close to colorless, except its mid bass boost.

I heard the 32 ohm DT770 sounds better out of an iTouch than an 80 ohm though. 

I heard Ultrasones have a harsh and rather sibilant sound which is a not my preference. 
I would like to see your Shure review please :)   The DJ ones don't look appealing visually to me :p 

A little worried you call them "colorless" though.... are the M50s this way as well? 

And what's "BH?" 

Sep 2, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #18,694 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion KG Jag
biggrin.gif

So you think the dt 880 250ohm amped by a fiio e10(and e6 for portable use) is a suitable combo for me? What about the dt 880 bass? It has the same problem as the K550?
Thanks!

The 250 Ohm version of the DT 880 is a good choice.  Can't help you with the portable amp issue, as I have only destop amps (and receivers--old and newer).  The Beyer is very close to neutral can.  If the bass is there on the track, you will get it as put down.  It will not amp it up.  The seal issue is one that is unique to the K550 and maybe a few other closed cans.  The DT 880 is semi-open.

Sep 2, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #18,696 of 29,490
Quote:

B & H is: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Hmm the DT770 32 ohms says its "Available For Pre-order." 

This is a new item, We are accepting orders and they will be filled in the order they are received. An authorization for this product will be processed upon placing the order. Your order will only be charged at time of shipment.

What would you say with the Shure SRH840s against the ATH-M50s against the DT770 (32ohms & 80ohms) and how would they stack up? (even if the Shures are the only one in the group free of the V-shaped sound)

I'll be using them straight from my iPod unamped and at least some bass would be appreciated. 

Sep 2, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #18,697 of 29,490
Okay so I have a max budget of $110 (including shippping). My main uses for these headphones will be gaming on the pc (various titles including bf3, starcraft, dayz, skyrim, metro 2033, etc.). I will also use these frequently for music. I listen to all types of techno but i favor dubstep and minimal. I also enjoy good acoustic tracks once in a while. 

I don't prefer open headphones vs closed, I just want the best performing pair $110 can buy. 

Thanks.

Sep 2, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #18,698 of 29,490
Quote:
Okay so I have a max budget of $110 (including shippping). My main uses for these headphones will be gaming on the pc (various titles including bf3, starcraft, dayz, skyrim, metro 2033, etc.). I will also use these frequently for music. I listen to all types of techno but i favor dubstep and minimal. I also enjoy good acoustic tracks once in a while. 

I don't prefer open headphones vs closed, I just want the best performing pair $110 can buy. 

Thanks.

Check the gaming thread that is linked in the opening post of this thread.  If I recall correctly the CAL! will be one choice.

Sep 2, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #18,699 of 29,490
Quote:

Hmm the DT770 32 ohms says its "Available For Pre-order." 

This is a new item, We are accepting orders and they will be filled in the order they are received. An authorization for this product will be processed upon placing the order. Your order will only be charged at time of shipment.

What would you say with the Shure SRH840s against the ATH-M50s against the DT770 (32ohms & 80ohms) and how would they stack up? (even if the Shures are the only one in the group free of the V-shaped sound)

I'll be using them straight from my iPod unamped and at least some bass would be appreciated. 

No longer interested in the DT770s as there seems to be some issues regarding quality. 
But I've started digging around the Ultrasone HiFi780 and those things look nice! 

How would you compare the HiFi780s to the M50s and SRH840s? 

Sep 2, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #18,701 of 29,490
Quote:
How would you compare the HiFi780s to the M50s and SRH840s? 

It may help you to look at the frequency response of each. Here's the M50 and 780 compared: 

The 780s have a little heavier mid range emphasis compared to the M50s in their frequency response. That makes guitars stand out a little better to me when listening to rock. Of course if you want a heavier bass emphasis, you can always add it in with EQ. 

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #18,702 of 29,490
Yeah I heard the 580s are bassier than the 780s, but the supposed sibilance has really gotten me unsure about the Ultrasones. I dislike extremely bright sounds. 

The 80 ohm DT770s are really looking good to me, but I am a little put off by some reviews regarding quality issues. Apparently there are issues with drivers and such. Wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this? 
And will the SRH840 or M50 sound better unamped? 

And also, I'm a little worried if they will be improperly driven unamped from my iTouch (I have no intention of purchasing an amp). 

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #18,704 of 29,490
Quote:
Yeah I heard the 580s are bassier than the 780s, but the supposed sibilance has really gotten me unsure about the Ultrasones. I dislike extremely bright sounds. 

Apparently it depends on the individual; it's not a characteristic that applies to everyone. We were just discussing this in another thread:

Quote:
No, it's S-LOGIC related - depending on your ear shape and so on they may come across as too bright or not bright enough. At least that's what Koenig's research says.

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #18,705 of 29,490
Apparently it depends on the individual; it's not a characteristic that applies to everyone. We were just discussing this in another thread:

Hm interesting. There are times when my ears can be a little sensitive. I'm a little hesitant as well since I heard the Hi-Fis are also not very comfortable.

What about my questions regarding the DT770 & M50s 3 or 4 posts above?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back