++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 15, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #18,001 of 29,490
Quote:
I went back and checked your dozen or so posts in this thread, 8 of them are asking  essentially the same question and you have received recommendations.  I think perhaps you have exhausted the usefulness of this thread and the patience of some of the courteous folks who frequent it and try to help out.

You may wish to gather the anwsers and do some more in depth research yourself by searching through the threads of the cans that were offered up as suggestions and make a deicsion that way.

Asking the same question over and over in this thread is not a good idea.

sorry i am very particular in asking i am researching from past 1 month not coming to proper conclusions because some people tell Shure some people tell ultrasone so was a bit confused---anyways i am doing some research and sorry i wont post again about  on this thread and thank you for your help ----

Aug 15, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #18,002 of 29,490
Thanks for the tip on the KRK's.  Seems like they won't have enough bass for my liking though.  Now I am torn between the HFI-580 and the m-audio Q40.  Unless the aurvana comes on sale, I'm looking at those two.  SO that said, will one have any particular advantages over the other for isolation, overall quality/sound, soundstage, low sibilance, and tight powerful bass for listening to thumpy music and occasional fps gaming?  The DT 770's and DJ1 Pro's crossed my mind as well. 
I've read for hours and it looks like no one has directly compared the 580's and Q40 to each other.

Aug 15, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #18,003 of 29,490
Aug 15, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #18,004 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks, you've been helping me a lot these past couple of day, I appreciate it. I'm looking at the 8400's now because I appreciate its style and size, and from what it seems, it looks to be quite comfortable. Can you comment on that? When you say they are neutral, what do you mean by that? With the M50's, I liked the amount of bass on it, I felt it was perfect. What's the discrepancy like with regards to the bass on the 8400's (in comparison to the M50). Also is it closed back and if you can comment on the sound leakage.

If you like the amount of bass on the M50, then you like an enhanced bass headphone.  The 8400 is not of that sound signature.

Aug 15, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #18,005 of 29,490
Hey, a friend of mine is after headphone recommendations at about $150.
The obvious suggestions here are the citiscape uptown/downtown and the M50s, but since he mentioned he was interested in owning higher end pairs in the future, I was thinking about instead recommending him something like a Fiio E10 + Koss pro dj 100s so he'd have enough power were he to upgrade.
I've never heard these cans but I heard they sound great for the price and even better when amped.
Just wondering what anyone who has heard these has to say.

Aug 15, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #18,006 of 29,490
Quote:
Are these any good?  Works out to about $16.50 US.

AWEI S80vi In-Ear Earphones w/ Microphone and Remote, Choice of 5 Colours

http://www.groupon.hk/deals/shopping/AWEI-Earphone/716265717?nlp=&CID=HK_CRM_1_0_0_225&a=715828030

I couldn't find anything on the internet.  Thanks.

Quote:
No, I see these all over Chinese wholesale websites. Low grade. Stay away.

Rocko1, thanks for that.  I guess I'll have to keep looking then...

Aug 15, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #18,007 of 29,490
Hello :)
I started a thread today, asking for some advises 'cause I want to buy a good pair of headphones to listen to music (heavy metal) and play games (I care about the game's sounds and not the chat) I was told that from the 3 options I posted, the Shure SRH840 were probably the ones that would fit my needs. 

Then, the user made an important observation "you can get better options in that price rangr" Range is 100-200 US$ and said I should check the Grado Headphones since they were recommended for people who likes rock music.

I started to check them and I like a lot the retro look, but there is a big concern: Comfort. From the looks they do not look very comfortable.
I would be using this at work from 2 to 6 hours a day (with break periods) and around 4 hours a day (while playing games at the computer or my xbox)

I'm looking for comfort and quality of sound and I'm almost set on the 80i/125i but... in YOUR experience with the grados:
- How comfortable are they? 
- If I buy the L-Cushion pads would they be more comfy?

Thanx in advance for the help :)

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #18,008 of 29,490
Quote:
So my KRK KNS 8400 is shipping right now (thanks for those who helped), and I wanted to ask a quick qeustion without making a thread. Would listening to FLAC formats over regular formats really make a difference using these headphones unamped? Especially with my plebeian ears I feel like I wouldn't notice a difference between FLAC and 320 bit mp3s

There's really only one way to find out.  HDtracks and probably other vendors offer free FLAC and other quality song file downloads for sampling.

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #18,009 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello :)
I started a thread today, asking for some advises 'cause I want to buy a good pair of headphones to listen to music (heavy metal) and play games (I care about the game's sounds and not the chat) I was told that from the 3 options I posted, the Shure SRH840 were probably the ones that would fit my needs. 

Then, the user made an important observation "you can get better options in that price rangr" Range is 100-200 US$ and said I should check the Grado Headphones since they were recommended for people who likes rock music.

I started to check them and I like a lot the retro look, but there is a big concern: Comfort. From the looks they do not look very comfortable.
I would be using this at work from 2 to 6 hours a day (with break periods) and around 4 hours a day (while playing games at the computer or my xbox)

I'm looking for comfort and quality of sound and I'm almost set on the 80i/125i but... in YOUR experience with the grados:
- How comfortable are they? 
- If I buy the L-Cushion pads would they be more comfy?

Thanx in advance for the help :)

Some folks (like me) have no problem with Grado comfort, while others find them to be torture devices.  There is no way to tell, except to try them yourself.

BTW--the Grados you are considering have a very small sound stage and are not a particularly good choice for gaming.

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #18,011 of 29,490
Quote:
I just got my son the XB500's and wow are they fun! The bass is insane. I can't really see anyone who has these ever ever complaining about lack of bass. The mids and highs are a bit mellow. The ear cushions are some of the most comfortable I have worn. It's like putting on headphones made from the clouds, very comfortable for long periods. Rap and dubstep are just what the XB500's are about. I have not head the MDR-V6 but from all the things I have read theses are more detailed-brighter sounding and have less bass than the XB500's-not that it is lacking at all, just less. If I were you I would go with the XB500's unless you crave very bright headphones.

Thanks and ordered

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #18,012 of 29,490
Quote:
Would you happen to know any headphones like the M50 but are a lot more comfortable? Is the bass difference between the SRH850 a significant change from the M50?

The DT 770 (+/- Pro) have a similar sound signature to the M50 and is very comfortable and well built.

The Shure SRH 840 does not have the level of bass emphasis that is found in the M50.

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #18,013 of 29,490
Quote:
HD800 or LCD2?

I am going to upgrade my headphone setup from my good-but-not-great setup and would like to make a decision on the headphones before I get the amp, because of the huge impedance difference/amp-needs of these 2 models.

I know I'll be happy with the sound quality of both, and price wise, well, $1000 for the LCD2, and $1500 for the Colorware custom HD800's.  Yes, a 50% difference, but planning on this being the last pair of headphones I buy. 

So to my main concerns.  Fit/comfort and longevity.  Which of these are more comfortable for long listening sessions?  And when I need new ear-pads or a head-pad xx years from now, is there a definite winner for one of the 2?

Thanks guys, once I pull the trigger on the `phones, I'll be picking up a Woo Audio amp to match up, and be set to go.

This is a question for the Summit Fi section of the forum.  This section does not cover $1,500 cans.

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #18,014 of 29,490
Quote:
The DT 770 (+/- Pro) have a similar sound signature to the M50 and is very comfortable and well built.

The Shure SRH 840 does not have the level of bass emphasis that is found in the M50.

Haha so ok, lets say on a scale of 1-10 the M50's bass is a 10. What number would the 840 be? Not really a fan of how the DT 770's look.

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #18,015 of 29,490
Quote:
So I'm looking to move up in the headphone world. A budget of say, $300, with the possibility of stretching for something good. I would like them to scale well, simply because i'd like to start building a setup behind them.

Preferences: 
Music-Rock,anything from 80s hair to alternative to punk, the whole lot. Would like the ability to cross genres effectively

Sound-I don't have quite the experience to have an exact sound i like. I will however say I love the sound of my Shure srh 840. I'm not huge on bass. I have xb  700,and they're great at what they do. Mids,are fairly important to me,so i'd rather they not be recessed. But they're just not quite my optimal sound. If anyone knows of a sound signature that would work best for rock please recommend.

Equipment-Fiio E10 dac/amp and a symetrix 304 amp  Not sure if your Fiio is up to the task of these better cans. At least not in my experience.  Never heard the Symetrix

I'm looking to use these for a home rig so it makes no difference if its open or closed. So here's what I've gathered thus far:
  • Grado Rs1i/rs2i-can anyone elaborate on the deferences/strong points  The 1i has deeper bass and is generally a touch better than the 2i in most things for $200 more.  Some find both to be sibilant.  I find them to have a very natural sound, well extend, excellent sound stage with great clarity and separation of each musical voice.  They are much lighter on the head than the SR line.
  • Sennhieser HD600/hd650-i heard these may not be the greatest for rock; however amp plays heavily on that. So if this is a viable option can you recommend an amp that would pair well.  Senn 600 sound just fine on rock, 650s not as much.  The comments you hear about Senns and rock probably come from the Grado camp who likes brightly lit up lower treble and upper mids, so guitars are moved up front and have that wall of sound that KG Jag so well describes.  Maybe I'm just a bit sentimental and old fashion--but these are two fantastic, classic and all-arround cans.  Just don't expect them to be detail monsters.  The HD 650 is the fun sibling with a mid-bass hump, while the HD 600 is very neutral.
  • Akg 701/702- as i understand it these are the same thi and not enough flesh on the bones of mids.  Not anything like your 840s.ng with detachable cables. I cant seem to get a good handle on the sound signature so if some one can provide an explantion of that as well as there usefulness for rock.  Sound signature = too bright for me.  not anything like your 840s.  The Q701's are maong the best values in headphones today.  They are very detailed and have an excellent sound stage.  Those who do not like them complain that they are a bit bass light and their sound is too thin and etherial.
  • Grado 325i-i heard some dislike this one but prefer the Rs1/2. SO um, why is that. I heard this one was great for metal/rock  Wall of sound!  All that pus greater clarity, better bass and superior build quality over all those below it in the SR line.  In many ways it is a transtion can to the RS line.  Many find it to be very sibilant.  For that reason many prefer the Alessandro MS2i, which is based on the 325i.
  • Beyerdynamic DT990/600-Now i know they're 600 ohms, and yes i know they come is signifigantly lesser ohms. However its been said, and staunchly defended  that the 600ohms are far better than the rest. So is this true? in what way? general signature(did't get a clear bead on this one either)? And do you think my equipment can power these? Amp recs?
If you have not already done so, read this:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more    More of a "v" shape EQ than the DT 770 and that's too much for me.  The Beyer 600 Ohm versions of the 770/880/990 are better than the 250 Ohm versions, but not by a great deal.  Relative price and power available (often turns on whether a new amp will be needed) usually dictates choice between them.
  • Bower and Wilkins-i'm not familiar with their line or sound. I do know they have fantastic reputation and an iconic design, so i thought id add these in so if anyone knows anythings.  Very polite headphone, kind of like an even more polite senn 650 with really comfy pads.  Not a detail king by any means, warm and soft.
  • Fosterx T50RP-i hear theyhave a ton of potential. so much so they serve as the donor for the renouned thunderpants.  I heard them at RMAF, probably the most bland, over hyped headphones I ever heard.  I feel the 840s kill them and no I am not  being over the top, ha ha!

Now given that, some of those seriously stretch  my budget. So if anyone can recommend reputable sites other than eBay and amazon to buy off of that would be great. If any one has any other suggestions please, i beg of you, throw them at me. Anything, everything...except the atm m50...i refuse 
mad.gif
  Try any of headfi sponsors on the home page, they are all reputable!  Yes--and J & R, BH & Audio Advisors and some others are good as well.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. If it makes anything easier, feel free to pm me. 

Many thanks,
-thecansmancan

My comments are added in red above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back