++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 15, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #17,971 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi everybody!
I'm looking for a good sounding pair of headphones that come with a detachable cable (I've had three pairs of headphones in the past year and the problem always comes from the cable). I'd be using them mostly in public transportation and whenever I walk down the streets so it's safe to say that I'll be using them quite a bit. My budget is between 100€ and 150€.

Any suggestions?

Assuming you are looking for closed that work well unamped from a average portable device; that U.S. street prices apply to your market with euros converted to dollars:

Shure SRH 840, KRK KNS-6400 and 8400.

Aug 15, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #17,972 of 29,490
Quote:
840: neutralish with a mid bass hump.  Very well regarded

8400: neutral.  Very well regarded

Uptown:  bassy, colored headphones.  Many like this sound signature.

DJ100/200/TB: the same headphone for all practical with varying features and kit.  Mid-centric cans that can go to under $50 (which makes them a very good value).

Thanks! That really helped narrow down my choices. I'm choosing between the 840 and 8400. I've read that the 8400 has a bass that goes lower, and you say the 840 has a mid bass hump. I was just wondering what does that mean and how do they differ? Sorry, I don't really know much.

Aug 15, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #17,973 of 29,490
Quote:
Never really looked into Sony products, will give them a look. Actually that 'slap you in the face' bass sound might be too much for me :)
As for Shure srh 840, that was the model that i compared the M50's to, but if i'm not mistaken the price is like 50$ more, and I'm just not sure I will be able to tell the difference. I'll read your review, thank you :) 
I asked about the cable because in the reviews most of the people said that the straight one is way too long and you have to bundle it up and shorten it somehow, so the coiled one seemed like a better choice.

You will be able to tell the difference between the 840 & the M50.  You may like the sound signature of one or the other--regardless you will hear how they are different.

Don't forget the very accurate KRK KNS-8400, which goes for about the same price as the M50 in recent weeks.

Aug 15, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #17,974 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks! That really helped narrow down my choices. I'm choosing between the 840 and 8400. I've read that the 8400 has a bass that goes lower, and you say the 840 has a mid bass hump. I was just wondering what does that mean and how do they differ? Sorry, I don't really know much.

Mid bass hump means louder than neutral in the mid bass area of the frequency spectrum.  This will generally make pop songs sound more bassy than how they were laid down.

Lower bass is the ability to reproduce lower notes.  It has nothing directly to do with loudness of (int this case the) bass.

Aug 15, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #17,975 of 29,490
Quote:
Mid bass hump means louder than neutral in the mid bass area of the frequency spectrum.  This will generally make pop songs sound more bassy than how they were laid down.

Lower bass is the ability to reproduce lower notes.  It has nothing directly to do with loudness of (int this case the) bass.

Ah thank you for the clarification. So in other words, the 840 would give me more punch in the mid bass? But the 8400s do give somewhat of a punch in the bass though right?

Aug 15, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #17,976 of 29,490
Quote:
Can anyone recommend a headphone with similar sound signature as the Panasonic HTF600-S? I love the Panasonics but two sets failed within 2 weeks. Budget is $100 or so. Any help would be appreciated.

Haven't heard the Panasonic--what is their sound signature?

Are you planning to use these new cans out or a portable device or computer without an amp?

Do you care if they are open (leak sound)?

Aug 15, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #17,977 of 29,490
Quote:
I have been digging through threads on here for 3 hours now...whew!  What a lot of info!  I have narrowed my search down a bit.  I am looking at the Audio Technica ATH-A700 and ATHM50S, the shure SRH440, the CAL!, and the JVC HARX900.  My only local options are at best buy, so I've heard the typical skull candy and beats stuff.  I'm looking for a better soundstage with good isolation.  I'm a gamer by night, and cubicle jockey by day.  I have to have very little leakage so as to not piss off my co-workers...and be able to drown out the loud annoying person who sits near me at the same time.  From the soundstage viewpoint, I can probably eliminate the AHTM50S.  I would like to have a circumaural headset.   I like very deep bass and listen to everything from rap to country.  I think I can EQ out the bass on the games.  So what would you recommend?  Dare I just grab a cheapo JVC HARX700 for the office and a Samson SR850 for gaming at home to stay under my ~$100 budget? Would one of those other models be able to be my jack of all trades and save me a few bucks?

The KRK KNS-6400 might work for both at work and at home.

Aug 15, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #17,978 of 29,490
Quote:
Can anyone recommend a headphone with similar sound signature as the Panasonic HTF600-S? I love the Panasonics but two sets failed within 2 weeks. Budget is $100 or so. Any help would be appreciated.

I think the Sony XB700 might be similar to what you want. There is also the X500 which will be bassier and require some EQing to sound its best.

Aug 15, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #17,979 of 29,490
Quote:
I know the IEM market has greatly increased and there are much better deals now than there were over 5 years ago, and I'm curious as to whether the full sized headphone market is similar. If nothing comes to light, I'll definitely buy another set of DT-770's.

A few months ago when you could get the (since discontinued) D2000 for about $210 shipped, it would have been my recommendation.  In todays market, I would suggest that you buy the 770 again.

Aug 15, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #17,981 of 29,490
Quote:

Ah thank you for the clarification. So in other words, the 840 would give me more punch in the mid bass? But the 8400s do give somewhat of a punch in the bass though right?

Yes for the 840; not so much for the very close to neutral 8400--where "punch" = emphasized above what is on the track as laid down on the "record".

Aug 15, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #17,982 of 29,490
Quote:

KNS-8400 vs 840 vs M50, which has the best sound? How are they sounding in general (in comparison to eachother).

I listen to all types of music, ipod only.

That depends on who ask and what sound signature they prefer.  For me its the 840 or 8400 in a pick 'em.

(repeating in part from my post on this thread about 2 hours ago)...

840: neutralish with a mid bass hump.  Very well regarded

8400: neutral.  Very well regarded

M50: "V" shaped EQ with recessed mids.  Liked by those who like emphasized bass and who are OK with recessed vocals and guitars.

Aug 15, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #17,983 of 29,490
Thanks, you've been helping me a lot these past couple of day, I appreciate it. I'm looking at the 8400's now because I appreciate its style and size, and from what it seems, it looks to be quite comfortable. Can you comment on that? When you say they are neutral, what do you mean by that? With the M50's, I liked the amount of bass on it, I felt it was perfect. What's the discrepancy like with regards to the bass on the 8400's (in comparison to the M50). Also is it closed back and if you can comment on the sound leakage.

Aug 15, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #17,984 of 29,490
i'm looking for 5.1 surround gaming headset. I need it to work with my xbox and PC. i don't care if its wired and I'm willing to spend up to $150 if i have to. I have been searching all night but i can't seem to find anything that  delivers 5.1 for both. 

Aug 15, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #17,985 of 29,490
Quote:

You will be able to tell the difference between the 840 & the M50.  You may like the sound signature of one or the other--regardless you will hear how they are different.

Don't forget the very accurate KRK KNS-8400, which goes for about the same price as the M50 in recent weeks.

there is no way for me to try them out, i'm just going to order one or the other. i'll look into shure more, people say it's a bit heavy on the head due to it's material i guess. 
as you said, the KRK KNS-8400 seem on the spot accurate, i think i want the bass to hit a little harder than normal; but agh the mids, the recessed vocals and stuff with the M50's, that concerns me. this is difficult :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back