++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 14, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #17,941 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi Head-Fiers! I'm really happy about how helpful the more experienced users are with beginners like me.

1. I'm looking for a pair of headphones to use in university: in the dorm, around the campus and in the library. I'm hoping for them to be comfortable enough to be used for several hours straight and doesn't leak much since I'll be at the library too.
  2. Hopefully the cable isn't too long, it'd be troublesome to carry that around. If it is long though, hopefully it's detachable.
  3. Something at the entry level around $200 Canadian dollars. I'm not planning on an amp unless it's really a steal, I might consider one in the future.
  4. I'm going to be using it for not just listening to music, but movies as well, not so much gaming, but just a little.
  5. I'm not familiar with what sound to look for, so I'll just say something that's good for a variety of music genres.
  6. I listen to mainstream pop/rock, alternative rock and acoustic, some jazz and R&B. With just a little bit of hip hop/rap. I also listen to Asian music, some K-pop and a bit of J-pop (mostly watching anime).

Thank you for all the help!

Edit: I forgot to mention I'll be listening to all my music from a 6th generation iPod Nano and a typical laptop with a built-in sound card, nothing too fancy.

Here's my quote from earlier. Still applies, just ignore the stuff about punk rock. V-Moda M80s and Audio-Technica M50s are also good choices around that range.

Quote:
See if you can stretch for HD25s. I know I recommend them a lot, but they are seriously perfect headphones for college life. Small, portable, indestructible, closed, and great sound. They have a really lively sound that's perfect for fast-paced rock/punk. The bass isn't as strong as something like the Ultrasones, but they have a very quick, natural bass that should be decent. I listen to ska (love Streetlight Manifesto) and punk (not really hardcore punk like you, but stuff like the Ramones and the Clash) and they're perfect for that. Not as good for dubstep, but decent. Electronic is good too (Aphex Twin is fantastic).

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #17,943 of 29,490
Quote:
I have decided about  two headphones right now

Shure 840 or Ultrasone hif 780

Please let me know asap what to order

Need good noise isolating cans----listen to metal dubstep and trance---i am not a bass head and also will not buy a amp

let me know which is worth spending 150 $

Need a reply thank you guys will really help

how many times are you going to post the same question.  Make a decision and buy one for crying out loud!

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #17,944 of 29,490
Quote:

Here's my quote from earlier. Still applies, just ignore the stuff about punk rock. V-Moda M80s and Audio-Technica M50s are also good choices around that range.

Thanks, I just finished some reading around the forum as well and wanted your opinions on the headphones I thought were worth my consideration. Shure SRH840, KRK KNS 8400, Philip's Citiscape Uptown and the Koss DJ100 (DJ200 I checked on Koss's website have a detachable cable, but is their a difference in their sound?) Thank you again!

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #17,946 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi Head-Fiers! I'm really happy about how helpful the more experienced users are with beginners like me.

1. I'm looking for a pair of headphones to use in university: in the dorm, around the campus and in the library. I'm hoping for them to be comfortable enough to be used for several hours straight and doesn't leak much since I'll be at the library too.
  2. Hopefully the cable isn't too long, it'd be troublesome to carry that around. If it is long though, hopefully it's detachable.
  3. Something at the entry level around $200 Canadian dollars. I'm not planning on an amp unless it's really a steal, I might consider one in the future.
  4. I'm going to be using it for not just listening to music, but movies as well, not so much gaming, but just a little.
  5. I'm not familiar with what sound to look for, so I'll just say something that's good for a variety of music genres.
  6. I listen to mainstream pop/rock, alternative rock and acoustic, some jazz and R&B. With just a little bit of hip hop/rap. I also listen to Asian music, some K-pop and a bit of J-pop (mostly watching anime).

Thank you for all the help!

Edit: I forgot to mention I'll be listening to all my music from a 6th generation iPod Nano and a typical laptop with a built-in sound card, nothing too fancy.

You may want to save some money and get the Beyerdynamic DT-235.  They have a long, non-detachable cable, but otherwise would be a good fit.

Aug 14, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #17,947 of 29,490
Hi everybody!
I'm looking for a good sounding pair of headphones that come with a detachable cable (I've had three pairs of headphones in the past year and the problem always comes from the cable). I'd be using them mostly in public transportation and whenever I walk down the streets so it's safe to say that I'll be using them quite a bit. My budget is between 100€ and 150€.

Any suggestions?

Aug 14, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #17,948 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys,

I currently have a pair of NIB Etymotic HF2's and I'm trying to decide if I should sell them unopened and buy a set of ER4's. Age old noob delimma of HF5 vs ER4, and I've read all the threads but still can't decide. Looking for a bit of customized help. I know you guys must be deeply disappointed that I didn't start another HF5 vs ER4 thread...

I have listened to te HF2's for about 2 years now and these were my final warranty replacement. I really like these earphones for their for their clarity and detail ect. I also just bought some Earsonics SM3's, and though I've been pleased, I would like the ety's to be an alternative for certain listening situations. The Etymotics and SM3's are my only IEMs.

I also have a Fiio E10 DAC/Amp but honestly don't really expect to spend much money any time in the near future on a better one. Not sure if this will be enough to drive the er4s...

Thanks!!!!

ooops, you posted in the wrong thread.  This is for full sized cans only.   And I am the wrong person to give an opinion I absolutely hate Ety's.........no bass whatsoever!

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #17,950 of 29,490
Can anyone recommend a headphone with similar sound signature as the Panasonic HTF600-S? I love the Panasonics but two sets failed within 2 weeks. Budget is $100 or so. Any help would be appreciated.

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #17,951 of 29,490
Im in doubt between two open headphones, the he-400 (with velour pads) and RS2i. I'm looking for a headphone tha sounds bright and alive. I want want the mids and vocals to be very forward and present while the highs are smooth and sophisticated. What I hated about the m50 is that the mids were recessed, this mae me turn up the volume until the highs start to hurt my ear, even then the kids are still recessed. I want bright forward mids and vocals and smooth highs. Basically, I want a bright, forward, and exciting headphone which gives me a thrill when listening but still maintains a smooth sound. Does the he-400 with velour pads or RS2i fit my needs or should is there a different open can which would suit me better? I listen to rock and pop rock. I will be using the headphone with a DAC and an amp. My budget is 400-500 dollars

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #17,953 of 29,490
I hope this is the right place for this, if it isn't - my apologies.
I've never really bought headphones before (I usually just used whatever came with my phone/Ipod + some cheap headset my father didn't use) but now I have some money and would like to buy a a decent pair of headphones.
I need them for when I use my computer, to listen to music and to talk while gaming and I need to be able to use them when I travel by train or bus and generally be able to take them anyway - also the library and in school so people around me shouldn't be bothered by them. I just bought a pair of SteelSeries Siberia V2 but they put so much pressure on my head that they gave me headaches after only 15 minutes of use. I'm returning them tomorrow and then I'm ready to buy another pair if I can find one.
I've been looking around and I think I've found some good ones though I have no idea what to look for. I hope that you guys could tell me which of these is the best buy.
http://www.fcomputer.dk/hardware/headsets/ear-plugs/razer/orca-hovedtelefoner.html
http://www.edbpriser.dk/hovedtelefoner/sennheiser-hd-449-id-5593281.aspx
http://www.edbpriser.dk/hovedtelefoner/sennheiser-hd-439-id-5593280.aspx
http://www.pioneershop.dk/pioneer-hovedtelefoner/full-size/pioneer-se-mj721-oa-hovedtelefoner
I'm planning on using these http://www.proshop.dk/Hovedtelefoner-headset/Zalman-ZM-MIC1-Microphone-for-ZM-RS6F-710223.html?utm_source=pricerunner&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pricesite as my microphone so I won't have to deal with a microphone when I travel with the headphones.
Thank you in advance.

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #17,954 of 29,490
Hey, this is my first post and I'm totally a newbie, so hi there :) 

I currently own a Sennheiser cx300 ii precision IEM, which work well for me. I like the overall sound and the isolation, and am pleased with it. I mostly listen to electronic music (the wide genre that it is, recently switched to stuff a little more heavy on bass), IDM, some indie, experimental stuff and so on (the artists that Boiler Room books mainly, to give you a general idea). I have a 6th gen ipod and iphone4s, as well as my laptop and my desktop, so I listen on the go and while I'm working as well. And, I need isolation, that is a given. After almost a year of reading Head-Fi, I finally decided on buying headphones, and I will do so in the next couple of days. 

Due to the recommendation and overall praise for the Audio Technica ATH-M50's, both in sound quality and physical aspects (comfort, isolation, little leaking etc.) I'm very inclined to buy them; but for one last reassurement (I am a VERY indecisive person), I thought I'd ask if there are any other headphones that would be way better than the M50's, in the same price range (100-140USD). I've read most of the threads regarding the M50's, some comparison threads and considered other alternatives from AKG to Shure to Sennheiser to Beyerdynamic and so on, but I always come back to the M50's because everyone says it's a good beginner gear and the experience is fulfilling; that the bass is felt sufficiently an enjoyably after burning in and the only problem might be the recessed mids.

So, that's that, would be lovely if you guys could help me make a final decision :)

Also, if you say M50's, coiled wire should be my choice for portability, right?

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #17,955 of 29,490
Quote:
You may want to save some money and get the Beyerdynamic DT-235.  They have a long, non-detachable cable, but otherwise would be a good fit.

Thanks, but I'd really prefer a detachable cable if the cable is long.

On another note, I've read about some other headphones within my budget that seem to have good reviews and feedback and would like some opinions about them.

KRK KNS 8400  - People say they are detailed, but how are they compared to the 840?
 Shure SRH 84 0 - Seems tha t many find it heavy on the head...
Koss DJ100/DJ200 - I'm not sure if there is a sound quality difference between the two. Also how is the sound signature overall?

I've also read about how switching earpads seems to make a difference in the sound signature and comfort of a headphone. I'm willing to do this if the difference is worth the price, so feel free to drop some advice about this too!

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back