++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 3, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #17,356 of 29,490
Hey all,

I just got a pair of AKG k271 MKII a few days ago and notice that they don't sound as good as my friend's ATH A700. Does anyone else have thoughts on this? The A700s are louder without an amp and the bass and mids on it seems relatively better. I would also consider HFI 580s or the ATH M50. 

Any suggestions on which of the following?

AKG K271 MKII
ATH A700
HFI 580
ATH M50

or anything else you guys would recommend. I plan to use these mainly at work with light traveling in bus/subways. With light traveling, the A700 seems a bit too big for this and i'm not too fond of the bulky look. I listen to a variety of music from rnb, techno/house, jpop, and alternative. I generally like the music a bit bass-y as well.

Thanks!

Aug 3, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #17,357 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello folks. I try to keep this a bit terse because I tend to ramble. :D

I am looking for two headphones recommendations.

1) I'm going to buy my brother a good pair of headphones when I return from deployment (Seems backwards, eh? I haven't seen him in a few years, though lol) and I'm not really sure what to get him. I want them to be over the ear and he has a baby, so at least some reduction of outside noise would be preferred. Also, he's been listening to a lot of indie music lately (Neon Trees, The Shins... etc.) and I've been kind of getting him toward more electronic stuff. I know he digs Sennheiser but I'm down with anything in the ~$300 price range :D Maybe cheaper+amp too. We'll see...

3.25) Now for me! I recently bought the JDS Labs CmoyBB amp and a pair of HD 449's (my entry to ye olde audiophilia. thanks website!). I f'n love that stuffs. Of course, now I want more. I have been listening to indie a lot lately but I've been wandering more and more toward the electronic music stuffs. Specifically, Deadmau5, Eprom, Showtek, and most recently The Glitch Mob (amazing.) so I'm looking for a pair of headphones that would be great for that stuff. I'm not crazy into bass but I would like there to be more bass than the 449's. I like a really well balanced sound, and while the 449's do a lot better than my old headphones (skullcandy in-ear lololol!) I do prefer a bit more bass. Oh yeah. I'm looking for the same price range as the others (~$300) and full size over the ear headphones.

Let me know if any more info is required. ^_^

Oh. If anyone knows a place around the Hampton Roads area (I'm willing to drive as well. driving is funs.) in Virginia that I can go to to audition headphones I would be most appreciative.

Additionally, it may be relevant that I plan on buying a Bottlehead Crack amplifier to build (mostly getting it for awesomeness and the fun of building things). So headphones that would work well with that are a major plus as well.

Thanks!

If your brother is a Senn fan, the open HD 598 is an excellent choice for him--although is does isolate as well as closed cans and leaks sound.  If he needs closed, the AKG K 550 is a good choice--provided he does not have a beard or long sideburns (they cause sealing problems with this can).

The Shure SRH 940 might work well for you.  They are far from bass heavy, but have more than your Senn.  They are quick and detailed.  One negative thing about them is that they have some build quality issues.  You have to careful with them when they are outside their included case.  See more here:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/shure-srh-940

Welcome back!

Aug 3, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #17,358 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey all,

I just got a pair of AKG k271 MKII a few days ago and notice that they don't sound as good as my friend's ATH A700. Does anyone else have thoughts on this? The A700s are louder without an amp and the bass and mids on it seems relatively better. I would also consider HFI 580s or the ATH M50. 

Any suggestions on which of the following?

AKG K271 MKII
ATH A700
HFI 580
ATH M50

or anything else you guys would recommend. I plan to use these mainly at work with light traveling in bus/subways. With light traveling, the A700 seems a bit too big for this and i'm not too fond of the bulky look. I listen to a variety of music from rnb, techno/house, jpop, and alternative. I generally like the music a bit bass-y as well.

Thanks!

Whoa partner--out of what equipment did you test the AKG?  They are 55 Ohms and have a sensitivity of 91 dB/mW, 104 dB/V.  Thus they probably need an amp to be driven properly.

Still if you're a basshead, you probably have the wrong cans.  If a basshead lite--look to the M50.  If more a full blown basshead, the HiFi 580 is more your style.  The A700 are bass light.  Based on having the A900 and K240 Studio, I suspect that the AKG has more more bass than the AT, when both are properly driven.

Aug 3, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #17,359 of 29,490
Right on :D My brother had mentioned before that he digs the style of the 598's and those were on the top of my list to get him. Edit: I forgot to mention that he does wear glasses. I understand that is certainly a factor... Oh yeah, those K 550's look pretty nice. I was looking at the Q701's for a bit myself.

I'm looking into those Shure's right now. I'll let you know what I think :)

Also... thanks :)

Aug 3, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #17,360 of 29,490
Hello all,

This is my first post here, but I've been lurking as a guest for some time...I'd like to thank all the contributors for making a great website here - it's been a wealth of knowledge that's helped my research greatly.

That being said, I'm currently shopping for a new pair of cans.  My previous pair of JVC HARX-900's died recently.  The swivel point on the left can broke inside the housing, breaking the VERY thin wire that ran sound to the right side.  It was a shame because I did enjoy these headphones, but despite their overall solid feel, they did not last two years with everyday use.  I'm stuck not using a taped-up pair of Sony MDR-V150s...their ear pads are shedding that fake, paper-like pleather all over my ears.  Plus they don't sound as near as good as the JVCs did...

So, I started looking for something similar - A closed back over ear headphone that's built more robustly than the JVCs, and that won't break the bank (looking for <$150).  Here's where I've gotten myself so far:

I listen to mostly rock - anything from classic rock like Neil Young, some Smiths/Morrissey, Indie Rock such as Built to Spill, and piano rock like Ben Folds (Five).  Other than that, the headphones will also be used to watch TV, movies, etc on my computer.  I don't care about portability because they don't leave my computer.  My current setup had the 'phones plugged directly into my computer's headphone jack, but that may soon change...

What I'm considering/don't want:

Don't want:

ATH-M50 - Don't want - I don't like the design - I'm shying away from folding/lots of swiveling because of my issues with the JVCs, plus I'm not much of a basshead.

Shure 440 - same deal with the design, I'm not too much into it.

Sennheiser HD 280 - I considered these right up 'till I saw a pic of them, they appear to have that crappy ear pad material that doesn't last too long, like on my Sonys.  I won't ever get a 'phone that has them, and I'm not looking to spend more to put on another pair of ear pads.

Looking at:

AKG 271MKII - These are in the lead for me - a closed back, good ear pads (and two different pairs), decent reviews, plus i like the AKG design, it seems like a more solid design.

Koss Pro4/AA - Just a big, solid chunk of a 'phone - looks like it would last a nuclear holocaust

Panasonic RP-HTX7 - Good basic, solid looking design, but probably sounds as cheap as they are.  Possibly questionable materials despite the basic design.  Looks to be on the smaller side.

Here's the thing, I'd consider a semi-open 'phone like the AKG 240 or even a Superlux, but I'm concerned about sound leakage - my bedroom is just through the wall from my computer desk, and the door is always open, and my wife needs things pretty quiet when she's falling asleep, and I don't need her hearing my music or...um, 'movies' from the other room.  I don't blast my 'phones, but I'm not sure mow much they would leak in the real world.

As for amping, I'm not an audiophile by any means, and would not benefit too much from a high-end amp, I don't think.  I do realize that my computer is not up to the task (probably) of driving my first-choice AKG-271s, and I am shopping around yard sales/flea markets for a good deal on an old receiver with an integrated amp, and possibly an EQ, as well.

So basically (ha,ha) what I'm asking is:

Are the AKG 271 a decent choice for me?  How will they compare to my old JVCs?
Should I consider a semi-open phone that doesn't leak sound to another room - and which ones don't?
Knowing that I'm not wanting a high-end, high-impedance 'phone, will a decent old receiver with an integrated amp drive what I choose well?

Sorry for the novel, I tend to over-analyze when considering a new purchase.  Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Aug 3, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #17,361 of 29,490
Would you guys consider the CAL!'s to be an upgrade from superlux 681's? or would the ATH-M50's be a better upgrade?
Quote:
If a basshead lite--look to the M50.  If more a full blown basshead, the HiFi 580 is more your style.

Can you suggest some cans with the same quantity and quality of bass as the HFI 580's? Sadly, they're not available in my country. :frowning2:

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #17,362 of 29,490
Hello Head-Fi. I would like to ask a couple of questions. Today or tomorrow, I will be selling some tools for some money. The amount of money will most likely be around $275-$300. With this money, I will purchase an 8GB iPod New, which will cut out $150, making my total left over anywhere from $125-$150. Now, my question is this. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro's and a pair of Sony MDR XB 1000's. Now, Neither of those headphones looks good in public. Besides, the XB1000's leak way too much. So, Should I buy an amp with the leftover money for the XB 1000's, which I know will not help the leaking, OR should I get another pair of headphones for portable use that don't leak as much? I will, in the future, have both eventually. Help would be greatly appreciated in perhaps swaying me towards a certain model of headphones or amp. Thank you in advance.

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #17,363 of 29,490
Howdy,

I am currently using a pair of Sony MDR-V900's as my daily cans and easily listen to music for 6-8 hours a day.  The cord is starting to wear out and I'm thinking of stepping into the next level of sound.

I'm looking for something open backed, with an improved soundstage, instrument separation, and clarity.  Ideally something neutral enough to mix music (I have studio monitors as well), but also fun for extended listening.  

My tastes in music vary, but I listen to a lot of electronic music such as drum and bass, electro, Boards of Canada, hip hop, downtempo, but also highly enjoy jazz and classical (sample digging).

I've auditioned the Sennheiser HD650's the other weekend, but I felt they were lacking a bit in soundstage and didn't quite tickle my ears enough for the price.  The highs were definitely more open and airy, but it just wasn't what I was looking for.  

I've also been suggested the K702's, DT880's, HD800, LCD-2, and HiFiman400 or 500.  Big differences in price, but I'll save up the extra month if that is what it takes.

Any suggestions?

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #17,364 of 29,490
Quote:
Would you guys consider the CAL!'s to be an upgrade from superlux 681's? or would the ATH-M50's be a better upgrade?
Can you suggest some cans with the same quantity and quality of bass as the HFI 580's? Sadly, they're not available in my country. :frowning2:

The CAL! could be considered a slight upgrade, I would think.  Depends a lot on your taste in sound from headphones and it is so subjective it is hard for us to tell you whether it would be a significant enough change for you to invest in them.  There should be more clarity from the CAL, but the midrange is slightly recessed with them.  The CAL has excellent bass in my opinion.

Do some research here at headfi on the M Audio Q40 as a HFI 580 substitute. 

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #17,365 of 29,490
Quote:
Howdy,

I am currently using a pair of Sony MDR-V900's as my daily cans and easily listen to music for 6-8 hours a day.  The cord is starting to wear out and I'm thinking of stepping into the next level of sound.

I'm looking for something open backed, with an improved soundstage, instrument separation, and clarity.  Ideally something neutral enough to mix music (I have studio monitors as well), but also fun for extended listening.  

My tastes in music vary, but I listen to a lot of electronic music such as drum and bass, electro, Boards of Canada, hip hop, downtempo, but also highly enjoy jazz and classical (sample digging).

I've auditioned the Sennheiser HD650's the other weekend, but I felt they were lacking a bit in soundstage and didn't quite tickle my ears enough for the price.  The highs were definitely more open and airy, but it just wasn't what I was looking for.  

I've also been suggested the K702's, DT880's, HD800, LCD-2, and HD400 or 500.  Big differences in price, but I'll save up the extra month if that is what it takes.

Any suggestions?

if you're into drum and bass, hip hop, electro, etc. with larger bass, K702, HD800s are definitely not what you're looking for. I just got he chance to try the LCD-2s today and i think theyre just spectacular, though i didnt get enough time with them to really say that's the one. DT880s mite work, i mite give the HD650s another chance tho =P or give AKG k550s a shot?

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #17,366 of 29,490
Hey guys! Just looking for a quick recommendation for starting out.

I'm looking for something around $50. Also, these headphones will only be used at home. My library consists mainly of rips at 320kbps, and a few FLAC's.

Sound quality's the most important (I don't know how much quality you'll get out of $50 though). I listen to mainly kpop, alternative rock, and electronic-y music.

Closed or open phones? I hear open ones have better SQ, so I'll go with open? I prefer over ear to on ear.

If I'm missing ANYTHING, please let me know!

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #17,367 of 29,490
Hello,

I have been lurking the Head-fi page for a few months now. So far I have purchased a pair of Shure SRH550DJ headphones and I think they sound pretty good considering I paid $100.00 for them. Only problem is that the left side of them broke where the adjustable slide meets the headphone. I repaired them but I am looking to get some new phones.

I listen to mostly EDM, such as DnB, Dubstep, Electro, Glitch, House, Trance. I also listen to lots of Reggae and early 60's, 70's 80's classic rock and metal... but not as much as the EDM and Reggae.

Some of the artists I listen to are: Bassnectar, Calyx and Teebee, ATB, Above & Beyond, Blackmill, Aphex Twin, LM1,  Tycho, Com Truise, Datsik etc.

I usually listen to my music using Windows Media Player or Winamp on my HP Pavilion DV7 w/ Beats Audio or my Creative Zen Vision M MP3 player. I do not have an amp.

So my question is this: What good on ear/over ear cans can I get for between $100-300 (really dont want to pay more than $250), that would sound good on my laptop/mp3 player without an amp. Also if someone could recommend and amp that would be cool too.

Thanks,
Delta9.

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #17,368 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys! Just looking for a quick recommendation for starting out.

I'm looking for something around $50. Also, these headphones will only be used at home. My library consists mainly of rips at 320kbps, and a few FLAC's.

Sound quality's the most important (I don't know how much quality you'll get out of $50 though). I listen to mainly kpop, alternative rock, and electronic-y music.

Closed or open phones? I hear open ones have better SQ, so I'll go with open? I prefer over ear to on ear.

If I'm missing ANYTHING, please let me know!

Try the Superlux  668b or Samson SR850. They are the same headphone but rebranded. Both are semi-open  and have a bit of a bump in the mid bass, but soundstage is excellent and overall sound quality is unbelievable for the price which is ~$50

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #17,369 of 29,490
Quote:
Right on :D My brother had mentioned before that he digs the style of the 598's and those were on the top of my list to get him. Edit: I forgot to mention that he does wear glasses. I understand that is certainly a factor... Oh yeah, those K 550's look pretty nice. I was looking at the Q701's for a bit myself.

I'm looking into those Shure's right now. I'll let you know what I think :)

Also... thanks :)

The Q701's are great cans as well.  I just wasn't sure if they were right for your genres.  They certainly aren't bassy in any respect.

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #17,370 of 29,490
Hey everyone, I just got in my Asus Xonar DG and HD 598. I'm wondering if I should be using Dolby Headphone for general listening. I.E. Music/TV Shows/Movies/Youtube. Reason I'm concerned is because the sound is so unnatural with it on. It's the only way I get that rumored band sitting in the room with you sound though. Suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back