++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 2, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #17,326 of 29,490
Quote:

ah my budget is around less than $200.

yes. im ok with open cans, I just want them to be comfy.

as for equipment, I use either my iphone or my sony e-series walkman along with a fiio e5 amp.

for the music I mostly FLACs, if I can find them if not Im stuck with mp3s/aac. For audiobooks i just use mp3s but since audiobooks are just spoken words, quality is not important for them.

thanks!

Shure SRH 840, KRK KNS 8400, Sennheiser HD 25-1 II

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #17,327 of 29,490
Hi, posted a thread trying to decide on a pair of headphones a couple of days ago, now that I have sort of decided on one, I want to know if it's the right choice.

I'm contemplating the Koss TBSE1 headphones for everyday use. I listen to pop (korean pop too), R&B, hip hop, jazz and rock, and I think that's about it. There's a chunk of a my music that has lots of acoustic guitar in it. I posted here wanting to know how you guys felt about the sound signature of these headphones I'm looking at. I was also wondering how the isolation on them were? And I've been reading around and many suggest M50 pads, how do those pads affect the sound? Any other equipment needed like an amp?

Aug 2, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #17,328 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, posted a thread trying to decide on a pair of headphones a couple of days ago, now that I have sort of decided on one, I want to know if it's the right choice.

I'm contemplating the Koss TBSE1 headphones for everyday use. I listen to pop (korean pop too), R&B, hip hop, jazz and rock, and I think that's about it. There's a chunk of a my music that has lots of acoustic guitar in it. I posted here wanting to know how you guys felt about the sound signature of these headphones I'm looking at. I was also wondering how the isolation on them were? And I've been reading around and many suggest M50 pads, how do those pads affect the sound? Any other equipment needed like an amp?

Good mid-centric cans that can be underpowered out of some portable devices/computers.  They are not my pick for anything bassy.  They isolate reasonable well and are comfortable with the M50 pads.  The cord provided is a bit long for portable use.

Aug 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #17,329 of 29,490
Quote:

Good mid-centric cans that can be underpowered out of some portable devices/computers.  They are not my pick for anything bassy.  They isolate reasonable well and are comfortable with the M50 pads.  The cord provided is a bit long for portable use.

I'm not an audiophile, so I don't really have a sound signature that I'm looking for. I was hoping to get something more balanced that makes songs sound nice (I really don't know how to describe it) leaning to the bass a bit more. My laptop is an Asus N61 and my iPod is a 6th generation Nano, nothing really good. I don't mind purchasing an amp as long as it isn't too expensive. And yes, I've read about the cord, but I was hoping to just buy a shorter cable to use with it, something with a bayonet clip since they seem useful.

Aug 2, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #17,330 of 29,490
Ultrasone HiFi 780.

They look really cool, but they lack a detachable cable, and that is a must. Thanks though.

Quote:
How about the AKG Q460? Run around $90-100 on amazon. Ticks all your boxes.

I was considering those, but after reading several reviews it seems they don't sound too well. They sure look great though

I found the AKG K451 (http://us.akg.com/akg-product-detail-us/k-451.html) and they seem pretty good to me, does anyone have any experience with them?

Aug 2, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #17,332 of 29,490
Quote:

I found the AKG K451 (http://us.akg.com/akg-product-detail-us/k-451.html) and they seem pretty good to me, does anyone have any experience with them?

I have no personal experience with them, but the Q460 was based off the K450 with the minor sonic tweaks, cosmetics, and inline mic/controls. This may just be the K450 with a new cable containing the controls and mic. But then, that's just a guess. I haven't heard it first hand.

Aug 2, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #17,333 of 29,490
i posted this in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/503183/the-best-full-sized-headphones-for-30-usd-or-less-updated-2-21-2012/390 but fear its going to be buried and no one will see, so i'll post it here, i  guess..

so bumping this thread..didnt feel the need to start a new one, i'm sure this has been asked a ton. have read through this thread, it was actually quite fun. very lively debate, especially since its about 30 dollar headphones. anyways, i'm looking to pick up a pair for around 30-35 bucks for music/gaming. which do you knowledgeable people recommend?

from what i have read in this thread, looked around, these seem to come up quite a bit: (no order)

1. Monoprice 8323 
2. Koss UR55
3. Incipio NX-104
4. Superlux HD 681
5. JVC HARX700

another couple i found through this thread i kind of liked and seems to get good praise are the Pioneer SE-M390 as well as the PortaPro's

i'm not too worried about much else than comfort. I have a pair of grado SR-80's, love em, but they hurt my ears after a few hours, so i'm looking for a set that will allow me to wear for hours on end while gaming. that might eliminate the monoprices as i have read numerous times/places they can be uncomfortable. if it matters i think i plan on a combo of music while gaming, as well as maybe switching it up and just having the music/sound in the game as well. 

so which do you recommend. keep in mind it doesn't have to be any of the ones i mentioned, just as long as the price range is 30-35 bucks. 

also before anyone mentions to save up and get a better pair, i'm strictly in this price range.

thanks.

Aug 2, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #17,334 of 29,490
Quote:
I made a thread but I got no replies, so I'll try posting here.

What full sized headphone can give me a sound closest to my Etymotic Research ER-4P?

Thanks

That's an IEM and most folks here have no clue how it sounds.  You'll have to describe it.  In addition:

What is your budget?

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Aug 2, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #17,335 of 29,490
Quote:
i posted this in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/503183/the-best-full-sized-headphones-for-30-usd-or-less-updated-2-21-2012/390 but fear its going to be buried and no one will see, so i'll post it here, i  guess..

so bumping this thread..didnt feel the need to start a new one, i'm sure this has been asked a ton. have read through this thread, it was actually quite fun. very lively debate, especially since its about 30 dollar headphones. anyways, i'm looking to pick up a pair for around 30-35 bucks for music/gaming. which do you knowledgeable people recommend?

from what i have read in this thread, looked around, these seem to come up quite a bit: (no order)

1. Monoprice 8323 
2. Koss UR55
3. Incipio NX-104
4. Superlux HD 681
5. JVC HARX700

another couple i found through this thread i kind of liked and seems to get good praise are the Pioneer SE-M390 as well as the PortaPro's

i'm not too worried about much else than comfort. I have a pair of grado SR-80's, love em, but they hurt my ears after a few hours, so i'm looking for a set that will allow me to wear for hours on end while gaming. that might eliminate the monoprices as i have read numerous times/places they can be uncomfortable. if it matters i think i plan on a combo of music while gaming, as well as maybe switching it up and just having the music/sound in the game as well. 

so which do you recommend. keep in mind it doesn't have to be any of the ones i mentioned, just as long as the price range is 30-35 bucks. 

also before anyone mentions to save up and get a better pair, i'm strictly in this price range.

thanks.

Your budget is very small; your Grados cost about 3x what you want to spend now.  That's OK put keep your expectations realistic relative to what you want to spend.  Staying within it the last two cans on your list provide the best sound.

Aug 2, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #17,336 of 29,490
Quote:
That's an IEM and most folks here have no clue how it sounds.  You'll have to describe it.  In addition:

What is your budget?

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Budget for headphone is $400USD. I don't mind open headphones. I will buy a headphone amplifier that is suited for the headphone afterwards.

The Etymotic ER-4P has a very flat frequency response and is very detailed.

My musical tastes range from classical to death metal. But most of it is jazz fusion, rock and classical.

Aug 2, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #17,337 of 29,490
Quote:
Budget for headphone is $400USD. I don't mind open headphones. I will buy a headphone amplifier that is suited for the headphone afterwards.

The Etymotic ER-4P has a very flat frequency response and is very detailed.

My musical tastes range from classical to death metal. But most of it is jazz fusion, rock and classical.

For well under you budget--AKG Q701 and Beyer DT 880 (+/- Pro)--250 or 600 Ohm version.

For more HiFi HE-400, Sony MDR-SA5000 (hard to find and needs no amp).

Aug 2, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #17,340 of 29,490
Quote:
For well under you budget--AKG Q701 and Beyer DT 880 (+/- Pro)--250 or 600 Ohm version.

For more HiFi HE-400, Sony MDR-SA5000 (hard to find and needs no amp).

I was looking at the above two (as well as the HD600). I often see criticism of the K701 saying they sound clinical and that they lack bass. The Beyerdynamic is often described as better and it has more bass. The HD600 is decscribed as laid back, and it's the most expensive, so I'll leave that out.

I can't find a clear consensus on which is more detailed between the K701 and the DT880. Bass doesn't really bother me, but can anyone tell me which is the more "technical" headphone between the K701 and DT880. And by technical I mean with related to transients, PRaT, etc.

I don't really care about soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back