++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 3, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #17,371 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello all,

This is my first post here, but I've been lurking as a guest for some time...I'd like to thank all the contributors for making a great website here - it's been a wealth of knowledge that's helped my research greatly.

That being said, I'm currently shopping for a new pair of cans.  My previous pair of JVC HARX-900's died recently.  The swivel point on the left can broke inside the housing, breaking the VERY thin wire that ran sound to the right side.  It was a shame because I did enjoy these headphones, but despite their overall solid feel, they did not last two years with everyday use.  I'm stuck not using a taped-up pair of Sony MDR-V150s...their ear pads are shedding that fake, paper-like pleather all over my ears.  Plus they don't sound as near as good as the JVCs did...

So, I started looking for something similar - A closed back over ear headphone that's built more robustly than the JVCs, and that won't break the bank (looking for <$150).  Here's where I've gotten myself so far:

I listen to mostly rock - anything from classic rock like Neil Young, some Smiths/Morrissey, Indie Rock such as Built to Spill, and piano rock like Ben Folds (Five).  Other than that, the headphones will also be used to watch TV, movies, etc on my computer.  I don't care about portability because they don't leave my computer.  My current setup had the 'phones plugged directly into my computer's headphone jack, but that may soon change...

What I'm considering/don't want:

Don't want:

ATH-M50 - Don't want - I don't like the design - I'm shying away from folding/lots of swiveling because of my issues with the JVCs, plus I'm not much of a basshead.

Shure 440 - same deal with the design, I'm not too much into it.

Sennheiser HD 280 - I considered these right up 'till I saw a pic of them, they appear to have that crappy ear pad material that doesn't last too long, like on my Sonys.  I won't ever get a 'phone that has them, and I'm not looking to spend more to put on another pair of ear pads.

Looking at:

AKG 271MKII - These are in the lead for me - a closed back, good ear pads (and two different pairs), decent reviews, plus i like the AKG design, it seems like a more solid design.

Koss Pro4/AA - Just a big, solid chunk of a 'phone - looks like it would last a nuclear holocaust

Panasonic RP-HTX7 - Good basic, solid looking design, but probably sounds as cheap as they are.  Possibly questionable materials despite the basic design.  Looks to be on the smaller side.

Here's the thing, I'd consider a semi-open 'phone like the AKG 240 or even a Superlux, but I'm concerned about sound leakage - my bedroom is just through the wall from my computer desk, and the door is always open, and my wife needs things pretty quiet when she's falling asleep, and I don't need her hearing my music or...um, 'movies' from the other room.  I don't blast my 'phones, but I'm not sure mow much they would leak in the real world.

As for amping, I'm not an audiophile by any means, and would not benefit too much from a high-end amp, I don't think.  I do realize that my computer is not up to the task (probably) of driving my first-choice AKG-271s, and I am shopping around yard sales/flea markets for a good deal on an old receiver with an integrated amp, and possibly an EQ, as well.

So basically (ha,ha) what I'm asking is:

Are the AKG 271 a decent choice for me?  How will they compare to my old JVCs?
Should I consider a semi-open phone that doesn't leak sound to another room - and which ones don't?
Knowing that I'm not wanting a high-end, high-impedance 'phone, will a decent old receiver with an integrated amp drive what I choose well?

Sorry for the novel, I tend to over-analyze when considering a new purchase.  Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Anyone?  I considered starting a new thread for this, but I don't want to annoy/offend anyone...

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #17,372 of 29,490
Hi all, first time post here. I am looking for a good pair of over-ear headphones because I work overseas and good sq/good music is about the only luxury I get during my hitches. I have a pair of SoundMagic E10 that I really enjoy, but they tend to get a little sloppy for my tastes at times. My new job pays pretty well, so I can afford to upgrade quite a bit. 

I don't really love a warm sound. To give you an idea of what I like, I am thrilled with running some Athena speakers (I have both bookshelf and standing) through the AudioEngine N22 desktop amp. The sound to me is nearly ideal for a budget setup. I even prefer it over some NHT floorstanders that I have, but that may be amp-related (it's an aging Onkyo). I do prefer a nice bass kick... if you have listened to the E10's, that is sufficient for me. I would like something a bit more delicate on the top end, and more controlled down low though. I'm not going to get into more technical terms etc. because I'll just sound stupid XD I just appreciate quality sound, the finer details of music, and am very sensitive to imperfections in sound. 

In addition to my sound preferences, I am a big fan of build quality. I am a mechanical engineer by degree, and my love for quality engineering and durability runs deep! This quality is second only to SQ for me. 

So, requirements:

-Great SQ with nice low end punch and delicate highs
-Build quality (I hate plastic)!
-Sounds good with or without amp (can use the N22 when I'm home, but not when I'm away. I'd also definitely consider a portable amp)
-Isn't audible to others at reasonable volumes and is relatively noise-isolating (I'm guessing this and the punch bass requirement rules out   open-backs... something that will isolate sounds as well as your typical ear bud is fine with me)
-Price doesn't matter much, I'd set a cap at ~$800. That said, I appreciate value and don't want to spend too much for little return. If the price is justifiable, I'll spend it.

I'd also be interested in hearing about good, portable music players. I currently use a Zune HD and am fairly impressed with the quality of sound achievable through it, but I would like to know if there are better options I can look into as well (strictly talking about sound quality here). 

Sorry for the long description, but hopefully it will help narrow the HUGE selection down. Thanks in advance for your help!

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #17,373 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello all,

This is my first post here, but I've been lurking as a guest for some time...I'd like to thank all the contributors for making a great website here - it's been a wealth of knowledge that's helped my research greatly.

That being said, I'm currently shopping for a new pair of cans.  My previous pair of JVC HARX-900's died recently.  The swivel point on the left can broke inside the housing, breaking the VERY thin wire that ran sound to the right side.  It was a shame because I did enjoy these headphones, but despite their overall solid feel, they did not last two years with everyday use.  I'm stuck not using a taped-up pair of Sony MDR-V150s...their ear pads are shedding that fake, paper-like pleather all over my ears.  Plus they don't sound as near as good as the JVCs did...

So, I started looking for something similar - A closed back over ear headphone that's built more robustly than the JVCs, and that won't break the bank (looking for <$150).  Here's where I've gotten myself so far:

I listen to mostly rock - anything from classic rock like Neil Young, some Smiths/Morrissey, Indie Rock such as Built to Spill, and piano rock like Ben Folds (Five).  Other than that, the headphones will also be used to watch TV, movies, etc on my computer.  I don't care about portability because they don't leave my computer.  My current setup had the 'phones plugged directly into my computer's headphone jack, but that may soon change...

What I'm considering/don't want:

Don't want:

ATH-M50 - Don't want - I don't like the design - I'm shying away from folding/lots of swiveling because of my issues with the JVCs, plus I'm not much of a basshead.

Shure 440 - same deal with the design, I'm not too much into it.

Sennheiser HD 280 - I considered these right up 'till I saw a pic of them, they appear to have that crappy ear pad material that doesn't last too long, like on my Sonys.  I won't ever get a 'phone that has them, and I'm not looking to spend more to put on another pair of ear pads.

Looking at:

AKG 271MKII - These are in the lead for me - a closed back, good ear pads (and two different pairs), decent reviews, plus i like the AKG design, it seems like a more solid design.

Koss Pro4/AA - Just a big, solid chunk of a 'phone - looks like it would last a nuclear holocaust

Panasonic RP-HTX7 - Good basic, solid looking design, but probably sounds as cheap as they are.  Possibly questionable materials despite the basic design.  Looks to be on the smaller side.

Here's the thing, I'd consider a semi-open 'phone like the AKG 240 or even a Superlux, but I'm concerned about sound leakage - my bedroom is just through the wall from my computer desk, and the door is always open, and my wife needs things pretty quiet when she's falling asleep, and I don't need her hearing my music or...um, 'movies' from the other room.  I don't blast my 'phones, but I'm not sure mow much they would leak in the real world.

As for amping, I'm not an audiophile by any means, and would not benefit too much from a high-end amp, I don't think.  I do realize that my computer is not up to the task (probably) of driving my first-choice AKG-271s, and I am shopping around yard sales/flea markets for a good deal on an old receiver with an integrated amp, and possibly an EQ, as well.

So basically (ha,ha) what I'm asking is:

Should I consider a semi-open phone that doesn't leak sound to another room - and which ones don't?
Knowing that I'm not wanting a high-end, high-impedance 'phone, will a decent old receiver with an integrated amp drive what I choose well?

Sorry for the novel, I tend to over-analyze when considering a new purchase.  Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

The modern AKG's below the Q/K 70x are now made in China and the build quality is a far cry from the classsic AKG studio cans that were made in Austria.  If you want build quality, look to Beyers or Sony studio cans.

Semi-open should be fine for your use with regard to leakage--unless your wife has rabbit ears.

If your receiver is old enough (early 80's and older) and of sufficient quality, it should push most any can other than many Orthos.

Aug 3, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #17,374 of 29,490
Quote:

Anyone?  I considered starting a new thread for this, but I don't want to annoy/offend anyone...

If you like the design of the AKG's they should be fine for you.  The semi-open AKG K240 MK II and Studio models don't leak all that much sound out at normal listening levels, but provide a little less isolation from outside sounds. 

Not all the swiveling headsets are easily subject to damage you know.  The Sony MDR V6 and MDR 7506 have been known to last a decade or more of constant use.  Both would be good choices for you, if you could stand their style. 

You might consider a new soundcard instead of a receiver.  The Asus Xonar DG or DS would probably suffice. 

Aug 3, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #17,375 of 29,490
Quote:
Would you guys consider the CAL!'s to be an upgrade from superlux 681's? or would the ATH-M50's be a better upgrade?
Can you suggest some cans with the same quantity and quality of bass as the HFI 580's? Sadly, they're not available in my country. :frowning2:

The CAL! might be a slight upgrade, but for a significant upgrade look to the Shure SRH 840 or KRK KNS 8400.

The M50 with its recessed mids is not an upgrade of the Superlux.  It is a different sound signature.

Can't help you much with true basshead cans as they are not my thing.

Aug 3, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #17,376 of 29,490
Quote:
Howdy,

I am currently using a pair of Sony MDR-V900's as my daily cans and easily listen to music for 6-8 hours a day.  The cord is starting to wear out and I'm thinking of stepping into the next level of sound.

I'm looking for something open backed, with an improved soundstage, instrument separation, and clarity.  Ideally something neutral enough to mix music (I have studio monitors as well), but also fun for extended listening.  

My tastes in music vary, but I listen to a lot of electronic music such as drum and bass, electro, Boards of Canada, hip hop, downtempo, but also highly enjoy jazz and classical (sample digging).

I've auditioned the Sennheiser HD650's the other weekend, but I felt they were lacking a bit in soundstage and didn't quite tickle my ears enough for the price.  The highs were definitely more open and airy, but it just wasn't what I was looking for.  

I've also been suggested the K702's, DT880's, HD800, LCD-2, and HiFiman400 or 500.  Big differences in price, but I'll save up the extra month if that is what it takes.

Any suggestions?

The K 702 (or Q 701) will give you the biggest sound stage of the sub $1,000 cans on your list.  However, they (especially the K version) may be bass light for your needs.

Aug 3, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #17,377 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys! Just looking for a quick recommendation for starting out.

I'm looking for something around $50. Also, these headphones will only be used at home. My library consists mainly of rips at 320kbps, and a few FLAC's.

Sound quality's the most important (I don't know how much quality you'll get out of $50 though). I listen to mainly kpop, alternative rock, and electronic-y music.

Closed or open phones? I hear open ones have better SQ, so I'll go with open? I prefer over ear to on ear.

If I'm missing ANYTHING, please let me know!

For $50--the Superlux HD668B Dynamic Semi-Open.  However, they made need some amping from some portable devices.

Aug 3, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #17,378 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey everyone, I just got in my Asus Xonar DG and HD 598. I'm wondering if I should be using Dolby Headphone for general listening. I.E. Music/TV Shows/Movies/Youtube. Reason I'm concerned is because the sound is so unnatural with it on. It's the only way I get that rumored band sitting in the room with you sound though. Suggestions?

This sounds like a sound card & computer question, which makes it better placed in the Computer Audio section of the forum.

Aug 3, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #17,379 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all, first time post here. I am looking for a good pair of over-ear headphones because I work overseas and good sq/good music is about the only luxury I get during my hitches. I have a pair of SoundMagic E10 that I really enjoy, but they tend to get a little sloppy for my tastes at times. My new job pays pretty well, so I can afford to upgrade quite a bit. 

I don't really love a warm sound. To give you an idea of what I like, I am thrilled with running some Athena speakers (I have both bookshelf and standing) through the AudioEngine N22 desktop amp. The sound to me is nearly ideal for a budget setup. I even prefer it over some NHT floorstanders that I have, but that may be amp-related (it's an aging Onkyo). I do prefer a nice bass kick... if you have listened to the E10's, that is sufficient for me. I would like something a bit more delicate on the top end, and more controlled down low though. I'm not going to get into more technical terms etc. because I'll just sound stupid XD I just appreciate quality sound, the finer details of music, and am very sensitive to imperfections in sound. 

In addition to my sound preferences, I am a big fan of build quality. I am a mechanical engineer by degree, and my love for quality engineering and durability runs deep! This quality is second only to SQ for me. 

So, requirements:

-Great SQ with nice low end punch and delicate highs
-Build quality (I hate plastic)!
-Sounds good with or without amp (can use the N22 when I'm home, but not when I'm away. I'd also definitely consider a portable amp)
-Isn't audible to others at reasonable volumes and is relatively noise-isolating (I'm guessing this and the punch bass requirement rules out   open-backs... something that will isolate sounds as well as your typical ear bud is fine with me)
-Price doesn't matter much, I'd set a cap at ~$800. That said, I appreciate value and don't want to spend too much for little return. If the price is justifiable, I'll spend it.

I'd also be interested in hearing about good, portable music players. I currently use a Zune HD and am fairly impressed with the quality of sound achievable through it, but I would like to know if there are better options I can look into as well (strictly talking about sound quality here). 

Sorry for the long description, but hopefully it will help narrow the HUGE selection down. Thanks in advance for your help!

Sony MDR 7520 or MDR-Z1000.

Aug 3, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #17,380 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey everyone, I just got in my Asus Xonar DG and HD 598. I'm wondering if I should be using Dolby Headphone for general listening. I.E. Music/TV Shows/Movies/Youtube. Reason I'm concerned is because the sound is so unnatural with it on. It's the only way I get that rumored band sitting in the room with you sound though. Suggestions?

Quote:

This sounds like a sound card & computer question, which makes it better placed in the Computer Audio section of the forum.

^ this. But its a stupid feature and I would never use it. I've never heard a fake-surround-sound or music 'enhancement' feature that didn't sound like balls.

Aug 3, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #17,381 of 29,490
KG, Kerry - thanks for your input.

Kerry:  I don't mind the Sony style, save for the awful ear pads that are the same material that's currently flaking off of my MDR-V150s.  At $100 for the MDR-7506, I shouldn't have to compromise on that.

I'll look into a sound card, but for the money, I'd rather have a 30lb piece of vintage awesomness.  Still keeping my options open, though.

KG:  Thanks for your input on AKG's lower-mid range quality.  I'll keep it in mind, but I suspect the in comapring the build quality between those and the JVC cans, the AKGs might still come out ahead, albiet by not as much as I prevoiusly thought. 

Beyers are a bit out of my price range, but I did eye the DT770 briefly.

My main concern is that I'm looking at headphones that match my musical interests, and hopefully someone can give me a good compairson of the sound difference betewwn the HARX-900ss and the AKG 271s.

Aug 3, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #17,382 of 29,490
Hey there, I'm kind of new to the audiophile thing and am looking to pick up a pair of headphones for about 65% gaming 35% music. I'm looking for something around the price range of up to $100~$150 CDN. Keep in mind, this might make it so some cheaper products from amazon.com might actually end up costing more for me, darn there being close to no canadian distributors. I have looked at the guides and saw that some of them are available at stores near me such as the M50's (which are actually above my price range, although I might get them if they are good.),and the Shure SRH440's. I'm also wondering if it would be better to get headphones and just buy a clip on mic, or just get a gaming headset such as the G35's, G930's, or the Siberia V2's. If you guys could suggest some other headphones in that price range that might be available to me or say anything about the ones I listed, that would be really awesome. Thanks a lot.

Aug 3, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #17,383 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey there, I'm kind of new to the audiophile thing and am looking to pick up a pair of headphones for about 65% gaming 35% music. I'm looking for something around the price range of up to $100~$150 CDN. Keep in mind, this might make it so some cheaper products from amazon.com might actually end up costing more for me, darn there being close to no canadian distributors. I have looked at the guides and saw that some of them are available at stores near me such as the M50's (which are actually above my price range, although I might get them if they are good.),and the Shure SRH440's. I'm also wondering if it would be better to get headphones and just buy a clip on mic, or just get a gaming headset such as the G35's, G930's, or the Siberia V2's. If you guys could suggest some other headphones in that price range that might be available to me or say anything about the ones I listed, that would be really awesome. Thanks a lot.

You'll get better sound quality for your money by getting headphones and a clip on mic versus a headset. The Audio Technica AD700 has a great soundstage and works very well for gaming but isn't so great for music. At least that's the general consensus.

Aug 3, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #17,384 of 29,490
Quote:

You'll get better sound quality for your money by getting headphones and a clip on mic versus a headset. The Audio Technica AD700 has a great soundstage and works very well for gaming but isn't so great for music. At least that's the general consensus.

I've looked at the AD700's and I couldn't for the life of me find a distributor in Canada, and Amazon.com doesn't ship them to Canada. I've looked at different online retailers and it seems that including taxes and brokerage, most of the time it'd be quite a bit more than my price range. Some stores near me that I can probably purchase headphones from are futureshop, best buy, and L&M

Edit: I'm also thinking about using these for music outside my home and I heard that the AD700's leak incredibly, which isn't surprising since they are open.

Aug 3, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #17,385 of 29,490
Having a bit of trouble deciding what I should go with..

Details:

Music:
Melodic Death Metal (Dark Tranquility, In Flames, Opeth)
EBM (Assemblage 23, VNV Nation, Neuroticfish) (Not Dubstep)
Goth? (The Birthday Massacre, Moonspell, Paradise Lost)

Open or Semi-Open (I need to be able to hear people talking to me from adjacent cubes, approx 6ft)

Will be plugged into a GrubDAC coming from a computer tower. Will not be powered by an amp initially but will be later on down the road (~8-12 months or so)

Looking to spend $100-$200. I could go a bit higher ~$50 but would like to keep it within the prior range.. I'd be willing to spend the extra money if it really gets me a noticeably better product.

I've been looking around and the AKG 240 MK II, M50, and SR225i come up quite a bit for headphones that work well with metal. But I'm looking for something that'll do well with EBM too.

I'd prefer the bass to be punchy and not drone. I'm pleased with the bass level on my HD202's, I just don't want it to overpower anything.

I'd like to stay away from anything too "Bright." I like the balance of my HD202's but wish the midrange wasn't so muddy.

Comfort is a big issue as well. The drivers from my HD202's rest directly on my ears and gives me a burning sensation after an hour or so.

I think that's everything, Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back