++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 3, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #17,386 of 29,490
Quote:
I've looked at the AD700's and I couldn't for the life of me find a distributor in Canada, and Amazon.com doesn't ship them to Canada. I've looked at different online retailers and it seems that including taxes and brokerage, most of the time it'd be quite a bit more than my price range. Some stores near me that I can probably purchase headphones from are futureshop, best buy, and L&M

Edit: I'm also thinking about using these for music outside my home and I heard that the AD700's leak incredibly, which isn't surprising since they are open.

Of those three stores Best Buy is the only one I'm familiar with so I took a look at bestbuy.ca and of the cans they have on their site I would personally go with one of the following:

Sennheiser HD429
Koss DJ100
Shure SRH440
Bose AE2

These are all closed-back cans and decently portable and while they're not necessarily ideal for gaming (open headphones tend to be just a tad better for gaming because of their wider soundstage) I still think you would be quite happy with any of them, in this price range.

Aug 3, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #17,387 of 29,490
Quote:

Of those three stores Best Buy is the only one I'm familiar with so I took a look at bestbuy.ca and of the cans they have on their site I would personally go with one of the following:

Sennheiser HD429
Koss DJ100
Shure SRH440
Bose AE2

These are all closed-back cans and decently portable and while they're not necessarily ideal for gaming (open headphones tend to be just a tad better for gaming because of their wider soundstage) I still think you would be quite happy with any of them, in this price range.

http://www.long-mcquade.com/departments/43/Pro_Audio_Recording/Headphones.htm has a lot of headphones that bestbuy doesn't have, and it also has the SRH440's at a cheaper price too. If you wouldn't mind looking there for some other suggestions that would really be great. They also have the Fostex T50RP, which I've seen a couple times on here. Just wondering how those are, if you've every experienced them. Oh, and it's a plus if the headsets look nice. I know Bose sounds great, but the designs don't look very appealing to me.

Aug 3, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #17,388 of 29,490
Hi,

Posted a thread wanting to know what headphones to try next being an AKG K 702 owner who also has a Grace Design m903 DAC-Headphone Amplifier. Don't get me wrong I am very happy with this set up. I mostly listen to jazz, some blues and some occasional classical (mostly orchestral). I was looking for a "step up" in performance over the AKGs that would work well with the m903.

What I like about the K702s:

1)- They present a spacious, airy sound stage
2)- They portray detail and subtlety within recordings
3)- they have a fairly neutral timbre to their sound

I am looking for headphones that have a neutral timbre, portray even greater detail than the AKGs but portray the soundstage more precisely. Not every recording is in a large hall so I want the soundstage to adjust to the recording. While I like the effect, I wonder if something does a better job at this?

I have looked at a number of possibilities and have eliminated some offerings from audio technica, denon, fostex, grado , koss, stax and ultrasone.  Their are 4 models of open air headphones between $700-$1,500 that all seem to be well regarded:

Audez'e LCD-2 - $995
Beyerdynamic T1 -$1,399
HiFiMAN HE-500 - $699
Sennheiser HD800 - $1499

Which these will match best to the m903 and meet my sonic desires for neutrality, musical detail and superior imaging and instrument placement? All of these cans are regarded as better than the AKGs but which one do you think is right for me?

Thanks,

Bob

Aug 3, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #17,389 of 29,490
Quote:
http://www.long-mcquade.com/departments/43/Pro_Audio_Recording/Headphones.htm has a lot of headphones that bestbuy doesn't have, and it also has the SRH440's at a cheaper price too. If you wouldn't mind looking there for some other suggestions that would really be great. They also have the Fostex T50RP, which I've seen a couple times on here. Just wondering how those are, if you've every experienced them. Oh, and it's a plus if the headsets look nice. I know Bose sounds great, but the designs don't look very appealing to me.

Those guys have the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro. I actually really like my 770s for gaming. The only down side with them is that they sound their best with an amp so they may not perform to their full potential plugged directly into an mp3 player but the 80 ohm version should still get loud enough and you could consider adding a Fiio E6 or E11 amp as well. I haven't tried the T50RP but I can tell you that they are very highly regarded.

Aug 3, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #17,390 of 29,490
I don't really have much experience with buying cans. The only ones that I have really owned were some Skullcandy Heshs that a friend gave me. They didn't sound very good compared to my IEMs (S4s that have stopped working and Klipsch refuses to honor the warranty even though it was their driver that failed). They also were not very comfortable. I couldn't stand them anymore so I gave them back. I have $60 to spend on some new over ear headphones and would like some advice.

Didn't Read? No Problem. Here is the relevant info.

Music I Listen To

Rock/Alt
Jazz/Funk
Anything Else That Doesn't Offend My Ears 

Type Of Headphones I am Looking For

Closed Or Semi-Open
Over Ear
Not too much bass. (I understand the difference between bass being tight and too heavy.)
Relatively Comfortable (But sound is the priority)

Budget

$60 or less. (I understand it is customary to ask people if they would be willing to spend more, but in my current situation I would say no.)

Current Considerations

1. Shure SRH-240
2. Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs
3. Sennheiser HD 419
4. Sony MDR-XD200
5. Anything Else You Can Recommend

Thank you in advance.

Aug 3, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #17,391 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,
Posted a thread wanting to know what headphones to try next being an AKG K 702 owner who also has a Grace Design m903 DAC-Headphone Amplifier. Don't get me wrong I am very happy with this set up. I mostly listen to jazz, some blues and some occasional classical (mostly orchestral). I was looking for a "step up" in performance over the AKGs that would work well with the m903.
What I like about the K702s:
1)- They present a spacious, airy sound stage
2)- They portray detail and subtlety within recordings
3)- they have a fairly neutral timbre to their sound
I am looking for headphones that have a neutral timbre, portray even greater detail than the AKGs but portray the soundstage more precisely. Not every recording is in a large hall so I want the soundstage to adjust to the recording. While I like the effect, I wonder if something does a better job at this?
I have looked at a number of possibilities and have eliminated some offerings from audio technica, denon, fostex, grado , koss, stax and ultrasone.  Their are 4 models of open air headphones between $700-$1,500 that all seem to be well regarded:
Audez'e LCD-2 - $995
Beyerdynamic T1 -$1,399
HiFiMAN HE-500 - $699
Sennheiser HD800 - $1499
Which these will match best to the m903 and meet my sonic desires for neutrality, musical detail and superior imaging and instrument placement? All of these cans are regarded as better than the AKGs but which one do you think is right for me?
Thanks,
Bob

Your question belongs in the Summit Fi  and/or Headphone Amp sections of the forum.  With the exception of the HE-500, all equipment you discuss, including your amp/dac is at or above the $1,000 level.

Aug 3, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #17,392 of 29,490
Quote:

Those guys have the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro. I actually really like my 770s for gaming. The only down side with them is that they sound their best with an amp so they may not perform to their full potential plugged directly into an mp3 player but the 80 ohm version should still get loud enough and you could consider adding a Fiio E6 or E11 amp as well. I haven't tried the T50RP but I can tell you that they are very highly regarded.

I actually went into their store today and saw that they indeed did have the Shure 440's and M50's, since I didn't see this post till now I didn't keep an eye out for the DT770 but according to the website, they have them in stock. For the 440's or the M50's would you also recommend amps? I'm unsure about where to get Fiio amps in Canada, but I might be able to find a distributor. What do you think would be a good price for the E6? Also, what's the main difference between the DT770 pro and the 80 ohm?  Also, for the price, would you rather suggest the 440's ($99), M50's($180), or DT770pro/80 ohm($165/$185)?

Aug 3, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #17,393 of 29,490
Quote:
I don't really have much experience with buying cans. The only ones that I have really owned were some Skullcandy Heshs that a friend gave me. They didn't sound very good compared to my IEMs (S4s that have stopped working and Klipsch refuses to honor the warranty even though it was their driver that failed). They also were not very comfortable. I couldn't stand them anymore so I gave them back. I have $60 to spend on some new over ear headphones and would like some advice.

Didn't Read? No Problem. Here is the relevant info.

Music I Listen To

Rock/Alt
Jazz/Funk
Anything Else That Doesn't Offend My Ears 

Type Of Headphones I am Looking For

Closed Or Semi-Open
Over Ear
Not too much bass. (I understand the difference between bass being tight and too heavy.)
Relatively Comfortable (But sound is the priority)

Budget

$60 or less. (I understand it is customary to ask people if they would be willing to spend more, but in my current situation I would say no.)

Current Considerations

1. Shure SRH-240
2. Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs
3. Sennheiser HD 419
4. Sony MDR-XD200
5. Anything Else You Can Recommend

Thank you in advance.

The Superlux HD668B Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones.

Aug 3, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #17,394 of 29,490
Quote:
I actually went into their store today and saw that they indeed did have the Shure 440's and M50's, since I didn't see this post till now I didn't keep an eye out for the DT770 but according to the website, they have them in stock. For the 440's or the M50's would you also recommend amps? I'm unsure about where to get Fiio amps in Canada, but I might be able to find a distributor. What do you think would be a good price for the E6? Also, what's the main difference between the DT770 pro and the 80 ohm?  Also, for the price, would you rather suggest the 440's ($99), M50's($180), or DT770pro/80 ohm($165/$185)?

Neither the 440 nor the M50 normally need an amp from even a portable device or stock computer.

Aug 3, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #17,395 of 29,490
Quote:

They are both "DT770 Pro", the only difference being that one is 250 ohm and the other is 80 ohm. The 80 ohm is easier to drive. I'm not sure why the 80 ohm version is more expensive on their site, probably just because its a little more popular because most people don't have amps. For the price I'd say the 770s are the best of the three, especially the DT770pro/250 at $165 though like I said, its harder to drive than the 80 ohm and definitely needs an amp.

Here in the states the E6 is just $25 or less. And KG Jag is right, the M50 and SRH440 don't require an amp.

Aug 3, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #17,396 of 29,490
Quote:

They are both "DT770 Pro", the only difference being that one is 250 ohm and the other is 80 ohm. The 80 ohm is easier to drive. I'm not sure why the 80 ohm version is more expensive on their site, probably just because its a little more popular because most people don't have amps. For the price I'd say the 770s are the best of the three, especially the DT770pro/250 at $165 though like I said, its harder to drive than the 80 ohm and definitely needs an amp.

Here in the states the E6 is just $25 or less. And KG Jag is right, the M50 and SRH440 don't require an amp.

I'm unsure if the 770's are really in my price range. $165 is cutting it pretty close, but the fact that it needs an amp and the only E6 I could find was $30 give or take a couple dollars for shipping, I'm unsure if I can do that. It looks like I'm kind of down to the Shure 440's, finding something a little cheaper or end up saving up to buy the 770's or a better set of cans. Any suggestions?

Aug 3, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #17,398 of 29,490
The Superlux HD668B Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones.

Thanks for the prompt response. If I do end up going with these, is it true that you need to EQ the treble down quite a bit? I can do it, but I would rather have something that can get a reasonably even response on its own so I don't have to mess with the EQ when I switch devices or use someone else's. I have heard that the upper range is about 8 db too strong.

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #17,400 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks for the prompt response. If I do end up going with these, is it true that you need to EQ the treble down quite a bit? I can do it, but I would rather have something that can get a reasonably even response on its own so I don't have to mess with the EQ when I switch devices or use someone else's. I have heard that the upper range is about 8 db too strong.

You may well want to EQ them to deal with the upper-mids/lower-highs.  I use with them with no EQ.  Simply put--there are limitations for what you can get for $50.  (Other than a clone) Show me another $50 to $60 can you can get with the bass, sound stage and overall frequency response of the Superlux.  If you want a good mid-centric $50-ish closed can instead, get the Koss ProDJ100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back