++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 2, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #17,312 of 29,490
Quote:
It's important that the bass will be very accurate.

This is not my personal opinion as I have no experience whatsoever, but from what I've read around the forum, the M50s are a good choice. Ultrasone HFI 580 I heard is a good choice for bass. A lot of people suggest Sony and Beyerdynamics for bass too, at least that's what I gather. Have you checked those out?

Some helpful links because my opinions aren't reliable:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more
http://www.head-fi.org/t/614523/beyerdynamic-dt770-pro-vs-audio-technica-ath-m50-vs-ultrasone-pro-750-vs-ultrasone-hfi-780s
http://www.head-fi.org/t/620723/studio-recording-headphones-suggestions

Aug 2, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #17,313 of 29,490
Hey all,

Hope this is the right place to post this.  Pretty much totally new to headphones and looking for some advice I can trust!  I've only had Astro A40's and then Sennheiser PC360's for gaming, but now I'm really looking for a solid pair of headphones that can give me better enjoyment out of EDM (trance, progressive, and dubstep mostly).  If it came down to two pairs of very similar headphones and one was noticeably better for gaming in some way, I suppose that'd be a factor, but mainly just looking for better music quality. 

What I've looked at so far are the HD 600 and the HD 650 for Sennheiser.  My price range probably isn't over $500 if I can help it, because I figure I need to get an amp with it too.  So those were like $400 and $420 on Amazon.  Anyways, I'm open to suggestions and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction of stuff that is really good for trance and whatnot!  Being so new at this, it's tough to say what headphones are good for what types of music.  I also know nothing about amps other than I've been told I need one.  Could someone point me in the right direction there, too?  Hopefully not something too expensive, but I'm willing to pay what's necessary if it's a great product.

Aug 2, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #17,314 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey all,

Hope this is the right place to post this.  Pretty much totally new to headphones and looking for some advice I can trust!  I've only had Astro A40's and then Sennheiser PC360's for gaming, but now I'm really looking for a solid pair of headphones that can give me better enjoyment out of EDM (trance, progressive, and dubstep mostly).  If it came down to two pairs of very similar headphones and one was noticeably better for gaming in some way, I suppose that'd be a factor, but mainly just looking for better music quality. 

What I've looked at so far are the HD 600 and the HD 650 for Sennheiser.  My price range probably isn't over $500 if I can help it, because I figure I need to get an amp with it too.  So those were like $400 and $420 on Amazon.  Anyways, I'm open to suggestions and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction of stuff that is really good for trance and whatnot!  Being so new at this, it's tough to say what headphones are good for what types of music.  I also know nothing about amps other than I've been told I need one.  Could someone point me in the right direction there, too?  Hopefully not something too expensive, but I'm willing to pay what's necessary if it's a great product.

While they are both definitely very good headphones I would think the 650 would be better for trance because its got a little more bass response and slightly more sub-bass. Neither are basshead cans though, by any stretch, and both are fully open cans which means less bass impact compared to closed cans. If very strong bass is important to you you may want to look elsewhere, for example toward the Ultrasones.

Aug 2, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #17,315 of 29,490
Quote:

This is not my personal opinion as I have no experience whatsoever, but from what I've read around the forum, the M50s are a good choice. Ultrasone HFI 580 I heard is a good choice for bass. A lot of people suggest Sony and Beyerdynamics for bass too, at least that's what I gather. Have you checked those out?

Some helpful links because my opinions aren't reliable:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more
http://www.head-fi.org/t/614523/beyerdynamic-dt770-pro-vs-audio-technica-ath-m50-vs-ultrasone-pro-750-vs-ultrasone-hfi-780s
http://www.head-fi.org/t/620723/studio-recording-headphones-suggestions

I have thought about dt770 beyerdynamic but was dissuaded, but right now I'm leaning towards Audio-Technica ATH-M50, thing is, I'm wondering If they're worth it.
I'm mostly here to hear more recommendations and opinions.

Aug 2, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #17,316 of 29,490
Hello Head-fi, I've been looking for new headphones on a $150 price range, I've been trying to research online but every option I find has some negative review which turns me off, can you help me? I would like them to have these features:

-Detachable cable
-Foldable (preferably flat, but anything is OK).
-On ear style
-I will mainly use them on the subway and the bus, so while I don't require noise cancellation, I would prefer to filter out most sounds. They should have good volume.

I'm mainly listening to metal, rock, blues and some pop. I've seen the wildy hyped Beats headphones and they have decent features similar to mine but they are very expensive and I think I can do better. Thanks in advance!

Aug 2, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #17,317 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello Head-fi, I've been looking for new headphones on a $150 price range, I've been trying to research online but every option I find has some negative review which turns me off, can you help me? I would like them to have these features:

-Detachable cable
-On ear style
-I will mainly use them on the subway and the bus, so while I don't require noise cancellation, I would prefer to filter out most sounds. They should have good volume.

I'm mainly listening to metal, rock, blues and some pop. I've seen the wildy hyped Beats headphones and they have decent features similar to mine but they are very expensive and I think I can do better. Thanks in advance!

How about the AKG Q460? Run around $90-100 on amazon. Ticks all your boxes.

Aug 2, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #17,318 of 29,490
Quote:
I have thought about dt770 beyerdynamic but was dissuaded, but right now I'm leaning towards Audio-Technica ATH-M50, thing is, I'm wondering If they're worth it.
I'm mostly here to hear more recommendations and opinions.

Have you read the reviews of it? http://www.head-fi.org/t/620723/studio-recording-headphones-suggestions
And then to the right column, if you scroll down a little, there'll be related threads - so comparisons and stuff too.

Like I mentioned, Sony seems to be a go-to hp for people who enjoy bass.

P.S - I'm still looking for recommendations to my post in this thread.

Aug 2, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #17,319 of 29,490
Quote:
I think I'll go with the Ultrasone Pro 900 - portable, sturdy, comes with a case, good for rock/metal/trance and there's less chance I'll be looking for an upgrade (Unlike if I were to get the Pro 750 or HFI 780 instead).

Yes/No?

No guarantees here against upgrade-itis.

The Pro 900 is for bassheads.  Is that's you, they're a good can.

If you want more balance the Pro 750 is a better--and cheaper--choice.

Aug 2, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #17,320 of 29,490
Quote:

-Detachable cable
-On ear style

Ultrasone HiFi 780.

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #17,321 of 29,490
Hi Everyone,

i'm looking for a new pair of either IEMs of headphones. Here are some of the features I want them to have.

1. First I want them to be very durable and have detachable cables. because I'll be using them everywhere
  2. The next most important feature is comfort. I need them to be very comfortable again for the same reason as above.
  3. the last is that they must have decent isolation.

Im listening mainly to jazz, pop, rock and spoken voice (audiobooks).

thanks in advance!

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #17,322 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

i'm looking for a new pair of either IEMs of headphones. Here are some of the features I want them to have.

1. First I want them to be very durable and have detachable cables. because I'll be using them everywhere
  2. The next most important feature is comfort. I need them to be very comfortable again for the same reason as above.
  3. the last is that they must have decent isolation.

Im listening mainly to jazz, pop, rock and spoken voice (audiobooks).

thanks in advance!

What is your budget?

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?  Note: this is different than isolation.

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #17,323 of 29,490
Quote:
What is your budget?

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?  Note: this is different than isolation.

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

ah my budget is around less than $200.

yes. im ok with open cans, I just want them to be comfy.

as for equipment, I use either my iphone or my sony e-series walkman along with a fiio e5 amp.

for the music I mostly FLACs, if I can find them if not Im stuck with mp3s/aac. For audiobooks i just use mp3s but since audiobooks are just spoken words, quality is not important for them.

thanks!

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #17,324 of 29,490
My post in this thread ended up being overlooked, so I'm not sure if I should repost or just continue waiting patiently.

Looking for a pair of headphones that are balanced, bass is controlled but gives a good punch, good instrumental separation and something that will bring out the vocals of a song in a warm sense, not sure if it can be described like that. The highs should just be clear, nothing too shrill/harsh. Comfort is important, as well as isolation, but not as important compared to comfort. Cable is preferably detachable. Music: k-pop, pop, rnb, ballad, rock, alternative, blues/jazz, hip hop.

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #17,325 of 29,490
Quote:
My post in this thread ended up being overlooked, so I'm not sure if I should repost or just continue waiting patiently.

Looking for a pair of headphones that are balanced, bass is controlled but gives a good punch, good instrumental separation and something that will bring out the vocals of a song in a warm sense, not sure if it can be described like that. The highs should just be clear, nothing too shrill/harsh. Comfort is important, as well as isolation, but not as important compared to comfort. Cable is preferably detachable. Music: k-pop, pop, rnb, ballad, rock, alternative, blues/jazz, hip hop.

It's only been about five hours since you made your initial longish post.  Please have some patience.

Here's the problem/challenge: You have about $200 to $250 to spend on cans that handle both bass heavy and mid centric music and have minimal amplification to accomplish this.  On top of that you want comfort, portable, moderate size, non-analytical and a certain type of highs (that knocks out Ultrasones). That's quite a bit to ask.  I can't think of anything that will do all that for you.

Closest shot: V-Moda M80  (does not fold up) or IEM's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back