++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 28, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #17,057 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys!

Can anyone recommend a pair of closed headphones for gaming? It would be a 40/60 ratio for gaming/music respectively. I listen to many types of music. From Coldplay to Tiesto. So a good all-rounder would be best. Also, I will be driving these with a FiiO E10 DAC. (Not purchased yet. So if you'd like to recommend an alternative DAC, feel free.)

Top genres:
-FPS
-RTS
-Racing
-RPG

I'm currently using Sennheiser HD558s. I'm returning these because I live in a fairly noisy area and the sound leak is just to much.

Budget: ~$130 USD

if your budget wasnt so low these would do you well,
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-MMX-300-Premium-Microphone/dp/B001BYMZ5W
the sennheiser HD 449 has excellent sound stage for a closed headphone and since you listen to many music genres these would do well too

Jul 28, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #17,058 of 29,490
Quote:

All three of these cans are balanced and at least neutral-ish.  The M50 has recessed mids--which means recessed guitars and vocals.

Well the M50s wont be very fun as I listen to a lot of rock/prog rock/guitar solo artists lol.

Does anyone disagree that I should go for the KRK KNS 8400. I listen to rock ^, also use for radio production, wear headphones for TV as well. Looking for headphones that can handle a lot the best it can.

Jul 28, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #17,059 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello :)

This thread is looking like a mess (huge recommendation threads tend to not work) but Ill post anyways:

Music genres: Hip-hop. Only thing I listen to.
Price range:  Technially I dont have one. Obviously Im not going to carry around 500 dollar headphones around with me either in a public/street enviroment.
Portable: Yes. Without a question they have to be portable
Closed/Open: Open. I perfer open as its more comfy than having your ears surrounded. I dont care if it leaks sounds as that doesnt affect me.
Looks: Around the neck.  I listen to a lot of music a lot of hours during the day.
Miscellaneous: I like bass in my hip-hop and very loud volumes BUT the most important thing would be that the artist's voice (vocals) is completely clear and understandable.  Also please comfortable as there are some around the neck that you have to "stretch" before your body gets use to them.
Looking at: Sennheiser PMX 90, Siberia Neckband Headset
Had: Grado iGrado, Sennheiser PMX 60

I want to order ASAP as I like being with music very much and Im going to be at least a week without it (no headphones) because of shipping.

Ultrasone HFI-580, Beyerdynamic DT 990, Denon AHD 2000, (Beats by dre JK
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #17,061 of 29,490
Quote:

Ultrasone HFI-580, Beyerdynamic DT 990, Denon AHD 2000, (Beats by dre JK
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Ive heard about Beats being horrible but I see its a laughng stock lol.....

These look great (more so the quality) but I did mention that I like behind the neck and open ear headphones.

Also, I mentioned about price range being no limit (it still isnt although it would suck to spend 300 bucks on headphones) but I also said that this is for street/outdoor usage. When you are outside, people bump into you, your headphones, might drop, etc....So although Im willing to spend cash on it, Im not willing to go crazy on headphone that will recieve certain "abuse"

Im not sure if you read the part of the headphones Ive used and the ones Im looking at...

Quote:
Hello :)

This thread is looking like a mess (huge recommendation threads tend to not work) but Ill post anyways:

Music genres: Hip-hop. Only thing I listen to.
Price range: Technially I dont have one. Obviously Im not going to carry around 500 dollar headphones around with me either in a public/street enviroment.
Portable: Yes. Without a question they have to be portable
Closed/Open: Open. I perfer open as its more comfy than having your ears surrounded. I dont care if it leaks sounds as that doesnt affect me.
Looks: Around the neck. I listen to a lot of music a lot of hours during the day.
Miscellaneous: I like bass in my hip-hop and very loud volumes BUT the most important thing would be that the artist's voice (vocals) is completely clear and understandable. Also please comfortable as there are some around the neck that you have to "stretch" before your body gets use to them.
Looking at: Sennheiser PMX 90, Siberia Neckband Headset
Had: Grado iGrado, Sennheiser PMX 60

I want to order ASAP as I like being with music very much and Im going to be at least a week without it (no headphones) because of shipping.

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #17,062 of 29,490
cheap amp for 1/8 jack on MP3 player to my HD518's?

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #17,063 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys!

Can anyone recommend a pair of closed headphones for gaming? It would be a 40/60 ratio for gaming/music respectively. I listen to many types of music. From Coldplay to Tiesto. So a good all-rounder would be best. Also, I will be driving these with a FiiO E10 DAC. (Not purchased yet. So if you'd like to recommend an alternative DAC, feel free.)

Top genres:
-FPS
-RTS
-Racing
-RPG

I'm currently using Sennheiser HD558s. I'm returning these because I live in a fairly noisy area and the sound leak is just to much.

Budget: ~$130 USD

Have a look at Sennheiser HD380 pro's if you can stretch your budget. Same drivers as 558's and 598's, angled, great isolation.  And as it was already recommended, HD449 is great.  I have HD438's, which is a lower end model, but it sounds absolutely amazing when EQ'ed (stock its too bass heavy and muddy), I prefer it to all my headphones for some genres of music. Great soundstage, great tonality and timbre, and also by far the best comfortable headphones I own.

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #17,064 of 29,490
Quote:

Good idea to sleep on it ("sleeping it off" means something much different).

Using the Sony with an amp is fine, as long as you don't have the volume too high.  It's a very good and virtually unknown open can here in the U.S.

Yep, it sure is :) and yeah :D

Now I've been thinking a lot on what I want and I've been comparing the prices.
DT 880's would be cheaper but I think that they would be too bright for me.
I'm gonna go with the HD 650's as my first quality headphones.
Reason why I decided to go with them instead of the HD600's is the price difference, reading up the reviews and now I see that the sound of the 650's will suit me better and the 650's ain't that pricey if I order them from Germany or UK.
I'll order the Audinst and the Senn's around mid August.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But enough of that, I'm already thinking ahead of myself with what I want next.

Now around mid September I'd want to get three headphones, two full-size headphones and one would be portable use and I think I already know what I want for that so I'll not discuss that in this subforum.
Doing some calculations and I'd possibly have around 600€ to blow (~ £470/$740) for the total of three headphones.

HP #1. Rock and SID metal/metal, band examples: Volbeat/Machinae Supremacy/Metallica/Disturbed/and so on.
My guess would be Grado SR80i or SR125i?

HP #2. Bassy music. And I mean really low bass, I don't want bloaty boomy bass but the low end should be distinct. Rap, Hiphop etcetera.
Example songs: Pendulum ft. In Flames - Self vs Self, Young Jeezy ft. Kanye West - Put on, B-Legit - Where is this going
Now for this headphone I have NO IDEA what so ever at what I should be looking for. I'll make a wild guess that I'd need to look at semi open or closed for the deep lows?

Now let's see the budget
600€ minus ~250€ for Beyerdynamic DT1350's
so were left with ~350€
Grado SR80i ~£113/144€ vs Grado SR125i ~£160/205€
So with SR125i's being 50€ more compared to SR80i's, will I get something amazing for that 50€?
So we are left with ~150€ or ~200€ for the bass headphones depending on which Grado I will get.

P.S. Sorry for the messy post and a wall of text.
P.P.S. "Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry for your wallet."

Jul 28, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #17,065 of 29,490
Quote:

Weird I don't find HD650's any darker than DT880 600 ohm version.  I mean, DT880 has a bit more presence up in the highs, but in that area there aren't many sounds, just mostly details.  Cymbal crashes and stuff like that sounds equally bright and "fatiguing" on HD650's as on DT880's to me. Also, 880's have much better bass (and more of it, except for mid bass which is kinda muddy on HD650's in comparison). Mids are about equal, slightly recessed on both, but slightly fulled on HD650's.

Jul 28, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #17,066 of 29,490
Quote:
Yep, it sure is :) and yeah :D

Now I've been thinking a lot on what I want and I've been comparing the prices.
Reason why I decided to go with them instead of the HD600's is the price difference, reading up the reviews and now I see that the sound of the 650's will suit me better and the 650's ain't that pricey if I order them from Germany or UK.
I'll order the Audinst and the Senn's around mid August.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But enough of that, I'm already thinking ahead of myself with what I want next.

Now around mid September I'd want to get three headphones, two full-size headphones and one would be portable use and I think I already know what I want for that so I'll not discuss that in this subforum.
Doing some calculations and I'd possibly have around 600€ to blow (~ £470/$740) for the total of three headphones.

HP #1. Rock and SID metal/metal, band examples: Volbeat/Machinae Supremacy/Metallica/Disturbed/and so on.
My guess would be Grado SR80i or SR125i?

HP #2. Bassy music. And I mean really low bass, I don't want bloaty boomy bass but the low end should be distinct. Rap, Hiphop etcetera.
Example songs: Pendulum ft. In Flames - Self vs Self, Young Jeezy ft. Kanye West - Put on, B-Legit - Where is this going
Now for this headphone I have NO IDEA what so ever at what I should be looking for. I'll make a wild guess that I'd need to look at semi open or closed for the deep lows?

Now let's see the budget
600€ minus ~250€ for Beyerdynamic DT1350's
so were left with ~350€
Grado SR80i ~£113/144€ vs Grado SR125i ~£160/205€
So with SR125i's being 50€ more compared to SR80i's, will I get something amazing for that 50€?
So we are left with ~150€ or ~200€ for the bass headphones depending on which Grado I will get.

P.S. Sorry for the messy post and a wall of text.
P.P.S. "Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry for your wallet."

For HP #1 get the 80i or (the better) Alessandro MS1 if you cannot get 225i to fit your budget.

Jul 28, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #17,067 of 29,490
If I am to get fostex T50 for portable use, I need to get a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter.

Is there any real sound degration from adapter to adapter? If so, what would be one of the best under $30

Currently, I am unable to afford a portable amp.

Jul 28, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #17,068 of 29,490
Quote:
If I am to get fostex T50 for portable use, I need to get a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter.
Is there any real sound degration from adapter to adapter? If so, what would be one of the best under $30
Currently, I am unable to afford a portable amp.

The cable on the Fostex T50RP is removeable, so another option if you'd prefer is getting another cable, altho I would assume that'd certainly be more than the adapter.  I just got a fostex in yesterday, and the cable has some instantly noticeable issues when I started using it.

Jul 28, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #17,069 of 29,490
Quote:
For HP #1 get the 80i or (the better) Alessandro MS1 if you cannot get 225i to fit your budget.

Well I've been looking at the prices (USA vs UK vs FI) and the Grado's are ABSURDLY priced this side of the pond..

SR225i in Amazon.com for $200, in UK/Finland it's ~297€/299€ and that's ~$370
Looks like I'm gonna sign up for some mail forwarding service and order the stuff from USA.
Also I'm gonna get E9+E7 combo instead of the Audinst, simply because they (FiiO's) look better and after shipping, taxes and customs it's still the same price as the Audinst would be from South Korea.. Also both of them have pretty much the same features as far as I can tell.. And the more I buy from US at one time the more it is worth it considering the shipping prices and a mail forwarding service. I'll buy a Fiio A1 as well, just for the heck of it. I already have two Lepai TA2020A+ amps but matching hp amp and speaker amp is way too tempting LOL

So I'll buy/order the SR225i+Fiio's first on week 33 and then month after get the HD650 from Germany along with something else.
P.S. argh I hate having to change my mind but I think I changed my mind to a better choice.
P.P.S This is the last time I'll change my mind on this matter!
P.P.P.S. Aww headhurts after like 5hours of comparing prices and shipping costs and calculating customs and taxes and whatnot on my Galaxy Note. Gotta go to sleep LOL.

Jul 28, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #17,070 of 29,490
Hi, ladies and gentlemen.
I will ask for suggestions in here. I'm new to the world of cool sound and I'm looking for some headphones. I like several kinds of music, from classical to death metal, with a lot of stuff in between, but I mainly hear rock. I really love the usage of bass (I mean the instrument, the bass guitar) in rock, and so, I love to hear it in my songs. It doesn't really matter if the bass makes you feel a vibration like when you're listening to speakers with a subwoofer. I would like some headphones in which I could hear all instruments clearly, specially the bass 
happy_face1.gif

I know it strongly depends on the quality of the recording, but assuming that the source is good, what heaphones would help me to follow the bass in a song?

Based on my research in this, they should be on-the-ear or around-the-ear (prefereably on-the-ear), beacuase I find earbuds and in-ear uncomfortable. They should also be closed-back. I have a couple of headphones that are enough when I'm on the go, so portability would be a "pro" but not a "must". My budget is 100 bucks.

What else... mmm... Just a couple of representative examples of songs in which I love the sound of the bass:

- The Mission - Severina
- Nirvana - Lounge act
- Aterciopelados - Baracunata

So, what do you people think?? 

thanks in advance. cheers to all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back