++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 27, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #17,026 of 29,490
Quote:
It's safe to say there are those that do use mp3 files (320kbps) and are satisfied?
Thanks.

People were satisfied listening to 78's until 45's, 33 1/3's and FM radio came along.

The difference with MP3's is that the CD's, LP's and even tapes that came before have/had superior sound.  However, they weren't as convenient and could not be had for free as easily as MP3's.  Further the difference in sound was not that significant on typical teenage equipment and in the context of the lack of quality of many of the recordings.

Jul 27, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #17,027 of 29,490
Repost
Quote:
I'm looking for a new pair of headphones in the $300 range. Coming from the HD25, I want something with better extension into the lower frequencies, a larger soundstage, and slightly less treble emphasis (not after a dark-sounding headphone, though, just a little bit less peakiness). Right now I'm looking at the K550 and the HE-300. I'll be using them with my Matrix Mini-i so they'll need to be relatively easy to drive. No preference as to open or closed as I'll only be using them at home. What do you guys think?

Jul 27, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #17,028 of 29,490
Quote:
Are using MP3 (320kbps) files going to sound good with full sized phones?

For most audio samples and nearly every listeners? They'll almost certainly sound
as good (or bad) as the original source. However, there are some audio clips which
have audible defects when encoded with LAME -- one of the most popular "encoders" -- 
in its best modes (320kbps CBR and "V0" VBR). I now encode using FLAC and
re-encode into MP3 for my car but it takes a lot more disc space.

Jul 27, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #17,029 of 29,490
Quote:

The best I can do to help you is to give you recommendations of some of the best new cans in the $300 +/- range (or less) based on U.S. street prices.

These would include: AKG Q701 (less), Beyer DT 880 (+/- Pro), Alessandro MS2, Sony MDR-MA900 (less) and Senn HD 598 (less).

The AKG K 550 is said to be good, but some folks, like those of use with beards, have trouble getting a good seal--which is necessary to get the full benefit of this can.

Jul 27, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #17,030 of 29,490
Quote:
The AKG K 550 is said to be good, but some folks, like those of use with beards, have trouble getting a good seal--which is necessary to get the full benefit of this can.

This is good to know. I have a beard and also usually wear glasses so these kind of issues are ones I'd like to avoid. :)

Jul 27, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #17,031 of 29,490
Quote:
 You'll do better with the more neutral Shure SRH 840, Sony MDR 7510 or KRK KNS 8400.

Shure SRH 840 looks the best. I really like the idea of replacable cables and ear pads. I also read they are a bit heavy and not very good for metal/rock music (I listen to a lot, but am I really going to notice?), how do theses beat the Audio Tehnicia M50s?

Thanks

Jul 27, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #17,032 of 29,490
Quote:
Shure SRH 840 looks the best. I really like the idea of replacable cables and ear pads. I also read they are a bit heavy and not very good for metal/rock music (I listen to a lot, but am I really going to notice?), how do theses beat the Audio Tehnicia M50s?

Thanks

The KRK's have replaceable cables and ear pads and are probably more durable. I hear a lot of complaints about the build quality of Shures.

Jul 27, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #17,033 of 29,490
Quote:

The KRK's have replaceable cables and ear pads and are probably more durable. I hear a lot of complaints about the build quality of Shures.

I've never hear of KRK new company ? Are these headphones natural/flat? Harsh treble hurts my ears and would you say they are better than the M50s? Tricky to pick new headphones with so many choices and I don't know anywhere I can test some

Jul 27, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #17,035 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks

All three of these cans are balanced and at least neutral-ish.  The M50 has recessed mids--which means recessed guitars and vocals.

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #17,036 of 29,490
Can you guys recommend a cheap over ear headphone with good/great isolation that is good for listening to speech and podcast and also maybe for music?

some of the podcast recording that i have are very bad with random noise so i need something that can allow me to hear the spoken word clearly.

Also the isolation nedd to be good enough to isolate from external noise, fan noise, nagging etc..

Something that sound gentle and clear for speech.

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #17,037 of 29,490
Quote:
Can you guys recommend a cheap over ear headphone with good/great isolation that is good for listening to speech and podcast and also maybe for music?

some of the podcast recording that i have are very bad with random noise so i need something that can allow me to hear the spoken word clearly.

Also the isolation nedd to be good enough to isolate from external noise, fan noise, nagging etc..

Define "cheap". :) What's your price range?

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #17,038 of 29,490
Quote:

If the recordings are bad a good pair of headphones will only make them sound worse. Nothing can make up for good recording. I have a lot of music that would otherwise sound great if the recording was done better but hey, not everyone has a top notch recording studio :p

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #17,039 of 29,490
Quote:

Are these rendered in stereo?  If so, something with a stereo/mono switch, such as the Koss ProDJ100 (+ bettter pads for comfort and increased isloation).

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #17,040 of 29,490
Yeah. So I need something that good enough so that the podcast will not sound overly bad or harsh with random noise.

The most important is that maybe it concentrated on the frequency of human speech better and no treble peak which can make you wince when they suddenly come to you when you're listening. ( because of the bad recording)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back