++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 29, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #17,086 of 29,490
Quote:
The Grado SR sound signature to my ears is the "wall of sound" with left/right separation.  Starting with last step up and the first before the RS line (325 and MS2), clarity, separation, and extension (bass & treble) all improved--but not at the expense of that "wall of sound" impact.  That balanced swings in the opposite direction with RS2i.

To my ears the 225 is most prominent in the upper mids.

Yeah, it turns out I'm not a huge fan of the "wall of sound" ideal of the Grados, but I do like forward/intimate vocals. Do you think that the ATH-AD900 will be better in this aspect? Or should I go up to the ATH-AD2000 or HE-400 (completely different sound signature, I know, but mainly I'm just looking for forward mids).

Jul 29, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #17,087 of 29,490
Quote:
Btw KG, are you aware of any fairly unknown headphone shops in Austin?  I know of Audio Systems for Grado, not sure what else they have.

Sorry I don't.  I usually get my tips from the other folks at our meet, including a number of vendors/equipment makers and smaller volume retailers who attend.

Jul 29, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #17,088 of 29,490
Quote:

Yeah, it turns out I'm not a huge fan of the "wall of sound" ideal of the Grados, but I do like forward/intimate vocals. Do you think that the ATH-AD900 will be better in this aspect? Or should I go up to the ATH-AD2000 or HE-400 (completely different sound signature, I know, but mainly I'm just looking for forward mids).

I have only heard the closed A900 and don't like it at all.  Technically it's not bad albeit a bit bass light.  My problem with it is that I hear it as soulless.

The D2000 is a great headphone for it price class--but not for mids.

I have the HE-500 and love it for everything.  I have not heard the 400, but understand, from what I have read, that it is darker.  It's supposed to be in the same general class as the HD 600/650 (which I have heard), but does not scale up as well.  Hopefully someone who has heard at it and one of classic Senns can fill you in from first hand experience.

Maybe you would like the open Sony MDR-MA900.  The now hard to find (and not cheap) Sony MDR-SA5000 is even better.

Jul 29, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #17,089 of 29,490
Hey guys, I was about to pick up a new pair of IEMs as my old ones are getting worn out. For the price and whatnot I really like the Vsonic GR06, however I just noticed its no longer available on amazon, and on vsonics main website they no longer list the gr06. They now have some r04 version. Any idea whats up? 

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #17,091 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, I was about to pick up a new pair of IEMs as my old ones are getting worn out. For the price and whatnot I really like the Vsonic GR06, however I just noticed its no longer available on amazon, and on vsonics main website they no longer list the gr06. They now have some r04 version. Any idea whats up? 

Wrong section of forum--this one covers full sized headphones.

Jul 29, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #17,092 of 29,490
I hope you guys can set me on the right track for choosing some great headphones, thanks in advance. I wrote this some time ago but didn't made a choice yet. I have worked on my headphone preference and did some more research into headphones by reading a lot on Head-fi. My budget is max 100 euros, let say like 100 dollar, but can be less of course. I have made a list but it's hard for me to make a choice and maybe I have overlooked some other great headphone choices. All your advice is welcome :wink:. The Audio Technica M50 for example is no option because it costs around 150 euros (185 dollar) here. I have put prices also in US dollars for more convenient comparison.

Music genres: Ambient, Trance, Chillout, Popular music and Classical (minimal like Philip Glass). Furthermore it will be used for Youtube and other sites alike, for movies and series.
Portable: No, I will use it most of the time with my laptop.
Price range: Preferably 100 euros max (see list a bit further). This is without an headphone AMP which may be an option in the future.
Closed/Open: Closed. Don't want to wake up others or burden them with my sounds. But I have heard that some open or I don't semi-open don't leak sound also.
Headphone preference: I need that bass for trance and ambient. But too bassy isn't good either I think.And I think I enjoy a warm sound. I once heard the Sennheiser HD598 and did like that kind of sound, but I didn't listen extensively to it.
Listening time: All day long. As said I use it with my laptop.
Comfort: Very important because the headphone will be on my head most of the day.
Headphone at this time: I have at this moment USB PC headphones (Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000).

- Philips Uptown (70 euro / 85 dollar)

- Creative Aurvana Live! (55 euro / 70 dollar)

- Sony XB500 (40 euro / 50 dollar)

- Panasonic RP-HTF600 (+ Beyerdynamic ear pads) (all together around 70 euro / 85 dollar)

- Sony ZX700 (75 euro / 90 dollar)

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #17,093 of 29,490
Greetings fellow headphone lovers!

I'm currently in a jam trying to figure out how whether to jump ship from Sennheiser for my next cans. I recently sold my HD25s, and am looking for something in that vein of sound but with deeper bass and more of it, a bigger soundstage, and better response to transients. Much of what I listen to is "fast" music, like EDM. Everyone seems to be raving about the Fostex orthos, but I'm concerned that the sound is too flat--even to the point of being anemic--and not comparable to the mighty Senns. Can you point me in the direction of truly great sound?

Music genres: EDM (House/Grime/Bass), Hip-Hop, Funk/Soul/Jazz, Vocal, Classical 
Price range: Under $300
Portable: Not necessarily
Closed/Open: Preferably open
Looks: Could look like Stax for all I care, but it shouldn't be too heavy as I will be using for extended periods
Miscellaneous: Accurate sound is important, analytical/neutral sound is preferred, has to have punchy bass, clear mids, highs not too harsh (much of the music will consist primarily of bass kicks and claps or high hats), amplification is expected 
Looking at: Fostex T50RP, AKG K702, K701, Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO, DT880, HD650, HD600
Had: Grado SR60 (not a big fan), Sennheiser HD 25-1 II (loved it)

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #17,094 of 29,490
Hi everyone,
After perusing through head-fi and numerous other sites, I've came up with a few choices for my FIRST closed full-sized headphone.
Firstly, I thought I could get headphones in the price range of about 80-100, [size=24pt]Shure SRH 440 $100 in Australia,[/size] Sennheisser HD 280 $104.
[size=11pt]Then I thought I'd go for cheaper models because I don't really have such a high standard.[/size] [size=11pt]Audiotechnica ATH T200[/size] or Senn HD201 about $30-40 JVC HA RX 700 for $30, Monoprice $25.
FInally, my mood swing to more decent choices coz I thought I'm gonna use them for a while. In the long run, a decent pair may be more cost-effective. Price has now changed to about 50-80. So options are  Creative Aurvana Live and Koss DJ100 for $50. Philips Citiscape $75 with its memory foam pad seems to be a great option for isolation, but the price is a bit high though. If I could get pretty good isolation with the JVC Rx700 and Koss DJ100, I would go for those.
I'm absolutely a novice and it's my first pair. I don't have any specific choice in terms of music. My priority is comfort and isolation (coz my housemates are a bit noisy). I've got an IEM Etymotics MC5 with comply foam tips but sometimes the cable rubs my ears, which is a bit uncomfortable.
Any suggestions in terms of models or opinions for a novice or websites/places in Australia to buy are much appreciated.
Thanks everyone for reading the post and offering your advice.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #17,095 of 29,490
Quote:

I have only heard the closed A900 and don't like it at all.  Technically it's not bad albeit a bit bass light.  My problem with it is that I hear it as soulless.

The D2000 is a great headphone for it price class--but not for mids.

I have the HE-500 and love it for everything.  I have not heard the 400, but understand, from what I have read, that it is darker.  It's supposed to be in the same general class as the HD 600/650 (which I have heard), but does not scale up as well.  Hopefully someone who has heard at it and one of classic Senns can fill you in from first hand experience.

Maybe you would like the open Sony MDR-MA900.  The now hard to find (and not cheap) Sony MDR-SA5000 is even better.

I was actually talking about the Audio Technica ATH-AD2000, not the Denons. Heard the ATs were amazing for mids. If the HE-400 is similar to the HD600s, then I think I'll pass on it. Seems like Audio Technica or the Sonys might be the way to go.

Jul 29, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #17,097 of 29,490
Quote:
I listen everything from Adelle to lil wayne

I`m thinking to get an E17 + 598 around my IPad and my ALAC files

I will make the right decision ?

Thanks 

Not sure if the iPad has a digital output for using the E17 DAC feature?
The Fiio E11 and Fiio L cable might be a better choice (and cheaper).

Jul 29, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #17,098 of 29,490
Hello :) This thread is looking like a mess (huge recommendation threads tend to not work) but Ill post anyways: Music genres: Hip-hop. Only thing I listen to. Price range: Technially I dont have one. Obviously Im not going to carry around 500 dollar headphones around with me either in a public/street enviroment. Portable: Yes. Without a question they have to be portable Closed/Open: Open. I perfer open as its more comfy than having your ears surrounded. I dont care if it leaks sounds as that doesnt affect me. Looks: Around the neck. I listen to a lot of music a lot of hours during the day. Miscellaneous: I like bass in my hip-hop and very loud volumes BUT the most important thing would be that the artist's voice (vocals) is completely clear and understandable. Also please comfortable as there are some around the neck that you have to "stretch" before your body gets use to them. Looking at: Sennheiser PMX 90, Siberia Neckband Headset Had: Grado iGrado, Sennheiser PMX 60 I want to order ASAP as I like being with music very much and Im going to be at least a week without it (no headphones) because of shipping

Jul 29, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #17,099 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi everyone,
After perusing through head-fi and numerous other sites, I've came up with a few choices for my FIRST closed full-sized headphone.
Firstly, I thought I could get headphones in the price range of about 80-100, [size=24pt]Shure SRH 440 $100 in Australia,[/size] Sennheisser HD 280 $104.
[size=11pt]Then I thought I'd go for cheaper models because I don't really have such a high standard.[/size] [size=11pt]Audiotechnica ATH T200[/size] or Senn HD201 about $30-40 JVC HA RX 700 for $30, Monoprice $25.
FInally, my mood swing to more decent choices coz I thought I'm gonna use them for a while. In the long run, a decent pair may be more cost-effective. Price has now changed to about 50-80. So options are  Creative Aurvana Live and Koss DJ100 for $50. Philips Citiscape $75 with its memory foam pad seems to be a great option for isolation, but the price is a bit high though. If I could get pretty good isolation with the JVC Rx700 and Koss DJ100, I would go for those.
I'm absolutely a novice and it's my first pair. I don't have any specific choice in terms of music. My priority is comfort and isolation (coz my housemates are a bit noisy). I've got an IEM Etymotics MC5 with comply foam tips but sometimes the cable rubs my ears, which is a bit uncomfortable.
Any suggestions in terms of models or opinions for a novice or websites/places in Australia to buy are much appreciated.
Thanks everyone for reading the post and offering your advice.

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

Jul 29, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #17,100 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello :) This thread is looking like a mess (huge recommendation threads tend to not work) but Ill post anyways: Music genres: Hip-hop. Only thing I listen to. Price range: Technially I dont have one. Obviously Im not going to carry around 500 dollar headphones around with me either in a public/street enviroment. Portable: Yes. Without a question they have to be portable Closed/Open: Open. I perfer open as its more comfy than having your ears surrounded. I dont care if it leaks sounds as that doesnt affect me. Looks: Around the neck. I listen to a lot of music a lot of hours during the day. Miscellaneous: I like bass in my hip-hop and very loud volumes BUT the most important thing would be that the artist's voice (vocals) is completely clear and understandable. Also please comfortable as there are some around the neck that you have to "stretch" before your body gets use to them. Looking at: Sennheiser PMX 90, Siberia Neckband Headset Had: Grado iGrado, Sennheiser PMX 60 I want to order ASAP as I like being with music very much and Im going to be at least a week without it (no headphones) because of shipping

I think you should look at the Pannasonic HTF600 with the Beyerdynamic DT250 velour earpads. The downside is that the cord is quite long, so you have to keep it wrapped up. It has great bass and after burn-in and a quick and easy mod or two, it sounds wonderful. Even after the velour pads the total cost is only around $50. check out this thread to read a bit more about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back