++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 20, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #15,631 of 29,490
Hey All, I'm looking for a set of headphones that I can use both indoors and in public, meaning that I need good sound isolation and for them to be over-ear phones.

I looked into the Sennheiser 558's and I'm almost ready to buy them, but then someone told me that they leak a lot of noise being open and all, which I don't want, and is a shame cause the 558's seem like great phones. I need at least the sound isolation of my current little Solo Beats

From a previous post, i've looked into some other headphones, but only from Sennheiser (not for any particular reason - im open to other companies)
So then, when it comes to closed headphones, how do my other finds compare? For ease of comparison, saying that the 558's were a 10, what would the 449's and 439's be? And the 380's? Or does anyone else have a suggestion for a different company and headphone altogether that would be better?

http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/produit/en/2876/43
http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/produit/en/2875/43
http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/produit/en/1241/13
http://v-moda.com/crossfade-lp/

Now I know that a lot of people apparently have been hating on the V-modas, as though they are the new Beats, however, this article gives me hope: http://www.head-fi.org/t/613371/vmoda-crossfade-lp-why-all-the-bad-reviews

My budget is a MAX of 300, and I listen to all genres of music, and I have a Creative Sound blaster card in my computer.

Any help would be appreciated, there's a lot of choices out there..

Jun 20, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #15,632 of 29,490
Quote:
If you do get a new A/V receiver, get a Yamaha, they have surround sound for headphones.
And will easily drive the 300-Ohm Sennheiser HD650.

Ah, Gonna look into that.

All my plans seems to get destroyed.

First I was like.. Yeah lets get HD650/akg 701/dts880 and just plug them into my onkyo A/V receiver but then I got to know onkyo aint that good for headphones.

Then my plans went into focus getting some good headphone amp and connect it with my A/V reciever. But just know I found out I dont have pre out on my onkyo sr607... And I really dont want to switch cables everytime I wanna listen to headphones.

And I noone of the stereo A/V recievers seems to have hdmi = I cant switch between ps3/computer/TV

EDIT: Read something about Fiio e9+e7, is this setup any good and does it go with usb cable between computer and Fiio e7? This maybe might be a cheap solutions as it costs only 192USD

Jun 20, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #15,633 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi First of all, I've had enough of headsets crappy output ( former Razer Megaldon user)

I am planning to get HD800. I seek advice from experienced users who have tried most of the setups that improve it's overall performance. Pardon my newbiness, but I'd like a simple answers that would get my HD800 rolling perfectly.

Little tips about my daily usage:
- Average music (pop, rock, classic & jazz)
- Gaming, using Skype/Ventrilo (willing to use an external mic)
- Movies of all kind
- Bass is candy!

I am honored to be a member here. I should've joined this website 10 years ago, when I started my audiophile passion.

Thanks in advance,
Em

Welcome--probably the folks over at the Summit-Fi section of the forum can best advise you.  You should repost there.

Jun 20, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #15,634 of 29,490
Quote:
@ KG Jag

Hmmm

Im curious, do normal amplifier generally not work that well with headphones? meaning.. you get best sound by getting a headphone specific amplifier?

Just thinking if it might be worth getting a new amplifier for my speakers which also work well with hd650/or some other in that price range.

OR just keep what I have and get an decent headphone-amplifier.

Most of the modern (especially A/V) receivers have cheaped out on their headphone section--switching resources into other features.  As PurpleAngel mentioned, many Yamaha receivers (including the entire Adventage line) have a good headphone section.  It will push your Senn.  However, in time you still may decide to upgrade a stand alone headphone amp.  I would go with the new receiver first, especially since you have other reasons to get one.  A number of folks use vintage receivers from the 70's and 80's to amp their headphones.  I'm old enough to still have a couple of those around.

Jun 20, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #15,635 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for some closed-back headphones I can plug straight into my MacBook (no amp) and use with Ableton and Logic for producing/mixing. I've got around £150-200 ($300ish) to spend.

I was seriously considering the Aiaiai TMA-1 Studios, but after reading reviews I think I just like the way they look.

I've read a lot of good stuff about the Audio-Technica M50's, but am I going to need an amp to get the best out of them? Are they suitable for listening to music from my iTunes?

Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Cheers!

The M50 is not a neutral  or even neutral-ish can.  So i don't see how they would work well for producing/mixing.  In addition to the KRK mentioned the Shure SRH 840, which will run out of an iPhone, is a good choice.

Jun 20, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #15,636 of 29,490
Quote:

Most of the modern (especially A/V) receivers have cheaped out on their headphone section--switching resources into other features.  As PurpleAngel mentioned, many Yamaha receivers (including the entire Adventage line) have a good headphone section.  It will push your Senn.  However, in time you still may decide to upgrade a stand alone headphone amp.  I would go with the new receiver first, especially since you have other reasons to get one.  A number of folks use vintage receivers from the 70's and 80's to amp their headphones.  I'm old enough to still have a couple of those around.

Okok, Been reading all day about this scene :)

As I get it, it works fine connecting computer > USB cable > amp/dac, which gives a digital signal.

Anyhow, if it works this way I can just buy a heaphone specific amp and connect it through USB. And Still have my Onkyo SR607 connected through the digital output on my comp.

Smart solution or not? :)

Jun 20, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #15,637 of 29,490
Quote:
Okok, Been reading all day about this scene :)

As I get it, it works fine connecting computer > USB cable > amp/dac, which gives a digital signal.

Anyhow, if it works this way I can just buy a heaphone specific amp and connect it through USB. And Still have my Onkyo SR607 connected through the digital output on my comp.

Smart solution or not? :)

That should work.  Although I'm not sure if you will have to tweak your software and/or use it as a switch between the receiver path and the the amp/dac.  That said, I don't use my computer as my main music source.

Jun 20, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #15,638 of 29,490
Quote:
That should work.  Although I'm not sure if you will have to tweak your software and/or use it as a switch between the receiver path and the the amp/dac.  That said, I don't use my computer as my main music source.

True didnt think about that, probably will have to disable the one I dont want do use.
But just now im curios.. This is my A/V. http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/onkyo-tx-sr607-dolby-prologic-iiz/image

Since I dont have pre out, cant I just use like "zone 2" "line out" ?

Jun 20, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #15,639 of 29,490
Quote:
True didnt think about that, probably will have to disable the one I dont want do use.
But just now im curios.. This is my A/V. http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/onkyo-tx-sr607-dolby-prologic-iiz/image

That's a powered output--be careful!  In Europe it's at least double powered!!

I've heard (put have not yet tried) that the place to connect the headphone amp is through the tape monitor out RCA connectors.

Jun 20, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #15,640 of 29,490
Quote:

If you have a sound card like the Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card.
The DX or D1 can send headphone surround sound to the Onkyo
You can run optical from the sound card to the Onkyo receiver.
So when you plug your headphones into the Onkyo you should get Dolby Virtual Headphone (Surround sound).
Just have to make sure the Onkyo is set for 2-channel (stereo) audio
I know you can do it with the Xonar STX, I just "assuming" the DX & D1 can do it to.

Jun 20, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #15,641 of 29,490
Quote:
If you have a sound card like the Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card.
The DX or D1 can send headphone surround sound to the Onkyo
You can run optical from the sound card to the Onkyo receiver.
So when you plug your headphones into the Onkyo you should get Dolby Virtual Headphone (Surround sound).
Just have to make sure the Onkyo is set for 2-channel (stereo) audio
I know you can do it with the Xonar STX, I just "assuming" the DX & D1 can do it to.

Yeah well the reason why I dont want to plug into Onkyo is because people say most A/V recievers especielly onkyo is useless driving headphones like HD650.

Now Im using optical on the motherboard > Onkyo SR607.

So it's either getting some amp and plug it into USB on the computer
OR
Try what people say and buy an amp and plug it TV/TAPE out.

Jun 20, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #15,642 of 29,490
New member/user here!

I'm in the market for headphones in the range of $100 to $150(I can go over if the headphones are that good). I've tried every single high end pair of cans that I possibly can right now, but haven't gotten to try any of the ones that I'm actually interested.

I will use these for a mix of gaming, movies, music, and Skype calls (possibly multiple at once). But I would like the music to be particularly strong and kick ass over the other aspects. I listen to Electronic of all types, Rock(Alternative and Classic), Hip-Hop/Rap, and Just about some of everything else. I am a pretty big fan of lows/bass but sharp highs can really kill headphones for me. Comfort is a huge thing because I will be using these in front of my computer throughout the day as well as in my bed late at night.

So far I've heard the:
Bose AE2
Sony MDR 7506
Grados SR 60/125
Beats Solo (Yuck)

I'm not very fond of any of these even though they do have a very nice sound to each.

The models that I am actually looking into include:
Audio-Technica ATH m50
Audio Technica ATH a700x/ad700
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80
And possibly the Denon D1100/D2000.

If anyone has experience with any of these or has other recommendations, I would love to hear them no matter what. 

Jun 20, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #15,643 of 29,490
Quote:
New member/user here!

I'm in the market for headphones in the range of $100 to $150(I can go over if the headphones are that good). I've tried every single high end pair of cans that I possibly can right now, but haven't gotten to try any of the ones that I'm actually interested.

I will use these for a mix of gaming, movies, music, and Skype calls (possibly multiple at once). But I would like the music to be particularly strong and kick ass over the other aspects. I listen to Electronic of all types, Rock(Alternative and Classic), Hip-Hop/Rap, and Just about some of everything else. I am a pretty big fan of lows/bass but sharp highs can really kill headphones for me. Comfort is a huge thing because I will be using these in front of my computer throughout the day as well as in my bed late at night.

So far I've heard the:
Bose AE2
Sony MDR 7506
Grados SR 60/125
Beats Solo (Yuck)

I'm not very fond of any of these even though they do have a very nice sound to each.

The models that I am actually looking into include:
Audio-Technica ATH m50
Audio Technica ATH a700x/ad700
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80
And possibly the Denon D1100/D2000.

If anyone has experience with any of these or has other recommendations, I would love to hear them no matter what. 

Out of what will you be playing your new cans?  Are you OK with the leakage that comes open cans?

Jun 20, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #15,644 of 29,490
Quote:

Out of what will you be playing your new cans?  Are you OK with the leakage that comes open cans?

I have 3 main sources:
iPod Nano 3rd Gen (Looking for upgrade in the future)
My phone (Motorola Atrix 4G)
and my Computer (Sound coming from onboard audio)

I would not be opposed to getting an amp in the future as well to power the DT770's as I've heard it really is needed. I was thinking something like the FiiO e7 or e11.

I would be ok with open headphones as long as the leakage isn't too bad. I would by far prefer closed headphones with decent isolation.

Jun 20, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #15,645 of 29,490
Quote:

The D2000 and DT 770 Pro (I would go with the 250 Ohm version + amp) are the best two cans on your list.  Other than the two 700's, which are certainly bass lite by your standards, all the cans on your list have a "V" shaped EQ.  The M50 has the advantage for portable use.  It would be very difficult to use the D2000 as a portable can and the DT is far from ideal as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back