++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 20, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #15,616 of 29,490
Hi!

Mostly been using my Onkyo TX-SR607 with Monitor Audio BX2 speakers for music/movies, and I love listening to music with this setup.
But as i've had complaints about the soundlevel at evenings Im thinking about getting some good headphones which works well with my reciever I already have, onkyo SR607.

My price range is around $430, that's what HD650 costs here in Sweden.

I listen to lots of different genres..

post-rock
ambient
instrumental
chillwave
dubstep (not wobble wobble skrillex)
contemprorary classical
soul
dream pop
shoegaze

well, lets just say... I never listen to hardrock,

Here's my scrobble list on last.fm http://www.last.fm/user/daizoe/charts?rangetype=overall&subtype=artists

So what alternatives do I have? HD650 seems to be a safe choice but dunno.. :)

Would be awesome with some help!

Jun 20, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #15,618 of 29,490
@ forell88

I've had bad experiences with Onkyo A/V receivers trying to power even moderatley difficult to drive headphones.  I don't know your individual receiver, but based on where it falls in the Onkyo line, I'd bet it won't propely power the HD 650.

Your genres aren't mine, so the best I can do for now its to point you to the the first post of this thread.  There you will find links to two buying guides.  Go to them and look for cans rated a "1".  I can't even tell you to go up to a "2" because I had trouble with the Ultrasone Pro 750 losing its bottom end when driven from an Onkyo A/V receiver--and it is rated a "2".  Off course not all cans are listed in the guides. 

Beyond the "1" list, you should be safe with Grados, Alessandros and Sonys.  Since my iPhone does at a least a fair job with the Koss ProDJ100 and (even better) with the Shure SRH 840 (which is rated both as a "1' & "2" in the guides).  Those are probably OK too.  The Denon D2000 through D7000 will be at least OK out of your receiver.

Jun 20, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #15,619 of 29,490
Hi First of all, I've had enough of headsets crappy output ( former Razer Megaldon user)

I am planning to get HD800. I seek advice from experienced users who have tried most of the setups that improve it's overall performance. Pardon my newbiness, but I'd like a simple answers that would get my HD800 rolling perfectly.

Little tips about my daily usage:
- Average music (pop, rock, classic & jazz)
- Gaming, using Skype/Ventrilo (willing to use an external mic)
- Movies of all kind
- Bass is candy!

I am honored to be a member here. I should've joined this website 10 years ago, when I started my audiophile passion.

Thanks in advance,
Em

Jun 20, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #15,620 of 29,490
I got very good results with the HD800 out of the modestly priced Schiit Bifrost/Lyr combo. With the right tubes in the Lyr I got a glimpse of how capable this headphone is. It requires careful component matching to get the most out of (something that may end up being a greater expense than anticipated). That's why I no longer have the Lyr and will soon be moving the Bifrost on, despite how well they perform. The HD800 deserves better and I know I'll be rewarded when I get it right.

The HD800 has precise imaging and a spacious soundstage, making it great for movies. In terms of music, I don't find it weak for any genre in particular, but this will boil down to preference. You should really try to audition rather than relying on impressions online.

Jun 20, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #15,621 of 29,490
Quote:
I got very good results with the HD800 out of the modestly priced Schiit Bifrost/Lyr combo. With the right tubes in the Lyr I got a glimpse of how capable this headphone is. It requires careful component matching to get the most out of (something that may end up being a greater expense than anticipated). That's why I no longer have the Lyr and will soon be moving the Bifrost on, despite how well they perform. The HD800 deserves better and I know I'll be rewarded when I get it right.

The HD800 has precise imaging and a spacious soundstage, making it great for movies. In terms of music, I don't find it weak for any genre in particular, but this will boil down to preference. You should really try to audition rather than relying on impressions online.

Thanks for your quick reply olor1n.

Unfortunately, I live in Asia, and we don't have such places for auditing headphones. There is no shop that sells the HD800 even. That's why I am ordering the headphone to be shipped here. As well as I will be looking forward purchasing a setup online.

But first, I am seeking advice for the perfect combination (amps/DAC/cables) to run this monster perfectly. For now, I will be plugging it to Creative Xi-Fi blaster.

Jun 20, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #15,622 of 29,490
Looking for some headphone advice
which would be the better purchase, new Alessandro MS2 or second hand Grado RS1?
will be used with cowon s9 and Fiio E6 with lossless MP3.
Also used for listening to the TV at night when the little ones asleep and for guitar practice from a Line6 Pod2.
Mostly listen to Rock and Indie music, but will listen to most stuff as long as its not classical music :wink:

Nathan

Jun 20, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #15,623 of 29,490
@Emerald Core

What's your budget? Your preferred sound? Why the HD800?

I can't really recommend any other components other than the one I've heard the HD800 on. I've owned some Audio-GD stuff in the past and while they were good for other headphones I've owned I doubt they'd be a great match for the HD800. Perhaps to get you started I can list some of the components I'm looking to upgrade to -

dacs
  1. NAD M51
  2. Schiit Gungnir

amps
  1. Eddie Current S7
  1. Woo Audio WA2
  2. Schiit Mjolnir
  3. Violectric V200
  4. DNA Sonett

If your budget is more generous than mine you may want to ask around in the Summit-Fi section.

Jun 20, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #15,624 of 29,490
Quote:
@Emerald Core

What's your budget? Your preferred sound? Why the HD800?

I can't really recommend any other components other than the one I've heard the HD800 on. I've owned some Audio-GD stuff in the past and while they were good for other headphones I've owned I doubt they'd be a great match for the HD800. Perhaps to get you started I can list some of the components I'm looking to upgrade to -

dacs
  1. NAD M51
  2. Schiit Gungnir

amps
  1. Eddie Current S7
  1. Woo Audio WA2
  2. Schiit Mjolnir
  3. Violectric V200
  4. DNA Sonett

If your budget is more generous than mine you may want to ask around in the Summit-Fi section.

- I am planning to put up 2k for both Headphone and its gears.
- I enjoy detailed yet deep sounds.
- They cover most of my music/gaming/movie needs

I already know about the LCD-2s. But they don't do all the job rock/gaming-wise.

DACS:
I will look for what you suggested

Amps:
I received decent feedbacks of the DNA Sonett. That will be my choice for sure.

Any advice on the cabling? And PC to Headphone setup ?

I will thankful If you can explain how Amps and DACs are used to produce better sound on headphones like HD800.

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #15,625 of 29,490
@ KG Jag

Hmmm

Im curious, do normal amplifier generally not work that well with headphones? meaning.. you get best sound by getting a headphone specific amplifier?

Just thinking if it might be worth getting a new amplifier for my speakers which also work well with hd650/or some other in that price range.

OR just keep what I have and get an decent headphone-amplifier.

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #15,626 of 29,490
Quote:
@ KG Jag

Hmmm

Im curious, do normal amplifier generally not work that well with headphones? meaning.. you get best sound by getting a headphone specific amplifier?

Just thinking if it might be worth getting a new amplifier for my speakers which also work well with hd650/or some other in that price range.

OR just keep what I have and get an decent headphone-amplifier.

If you do get a new A/V receiver, get a Yamaha, they have surround sound for headphones.
And will easily drive the 300-Ohm Sennheiser HD650.

Jun 20, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #15,627 of 29,490
I'm looking for some closed-back headphones I can plug straight into my MacBook (no amp) and use with Ableton and Logic for producing/mixing. I've got around £150-200 ($300ish) to spend.

I was seriously considering the Aiaiai TMA-1 Studios, but after reading reviews I think I just like the way they look.

I've read a lot of good stuff about the Audio-Technica M50's, but am I going to need an amp to get the best out of them? Are they suitable for listening to music from my iTunes?

Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Cheers!

Jun 20, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #15,628 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for some closed-back headphones I can plug straight into my MacBook (no amp) and use with Ableton and Logic for producing/mixing. I've got around £150-200 ($300ish) to spend.

I was seriously considering the Aiaiai TMA-1 Studios, but after reading reviews I think I just like the way they look.

I've read a lot of good stuff about the Audio-Technica M50's, but am I going to need an amp to get the best out of them? Are they suitable for listening to music from my iTunes?

Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Cheers!

I've heard the KRK KNS 8400 are better for producing & mixing.
and only 32-Ohm.

Jun 20, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #15,630 of 29,490
Quote:
I've heard the KRK KNS 8400 are better for producing & mixing.
and only 32-Ohm.

Thanks. Just had a look through some reviews and they seems pretty good. Although, I did find this in a review on here:

Quote:
You can hear artifacts or accidental noises in the studio or concert hall. If your tracks have some hiss, it will be very apparent. Older tunes(e.g. vinyl rips) may become impossible to listen to.

I sample a lot of old vinyl, so maybe these aren't such a good shout?
Can any owners vouch for them? Anyone recommend anything else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back