++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 19, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #15,601 of 29,490
Quote:
Noise cancellation is entirely different.
Noise cancelling means that they have an electronic circuit to remove noise, this is usually achieved by recording the sound outside the headphones and then 'subtracting' it from the sound output by the speaker, the effect is that your brain cancels out any outside noise (this is an oversimplified explanation).

Noise isolation on the other hand is what we are talking about, noise isolation refers to being isolated or separated from the noise. Think of holding two pillows over your ears.

Closed back (noise isolating) means that you have a piece of plastic (or metal, or wood, or ...) between the speakers and the outside world.
Open back means this piece is either removed entirely or has a bunch of holes punched into it so sound can generally travel both ways.

The beats are closed backs.
Fully open back cans (like grados) leak a lot of sound to the outside world (as well as let a lot of sound in).

Yes, I am aware of the science behind noise cancellation, and you're right, I was referring to Isolation. This is unfortunate though, because the 558's looked like a great pair of headphones.

So then, when it comes to closed headphones, how do my other finds compare? For ease of comparison, saying that the 558's were a 10, what would the 449's and 439's be? And the 380's? Or does anyone else have a suggestion for a different company and headphone altogether that would be better?

http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/produit/en/2876/43
http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/produit/en/2875/43
http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/produit/en/1241/13
http://v-moda.com/crossfade-lp/

Jun 19, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #15,602 of 29,490
Hello there!!

A couple weeks ago I attended an electronic music festival. EDC 2012. So my question is, to  anyone that been has been to like EDM club concert or festival, is there such headphones that can replicate that powerful, in your face sound? 

I'm an IEM type of guy. And I owned various types of IEMs, like the IE80. All amped with my Fiio E10. 

So now I'm looking into purchasing my first pair high-end headphones because IEMs can never achieve that 'speaker' sound. I was wondering which headphones would be best for me? Pro900s or the Denon D2000? (maybe even the D5000)

I was also debating whether I should get Auras Bass Shakers to compliment my headphones. Or should I buy OPEN headphones and purchase a sub-woofer instead? 

Thanks in advance.

Jun 19, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #15,603 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello there!!

A couple weeks ago I attended an electronic music festival. EDC 2012. So my question is, to  anyone that been has been to like EDM club concert or festival, is there such headphones that can replicate that powerful, in your face sound? 

I'm an IEM type of guy. And I owned various types of IEMs, like the IE80. All amped with my Fiio E10. 

So now I'm looking into purchasing my first pair high-end headphones because IEMs can never achieve that 'speaker' sound. I was wondering which headphones would be best for me? Pro900s or the Denon D2000? (maybe even the D5000)

I was also debating whether I should get Auras Bass Shakers to compliment my headphones. Or should I buy OPEN headphones and purchase a sub-woofer instead? 

Thanks in advance.

If you're a basshead who also appreciates the rest of the spectrum, the D2000 is a good place to start--as is the more expensive D5000.  However, move fast as they are both being discontinued.

Jun 19, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #15,604 of 29,490
Hi every body :D
I want to buy a new headphone & i never have one before
i mostly listen to rap , hip hop , jazz & COUNTRY songs . 
i will use it on my pc and my samsung galaxy s2 mobile .
and my budget is from $250 to $300
i was thinking to get beats mixr or v-moda crossfade v 80 ?!!! is it a good choice or there is somthing better ??
thank you ^_^

Jun 19, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #15,605 of 29,490
Hi uys. I am looking for a last-minute advice for a birthday gift (to myself, lol). 
I am looking to spend around $300-400. 
I listen to various types of music but mostly prefer hip-hop/house/r&b
I used to have Studio Beats by Dre and I sort of liked them (I liked the bass but know that I was missing a lot) - I also didn't particularly like that people around me could hear what I was listening to. 
Looks are not too important (usually subjective anyways) but durability would play a role since I use headphones usually for traveling (primarily on the plane/train). Which also means that I probably won't be using any kind of amps in the near future. 
As far as the source - its just usually mp3s on my ipod/iphone and my macbookpro.

The bottom line is that I am looking for a good set of headphones. I am not a audiophile but would like to start using some decent headphones and maybe see if I can start appreciating the quality. 
So, if you were to spend $300-400 - what sets would you be looking at? If you can - please suggest a couple and maybe I can narrow it down. 

I started looking around and saw V-Moda LP2. I like the idea of them being durable and strong but know nothing about the sound quality (something tells me they are similar to Beats) 

Thanks for any suggestion. 

Jun 19, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #15,606 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi every body :D
I want to buy a new headphone & i never have one before
i mostly listen to rap , hip hop , jazz & COUNTRY songs . 
i will use it on my pc and my samsung galaxy s2 mobile .
and my budget is from $250 to $300
i was thinking to get beats mixr or v-moda crossfade v 80 ?!!! is it a good choice or there is somthing better ??
thank you ^_^

Welcome to the forums,

Keep in mind that both Beats and V-moda are brands that are dedicated to looks more than sound quality. I've experienced beats first hand and I want to do everything I can to persuade you away from them, they're garbage for the price you pay. With companies like that, you're just paying for the brand name and looks. I'm new on the forums so I'm just starting to learn, but it seems like there's a few brands everyone is recommending. Sennheiser, Denon, Audio Technica, and a few others.

A model that I was just recently looking at received some good feedback from everyone here, it's the Sennheiser HD 558

Jun 19, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #15,608 of 29,490
Hello all I am new to the community and have been lurking for a few months. In my search for headphones I stumbled upon this kickstarter project and became really interested mainly because I think they look fantastic, but also because I listen to quite a lot of rock and alternative music. From the research I have done they are from the same people that made the fanny Wang headphones, but I really just don't have enough knowledge to know if these will turn out to be worth the money. Thanks for any tips.

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #15,609 of 29,490
Quote:
I hear that 558s are a little flat on the bass side .. is that true? 

The 558 is an excellent open can that has bass, but not for bass heads or even bass heads lite.  An easy to drive can that has more bass, but not just bass, is the Ultrasone HiFi 780.  Bassheads that aren't looking for that level of balance tend to like the Ultrasone 500 series.

I have only heard the V-Moda Crossfade LP and was fairly impressed with its sound for a lifestyle can--and even in general for the less than $100 I paid for it.  Based on what others have said the 80 supposed to be at least a notch or two better.  Both come with lots of extras.

Jun 20, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #15,611 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for a set of headphones for my ipod. I will be using them mainly in the train so they have to be able to survive a backpack.
Currently I'm doubting between the AKG K518 ,Philips SHL9560 and the Sennheiser PX 200 II.
Music taste is very wide so no help with that although it's probably overall not very much bass.
So which of these is better or are there other widely available better alternatives around the same price.

Quote:

Where do you live?  Widely available varies greatly from country to country--as can price.

I live in the Netherlands, known brands here are sennheiser, akg, bose, sony, philips, jvc, pioneer, skullcandy etc.

Jun 20, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #15,612 of 29,490
Quote:

I live in the Netherlands, known brands here are sennheiser, akg, bose, sony, philips, jvc, pioneer, skullcandy etc.

I'd go with the Sony MDR-7510 or Sony MDRZX700.  In addition to good, balanced sound; they isolate well; are comfortable; and are more durable.  In the U.S. they are in the same general price range of the cans you listed.

Jun 20, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #15,613 of 29,490
Hey, I'm looking for my 4th pair of head/earphones. I currently have a pair of Shure se110's for listening to spotify on my Galaxy Nexus phone, a pair of ATH-M50's when I'm trying to crank the music up or when I'm out in public, and a pair of Alessandro MS-1i's for most everything else. My favorite pair? The Alessandro MS-1i. Would love to find a pair with a bit more bass.

Music: I listen to anything and everything (country, classical, hip hop, trance, rock, etc etc). I like bass but I don't want it to overshadow the mids or highs (but if it comes down to it I'd much rather have  Bitrate of all my music is either 320kbps or FLAC.

I will be using them to watch movies with as well (mainly action and comedy). I also play video games like Battlefield 3 or Diablo but I'm not too concerned about that aspect but I would prefer a large soundstage with them. It will be hooked up to my Xonar STX.

In short: tight bass, clean mids, and detailed highs with large soundstage for less than $300.

Thanks!

Jun 20, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #15,614 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey, I'm looking for my 4th pair of head/earphones. I currently have a pair of Shure se110's for listening to spotify on my Galaxy Nexus phone, a pair of ATH-M50's when I'm trying to crank the music up or when I'm out in public, and a pair of Alessandro MS-1i's for most everything else. My favorite pair? The Alessandro MS-1i. Would love to find a pair with a bit more bass.

Music: I listen to anything and everything (country, classical, hip hop, trance, rock, etc etc). I like bass but I don't want it to overshadow the mids or highs (but if it comes down to it I'd much rather have  Bitrate of all my music is either 320kbps or FLAC.

I will be using them to watch movies with as well (mainly action and comedy). I also play video games like Battlefield 3 or Diablo but I'm not too concerned about that aspect but I would prefer a large soundstage with them. It will be hooked up to my Xonar STX.

In short: tight bass, clean mids, and detailed highs with large soundstage for less than $300.

Thanks!

Beyer DT 880 Pro--although I don't know which Ohm versions, if any, will play well directly from your computer.

Jun 20, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #15,615 of 29,490
Quote:

I'd go with the Sony MDR-7510 or Sony MDRZX700.  In addition to good, balanced sound; they isolate well; are comfortable; and are more durable.  In the U.S. they are in the same general price range of the cans you listed.

The 7510 is around twice as expensive her, but I will have a look at the MDRXZX700, thanks for the recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back