++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 21, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #15,661 of 29,490
Quote:
Realtek integrated sound card. But from what I know it doesn't matter what sound card you have as long as you use optical.

But as I do have a Onkyo SR607 A/V receiever, is the DAC inside Onkyo any good? meaning I will only need to invest in a headphone amp.. like Fiio E9 or something - if that will make it sound much better.

Though I don't have my hd650 so I can't really try how it work directly into Onkyo, but lots of people seem to say it ain't good enough.

Have you gone to the websites AVforum or AVSforum, found the subsection on the Onkyo 607 and post the question about if the Onkyo 607 can decently drive Sennheiser HD650 300-Ohm headphones?
I've heard DACs that come in modern A/V receivers are barely decent (very low cost decent?).
For the amount of money your spending on a headphones, most people would have spend at least $150- $200 for a DAC & headphone amplifier to drive them.

Jun 21, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #15,662 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,
I need some help buying new full size headphones as my last attempt to do it on my own did not go so well. I bought the AD700 but they were much too random in how they sounded on different songs. Some sounded excellent, others sounded like total garbage. So now I'm selling them and looking for headphones that are as comfortable (The AD700's were the first full size headphones I could handle wearing for more than a half hour) but sound better. I listen to a wide range of music but I'd like the headphones to be able to handle classic rock like Pink Floyd, Prog rock such as Dream Theater, and some electronic like Infected Mushroom. My ears are also pretty sensitive to treble if that's helpful. Budget is $100 - $250 but less is more ideal so I can have more money towards an amp (currently running headphones through my Sherwood Rx-4105 receivers headphone jack). I have no issue with buying used. Thanks!

Sennheiser HD558 (50-Ohm).

Jun 21, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #15,664 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all i need some advice for my first headphone setup. I want to have a system that is good for gaming and also for music listening. My budget is around 800€ and my sources are windows laptop and sony walkman z. I prefer to have DAC/amp combo, what i have in mind right now is the Yulong D100.

As for the headphones, i want an open can and  based on the gaming hp guide thread i am considering to go with AKG Q701 or the ultrasone pro 2900. I listened to all genre besides heavy metal, my fav band/singer are: Radiohead, Coldplay, John Mayer, Jason Mraz  and sometimes i listened to J-rock too.

If you want clarity, detail sound stage  and backed off sound get the Q701.

If you want big bass and slam go for the Ultrasone.

Jun 21, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #15,665 of 29,490
Quote:
Have you gone to the websites AVforum or AVSforum, found the subsection on the Onkyo 607 and post the question about if the Onkyo 607 can decently drive Sennheiser HD650 300-Ohm headphones?
I've heard DACs that come in modern A/V receivers are barely decent (very low cost decent?).
For the amount of money your spending on a headphones, most people would have spend at least $150- $200 for a DAC & headphone amplifier to drive them.

I've tried my best finding information about that but without success. But I dont think I just want the onkyo do decently drive HD650 if I get them. If I get them I want it to sound awesome. I dont mind putting like around 400USD if getting a amp/dac REALLY MAKES A DIFFERENCE :) Thing is most of the awesome amps ive read about like bottlehead, beta 22 etc isnt really avaible in sweden.

Jun 21, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #15,666 of 29,490
Quote:
I've tried my best finding information about that but without success. But I dont think I just want the onkyo do decently drive HD650 if I get them. If I get them I want it to sound awesome. I dont mind putting like around 400USD if getting a amp/dac REALLY MAKES A DIFFERENCE :) Thing is most of the awesome amps ive read about like bottlehead, beta 22 etc isnt really avaible in sweden.

I'd work on buying used from the forums. Many people on headfi are willing to ship internationally. Many will help you too with warranty support if you ever need it. 

Jun 21, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #15,667 of 29,490
Hey All, I'm looking for a set of headphones that I can use both indoors and in public, meaning that I need good sound isolation and for them to be over-ear phones.

I looked into the Sennheiser 558's and I'm almost ready to buy them, but then someone told me that they leak a lot of noise being open and all, which I don't want, and is a shame cause the 558's seem like great phones. I need at least the sound isolation of my current little Solo Beats

From a previous post, i've looked into some other headphones, but only from Sennheiser (not for any particular reason - im open to other companies)
So then, when it comes to closed headphones, how do my other finds compare? For ease of comparison, saying that the 558's were a 10, what would the 449's and 439's be? And the 380's? Or does anyone else have a suggestion for a different company and headphone altogether that would be better?

http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/produit/en/2876/43
http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/produit/en/2875/43
http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/produit/en/1241/13
http://v-moda.com/crossfade-lp/

Now I know that a lot of people apparently have been hating on the V-modas, as though they are the new Beats, however, this article gives me hope: http://www.head-fi.org/t/613371/vmoda-crossfade-lp-why-all-the-bad-reviews

My budget is a MAX of 300, and I listen to all genres of music, and I have a Creative Sound blaster card in my computer.

Any help would be appreciated, there's a lot of choices out there..

Jun 21, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #15,668 of 29,490
Quote:
I've tried my best finding information about that but without success. But I don't think I just want the Onkyo do decently drive HD650 if I get them. If I get them I want it to sound awesome. I don't mind putting like around 400USD if getting a amp/dac REALLY MAKES A DIFFERENCE :) Thing is most of the awesome amps I've read about like Bottlehead, beta 22 etc isn't really available in Sweden.

If you have an eBay account.

DAC options
A used Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card (US $55), come with a fairly decent DAC and Dolby Virtual Headphone.
DAC Destroyer, USB DAC, sells on eBay, ships from Canada. (US $55)
Muse DA20 USB DAC, eBay, ships from China, $50
SMSL SD-793, Coaxial & Optical DAC, eBay (China), $60

Amplifiers
SMSL SAP-100 solid state amplifier $65, ebay China
Single tube headphone amplifier sells on eBay (China) $60-$120.
Fiio E9, $120

Settle for a lesser headphone, Sennheiser HD598 (50-Ohm), should be easy for the 607 to drive.

Jun 21, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #15,669 of 29,490
Quote:
If you have an eBay account.

DAC options
A used Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card (US $55), come with a fairly decent DAC and Dolby Virtual Headphone.
DAC Destroyer, USB DAC, sells on eBay, ships from Canada. (US $55)
Muse DA20 USB DAC, eBay, ships from China, $50
SMSL SD-793, Coaxial & Optical DAC, eBay (China), $60

Amplifiers
SMSL SAP-100 solid state amplifier $65, ebay China
Single tube headphone amplifier sells on eBay (China) $60-$120.
Fiio E9, $120

Settle for a lesser headphone, Sennheiser HD598 (50-Ohm), should be easy for the 607 to drive.

Gonna look into those. But I dont really get why I should get a DAC.

Maybe im understand things wrong but..

If I it will look like this: computer sound optical out > onkyo > TV/TAPE out > AMP > Headphones.

Cause as I've understood the DAC on onkyo is the same for headphones and speakers. Aswell as it is supposed to be quite a good DAC.

And it is the integrated amp for headphone socked which needs a boost.

With your saying your meaning a cheap DAC for 50$ is better than the 500$ Onkyo sr607?

Sorry, but I just want to make things superclear before I buy stuffs, also its fun learning how things works :)

Jun 21, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #15,671 of 29,490
Thilly, that's interesting that you say that. I mean, in theory, wouldn't just adding a piece of circular plastic to the outside of the phones be enough? I mean wouldn't that essentially make them "closed"? Or is there some technological difference?

Jun 21, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #15,673 of 29,490
Quote:
Gonna look into those. But I dont really get why I should get a DAC.
Maybe I'm understand things wrong but..
If I it will look like this: computer sound optical out > Onkyo > TV/TAPE out > AMP > Headphones.
Cause as I've understood the DAC on Onkyo is the same for headphones and speakers. Aswell as it is supposed to be quite a good DAC.
And it is the integrated amp for headphone socked which needs a boost.
With your saying your meaning a cheap DAC for 50$ is better than the 500$ Onkyo sr607?
Sorry, but I just want to make things superclear before I buy stuffs, also its fun learning how things works :)

I talk about adding the DAC because some people have problems hooking an external headphone amplifier up to the RCA outputs on their receiver (not sure why).
And you did say you wanted the headphones to sound "awesome", the $65 external DAC should have a DAC chip that is better then the Onkyo's.
Receivers are going to come with the cheapest DACs that do the job.
I'm not anti-Onkyo, I've owned three of their receivers in the past 4 years.
I like sound cards(Xonars) because they offer Dolby Virtual headphone surround sound for movies and some games

I'm all for you first trying the HD650 straight into the Onkyos headphone jack (why not).
And I'm sure most decent aftermarket headphone amplifiers are better at driving the HD650 then the Onkyo.
Just trying to list all your possible options and understand them before spending all that money on the Sennheiser HD650s

Jun 21, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #15,674 of 29,490
Quote:
Thilly, that's interesting that you say that. I mean, in theory, wouldn't just adding a piece of circular plastic to the outside of the phones be enough? I mean wouldn't that essentially make them "closed"? Or is there some technological difference?

If the headphone was tuned to be open and you make it closed it can sound horrible, for example with my grados if you cover the outside with your hands the sound goes thin and tinny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back