++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 19, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #14,821 of 29,490
hi all, this my first post since i'm a silent reader in this forum, i want to ask if i want to upgrade my cans which is goldring dr100 then which one should i take? the alessandro ms1i or the older brother goldring dr150?, honestly i've never audition the alessandro ms1i nor the goldring dr150, i expected that the ms1i or the dr150 have the similarity with the dr100 but in a very upgraded sound quality kind of way, i love the brigthness of goldring dr100 since i listen to rock music all the time.. thanks
gs1000.gif

May 19, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #14,822 of 29,490
Hello everyone, I've been on this forum before, but I'm looking to upgrade

I currently have a pair of ath es7, but I really want a pair of circumaural headphones

I listen to rap/hip hop and metal

I've done some research and have narrowed it down to 
Ath m50
Srh840
Denon d1100

I'm open to any suggestions though, but my budget is around $150

I'm going to use them on car trips and school so some portability would be great

May 19, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #14,825 of 29,490
Hi, I am wondering if anyone could give me some advice on which headphone are best for listening to music.

I plan on using these at home only. I listen to a lot of music, mostly rock and 60s/70s music. I have a budget of 100-300 euro which is about 120-380 $.  

Also, I would like to use these headphones on my HTC but im not sure if that reduces the quality of the music.

Thanks.

May 19, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #14,826 of 29,490
Quote:
I've been researching myself into a coma. That said I keep coming back to the AKG-550 the most. My hold-backs are that even though they'll lay flat, they're not really suited to travel. Granted I'll be using them at home mostly, but would like to take them on vacation, long car rides and occasional business travel. The cord is sooooo long but I hear that can be shortened. And lastly, the cups look like they are huge. I don't have a watermelon sized head and even though it's superficial, I'd prefer not to look like Princess Leah grooving to tunes.

Other cans considered have been Ultrasone pro900, Denon D2000

I hear mixed things about the 900's and the Denon are definitely a home bound can.

I have no way of listening to any of these other than ordering from Amazon and returning what I don't want but I'd prefer not to go through that if possible. Do you think these choices will be a world of difference from the IEM I have (Jays-qJays and Klipsch S4) or the AT M-50?

Your input is welcome and if you feel like stirring up my brain with new selections.... go for it.

I have the AKG K550, but I can't talk about the others, since I don't know them.

Portability-wise, I can easly "roll" the cord so it's pretty easy to make it portable in terms of cord lenght. Since it goes flat, it's not dificult to put it in a backpack(althogh I wouldn't recomend trowing them in the backpack without any kind of proctection, they are very very sturdy but still they are expensive...) , or in a pouch like the one that I've seen in images with the Phiaton MS400.

Their cups are big, my head isn't big either but I'm always between the lowest or the 3rd(of 10) mark of the headphone. They are usualy very comfy...

I would say they are portable, but I use them solely on my pc.

May 19, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #14,829 of 29,490
Quote:
Hiya, so I'm looking for some midrange open headphones. 

I've been looking at mainly the Q701s and HD598. I was hoping someone might be able to comment/compare the sound quality between these two, more specifically on:
Bass: I'm not looking for pure amount of bass, rather I would like the bass to be rich where it exists (ie, I don't want to hear it when the music doesn't have much bass)
Mids: I have the shure 535 earphones, and am generally happy with the mids. I suppose I'm looking for something a little warm and forward here then
Highs: I would prefer it if the headphones aren't fatiguing, and also as little sibilance as possible

I understand there's the recent philips fidelio headphone which is in this price range as well, any comments on it are also welcome.

Lastly, suggestions for amping would be greatly appreciated - I haven't had any amps before, and will be playing music from my computer with a xonar dx card. 

Quote:
Hiya, so I'm looking for some midrange open headphones. 

I've been looking at mainly the Q701s and HD598. I was hoping someone might be able to comment/compare the sound quality between these two, more specifically on:
Bass: I'm not looking for pure amount of bass, rather I would like the bass to be rich where it exists (ie, I don't want to hear it when the music doesn't have much bass)
Mids: I have the shure 535 earphones, and am generally happy with the mids. I suppose I'm looking for something a little warm and forward here then
Highs: I would prefer it if the headphones aren't fatiguing, and also as little sibilance as possible

I understand there's the recent philips fidelio headphone which is in this price range as well, any comments on it are also welcome.

Lastly, suggestions for amping would be greatly appreciated - I haven't had any amps before, and will be playing music from my computer with a xonar dx card. 

Both are great but different.  The Q 701 gives you great clarity, while the 598 give you the sound of smooth whiskey going down. 

If you alrady like the Senn 5x5 cans you will probably like the 598 even better.  The question (if you keep both) is: are they too much alike?  If your answers are yes--get the Q701.

May 19, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #14,830 of 29,490
I've got a pair of AD700's for gaming, but I'm looking for something more neutral/warm that will do music better.

1. Circumaural and a loose fit (AD700's are secure, but not tight on my head for reference)
  2. Preferably closed design for isolation
  3. Punchy, but not bloated bass
  4. Strong mids and decent highs, but less fatiguing highs than the AD700.
  5. In the $200 area. Prices vary a lot in Europe, so it's hard to set a price.

May 19, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #14,831 of 29,490
Hey guys, this isn't exactly me asking for a recommendation but my budget was halved so i bought the Panasonic HTF 600-S.
I've heard 'things' about it (Tinny,bright and or distored highs, muddy bass, recessed midrange, breaks easily, ETC.) so i was wondering if someone here on Head-Fi could give me their unbiased opinion on these because i'm really worried. 

My previous pair that broke were the JVC HA-RX900 and i liked the sound a bit in them, mainly the soundstage but i've started to listen to more folk and rock music so i was wondering how they were with guitars and flutes.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: If possible, i'd like someone to compare them to $20 gaming 'headsets' by Plantronics and Logitech and the JVC HA-RX900.

May 19, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #14,832 of 29,490
I was hoping to get advice here about a new headphone acquisition. I want to get either the
  1. beyerdynamic dt880/600ohm premium
  2. beyerdynamic dt990 pro
  3. akg k240s

I see it's kind of a weird grouping of phones to choose from but I will give a reason for each of why I'm considering them

beyerdynamic dt880/600ohm premium: I want to get these cans eventually, whether it is during this purchase or not. I have read that they are a really good all around mid-fi can that sounds pretty natural. I've read that it's very versatile for different genres. That's the reason I wish to consider this can right now. I am hesistant on them because I hope the bass would be full enough and Idk if I can drive them alright without upgrading an amp. I will upgrade eventually, but if I can't use them with my current stuff than I'm gonna wait on buying them.

beyerdynamic dt990 pro: I am considering these because I want a headphone that has some good bass impact. If you look at my sig, my main headphone is the akg k271 which I really like but there are times when I wish I could get more bass impact specifically on movies and hip hop. My reservations with this headphone is I keep hearing about the bright highs that can be harsh and that the bass may be too overpowering.

akg k240s: I am considering these because I do like the akg fit and sound overall, and looking at least on the graph they seem to have a bassier signature than the k271. (This could be incorrect). That's the reason they're being looked at and because they're cheap compared to the other 2. I don't want to get them though if they are too similar to the k271 and if I'm going to be disappointed because they won't be that great.

So I kinda want to get a new brand even though akg been good to me so I can diversify my listening experiences. I want to use these cans at home with the setup in my sig (for at least until I can upgrade to better) to listen to things like hard rock, movies, hip hop, some ost, and a little electronic. Let me know what your opinion is on these considerations.

Thanks,

May 19, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #14,833 of 29,490
Hello. I'm completely new to this headphone thing, so I was wondering if I can get a recommendation.

I have a budget of around $200 and currently debating whether to get the HD558(and mod them) or the ATH-A700s. I have a high priority for comfort, so I'd prefer open ones, albeit if it's comfortable I don't mind if it's closed. Portability also isn't an issue. I mainly listen to electronic, rock, pop, and ambient music and also watch a lot of movies. I'm thinking of getting a fiio e10 or e17 some time down the line, but for now would prefer something that sounds decent without an amp or a dac.

Thank you!

May 19, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #14,834 of 29,490
Quote:
If you are at all okay with supra-aural phones, (ones that rest on the ear,) you should try the Sennheiser HD238, or the Koss Portapro. I have owned both, and they both have a great sound-stage, and satisfying bass. The Sennheisers are more comfortable, and the Koss is more portable, and seems to have less of a 'V' shaped frequency response.

If you like a more balanced sound than that of the HD238 and of the PortaPro, please consider the Philips SHL5500 among supra-oral phones in the under-$50 street price range.  I own all three and the Samson SR-850 (which you mentioned originally).  Of the four, I like the SR-850 the least, because of the over-emphasis on treble.  I know that some users agree with me, while others can tolerate the emphasized treble.  The Philips is about as comfortable (to me, at least) as the HD238 and the PortaPro, but it isolates better, and this makes it more practical for use in an office environment. 

May 20, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #14,835 of 29,490
Hey everyone. My girlfriend can't appreciate the difference in sound quality or picture quality. To give you an example of how bad it is, we saw Avatar playing on a tv channel one day. I thought this was the perfect chance to show her that there IS difference in picture. I showed her standard tv, then an HD channel -she didn't notice a difference. THEN I showed her standard again, and put in the blu-ray in. She didn't think there was a difference in picture quality.
She never wears headphones because they bother her ears, but today I saw her wearing Phillips SHE4500 in-ears. Are there any other headphones that fit just like these? She loves music so I want to buy her some decent headphones so she would listen to her music with those for a while. Then when she gets use to them I'll have her listen to the Phillips SHE4500 again and hopefully she'll hear the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back