++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 20, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #14,851 of 29,490
^ I actually prefer HD600 (similar to HD595) to D7000.  The intense bass and treble of D7000 hurt my ears at anything above very very low volumes and the hole in the middle frequencies placed voice and guitars too far in the background.  I prefer D5000's more moderate bass and treble but their mids are even more recessed.

The best sub $1000 headphones imo with truly amazing mids and well-balanced sound are HE-500.  Spend much less on the amp & dac because they provide a much smaller return on investment compared to headphones.

May 20, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #14,852 of 29,490
Guys, I've read that the Panasonic HTF600 are great sounding headphones and for their price its a steal. However I would like to know how it compares to the Beyerdynamic DT235 and sennheiser px100 ii and the portapro?

P.S - Budget of 40$

May 20, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #14,853 of 29,490
Hey, I'm looking to get my first "real" set of headphones. I'm using a Tritton Ax 720 gaming headset ATM, I'm looking for a good all arounder music/movie headphone. My budget is ~$200 USD including a soundcard. Suggestions? I listen to a lot of classical, hardcore, house, and various things I come across. Thank you in advance for the help. :)

EDIT: What does everyone think about ATH-A700(Not AD700) and Asus Xonar DG or DGX? Or AKG K-240S and Asus Xonar DG or DGX?

May 21, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #14,854 of 29,490
Quote:
My HD595's broke.  They lasted me many years, so I got my money out of them.

What I loved about them:

Comfortable
Extremely bright mids/highs (to my ears)
Open and crisp sound. (hope this makes sense?)

What I didn't like:

Lack of bass.  I don't like a ton of bass.  These headphones just seem to completely lack bass altogether.
Super long cable, but I can live with it if my next pair happens to be Sennheiser.

Current situation:

I bought a temporary pair of ATH-M50's to use until I buy a new setup.  For the price, they've been a great fill-in.  This pair of headphones really made me realize how much I missed having bass in my music/games.  The mids are highs seem really dull to me though on these headphones compared to my HD595's.  I feel suffocated when it comes to the mids/highs on the ATH-M50's, but maybe that's because the 595's are open and the M50's are closed? (I'm not sure that even matters or makes sense?)

I prefer to have bright highs/mids.  I also want bass, but if they sound like the dre beats, then count me out.  I want the bass to be accurate.  Not overpowering/drowning.  The hd595's just have no bass and for gaming (think battlefield 3), I would like better bass.  The deep bass of distant explosions on my M50's sounds awesome.  I missed out on that with my 595's.

Is it possible to get headphones that have a similar sound to the HD595's, only without the lack of bass?  Or is the lack of bass what gives the HD595's their sound?  I'm not sure how this works so I'm praying I can find headphones that have the crisp and bright highs/mids of the HD595's, in addition to good bass punch and extension.  Is this possible?

My budget is around $1000 for the headphones and the dac/amp.  I have an HT Omega Claro PCI soundcard but I can't use it because I just built a new PC and it doesn't have a PCI slot.  I'm basically starting from scratch.

I keep reading that the HD650's are good and actually have bass, but the price is pretty high and reading people say they're "DULL" or "VEILED" scares me out of buying them.  I had them in my shopping cart on amazon but after doing last minute reading, decided to research more and ask around before buying something.

What I want:

Comfort
Under $1000 for total price
Highs/mids (like the HD595's have)
Accurate (but not overpowering) bass
AROUND-ear
Don't care if they're open or closed, but if the "open" design is what makes the HD595's sound so open and clear then that's what I want

I do gaming but I don't like surround sound.  I prefer regular stereo.  Call me oldschool.

Thanks ahead of time.  I don't really have a budget but I don't think I need to spend more than $1k for a good setup. (right?)

Before I went on my latest headphone buying binge (SRH940, MDR-7520, DT880 (600), KNS-8400 (returned), AH-D2000) my main listening HP was for several years the HD595. I also have owned and listen to the HD 650. I always liked the 595 "you are there" sound, but especially ever since I got the 880s and the D2000, I don't feel the need to listen to the 595. The 880s are especially clear in the mids and highs, and have enough clear, tight bass to satisfy. The D2000 are nicely balanced with definitely more bass impression than either the 595 or the 880, but I feel like the 880 is a bit more honest and accurate. SO, to summarize in terms of the 595, I would describe the 880 as more clear in the mids and highs, maybe a bit biased in the upper mids, while having a more satisfying bass, while the D2000 (compared to the 595) is more balanced (no mids bias) with a much fuller bass. If I was to choose one to replace my 595s, I would choose the 880.

May 21, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #14,855 of 29,490
I'm looking for an over the ear headphone that has detail retrieval that meets or exceeds the brainwavz B2/DBA-02 in over the ear form.
I listen to classic rock mainly, and I'll soon have an objective 2 so that will be the amp that will be used.
I don't care about open/closed, I just want the best sound quality. Also, I've tried the Q701, and I really didn't like it at all. But the fiio e7 I had probably didn't do it justice.

Anyone have any ideas for what headphones I should get?

May 21, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #14,857 of 29,490
Also another question should I get a Fiio E10 or soundcard either Xonar DG/DGX. I don't play games that require directional sound so that really isn't a issue to me. So with that in mind what is the better option. Also right now I'm leaning toward the AKG 240S.

May 21, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #14,858 of 29,490
Quote:
Also another question should I get a Fiio E10 or soundcard either Xonar DG/DGX. I don't play games that require directional sound so that really isn't a issue to me. So with that in mind what is the better option. Also right now I'm leaning toward the AKG 240S.

Hi,
I recently go the FiiO E17 and ATH M50's and I am loving that for gaming and for music. Was my first good pair of headphones :p. Also the E17 is meant to sound a little better than the E10 from what people say but I don't know if that is true because I have only heard the E17.
But the FiiO range is meant to be a very good starting point.

Read this review ------> http://www.headfonia.com/the-latest-must-have-the-fiio-e10-usb-dacamp/ 

i'm not very experienced in all this but that is my input :p

May 21, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #14,859 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm looking for my ideal pair of headphones.

Here are the main points:
  1. Around $150, less than $200
  2. Circumaural
  3. Closed or semi-closed design. (The goal is noise isolation for the dorm I'll be moving into.)
  4. I listen primarily to classical, jazz, blues, reggae, and rock.
  5. Neutral-ish sound
  6. I currently have a Sennheiser HD 555 and a Fiio E7.
  7. I'm open to used headphones in good condition.

Thanks.

EDIT: Right now I'm leaning towards the FA-003. I guess the question is why shouldn't I buy it? Thanks for any advice.

Would someone please answer this?

May 21, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #14,861 of 29,490
Quote:

Would someone please answer this?

By far my favorite closed headphone under $200 is SRH940- it has good isolation and is more neutral than SRH840 (tad too much bass), K271 (totally anemic bass), D2000/5000 (weak mids), DT770-80 (waaay to much bass & treble) and has much more soundstage than DT250, an otherwise good headphone.

May 21, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #14,862 of 29,490
Hi I'm looking for a new pair of headphones in the price range of 200-250 pre tax

Music Genre: 50% Hip Hop 20% Rock and 30% Dubstep examples Tyga, Drake, T.I, Lil Wayne, 3 Day Grace. Linkin Park, Skrillex

Portable: Yes will be using at school On my Samsung Galaxy S2 and Mac

Amped: No preference

Closed Open: No preference

Headphone Preference: I want them to have punchy bass and clean highs and lows

May 22, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #14,865 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey, I'm looking to get my first "real" set of headphones. I'm using a Tritton Ax 720 gaming headset ATM, I'm looking for a good all arounder music/movie headphone. My budget is ~$200 USD including a soundcard. Suggestions? I listen to a lot of classical, hardcore, house, and various things I come across. Thank you in advance for the help. :)

Anyone? I'm still quite confused on a good set of phones for me. I have been looking for day's, all I have done is given myself a harder time deciding. Still thinking about the AKG K-240S.

EDIT: What about HD 558?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back