++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 22, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #14,881 of 29,490
Alright, need some new headphones,

My budget is around $200, I can go higher if needed, but I'd prefer not.

I'm looking for some closed headphones, relatively neutral but with extended and maybe slight bass emphasis. I'd like to have a wide soundstage too (I'm a huge soundstage nerd), even though they're closed cans.

Right now I'm mainly looking at the DT770 pro 80s (I hear the bass is overwhelming) or Brainwavz hm5s (eh), but I've heard so many mixed reviews that I'm really not sure and I'd love to hear more suggestions.

Thanks!

May 22, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #14,883 of 29,490
Quote:

I'm looking for some closed headphones, relatively neutral but with extended and maybe slight bass emphasis. I'd like to have a wide soundstage too (I'm a huge soundstage nerd), even though they're closed cans.

Right now I'm mainly looking at the DT770 pro 80s (I hear the bass is overwhelming) or Brainwavz hm5s (eh), but I've heard so many mixed reviews that I'm really not sure and I'd love to hear more suggestions.

Thanks!

Good closed headphones in that price range with even a relatively wide sound stage are quite rare.  The DT 770 Pro might be a decent choice if you're OK with recessed mids.  The 250 Ohm will give you a superior performing can--music wise.  The only reason I know of to get the 80 ohm is if you're driving it with sources having no/weak amplification.

May 22, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #14,884 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks!

The Ortofon O-one has excellent soundstage for a closed can and fits your budget.

May 22, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #14,885 of 29,490
Quote:
I am looking for a good pair of portable headphones that I can take around with me and have great sound quality. I am sick of the iphone ear buds as they break all the time and the in ear headphones hurt my ears although I've never had a decent pair, I would still prefer on ears.

I was looking at the V-Moda M80's. How is the sound? Do you think my FiiO E17 is sufficient to drive them?

It would be helpful if you could describe the sound for me. My only reference are the ATH M50's and HD600 so if you could briefly describe the sound compared to those that would be really helpful.

Thanks Guys.

I just got the M80s, and am trying to ascertain them in terms of the phones I already have. Though maybe a break-in of the M80s might change things significantly, at the moment I would describe the M80s in terms of the M50s as almost an inverse frequency curve. Whereas the M50 have decently extended but balanced highs and lows, the midrange is a bit recessed. The M80s are almost just the opposite. The upper bass, and especially the mids are emphasized quite a bit at the expense (it seems) of the highs, especially that area where you really hear the sparkle of twelve-string guitar, and cymbal crashes,  etc. Separation is a bit better on the M50s. However, I think the M80 are a bit tighter all around. I played around with eq a bit, and the M80s respond quite well, if you like the curve of the M50s (which I do). I think I could pretty easily live with the M80s, especially if I needed their small size and seeming indestructibility. You can tell they are intended for portable use, as they only come with three foot cords, and no 1/4 in adapter. Still, they use 1/8 in cords, so no worries finding a longer (or replacement) cord. 

May 22, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #14,886 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm mainly saying that for the overall presentation. The bass is punchier than the 600's, and the highs are probably better on the 600's, but to my ears they share the same highs (relaxed). The main difference for me was the 600's made me sleepy, while the M80's do not. Don't go expecting flagship full size can performance for ~$200, but I'm sure you'll enjoy them :)

Well I'm not expecting them to match the HD600's but I do want very good sound quality for a $200 portable I think that should be expected... I mean I spent less on my ATH M50's. but I am looking for the best sounding portable and the two I have narrowed it down to seems like the HD25-1-II and the M-80's. All this is purely research :p.
Quote:

What's your budget?

My Budget is around $200 I will try not go over that for a portable pair.
Quote:
The m80s are very vaguely like the hd600s, but more upfront with a nicer baddy punch. They can be driven by your e17 no problems too
smily_headphones1.gif

Sweet thats good to know. Would it also be sufficient for the  Sennheiser HD25-1-II?[size=medium] [/size]
Quote:

The HD 600 is a very neutral can.  I have not heard that V-Moda model, but I would be surprised if it was anywhere near the 600 in terms of neutrality.

Have you heard the Sennheiser HD25-1-II? That is the other alternative I was thinking of as they are the same price on headroom I think and talked about highly.[size=medium] [/size]
Quote:
Or Clarity, or sound stage, or or or.
and AFAIK the m80 does not even need the E17
Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk 2

:p How does the Sennheiser HD25-1-II

Quote:
I just got the M80s, and am trying to ascertain them in terms of the phones I already have. Though maybe a break-in of the M80s might change things significantly, at the moment I would describe the M80s in terms of the M50s as almost an inverse frequency curve. Whereas the M50 have decently extended but balanced highs and lows, the midrange is a bit recessed. The M80s are almost just the opposite. The upper bass, and especially the mids are emphasized quite a bit at the expense (it seems) of the highs, especially that area where you really hear the sparkle of twelve-string guitar, and cymbal crashes,  etc. Separation is a bit better on the M50s. However, I think the M80 are a bit tighter all around. I played around with eq a bit, and the M80s respond quite well, if you like the curve of the M50s (which I do). I think I could pretty easily live with the M80s, especially if I needed their small size and seeming indestructibility. You can tell they are intended for portable use, as they only come with three foot cords, and no 1/4 in adapter. Still, they use 1/8 in cords, so no worries finding a longer (or replacement) cord. 

oh okay so are they worth $200? Or would my money be better spent on the Sennheiser HD-1-25-II?

How do they compare with the Sennheiser HD25-II?[size=medium] [/size]Those are the two that I am looking at right now for portable use. I know this is highly subjective however I would want to know which of the two would offer me the overall better sound quality. Something that would work really well for all genres of music would be nice but sound quality is my main issue. 

Thanks for all the help so far guys :).

May 23, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #14,890 of 29,490
Quote:
@CraigGB--if you can live without a can without a basshead type sound signature, the Sony MDR-ZX700 is a very good all rounder in this price range (at least in the US).

thanks for the reply :D, I had actually overlooked them but now they are on my shortlist and they seem quite tempting, wondering if anyone else has any suggestions, it would be appreciated?

what if I could extend my budget to £100? ($160), would there be a definite benefit and any suggestions there?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op/14865#post_8402025 was my original post with what I would use them for so people don't have to look back for it :)

May 23, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #14,891 of 29,490
Quote:

thanks for the reply :D, I had actually overlooked them but now they are on my shortlist and they seem quite tempting, wondering if anyone else has any suggestions, it would be appreciated?

what if I could extend my budget to £100? ($160), would there be a definite benefit and any suggestions there?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op/14865#post_8402025 was my original post with what I would use them for so people don't have to look back for it :)

Maybe the Ultrasone HiFi 780, KRK KNS 8400 or Shure SRH 840.

May 23, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #14,892 of 29,490
Quote:

oh okay so are they worth $200? Or would my money be better spent on the Sennheiser HD-1-25-II?

How do they compare with the Sennheiser HD25-II?[size=medium] [/size]Those are the two that I am looking at right now for portable use. I know this is highly subjective however I would want to know which of the two would offer me the overall better sound quality. Something that would work really well for all genres of music would be nice but sound quality is my main issue. 

Thanks for all the help so far guys :).

Unfortunately I haven't heard the HD-25-II, so I can't comment on them relative to the M80. However, the big review thread on portables was pretty much spot on when describing both the M80 and the M50, so the comments on the HD-25-II are probably accurate.

May 23, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #14,894 of 29,490
I'am new to the world of headphones and am tired of my friend saying his beats by dre pro are the best so i want to get something to beat those that are closed and over ear. My budget is 300 usd (for headphone and amp) and i am using them with my iphone 4 and i do know a little about headphones but not much and i listen to mainly metal(lamb of god, Divine Heresy, Hatebreed, All that remains). And rap ( Eminem, Dr Dre, 50 cent, and a little drake.) and i would like a decent amount of bass but not a ton. Thank you in advance to any help. sorry if i posted in wrong thread or anything i am kind of new. 

May 24, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #14,895 of 29,490
Quote:
I'am new to the world of headphones and am tired of my friend saying his beats by dre pro are the best so i want to get something to beat those that are closed and over ear. My budget is 300 usd (for headphone and amp) and i am using them with my iphone 4 and i do know a little about headphones but not much and i listen to mainly metal(lamb of god, Divine Heresy, Hatebreed, All that remains). And rap ( Eminem, Dr Dre, 50 cent, and a little drake.) and i would like a decent amount of bass but not a ton. Thank you in advance to any help. sorry if i posted in wrong thread or anything i am kind of new. 

Ultrasone Pro 750 plus Fiio or similar portable amp. [Based on US street prices.]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back