++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 14, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #14,731 of 29,490
Quote:

The Porta Pro sounds great for the price, but isn't very sturdy and will leak.  The AKG has an OK build and will leak a bit--if that will work for you it's a good choice.  The Shure is a good can in this class (at least as good as the Sony) that is very solidly built and is closed.  The Grado leaks a great deal and has comfort issues for many.

You may also want to take a look at the KRK KNS6400, is its available to you.

Yes but on amazon they are $99
For the Grado I know that they are generally known for being exceptional for rock, but otherwise does it hurt the quality of music for other genres?  Should I eliminate it based on the fact that I want a more balanced headphone?  

Another thing with the Koss PortaPro that gets me is that with it I could technically afford a cheap amp, such as a Fiio if that would boost it's sound quality. 

Currently my circumstances is that I'm looking for headphones that I'd feel comfortable with in public (so sound leakage could be an issue), and preferably either 1) durable enough to store in a bag 2) foldable to put in a carry case or 3) detachable cable for easy wear around the head/neck.  Music I listen to are generally Japanese anime music.

May 14, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #14,732 of 29,490
Sometime ago I asked about portable on-ear/over the ear headphones with consumer-friendly sound as an alternative to Beats. The purpose it for a girl friend of mine which like(loves would be the correct word) the looks of the Beats(yeah v-v"), and originaly was wanting to spend as little as possible. I presented the Shure SHR440 and she did didn't like it.

Beats released a model called Mixr which is about ~ US$ 250, and so she asked me to bring it if I could. Since her budget went higher, I thought in presenting other headphones that might call her atention, and I remembered the Phiaton MS400.

Her musical tastes ranges from mainly pop, eletronic, a bit of rock, j-music and some other stuff. Since portability, comfort and looks are a must for her, she will surely take them out of home, what do you think to present her the Phiaton MS400 for her?

May 14, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #14,733 of 29,490
i got 160 dolar to spend with headphones.

i don''t have amp.

i will use the headphones to listen music in my computer.

i want a headphone with great bass, confortable and durable.

what model is better for me ?

thanks for the help.

May 14, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #14,734 of 29,490
$60 max
I have a one time recording gig that I got volunteered to do...
Don't own closed cans
Rough monitoring of levels and stereo panning. Need good midrange (the singer is family)

Want to use the headphones after for general listening

The Beyer DT235s are calling my name. Any alternatives?

Thanks!

May 14, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #14,735 of 29,490
Quote:

Yes but on amazon they are $99
For the Grado I know that they are generally known for being exceptional for rock, but otherwise does it hurt the quality of music for other genres?  Should I eliminate it based on the fact that I want a more balanced headphone?  

Another thing with the Koss PortaPro that gets me is that with it I could technically afford a cheap amp, such as a Fiio if that would boost it's sound quality. 

Currently my circumstances is that I'm looking for headphones that I'd feel comfortable with in public (so sound leakage could be an issue), and preferably either 1) durable enough to store in a bag 2) foldable to put in a carry case or 3) detachable cable for easy wear around the head/neck.  Music I listen to are generally Japanese anime music.

Here it is for $79.00 new and shipped:

http://www.amazon.com/Package-Professional-Headphones-High-efficiency-Integrated/dp/B0053ECILW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1C5OQANL5XOIR&colid=3TMR6IEFCG0JX

The Grado sound signature is polarizing, and especially at the entry level SR cans is not a particularly good all arounder for most.

There is no need for any amp with the Porta-Pro.  Go to the first post of this thread and check out the buying guides.  Any can with a "1" does not need an amp.

May 14, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #14,736 of 29,490
Quote:
Sometime ago I asked about portable on-ear/over the ear headphones with consumer-friendly sound as an alternative to Beats. The purpose it for a girl friend of mine which like(loves would be the correct word) the looks of the Beats(yeah v-v"), and originaly was wanting to spend as little as possible. I presented the Shure SHR440 and she did didn't like it.

Beats released a model called Mixr which is about ~ US$ 250, and so she asked me to bring it if I could. Since her budget went higher, I thought in presenting other headphones that might call her atention, and I remembered the Phiaton MS400.

Her musical tastes ranges from mainly pop, eletronic, a bit of rock, j-music and some other stuff. Since portability, comfort and looks are a must for her, she will surely take them out of home, what do you think to present her the Phiaton MS400 for her?

Son--you're already in deep trouble when you're asking strangers what gift will be esthetically pleasing to your girlfriend.

May 14, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #14,737 of 29,490
Quote:
i got 160 dolar to spend with headphones.

i don''t have amp.

i will use the headphones to listen music in my computer.

i want a headphone with great bass, confortable and durable.

what model is better for me ?

thanks for the help.

Not my cup of tea, but check this buying guide for cans with a rating of "1" and a red "B":

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

May 14, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #14,738 of 29,490
Yea I know that the Koss PortaPro doesn't require an amp but I do remember reading somewhere that it does still make the sound better.  it's just an consideration.  Is the KRK KNS6400 something you strongly recommend after personaly trying it out?

May 14, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #14,739 of 29,490
Quote:
Yea I know that the Koss PortaPro doesn't require an amp but I do remember reading somewhere that it does still make the sound better.  it's just an consideration.  Is the KRK KNS6400 something you strongly recommend after personaly trying it out?

I have not yet heard the (or any) KRK.  My suggestion to check it out is based on reviews, buying guides and recommendations from folks on this site that I trust.

May 14, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #14,740 of 29,490
I need help with purchasing headphones.I go out ALOT and I would like for something portable and stylish(optional). I listen to all kinds of genres. But I mostly listen to electro, house progression, hip-hop & rap. I'm really looking for over-ear headphones(I try to avoid anything else).If possible, I want something better than the ath-m50s.I would like the mids, highs, and lows sound crystal clear without the requirement of purchasing an amp. Also I do love bass. I'm trying to keep the price below $180. Any suggestions would be much appreciated
Thanks.

May 14, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #14,741 of 29,490
Quote:

Son--you're already in deep trouble when you're asking strangers what gift will be esthetically pleasing to your girlfriend.

First, she is not my girlfriend, she is a childhood friend, sorry if I wasn't clear, but without being rude I was hoping for something usefull.

My question is not just a question of aesthetics, my question is that I want to help her to buy something that is good, and not that is inflated by propaganda. Interpret as you wish, but my present problem is not very diferent of many here that have friends who like beats, but wish to present something better, just is my case the friend is a girl. In her case, I have the aditional constraints that I mentioned above.

May 14, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #14,742 of 29,490
Quote:

First, she is not my girlfriend, she is a childhood friend, sorry if I wasn't clear, but without being rude I was hoping for something usefull.

My question is not just a question of aesthetics, my question is that I want to help her to buy something that is good, and not that is inflated by propaganda. Interpret as you wish, but my present problem is not very diferent of many here that have friends who like beats, but wish to present something better, just is my case the friend is a girl. In her case, I have the aditional constraints that I mentioned above.

With her present, go through the buying guides that appear in the first post of this thread.  Find some cans that appear to meet her music and other preferences.  Check the reviews (linked in both guides); they often include photos.  Listen to the finalists if possible.

May 14, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #14,743 of 29,490
Quote:
I need help with purchasing headphones.I go out ALOT and I would like for something portable and stylish(optional). I listen to all kinds of genres. But I mostly listen to electro, house progression, hip-hop & rap. I'm really looking for over-ear headphones(I try to avoid anything else).If possible, I want something better than the ath-m50s.I would like the mids, highs, and lows sound crystal clear without the requirement of purchasing an amp. Also I do love bass. I'm trying to keep the price below $180. Any suggestions would be much appreciated
Thanks.

That's very easy, and you have two great options. You might have to stretch your price range twenty bucks though. The sennheiser hd25 sound exactly like what you want. It sounds great strait from an ipod/computer, but will benifit from a small amp ala the fiio e6. The v moda m80 is also an excellant choice.

May 14, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #14,744 of 29,490

Bass isnt really needed in most jap anime music (more pop genre), so i'd get the alessandros instead. You wont need an amp to drive any of them, thats only useful for the higher end products,

May 14, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #14,745 of 29,490
Hey Headfiers:

Been searching the forums and I can't seem to find what I need...
I'm in need of a closed headphone for my home office.  I currently own the HD600 and am very satisfied running them with RSA Predator USB DAC.  On the road I use the HD25's - I really like these cans and the noise isolation is phenomenal, but I'd like an over ear headphone for my home setup.  I listen to mostly classical music (orchestral).  Any recommendations?  I know there is no true closed equivalent of the HD600, but something similar?  From what I've seen on the forums so far the D5000, DT880, and DT250 all look good.  At first I tried the AKG K271 MKII but these really don't sound like the HD600 and the noise isolation is pretty poor.  I need something with good noise isolation like the HD25 and great soundstage like the HD600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back