++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 29, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #14,386 of 29,490

Quote:

When you say bright, do you mean the highs are ear piercing and highly annoying? Because that is one thing my ears do not like. 

Another question: would I get bored of the 325i due to the lack of needing an amp to drive them? Or are they just amazing regardless? Because I definitely love that Grado sound.

Straight out of my receiver they are very bright, with its highs just south of what I find irritating or harsh.  Others are on the other side of that line.

With my hybrid amp, HiFi Man EF2A, that issue is gone.  With it the 325's are one of my favorite cans--especially for rock, country, blues and bluegrass.

Apr 29, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #14,387 of 29,490

Quote:
G'day all,

Have not posted for a while but would like some advice on my next headphone purchase.

Currently have the Shure SRH750DJ and I am looking at either the Sennheiser HD600 or Denon AH-D2000.

My problem is I am unable to try any headphones before I buy.

The source is a rockboxed 5.5 gen iPod with iBasso D6.

Music I listen to varies  - AC/DC, SRV, Eric Clapton, Larry Carlton, Rush, Smooth Jazz just to name a few.

I don't think I'm a basshead but if it's there in the source I want to hear it as well as the phones having to be equal in the lows,mids and highs ie I would not want something with strong lows and highs with weak mids. I'm no audiophile but I think you get the picture.

Thanks.

Cheers.

Howdy partner,

Between those two cans go with the Senn--they are very neutral.  The mids on the D2000 are recessed--not as much as some other cans--but recessed never-the-less.

Apr 29, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #14,388 of 29,490
Need some help:

I currently own a pair of Denon 2000's and HD595s. I originally bought the Denon's after I got some recommendations for listening to metal music (i mostly listen to progressive) regardless, I found the 595's much, much better for listening to the wide variety of music I listen too, but mainly my progressive metal liking. Anyway, recently I dropped my 595's which resulted in them getting damaged. They still work but whenever there is any bass there is some rattling which gets distracting.

I'm looking to upgrade and I have about $1000 to do so. I run my headphones off a EssenceSTX with OPA627 opamps. I guess the headphone amp on that means I can drive a wide variety of headphones with no problem. I've been looking at the HD800s (I know outside the $1000 price) but I'd be willing to spend a little extra if they can give me that same 595 type sound. So basically my question is, does the HD800's have a similar sound to the 595's? I haven't really found any direct comparisons between the two, but most people say the 800's wide soundstage and sound very airy, I guess this would describe the 595's as well, although I'm sure the 800's are way better. The 700's are also an option I guess as early reviews paint them similar to the 800's only with a thicker sound, which actually may be better for metal listening. But does anyone have any other options at this price range that might sound better? Again I really like the sound from the 595's, but I have the extra money so if there are better options with similar sound I'd like to upgrade to that.

Thanks

Apr 29, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #14,389 of 29,490

Quote:
Need some help:

I currently own a pair of Denon 2000's and HD595s. I originally bought the Denon's after I got some recommendations for listening to metal music (i mostly listen to progressive) regardless, I found the 595's much, much better for listening to the wide variety of music I listen too, but mainly my progressive metal liking. Anyway, recently I dropped my 595's which resulted in them getting damaged. They still work but whenever there is any bass there is some rattling which gets distracting.

I'm looking to upgrade and I have about $1000 to do so. I run my headphones off a EssenceSTX with OPA627 opamps. I guess the headphone amp on that means I can drive a wide variety of headphones with no problem. I've been looking at the HD800s (I know outside the $1000 price) but I'd be willing to spend a little extra if they can give me that same 595 type sound. So basically my question is, does the HD800's have a similar sound to the 595's? I haven't really found any direct comparisons between the two, but most people say the 800's wide soundstage and sound very airy, I guess this would describe the 595's as well, although I'm sure the 800's are way better. The 700's are also an option I guess as early reviews paint them similar to the 800's only with a thicker sound, which actually may be better for metal listening. But does anyone have any other options at this price range that might sound better? Again I really like the sound from the 595's, but I have the extra money so if there are better options with similar sound I'd like to upgrade to that.

Thanks

Can't help you, except to say that you might want to post this in the Summit-Fi section of the forum.  You're getting into their turf.

Apr 29, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #14,390 of 29,490
If I were to get the sennheiser hd 598, would it still sound great without an amp? I've heard mixed views on this. Some say it really benefits from one, others don't notice much difference. Would a newbie such as myself enjoy these directly out of my laptop's headphone jack? Would I notice much difference at all with an amp?

Apr 29, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #14,391 of 29,490
Hello everyone,

As you can tell, I'm new here, and I've heard a lot of great things about this forum and the wealth of knowledge you all have. So, I'd like to see what recommendations you might have for a new pair of headphones for me.

I'm looking to get a pair of headphones that are less than $100 (the more under, the better), that will sound great for PC games and music/movies. I listen to a very wide range of music, but generally it consists of hip-hop/rap, club music, and newer alternative rock. I spend a lot time playing games, so that's what I'd like to focus on the most. I've been told numerous times that I should get a pair of headphones with a separate microphone, rather than spending a lot of extra money on a headset. These new headphones will be an upgrade to the SteelSeries 4H headset that I've had for several years now, thus I'm fairly certain any headphones will have better audio quality.

It would be great if I could purchase any of the recommendations at a retail store, but that's not absolutely necessary.

Apr 29, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #14,392 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello everyone,

As you can tell, I'm new here, and I've heard a lot of great things about this forum and the wealth of knowledge you all have. So, I'd like to see what recommendations you might have for a new pair of headphones for me.

I'm looking to get a pair of headphones that are less than $100 (the more under, the better), that will sound great for PC games and music/movies. I listen to a very wide range of music, but generally it consists of hip-hop/rap, club music, and newer alternative rock. I spend a lot time playing games, so that's what I'd like to focus on the most. I've been told numerous times that I should get a pair of headphones with a separate microphone, rather than spending a lot of extra money on a headset. These new headphones will be an upgrade to the SteelSeries 4H headset that I've had for several years now, thus I'm fairly certain any headphones will have better audio quality.

It would be great if I could purchase any of the recommendations at a retail store, but that's not absolutely necessary.

I really like the Sennheiser HD 280s. That's a good sounding, reliable pair of headphones.

I'm hoping to buy an awesome portable audio system soon. Which one would be better?

iMod 5.5G > ALO Audio Rx MKII > HD800
--or--
iPod Touch>Centrance DACport lx>ALO Audio Rx MKII > HD800

Apr 29, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #14,393 of 29,490

Looking for a pair of cans for work along with the ride to/from work. Will be listening to mainly jazz and country along with a little bit of everything else through a PC, phone and ipod. Need to be circumaural, closed and somewhat portable. I also would like to use these without an amp. Currently looking at (or any other recommendations in the $250ish price range):
  1. Shure SRH940
  2. Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohms
  3. Ultrasone 750 PRO

Recently purchased a pair of the Ultrasone 750 PRO for home use with about 10-15 hours of listening pleasure. I was really looking at trying out a different brand in order to simply broaden my listening experience that is unless nothing really matches up with the 750. 

Thanks in advance!

Apr 29, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #14,394 of 29,490
Looking for something, $150 or so, that will be comfortable for very extended length wears, and blocks out a lot of noise (Talking, TV). Durability and changable cables a +. Should I consider in-ear monitors? Or look for a closed fullsized headphone.

Apr 29, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #14,395 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Samson SR850 (made by Superlux) semi-open, I'm not sure how they compare to the SteelSeries 4H.
And get whatever add on mic you fancy.

Apr 29, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #14,396 of 29,490

Quote:

Looking for a pair of cans for work along with the ride to/from work. Will be listening to mainly jazz and country along with a little bit of everything else through a PC, phone and ipod. Need to be circumaural, closed and somewhat portable. I also would like to use these without an amp. Currently looking at (or any other recommendations in the $250ish price range):
  1. Shure SRH940
  3. Ultrasone 750 PRO

Recently purchased a pair of the Ultrasone 750 PRO for home use with about 10-15 hours of listening pleasure. I was really looking at trying out a different brand in order to simply broaden my listening experience that is unless nothing really matches up with the 750. 

Thanks in advance!

Shure srh 940 is amazing for jazz the other two have to much bass for my liking

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #14,397 of 29,490

Quote:

Howdy partner,

Between those two cans go with the Senn--they are very neutral.  The mids on the D2000 are recessed--not as much as some other cans--but recessed never-the-less.

Cheers Mate,

The hd600's being 300ohm would my iBasso D6 do them justice or would I be better off with say 80ohms or less - I'm now looking at another headphone, the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm. I will only be using a portable amp to drive these cans for the forseeable future.

So it's down to 3 now but I'm sure if I research some more on these forums I will get confused and not know what to buy!!

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #14,398 of 29,490

Quote:

I really like the Sennheiser HD 280s. That's a good sounding, reliable pair of headphones.

I'm hoping to buy an awesome portable audio system soon. Which one would be better?

iMod 5.5G > ALO Audio Rx MKII > HD800
--or--
iPod Touch>Centrance DACport lx>ALO Audio Rx MKII > HD800

I've been looking at the Sennheiser HD428 headphones, how do the 280's compare, and are they worth the extra cost?

Quote:

Samson SR850 (made by Superlux) semi-open, I'm not sure how they compare to the SteelSeries 4H.
And get whatever add on mic you fancy.

The Samson SR850's look quite good for the low price. The SteelSeries 4H's are a low end gaming headset that I got on clearance several years ago, and their audio quality is quite sub par. 

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #14,399 of 29,490

Quote:

Cheers Mate,

The hd600's being 300ohm would my iBasso D6 do them justice or would I be better off with say 80ohms or less - I'm now looking at another headphone, the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm. I will only be using a portable amp to drive these cans for the forseeable future.

So it's down to 3 now but I'm sure if I research some more on these forums I will get confused and not know what to buy!!

I can't answer your amp question, as I am not familiar with it.  The Senn is the hardest to drive of all the cans you have mentioned.

The DT 770 has a touch of the "V" EQ signature with recessed mids.  The 80 Ohm is easiest to drive, but is reported to have worst sound (of the DT 770 options).  The 250 Ohm version sounds better and is not that difficult to drive--again I can't speak to your particular amp.

If it tells your anything, I can drive all the cans we have discussed with my affordable HiFi Man EF2A hybrid desk top amp.  Remember that it's not just the Ohm rating on a can that will tell you for sure how difficult a can is to drive and what specifications you amp must have to properly drive them.

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #14,400 of 29,490

Will be listening to mainly jazz and country along with a little bit of everything else through a PC, phone and ipod. Need to be circumaural, closed and somewhat portable. I also would like to use these without an amp.

1. Shure SRH940
  3. Ultrasone 750 PRO

Shure srh 940 is amazing for jazz the other two have to much bass for my liking

Indeed the SRH-940 is very good at country and jazz music.

It may require an amplifier though, but nothing too fancy, I suspect the iBasso D-Zero would be perfect, though I haven't heard that combo quite yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back