++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 30, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #14,416 of 29,490

Quote:
I had a question.
What kind of amping do the grados need? They're easy to drive right? Should a fiio e17 be sufficient?
The specific grado model I'm getting is the sr325is.

You don't mention your source, but a 325 is fine out of an iPhone.  Except--if you have certain types of iPhone cases, they could block the wide plastic bottom end of the Grado pug into the device--but you'll need a converter, as the 325 comes on with 1/4" plug.

Apr 30, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #14,417 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello,

I've been lurking this website ever since around february and have seen alot of headphones, but i don't know what pair to choose from.
I'm looking for a pair of headphones that are around $70 or less and good for gaming, movies and music. My music tastes vaires from Electronic (DnB and Trance) to Rock(Grunge and Metal) and Soundtracks from Video Games and Movies. I've looked into budget headphones praised around here such as the Superlux 668b and the Samson SR850. Thanks.

For gaming and movies you will want something open (but not for in public use--they leak).  That leads me to the Superlux HD668B Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones or Samson SR850 Semi-Open Studio Reference Headphones.

Apr 30, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #14,419 of 29,490
hello everybody

i am thinking about upgrade my sound system that i'm using right now on my PC
i have an ATH-AD700 and a xonar DG

im thinking about upgrade to a sennheiser HD 595. do you guys think this is a good option? I use the headphones mostly for games(competitive) and movies, so i like a open design with good soundstage, clear and crisp sound, with balanced bass

should i get the HD 595 or it will be just a waste of money?

Apr 30, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #14,420 of 29,490
I hope you guys can set me on the right track for choosing some great headphones, thanks in advance. Some information for you to be able to give me adequate advice.

Music genres: Ambient, Trance, Chillout, Popular music and Classical (minimal like Philip Glass). Furthermore it will be used for Youtube and other sites alike, for movies and series.
Portable: No, I will use it most of the time with my laptop.
Price range: Preferably 100 euros max (see list a bit further). This is without an headphone AMP which may be an option in the future.
Closed/Open: Closed. Don't want to wake up others or burden them with my sounds.
Headphone preference: I want to listen and enjoy the music.
Listening time: All day long. I have at this moment USB PC headphones (Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000) and the pads are scaling off (if that's a correct translation). I actually don't know the difference between PC headphones and normal headphones. Anyone an idea about that? So not only is the factor sound important the headphones also need to be comfortable.

A list I have composed based on the FAQ in this topic and other sources on the net. Remeber all are 100 euro's or cheaper other additions are of course welcome :) but will make choosing even harder.

- Koss Pro DJ 100 (75eu)

- Philips Uptown (99eu)

- Ultrasone Hfi 580 (B-stock don't know exactly what is wrong yet) (99eu)

- Shure SRH-440 (75eu)

- Creative Aurvana Live! (60eu)

- KRK KNS-6400 (89eu)

Apr 30, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #14,421 of 29,490

Quote:
hello everybody

im thinking about upgrade to a sennheiser HD 595. do you guys think this is a good option? I use the headphones mostly for games(competitive) and movies, so i like a open design with good soundstage, clear and crisp sound, with balanced bass

I wouldn't really call the 595's an upgrade from AD700.  If you want more bass, go for HD558's. They're pretty much better than 595's in every way, and have more bass, but again, it's not gonna be a big upgrade to AD700 for gaming or movies. Might actually be a downgrade in some areas of sound since AD700 are particularly good at stuff that needs a big soundstage. Maybe find a good used HD580 or HD600...or K601, or AD900.

Apr 30, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #14,422 of 29,490
I know I'm being stubborn, and I should just get an amp, but my computer has a realtek hd audio sound card (RTKVHD64 to be exact, if you can make sense of that). Would that do the headphones any justice? If it can't, I'll just get a fiio amp. What fiio under $100 would go well with the 598s?

Apr 30, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #14,423 of 29,490

Quote:

The 598 is easy to drive, but I can't tell for sure that your laptop (no details provided) could drive it at or near its full potential.  What I can tell you is that if an amp/dac is needed, you can almost certainly get by with a very affordable one, such as made by Fiio.

I know I'm being stubborn, and I should just get an amp, but my computer has a realtek hd audio sound card (RTKVHD64 to be exact, if you can make sense of that). Would that do the headphones any justice? If it can't, I'll just get a fiio amp. What fiio under $100 would go well with the 598s?

Apr 30, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #14,424 of 29,490

Quote:

Technically, 598's would need something like E9 to get powered properly. They're not as easy to drive well (not meaning loud) as its specifications would suggest.

Apr 30, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #14,425 of 29,490

Quote:
hello everybody

The 595 is a discontinued model that has some record of cracking problems.  Are you going for it over the newer 558 and 598 because of price?

Apr 30, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #14,426 of 29,490

Quote:

Technically, 598's would need something like E9 to get powered properly. They're not as easy to drive well (not meaning loud) as its specifications would suggest.

Hmm could you clarify this to me. Because after looking at HD598 specs they are pretty easy to drive. You only need around 13mW to reach 110dBSPL with these headphones. I don't see how having something big and strong would make a difference to driving these headphones when they need so litte power.

Apr 30, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #14,428 of 29,490

Quote:

Hmm could you clarify this to me. Because after looking at HD598 specs they are pretty easy to drive. You only need around 13mW to reach 110dBSPL with these headphones. I don't see how having something big and strong would make a difference to driving these headphones when they need so litte power.

Definitely, not into the science of this stuff, but I enjoyed the HD598 much more amped. Just more dynamic.

Apr 30, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #14,429 of 29,490

Quote:

yeah basicaly because of price, maybe got a used one
they should have beter sound than 558 right?

I don't know, I've only heard the 558.  Are you aware of the simple tape removal mod than is supposed to make the 558 sound almost exactly like the 598?  If not just look it up.

It is true that the 558 is "only" the middle tear offering in the current 5x8 line.

Apr 30, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #14,430 of 29,490

Quote:

Getting headphones loud doesn't mean that they're powered properly. The need a lot of power and current to work well. You can get them loud out of an ipod, but they won't sound nearly as good as out of an amp. Loudness is not sound quality.  Also, their impedance is 50 Ohms only on paper, its actually not constant, it has a big spike that goes up to 300Ohms. You can use them without an amp, but you'll be wasting your money. You better buy cheaper headphones then, you'll get the same sound out of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back