++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 29, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #14,371 of 29,490

Quote:
I am looking for headphone for home use. My price range is about 250 euro's.

I had the same decision 2 months ago, browsed this forum over and over.
Then, i was looking for a headphone that i could use at home and on the go. 
Since i didn't find anything to my taste, i decided to go for IEM's and picked up a Sennheiser IE80.
It was great, especially the soundstage was very good. But the isolation was indeed somewhat lacking.

I lost the IEM 2 weeks after my purchase, silly me...

I decided i'm going to stick to home use, as i tend to not take care of my stuff that well.

I listen mostly to all electronic genres, mainly techno and dub. 
The denon D2000 seems great but now they sell for 400 euros ???
2 months back they were priced at 225...

If anyone finds a good denon D2000 deal in europe, let me know.
Otherwise what else is there for me?

A beyer + a fiio?
Is the AKG Q701 good for my genre?

If you like loud or prominent bass, you probably won't be happy with the Q701.  If not, it should work for you.

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #14,373 of 29,490

Quote:

K550 do indeed get closest to sounding like opened headphones, but they're really tricky in terms of getting a proper seal on the head. You see, clamping force is almost nonexistent, headband sits on top of your head and ear cushions just gently press on the sides of your head. That means that if you have a small or thin head, you will most likely have problems with noise isolation.
But,  if you're in the US, then you can order them from headroom (http://www.headphone.com/headphones/akg-k-550.php) and have a 30 day trial period.

Thanks to both you and KG. I actually have a pretty big head, so I'm not sure that would be too big of a problem for me. It's a bit above what I was hoping to spend, but it would be worth upping the budget a little bit to get what I'm looking for, and I have heard good things in what I have read.

KG, I am in the US. An online audio retailer, FullCompass, is located in the city I live in and I have been dealing with them as they have helpful sales people and I get to try before I buy. I'd like to continue working with them because they've been so helpful, but if I need to turn to online to get the right headphone for me then I'm willing to do that.

I'll look into these options. Thanks for your help, once again.

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #14,374 of 29,490

Quote:
hi guys torn between the akg 550 and ultrasone pro 750. any thoughts on both

At Amazon the the 750 is $75 cheaper--and comes with extra ear pads, two cords and a case.  The 550 does not have a detachable cord.  That's more than enough to break a tie for me.

Apr 29, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #14,376 of 29,490
Hey guys, just looking for an opinion. I currently run a simple vinyl setup that looks like: Marantz 2252b receiver --> Pro-ject debut III turntable ---> Grado sr60i . I also have another receiver with an aux input that I listen to music through my iPod with. My question is: should I upgrade to the 325i's or the HD600's? I listen to a pretty wide variety of music but no rap/country/electronic/classical. Thanks!

Apr 29, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #14,377 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys, just looking for an opinion. I currently run a simple vinyl setup that looks like: Marantz 2252b receiver --> Pro-ject debut III turntable ---> Grado sr60i . I also have another receiver with an aux input that I listen to music through my iPod with. My question is: should I upgrade to the 325i's or the HD600's? I listen to a pretty wide variety of music but no rap/country/electronic/classical. Thanks!

Just to confirm, you listen to Rock, Jazz, and Blues?

Apr 29, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #14,378 of 29,490

Quote:

Between those two you will have to decide whether you want an accurate, neutral can that is somewhat hard to drive (the Senn), or if you want a very bright (some--but not I--say harsh), in your face can that puts you on the stage with the musicians (Grado).

Compared to your 60, expect the 325 to have much better bass, clarity, build quality and a bit better sound stage.  It is also a bigger headphone than the 60.

Apr 29, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #14,379 of 29,490
Hey guys,

I am looking for closed full-sized headphones at the cost of 300-400$ which I plan to wear outside.
The type of music I'd like them to be best at is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRmdOXD1_mU (there's some singing at around 2:00) but I'd also like to have them produce good quality classical music. Just to mention - the size of the soundstage is something I value a lot. Ultrasone is a brand I favor so if you know any good models that fit the upper descriptions please be sure to point them out.

Thanks

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #14,382 of 29,490

Quote:

Just to confirm, you listen to Rock, Jazz, and Blues?

Yeah most of what I listen to is rock oriented. The only band I can think of of the top of my head that isn't rock per-se is Sigur Ros, and I listen to them a lot. Majority is classic rock(Zeppelin, Beck, Hendrix)

Quote:

Between those two you will have to decide whether you want an accurate, neutral can that is somewhat hard to drive (the Senn), or if you want a very bright (some--but not I--say harsh), in your face can that puts you on the stage with the musicians (Grado).

Compared to your 60, expect the 325 to have much better bass, clarity, build quality and a bit better sound stage.  It is also a bigger headphone than the 60.

When you say bright, do you mean the highs are ear piercing and highly annoying? Because that is one thing my ears do not like. 

Another question: would I get bored of the 325i due to the lack of needing an amp to drive them? Or are they just amazing regardless? Because I definitely love that Grado sound.

Apr 29, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #14,384 of 29,490

Quote:

I read some reviews and people say 750s need an amp. If you think that is the case which would you suggest?

They do.  I only own one (in addition to vintage and A/V receivers).  I can tell you that my hybrid desktop HiFi Man EF2A works fine with them.  Beyond that you'll have to turn to others for advice.

Apr 29, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #14,385 of 29,490
G'day all,

Have not posted for a while but would like some advice on my next headphone purchase.

Currently have the Shure SRH750DJ and I am looking at either the Sennheiser HD600 or Denon AH-D2000.

My problem is I am unable to try any headphones before I buy.

The source is a rockboxed 5.5 gen iPod with iBasso D6.

Music I listen to varies  - AC/DC, SRV, Eric Clapton, Larry Carlton, Rush, Smooth Jazz just to name a few.

I don't think I'm a basshead but if it's there in the source I want to hear it as well as the phones having to be equal in the lows,mids and highs ie I would not want something with strong lows and highs with weak mids. I'm no audiophile but I think you get the picture.

Thanks.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back