++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 28, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #14,356 of 29,490
Well i will mostly use them at home not the city. Any recommendations?

Then easily the Denon d2k, a very good all rounder. It leaks sound, but doesn't let it in. I have had mine for over a year, selling it now... Only to buy the d7k. I would get one while I still can if I were you.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk 2

Apr 28, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #14,358 of 29,490
Hey, I'm looking for a new set of headphones my max budget is 400.  I need them to be closed headphones as I work in a loud and crowded office sound leakage is very important as I do not want to disturb my co-workers.  I listen most genres but primarily indie.  I don't own any amp/dac currently but am open to purchasing one.  Portability would be nice as I travel very often and plan on using these headphones on the plane.  I really enjoy the "warm" sounding headphones.

At home I use Senn RS 180 which sound great but the sound leakage wouldn't be acceptable at work.  I went and purchased the AKG 271 MKII and truthfully these sound like crap the first few days of use so I'm coming here for help.

Thanks for your time.

After doing some research I am very interested in the Denon AHD2000 anyone have opinions on this set?

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #14,359 of 29,490

Quote:
I was wondering if there was a huge difference between the sr225i and the sr325i? There's a big price jump (well big for lower end HPs).

Yes--there is a major difference.  The 325 adds superior bass, clarity and build quality over the 225.  BUT some find the highs of the 325 to be too bright and even harsh.

I very much like the 325, especially when paired with a proper amp, like my affordable hybrid HiFi Man EF2A.

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #14,360 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey, I'm looking for a new set of headphones my max budget is 400.  I need them to be closed headphones as I work in a loud and crowded office sound leakage is very important as I do not want to disturb my co-workers.  I listen most genres but primarily indie.  I don't own any amp/dac currently but am open to purchasing one.  Portability would be nice as I travel very often and plan on using these headphones on the plane.  I really enjoy the "warm" sounding headphones.

At home I use Senn RS 180 which sound great but the sound leakage wouldn't be acceptable at work.  I went and purchased the AKG 271 MKII and truthfully these sound like crap the first few days of use so I'm coming here for help.

Thanks for your time.

After doing some research I am very interested in the Denon AHD2000 anyone have opinions on this set?

The D2000 are great cans for their price range.  But for about $400 (US market) you should be able to pick up the the D5000--which is even better and more balanced.

On the downside, neither isolates very well for closed cans and both leak a bit for the class.

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #14,361 of 29,490
I'm looking for a pair of open headphones in the $200-$250 range, and I'm torn between the grado sr225i and the sennheiser hd 598. I listen to all types of rock, including soundgarden, pink floyd, nirvana, and foo fighters to name a few. I also listen to some classical. I'll also be using them for movies. Now I've heard that the sennheisers are great all around, and that the grados are excellent for rock, but do the grados fare well with other genres? And is rock one of the strong suits of the sennheisers? I don't really know what sound signature I prefer, as these will be my first high quality headphones and I have no method or location to try them out before purchase. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #14,362 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking for a pair of open headphones in the $200-$250 range, and I'm torn between the grado sr225i and the sennheiser hd 598. I listen to all types of rock, including soundgarden, pink floyd, nirvana, and foo fighters to name a few. I also listen to some classical. I'll also be using them for movies. Now I've heard that the sennheisers are great all around, and that the grados are excellent for rock, but do the grados fare well with other genres? And is rock one of the strong suits of the sennheisers? I don't really know what sound signature I prefer, as these will be my first high quality headphones and I have no method or location to try them out before purchase. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

These are two highly regarded but very different cans.  The Grado is bright in-your-face with a small sound stage.  The Senn is lush, rich and slightly veiled and has a large sound stage. 

In my book the Senn is a much better all-arrounder than the Grado.  It is clearly better for movies and gaming because of its sound stage. 

On the other hand the 225 is considered to be the sweet spot of the Grado line.  So if you love the Grado sound, it's a great choice.  A large group loves the Grado sound, but a group that is almost as large dislikes it--or at least is not wild about it.  The Senns have some detractors (most find it boring), but it is not as polarizing as the Grados.

Especially in a case like this there is no substitute for listening to each of the cans.  However if you can't, start here and soak up all the quality reviews of each before you make your decision.

Apr 29, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #14,363 of 29,490

Thanks for your time.

I have the k242hd, it really needs over 200 hours of burn in and an amp to sound good. So a few days is DEFINITELY not enough. D2k wouldn't be acceptable for work, they leak too much

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #14,365 of 29,490
Yeah but it wont magically become different headphone.

True, the sound signature will largely be the same, but the bad tightens, clarity increases, sound stage widens, highs (on the k242hd increased) and mids come a little bit forward.

Apr 29, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #14,367 of 29,490
I am looking for headphone for home use. My price range is about 250 euro's.

I had the same decision 2 months ago, browsed this forum over and over.
Then, i was looking for a headphone that i could use at home and on the go. 
Since i didn't find anything to my taste, i decided to go for IEM's and picked up a Sennheiser IE80.
It was great, especially the soundstage was very good. But the isolation was indeed somewhat lacking.

I lost the IEM 2 weeks after my purchase, silly me...

I decided i'm going to stick to home use, as i tend to not take care of my stuff that well.

I listen mostly to all electronic genres, mainly techno and dub. 
The denon D2000 seems great but now they sell for 400 euros ???
2 months back they were priced at 225...

If anyone finds a good denon D2000 deal in europe, let me know.
Otherwise what else is there for me?

A beyer + a fiio?
Is the AKG Q701 good for my genre?

Apr 29, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #14,368 of 29,490

Quote:
Guys i need your help. Im thinking of buying new headphones because my Senn pc 350 are not satisfying me anymore and i want a cinema theater sound experience in my ears so here's some hp's i like so far. I will use it mainly for music (rock, eletronic, pop), movies and mostly for gaming.

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro, V-MODA Crossfade M80 or LP and ATH M50.

What you think?

Well we should rule out the m80's out because It has a small soundstage so you probably wont be able to use it for gaming, and the m50's also have a smaller soundstage for gaming too but bigger than the m80's, but the m80's sound  better. So I would have to reccomend you the dt770's. I also reccomend you pick up a fiio e6 with it.

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #14,370 of 29,490

Quote:
I am looking for headphone for home use. My price range is about 250 euro's.

I had the same decision 2 months ago, browsed this forum over and over.
Then, i was looking for a headphone that i could use at home and on the go. 
Since i didn't find anything to my taste, i decided to go for IEM's and picked up a Sennheiser IE80.
It was great, especially the soundstage was very good. But the isolation was indeed somewhat lacking.

I lost the IEM 2 weeks after my purchase, silly me...

I decided i'm going to stick to home use, as i tend to not take care of my stuff that well.

I listen mostly to all electronic genres, mainly techno and dub. 
The denon D2000 seems great but now they sell for 400 euros ???
2 months back they were priced at 225...

If anyone finds a good denon D2000 deal in europe, let me know.
Otherwise what else is there for me?

A beyer + a fiio?
Is the AKG Q701 good for my genre?

I did a quick google search for denon d2000 and it seems you can find them around 220£ (269€ / 356$). Which is not that bad considering that is the normal US price.

But Q701 is damn expensive in EU. It costs about 230£ (282€ / 374$). In US the same headphone can be bought around 154£ (189€ / 250$).

Also I'd like to mention that if you buy the Q701 your budget is gone and you don't have money for an amp (assuming you don't already have one), which Q701 really needs. So remember to leave room for an amp when shopping for headphones. Or look for easy to drive headphones that don't really need an amp.

EDIT: AKG K550 seems to cost 153£ (190€ / 250$). Doesn't necessarily need an amp, but something cheap like Fiio E10 amp/dac does fit in your 250€ budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back