++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 19, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #12,256 of 29,490
Hello everyone. I have a 400$ or so budget and would like suggestions for my first open headphones.

I've done research and I'm looking to spend no more than 250-275$ on headphones and no more than 150-200$ on amp, a better price - to - performance ratio is preferred.

These 5 songs summarize my music preference. (I like everything but country! Primarily hip hop, rock, jazz, classic, electronica)

http://youtu.be/zoOqNVTCtzI
http://youtu.be/dFUUTE58nDQ
http://youtu.be/z-3pi0qLntQ
http://youtu.be/ZZwUQNiqsRE
http://youtu.be/Xcs3OwrkcR4

From what I've read, I'm thrilled about DT 880 Pro 250 ohm and AKG Q701 which are about 250$. But I can only afford one of them.

No idea what amp would go with either of them. Suggestions and advice is welcome! Thanks everyone.
P.S. I like gaming & movies with headphones as well as these headphones will be connected to my computer :)

Feb 19, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #12,258 of 29,490
So I currently use Earsonics SM3's as my main IEM but am considering branching out a little bit. I'm interested in another triple driver IEM. I love my SM3's so something with a similar sig would be nice. Not exactly the same but similar. A large soundstage, detailed imaging, separation, and speed are what I'm after. I'm leaning towards either the Shure SE535's or the Westone UM3X.

What do you guys think?

Feb 19, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #12,261 of 29,490
DAC/Amp: Hrt MS II/ Undecided
Music: Rap, Dubstep, Hardstyle, Orchestra

- Needs to have decent isolation.
- Closed.
- Must be a good do-it-all headphones with amazing bass, great mids, and at least decent treble.
- $400 used max.

I was looking into D5000's, but the thing is I can't tell a difference between 128kps and 320kps (I don't have trained ears at all, and some of my music is in 128kps), so I wonder if spending like $400 on them is really worth it since I'm not gonna have any music in FLAC/320kps format.

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #12,262 of 29,490

Quote:

Sorry, I must have missed it. Can you repost it?

No problem here you go, thanks again :)

Hi to everyone! and sorry about my english, ill try haha.

If someone can help me with this i'll really appreciate it :) 

I'm trying to buy something at 150 - 200 range mainly for house-travel listening, the source would be an iPod nano, and i mostly listen to 80s-90s pop (Men At Work, The Outfield, etc.), hard rock (Guns N Roses, Scorpions, WhiteSnake and classic like Zeppelin and Pink Floyd), metal (Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Helloween, Stratovarius, Metallica) and some new pop-house.

Here is the problem:

Since christmas i got curious about beats and stuff, since everyone said they were awesome, i checked out a bit and found that beats aren't worth the price... well, the problem is that i tried the solos and they sounded great for me (i liked how deep the music was, not only bass... since everyone likes that haha) then i tried the sennheiser 515 and dam, i got dissapointed, (both had same source ipod nano touch at bestbuy haha no amps or anything) i felt like when you listen to some old radio or when theres radio interference...i dont know how to explain, it just sounded bad for me somewhat "dry" :frowning2: so i'm wondering if all of sennheiser's products have the same type of sound? or is it just that model? maybe it's great for most people but i don't like that sound.

That sennhesier and beats experience and doubts were to explain in this part that i like a "warm" sound and beats did it for me when i tried them, hence why i didn't like sennheiser's "dry" sound (if there's a problem with the 515s maybe thats the reason why i felt beats had a punchy and warm sound), i wonder if you know of what i'm talking about when i say i like a "colorful" sound, like (to a quick and what most people who likes metal will know reference) on Metallica's Master Of Puppets album they got a punchy guitar sound and bass lines sounded clear and heavy, while drums were strong and vocals were more rough but clear than the past albums, all together pulled out a full sound of good rich bass from guitars and bass, clear highs on harmonies, guitar leads and great kicks on drums just an example, if you heard some songs of that album you will get it, and if you dont mayeb you get the idea haha.

Again, thanks in advance if anynoe can help me with this :)

Feb 20, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #12,263 of 29,490
I usually use full size headphones but i prefer watching movies with canalphones as i don't have to sacrifce comfortable sitting/lying down positions to avoid the headphones slipping off or feeling uncomfortable, etc... plus you don't have to worry about things like sound leakage and not enough isolation and whatnot...
My current pair are the Vsonic Gr02 but i find them to sound too muddy and slow for movies.
When they die one day (i've had them for a little while) I want to get a new pair for watching movies mainly, but also music on my iPod, I'm looking for more of a flat sound and overall better sound than the Vsonic Gr02, comfortable, easy to drive, hardly any leak, Flat sound (not muddy or overpowering bass) and don't make that loud, distracting annoying bumping sound when you walk around with them in your ears...

I'm considering the Brainwavz: M1  looking for more of a flat, clear sound from the Gr02 as i mentioned before...
Also how do they compare to the ATH-M50?
Thank you for reading my long, nooby post.

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #12,265 of 29,490

Quote:
No problem here you go, thanks again :)

Hi to everyone! and sorry about my english, ill try haha.

If someone can help me with this i'll really appreciate it :) 

I'm trying to buy something at 150 - 200 range mainly for house-travel listening, the source would be an iPod nano, and i mostly listen to 80s-90s pop (Men At Work, The Outfield, etc.), hard rock (Guns N Roses, Scorpions, WhiteSnake and classic like Zeppelin and Pink Floyd), metal (Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Helloween, Stratovarius, Metallica) and some new pop-house.

Here is the problem:

Since christmas i got curious about beats and stuff, since everyone said they were awesome, i checked out a bit and found that beats aren't worth the price... well, the problem is that i tried the solos and they sounded great for me (i liked how deep the music was, not only bass... since everyone likes that haha) then i tried the sennheiser 515 and dam, i got dissapointed, (both had same source ipod nano touch at bestbuy haha no amps or anything) i felt like when you listen to some old radio or when theres radio interference...i dont know how to explain, it just sounded bad for me somewhat "dry" :frowning2: so i'm wondering if all of sennheiser's products have the same type of sound? or is it just that model? maybe it's great for most people but i don't like that sound.

That sennhesier and beats experience and doubts were to explain in this part that i like a "warm" sound and beats did it for me when i tried them, hence why i didn't like sennheiser's "dry" sound (if there's a problem with the 515s maybe thats the reason why i felt beats had a punchy and warm sound), i wonder if you know of what i'm talking about when i say i like a "colorful" sound, like (to a quick and what most people who likes metal will know reference) on Metallica's Master Of Puppets album they got a punchy guitar sound and bass lines sounded clear and heavy, while drums were strong and vocals were more rough but clear than the past albums, all together pulled out a full sound of good rich bass from guitars and bass, clear highs on harmonies, guitar leads and great kicks on drums just an example, if you heard some songs of that album you will get it, and if you dont mayeb you get the idea haha.

Again, thanks in advance if anynoe can help me with this :)

I'd start by checking out the Beyer DT 770 Pros (closed) and DT 880 Pro (open), along with the Ultrasone HFI 780 (closed).  Grados with the bass you want are outside of your budget.

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #12,266 of 29,490

Quote:

I understand that these are three different model, time where my headphones have to following me around is now behind me.

I plan to use them only at home in a quiet environment.
no external use, or studio this time.

I will treat them as baby

I research this time, a brilliant sound quality and more refined that'll play well electronic music, so bass should be good  but will also be able to play classic, in short, a bit of everything ...

I really listen all musical style, and I guess it is dificult to find the right headphone.

Here I find it dificult to find and test different models before buying this is why I ask here.

Stores by only keeps the popular brand and I'm tired that the only suggestion they have is Beat Monster, Bose and Sony.
It's like shopping for a Rolex watch and everyone tries to sell you a timex.^^

Finding another pair for studio is not a problemit's just not the goal this time although the M50 sounds very well.

I also apologize if some of you getting hard time to understand me. English is not my native language and i dont have much time to practice either.

thx.

Hyk

I'll make some suggestions about good all around phones--or at least some that I think are good.  From your list the Senns and AT are good phones, although I find the AT A900 a bit picky with regard to what drives it to give you its best sound (I don't know one way or another about your amp)--despite the fact that is very efficient.  The Grados are a bad all around choice for you.

AKG Q 701--excellent clarity and detail.  The trade-off is that they are a little bass volume shy.

Beyer DT 770 Pro--Strong bass and bright.

Beyer DT 880 Pro--more expensive than the 770's, but generally considered to be the best Beyer in the 770/880/990 class and price range.

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #12,267 of 29,490
Hello everyone,

I am in the market for new headphones so I would appreciate any advice you could give me.  I don't have a lot of expensive equipment to drive them and I want to be able to use them on the road.  I am looking for the best audio quality I possibly can have.  Frequently, I will only be using an ipod or my android phone (galaxy s2) as a source.  I don't think I want to get involved with portable amplifiers or anything like that.  At home though, I want to be able to listen to them on my computer through an external DAC.  

The kinds of music I listen to are rock, some hip hop, reggae, r&b, soul, and even some classical.  I am kind of a bass head, but not overly so.  I like headphones that produce tight, defined bass and can reproduce even the most bass heavy music well.  I don't just want a high quantity of bass, I would like "detailed" bass and accurate bass.  I also don't want to sacrifice detail and midrange.  I want the phones to have a great degree of detail and be able to reproduce classical or acoustic recordings very accurately.  

I can spend up to $500.  I would prefer if you could give options around $300, but please let me know of the best up to around $500.

Thanks.

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #12,268 of 29,490

Quote:
I usually use full size headphones but i prefer watching movies with canalphones as i don't have to sacrifce comfortable sitting/lying down positions to avoid the headphones slipping off or feeling uncomfortable, etc... plus you don't have to worry about things like sound leakage and not enough isolation and whatnot...
My current pair are the Vsonic Gr02 but i find them to sound too muddy and slow for movies.
When they die one day (i've had them for a little while) I want to get a new pair for watching movies mainly, but also music on my iPod, I'm looking for more of a flat sound and overall better sound than the Vsonic Gr02, comfortable, easy to drive, hardly any leak, Flat sound (not muddy or overpowering bass) and don't make that loud, distracting annoying bumping sound when you walk around with them in your ears...

I'm considering the Brainwavz: M1  looking for more of a flat, clear sound from the Gr02 as i mentioned before...
Also how do they compare to the ATH-M50?
Thank you for reading my long, nooby post.

Since you posted this in the full size headphone section of the forum, I'll suggest the very neutral BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones.

Can't say I know much about the in the ear models you mentioned.

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #12,269 of 29,490
Been doing a lot of reading and have a pretty good idea of what I want but some advice is always great.

Budget pc gaming - creative live

$100 music and gaming for rocksmith - denon 1100

Portable easy to drive with some bass - ultrasone 700

I wanted the ultrasone myself for a neutral headphone with some extra bass and to see what s logic is like. So im not looking for bass monster like the pro 900 or dt 770 pro 80.

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #12,270 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I am in the market for new headphones so I would appreciate any advice you could give me.  I don't have a lot of expensive equipment to drive them and I want to be able to use them on the road.  I am looking for the best audio quality I possibly can have.  Frequently, I will only be using an ipod or my android phone (galaxy s2) as a source.  I don't think I want to get involved with portable amplifiers or anything like that.  At home though, I want to be able to listen to them on my computer through an external DAC.  

The kinds of music I listen to are rock, some hip hop, reggae, r&b, soul, and even some classical.  I am kind of a bass head, but not overly so.  I like headphones that produce tight, defined bass and can reproduce even the most bass heavy music well.  I don't just want a high quantity of bass, I would like "detailed" bass and accurate bass.  I also don't want to sacrifice detail and midrange.  I want the phones to have a great degree of detail and be able to reproduce classical or acoustic recordings very accurately.  

I can spend up to $500.  I would prefer if you could give options around $300, but please let me know of the best up to around $500.

Thanks.

It appears that you want quality low impedance cans that fold up for travel.  Assuming that is all true, you probably should look at the Shure SRH940 or maybe the Sony MDR-7520.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back