++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 20, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #12,286 of 29,490

Quote:

Thanks for answering
well i can't find shure to buy in local store, i should get them from ebay. but i can buy creative at shop nearby me. what do you mean by saying pure sound? which cans you think have more bass / deeper mids? (i don't think highs are very important in electronic music, or am i wrong?) and how the CAL perform in games? and i found some more at my price (i haven't found almost any info about these in this forum): audio technica ath-t500, sennheiser 429/449(i read that older generation 448 was more for clasical music, so probably i'll just skip this)

For your reference, I'm primarily a U.S. roots music guy, covering from blue grass, rockabilly, country to blues with a heavy emphasis on early and classic rock.  I generally use a Senn HD 437 with my computer for all purposes, including games.  But almost all my music is on CD and vinyl.  I have only used the CAL and Shure with CDs and HD radio.

The CAL just do everything well for their price range--frequency response high to low, clarity, balance and a sweet sound.  They are a slightly improved clone of the much loved Denon AH-D1001.  They are the best sub entry level audiophile level phone of which I know. 

The Shure srh440 is designed for the studio and is better at being analytical, but less good at music enjoyment.

Here are some professional reviews that can give you a fuller picture (as well as other perspectives):

CAL:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/headphones/creative-aurvana-live-headphones-review

Shure:

http://www.headphonereviewcentral.com/headphone-reviews/shure-srh440

Feb 20, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #12,287 of 29,490
I was almost completely sold on the M50 but then i heard that although they're great headphones, the bass is slightly soft and the usual criticism of the soundstage..
I just saw the Beyerdynamic DT440..is that any good compared to the M50? Also what about the ultrasone HFi 580 and DJ1..oh and the AKG 242HD..

I mainly intend to use them for music (hip-hop, rap, abit of dubstep and whichever genre Coldplay falls into..but if they're good enough, i might also use them for FPS gaming, for which i need a good directional audio..BTW I would like something that i can go on a walk with :)
Im considering getting the SteelSeries 7H for the gaming and it'll cost me about $150 and although it does music, its not great at it.
Can someone tell me how good the 7H is with the named genres of music?
Also is it worth getting the 7H AND the M50 for my needs or is there something that does both with a similar price tag?

i'm in Aus and because there aren't many audio stores where i live (Melbourne), i have to get them off eBay, where these headphones are all about $160..

Hope you can help,
Cheers mate, Abz :)

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #12,290 of 29,490
Does anyone have any experience with Pioneer headphones? Or, the Pioneer SE-MJ551's to be more specific? I'm a little bit interested in these but I can't find any information at all. I listen to everything from classical to hiphop to rock so I want to know if these would fit those requirements, also the earcups look a little small which I can't stand in terms of comfort. 

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #12,291 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi everybody!

Anybody here could give me more info on the new focal spirit one headphones?? I would like to know about its sound quality, and i have found close to zero info out there.

Thanks for any help i get

Sorry, can't help you there... Maybe you could take one for the team by buying a pair and reporting back? 
tongue.gif

Quote:
Hello, I've been going back and forth and I still can't find the best cans for myself.
Requirements:
- very comfortable
- open design
- 150$ - 250$ (at Europe prices). cheaper is better 
- mostly for rock and vocal music

Will be driving them through Fiio E10. I have been looking at hd558/hd598 but I'm afraid of the lack of the bass (not a basshead though).

Also I'm willing to buy second hand if the phones meet the requirements and can be shipped to EU.

If you're looking at open cans, I don't think you'll find anything with significantly more bass than the 558/598s. From everything I've read, they should work for all of your genres, and pair well with your E10.

Quote:
Hello, i am looking for some headphones under the $200 range. I listen to Electro, house, and Cumbia. So they should have a decently good amount of bass.And i will be using with my mp3 player.Thank you.

HFI580, HD25-1, etc.

Quote:
I don't know if I'm at the right thread here, because I don't want too big headphones like my sony xb-700. I want smaller and cheaper headphones, I'm gonna spend max 50 euros on them because I've already paid enough for the xb-700. I'm just gonna wear the headphones outside, so on the bike or in class or any other place that's not home. I'm gonna use the headphones with my Cowon J3. Does anyone have suggestions for me please?
thanks!

AKG K81?

Quote:

I understand that these are three different model, time where my headphones have to following me around is now behind me.

I plan to use them only at home in a quiet environment.
no external use, or studio this time.

I will treat them as baby

I research this time, a brilliant sound quality and more refined that'll play well electronic music, so bass should be good  but will also be able to play classic, in short, a bit of everything ...

I really listen all musical style, and I guess it is dificult to find the right headphone.

Here I find it dificult to find and test different models before buying this is why I ask here.

Stores by only keeps the popular brand and I'm tired that the only suggestion they have is Beat Monster, Bose and Sony.
It's like shopping for a Rolex watch and everyone tries to sell you a timex.^^

Finding another pair for studio is not a problemit's just not the goal this time although the M50 sounds very well.

I also apologize if some of you getting hard time to understand me. English is not my native language and i dont have much time to practice either.

thx.

Hyk

Yeah, HD598 sounds like it fits the bill.

Quote:
Hi everyone!

These will be my first high quality (relative to what I have now) headphones, so I need to be sure I have a good setup. What I listen to:

40% Music (very wide range, but I'm not a basshead. No dubstep. Hard rock or light hip hop is probably the most bass-intensive I get). 
40% Games (not FPS - mostly action and strategy)
10% Movies (well-rounded set, with a lean toward action)

From my research, the AD700 seems standard and a good starting point. $100-$150 USD is my range for headphones, possibly $200 if they're THAT much better. Is that my best bet? I also need a soundcard for my PC (I hear the headphone jack won't do justice). Being new, I didn't plan to invest much. I was thinking Xonar DG. Is there a better entry level card (or one that will last)? I'm also looking at the FiiO E5 (reviews I read say E5 is warmer than E6, which may help slightly with the bass. I hear overall the E6 is better, so I'm not positive what to do here). If I would be better off asking about the E5/DG somewhere else, I can ask in a different subforum.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I think the AD700 might be basslight even for rock... Also, since it's open, you won't be able to use them outside at all. However, if you're going to be exclusively at home, maybe the Senn HD558 could work. Closed options would be the standard M50, HFI780, etc. The E5/E6 won't do much as far as amping goes, as they're pretty underpowered. Might as well save up for the E11 or something.

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #12,292 of 29,490

Quote:
I was almost completely sold on the M50 but then i heard that although they're great headphones, the bass is slightly soft and the usual criticism of the soundstage..
I just saw the Beyerdynamic DT440..is that any good compared to the M50? Also what about the ultrasone HFi 580 and DJ1..oh and the AKG 242HD..

I mainly intend to use them for music (hip-hop, rap, abit of dubstep and whichever genre Coldplay falls into..but if they're good enough, i might also use them for FPS gaming, for which i need a good directional audio..BTW I would like something that i can go on a walk with
smily_headphones1.gif

Im considering getting the SteelSeries 7H for the gaming and it'll cost me about $150 and although it does music, its not great at it.
Can someone tell me how good the 7H is with the named genres of music?
Also is it worth getting the 7H AND the M50 for my needs or is there something that does both with a similar price tag?
i'm in Aus and because there aren't many audio stores where i live (Melbourne), i have to get them off eBay, where these headphones are all about $160..

Hope you can help,
Cheers mate, Abz
smily_headphones1.gif

This may be helpful.. http://www.head-fi.org/t/581451/australian-headphone-retailers-and-reputations-listing

Feb 21, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #12,294 of 29,490
I am planning to buy new phones to home, currently owning older model of DT-880 which I like but now I want someting bit different and I am too lazy to carry those cans every day from work to back home so I need new ones. :). I have been checking DT-990 pro and 2005 edition (prices around 150€ and 250€). Also I am really intrested of that Hifiman HE-400 (~350€). Just wondering are those HE-400 so much better than 990Pro? Price difference is really signifficant here. I have heard DT-990 2005 editions and I liked the sound, but I dont have change to try those hifimans. What about HE-4 vs HE-400? Price is 'almost' identical, whats the difference?

Feb 21, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #12,295 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello everyone. I have a 400$ or so budget and would like suggestions for my first open headphones.

I've done research and I'm looking to spend no more than 250-275$ on headphones and no more than 150-200$ on amp, a better price - to - performance ratio is preferred.

These 5 songs summarize my music preference. (I like everything but country! Primarily hip hop, rock, jazz, classic, electronica)

http://youtu.be/zoOqNVTCtzI
http://youtu.be/dFUUTE58nDQ
http://youtu.be/z-3pi0qLntQ
http://youtu.be/ZZwUQNiqsRE
http://youtu.be/Xcs3OwrkcR4

From what I've read, I'm thrilled about DT 880 Pro 250 ohm and AKG Q701 which are about 250$. But I can only afford one of them.

No idea what amp would go with either of them. Suggestions and advice is welcome! Thanks everyone.
P.S. I like gaming & movies with headphones as well as these headphones will be connected to my computer :)

I think the Q701/E17 combo might work for you. Great soundstage for gaming, and excellent for jazz, etc.

Quote:
Do the Sony MDR-ZX700's leak sound?

Not enough to be annoying

Quote:
So I currently use Earsonics SM3's as my main IEM but am considering branching out a little bit. I'm interested in another triple driver IEM. I love my SM3's so something with a similar sig would be nice. Not exactly the same but similar. A large soundstage, detailed imaging, separation, and speed are what I'm after. I'm leaning towards either the Shure SE535's or the Westone UM3X.

What do you guys think?

Well, I honestly don't see the point in getting another pair of top-tier IEMs you know will sound the same as your current ones. You'd be better off getting a pair that complements what you have now, and lets you see what's out there in terms of sound signature. That being said, maybe something more analytical like the EX1000, Etymotics, or RE-272. Or something fun like the FX700s.

Quote:

Looks legit, though it's over now.

Quote:
hey guys im trying to decide from the Sony XB500s and the Audio Technica ATH-M50s. im a bit of a basshead and didnt know if the m50s can handle heavy dubstep. thanks

M50s trump the XB500s all over, though they are about triple the price. For bassheads, I'd say check out the Ultrasone HFI580s.

Quote:
DAC/Amp: Hrt MS II/ Undecided
Music: Rap, Dubstep, Hardstyle, Orchestra

- Needs to have decent isolation.
- Closed.
- Must be a good do-it-all headphones with amazing bass, great mids, and at least decent treble.
- $400 used max.

I was looking into D5000's, but the thing is I can't tell a difference between 128kps and 320kps (I don't have trained ears at all, and some of my music is in 128kps), so I wonder if spending like $400 on them is really worth it since I'm not gonna have any music in FLAC/320kps format.

Maybe the D2000 will work as well, especially if you don't have a good amp. 

Quote:
No problem here you go, thanks again :)

Hi to everyone! and sorry about my english, ill try haha.

If someone can help me with this i'll really appreciate it :) 

I'm trying to buy something at 150 - 200 range mainly for house-travel listening, the source would be an iPod nano, and i mostly listen to 80s-90s pop (Men At Work, The Outfield, etc.), hard rock (Guns N Roses, Scorpions, WhiteSnake and classic like Zeppelin and Pink Floyd), metal (Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Helloween, Stratovarius, Metallica) and some new pop-house.

Here is the problem:

Since christmas i got curious about beats and stuff, since everyone said they were awesome, i checked out a bit and found that beats aren't worth the price... well, the problem is that i tried the solos and they sounded great for me (i liked how deep the music was, not only bass... since everyone likes that haha) then i tried the sennheiser 515 and dam, i got dissapointed, (both had same source ipod nano touch at bestbuy haha no amps or anything) i felt like when you listen to some old radio or when theres radio interference...i dont know how to explain, it just sounded bad for me somewhat "dry" :frowning2: so i'm wondering if all of sennheiser's products have the same type of sound? or is it just that model? maybe it's great for most people but i don't like that sound.

That sennhesier and beats experience and doubts were to explain in this part that i like a "warm" sound and beats did it for me when i tried them, hence why i didn't like sennheiser's "dry" sound (if there's a problem with the 515s maybe thats the reason why i felt beats had a punchy and warm sound), i wonder if you know of what i'm talking about when i say i like a "colorful" sound, like (to a quick and what most people who likes metal will know reference) on Metallica's Master Of Puppets album they got a punchy guitar sound and bass lines sounded clear and heavy, while drums were strong and vocals were more rough but clear than the past albums, all together pulled out a full sound of good rich bass from guitars and bass, clear highs on harmonies, guitar leads and great kicks on drums just an example, if you heard some songs of that album you will get it, and if you dont mayeb you get the idea haha.

Again, thanks in advance if anynoe can help me with this :)

M50, HFI580/780, HD25-1, M80, etc will give you a fun signature similar to the Beats. (but better, obviously 
wink.gif
)

Quote:
I usually use full size headphones but i prefer watching movies with canalphones as i don't have to sacrifce comfortable sitting/lying down positions to avoid the headphones slipping off or feeling uncomfortable, etc... plus you don't have to worry about things like sound leakage and not enough isolation and whatnot...
My current pair are the Vsonic Gr02 but i find them to sound too muddy and slow for movies.
When they die one day (i've had them for a little while) I want to get a new pair for watching movies mainly, but also music on my iPod, I'm looking for more of a flat sound and overall better sound than the Vsonic Gr02, comfortable, easy to drive, hardly any leak, Flat sound (not muddy or overpowering bass) and don't make that loud, distracting annoying bumping sound when you walk around with them in your ears...

I'm considering the Brainwavz: M1  looking for more of a flat, clear sound from the Gr02 as i mentioned before...
Also how do they compare to the ATH-M50?
Thank you for reading my long, nooby post.

First of all, budget? Second, the M50s aren't all that neutral, so anything that fits your description will have less bass than the M50s, probably, and more prominent mids. Speed and muddiness will depend on budget. I could just list every IEM from every price range, but it will be much easier if you just name a price.  
tongue.gif

Quote:
Are the Philips SHL5500/SHL5800 any good?

Haven't heard too much about them, but I've seen some positive impressions on them, and they certainly look nice.

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I am in the market for new headphones so I would appreciate any advice you could give me.  I don't have a lot of expensive equipment to drive them and I want to be able to use them on the road.  I am looking for the best audio quality I possibly can have.  Frequently, I will only be using an ipod or my android phone (galaxy s2) as a source.  I don't think I want to get involved with portable amplifiers or anything like that.  At home though, I want to be able to listen to them on my computer through an external DAC.  

The kinds of music I listen to are rock, some hip hop, reggae, r&b, soul, and even some classical.  I am kind of a bass head, but not overly so.  I like headphones that produce tight, defined bass and can reproduce even the most bass heavy music well.  I don't just want a high quantity of bass, I would like "detailed" bass and accurate bass.  I also don't want to sacrifice detail and midrange.  I want the phones to have a great degree of detail and be able to reproduce classical or acoustic recordings very accurately.  

I can spend up to $500.  I would prefer if you could give options around $300, but please let me know of the best up to around $500.

Thanks.

Ultrasone HFI580/780, HD 25-1, M80, D2000, V-Moda LP2, etc.How portable do you need them?

Quote:
Been doing a lot of reading and have a pretty good idea of what I want but some advice is always great.
Budget pc gaming - creative live
$100 music and gaming for rocksmith - denon 1100
Portable easy to drive with some bass - ultrasone 700
I wanted the ultrasone myself for a neutral headphone with some extra bass and to see what s logic is like. So im not looking for bass monster like the pro 900 or dt 770 pro 80.

Wait, so what are you looking for and what's your budget? Also, how/where do you plan on using them?  Also, I think the HFI780 is an updated 700 (could be wrong).

Quote:
Hi guys, I was wondering which i should get: klipsch s4is or ibeats?

S4i. What's your budget though, maybe we can find you something better?

Quote:
I am wondering if there will be any noticeable drop in audio quality if I use a 2 m extension cable for my headphones, connected to a TV headphone jack. I could´t hear any, but then again it´s really hard to memorize how exactly something sounded.

The difference will be extremely minimal. Don't worry about it.

Quote:
closed headphones/headset will be using for everything: movies, games (fps and strategies), music. i'm listening to electronic music, so bass is requirement. price range: <60-80EUROS (i could expand to 80 if it's really worthy, but it's like my maximum). it would be nice to get few offers, because in my country, hi-fi isn't popular at all, but there is few shops where i could find. i was thinking about ultrasone hfi-450 and shure 440 (they're on my money limit since i'm in europe and i can find them expensive in ebay) maybe creative aurvana live. which would be better? or maybe obetter offers? 

thanks in advance

I think the CAL! might be better for all-around use.

Quote:
Hi, I forgot the existence of this thread, btw this would be far from being my first purchase

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596987/need-advice-low-impedance-full-size-headphone-for-portable-use-also-no-m-50-please

If the willing ones can help me :D

Maybe the HM5 or HFi780?

Quote:
Hello again,

after a few days I decided to raise my budget to 100 EUR instead of 50 because I fell in love with the Sennheiser PX 360.

What do you think about them?

Using headphones mainly on the outdoor, needing the highest portability, a pouch in which to store them, a short cable, a model built to resist, a nice look, and listening to mainly rock \ blues \ progressive \ metal music, do you think that this would be the best choice for me?

Thank you in advance for your opinions

Don't know a lot about the PX360, but they seem to fit your requirements well. Another option would be the Ultrasone HFI780.

Quote:

@PurpleAngel
Tjanks so much for the info.  For some reason I can't find it a penny less than $179.96, which is quite a difference.  I know sometimes resellers are not allowed to quote lower prices, but none of the sites I've seen have "Call us for price" like they used to with the HD555.  Are there still some sites selling the HD558's for $150-160?  If so, I'll just get those.

A DAC would be fun, but I don't think they're in my budget right now.  I have lots of upgrades to toys I've been thinking of buying, and it gets harder to justify going from a $60 pair of headphones to a $200 + $100 setup when I need a DAC.  So I think I'll stay with easy-driven headphones for now.

@50an6xy06r6n
Thanks!  Seems like all headphone prices I've seen lately are higher.  I wonder if there's some materials-supply affect, like with harddrive prices lately?  Whatever the reason, I'm surprised that they've increased so much without any discounts to find.  I do think the HD558's are what I want, I'm just surprised that the price is so high at the moment.  If I could find them for a little less, I'd just buy them.

Anyone else - am I looking in the wrong places, or is $180 the lowest price for HD558's right now?  Thanks.

There may be some coupons on the deals thread, but yeah, they're going for $180 atm.

Quote:
How are the AKG K172HD?
How is the sound quality compared to K518?

Sorry, no clue. My guess is more neutral and a bigger soundstage, but I have absolutely no grounds for that statement. 
tongue.gif

Quote:
Does anyone have any experience with Pioneer headphones? Or, the Pioneer SE-MJ551's to be more specific? I'm a little bit interested in these but I can't find any information at all. I listen to everything from classical to hiphop to rock so I want to know if these would fit those requirements, also the earcups look a little small which I can't stand in terms of comfort. 

Never heard of them. I think the Koss DJ100 fits your requirements pretty well though.

Feb 21, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #12,296 of 29,490

Quote:
I am planning to buy new phones to home, currently owning older model of DT-880 which I like but now I want someting bit different and I am too lazy to carry those cans every day from work to back home so I need new ones. :). I have been checking DT-990 pro and 2005 edition (prices around 150€ and 250€). Also I am really intrested of that Hifiman HE-400 (~350€). Just wondering are those HE-400 so much better than 990Pro? Price difference is really signifficant here. I have heard DT-990 2005 editions and I liked the sound, but I dont have change to try those hifimans. What about HE-4 vs HE-400? Price is 'almost' identical, whats the difference?

Well, what sound are you looking for? Maybe trying something besides the Beyers wouldn't be a bad idea. I know nothing about either the 990s or the HE-400s, but you could try asking in a dedicated Hifiman or planar magnetic thread. Sorry I can't help more.

Feb 21, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #12,297 of 29,490
Hello all, 

I picked up the Shure SRH840s and am finding them sort of uncomfortable. Tight around the ears. Is some time needed to break them in? Or should I go for something like the Beyerdynamic DT250s? I don't want the bass of the DT770s....

Thanks!

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #12,298 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello all, 

I picked up the Shure SRH840s and am finding them sort of uncomfortable. Tight around the ears. Is some time needed to break them in? Or should I go for something like the Beyerdynamic DT250s? I don't want the bass of the DT770s....

Thanks!

The AKG Q 701, AKG K 702 or even the Beyer DT 880 Pro might work for you.

Feb 21, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #12,300 of 29,490
This may not be the best place to ask, but does anyone know if the Beyer DT150 headphones come with a 3.5mm jack + 6.25mm adapter or just a 6.25mm jack? I've seen conflicting evidence of each.

If just a 6.25mm, does anyone know where I can get an adapter to 3.5mm in the UK without importing one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back