++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 20, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #12,275 of 29,490
I am wondering if there will be any noticeable drop in audio quality if I use a 2 m extension cable for my headphones, connected to a TV headphone jack. I could´t hear any, but then again it´s really hard to memorize how exactly something sounded.

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #12,276 of 29,490
closed headphones/headset will be using for everything: movies, games (fps and strategies), music. i'm listening to electronic music, so bass is requirement. price range: <60-80EUROS (i could expand to 80 if it's really worthy, but it's like my maximum). it would be nice to get few offers, because in my country, hi-fi isn't popular at all, but there is few shops where i could find. i was thinking about ultrasone hfi-450 and shure 440 (they're on my money limit since i'm in europe and i can find them expensive in ebay) maybe creative aurvana live. which would be better? or maybe obetter offers? 

thanks in advance

Feb 20, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #12,277 of 29,490
Hi, I forgot the existence of this thread, btw this would be far from being my first purchase

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596987/need-advice-low-impedance-full-size-headphone-for-portable-use-also-no-m-50-please

If the willing ones can help me :D

Feb 20, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #12,278 of 29,490

Quote:
closed headphones/headset will be using for everything: movies, games (fps and strategies), music. i'm listening to electronic music, so bass is requirement. price range: <60-80EUROS (i could expand to 80 if it's really worthy, but it's like my maximum). it would be nice to get few offers, because in my country, hi-fi isn't popular at all, but there is few shops where i could find. i was thinking about ultrasone hfi-450 and shure 440 (they're on my money limit since i'm in europe and i can find them expensive in ebay) maybe creative aurvana live. which would be better? or maybe obetter offers? 

thanks in advance

I don't know about the Ultarsone, as I have only heard the HFI 780.  The Shure and CAL are both very good entry level cans.  For pure sound, I'd give the CAL the nod by a small margin.  However, if you want a durable build on a phone that folds up for travel--as well as a removable cable, go with the Shure.

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #12,280 of 29,490

Quote:
I don't know about the Ultarsone, as I have only heard the HFI 780.  The Shure and CAL are both very good entry level cans.  For pure sound, I'd give the CAL the nod by a small margin.  However, if you want a durable build on a phone that folds up for travel--as well as a removable cable, go with the Shure.

Thanks for answering
well i can't find shure to buy in local store, i should get them from ebay. but i can buy creative at shop nearby me. what do you mean by saying pure sound? which cans you think have more bass / deeper mids? (i don't think highs are very important in electronic music, or am i wrong?) and how the CAL perform in games? and i found some more at my price (i haven't found almost any info about these in this forum): audio technica ath-t500, sennheiser 429/449(i read that older generation 448 was more for clasical music, so probably i'll just skip this)

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #12,281 of 29,490

Quote:
I am wondering if there will be any noticeable drop in audio quality if I use a 2 m extension cable for my headphones, connected to a TV headphone jack. I could´t hear any, but then again it´s really hard to memorize how exactly something sounded.

Probably not at just 2 m. Plus you said you couldn't hear a difference so I think that's most important 
wink.gif

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #12,282 of 29,490
Hello again,

after a few days I decided to raise my budget to 100 EUR instead of 50 because I fell in love with the Sennheiser PX 360.

What do you think about them?

Using headphones mainly on the outdoor, needing the highest portability, a pouch in which to store them, a short cable, a model built to resist, a nice look, and listening to mainly rock \ blues \ progressive \ metal music, do you think that this would be the best choice for me?

Thank you in advance for your opinions

Feb 20, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #12,284 of 29,490

Quote:
Best price on the HD-558s is $149-$159.
The HD-555s going for $170 would be old stock that has been sitting on a shelf for years.
Or some retailer wants to sell headphones to a sucker.
AKG 7XX, DT990 and HD6XX, are not headphones you want to plug into the built in sound card on a PC's motherboard.
They need a $150 sound card or an external DAC/Headphone amplifier to sound right.

@PurpleAngel
Tjanks so much for the info.  For some reason I can't find it a penny less than $179.96, which is quite a difference.  I know sometimes resellers are not allowed to quote lower prices, but none of the sites I've seen have "Call us for price" like they used to with the HD555.  Are there still some sites selling the HD558's for $150-160?  If so, I'll just get those.

A DAC would be fun, but I don't think they're in my budget right now.  I have lots of upgrades to toys I've been thinking of buying, and it gets harder to justify going from a $60 pair of headphones to a $200 + $100 setup when I need a DAC.  So I think I'll stay with easy-driven headphones for now.

Quote:
1) I might be wrong, but I think the MSRP of the 558s is higher than the 555s were, as it's only $20 under the 598. Could be wrong though. The 558s were like $150 at one point, but they jumped up recently.
2) Maybe something like the Audio-Technica AD-700 will do it for under $100.
3) I think you might be best off just going for the 558s tbh, if you like the Sennheiser sound, and want a direct upgrade. Also, definitely go for the 558s over the 555s, as they're supposed to be a significant improvement.

@50an6xy06r6n
Thanks!  Seems like all headphone prices I've seen lately are higher.  I wonder if there's some materials-supply affect, like with harddrive prices lately?  Whatever the reason, I'm surprised that they've increased so much without any discounts to find.  I do think the HD558's are what I want, I'm just surprised that the price is so high at the moment.  If I could find them for a little less, I'd just buy them.

Anyone else - am I looking in the wrong places, or is $180 the lowest price for HD558's right now?  Thanks.

Feb 20, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #12,285 of 29,490

Quote:
Probably not at just 2 m. Plus you said you couldn't hear a difference so I think that's most important 
wink.gif

Well, after thinking about it it´s actually gotta be more around 3 m! 
I think i didn´t hear anything, but you know how it is, your mind tends to play tricks on you comparing the same scenes and listening really, really closely. Suddenly you think that it has somehow not the same power or clarity - just to think the next time you listen without the extention cable that that´s just rubbish.
That´s why I was wondering how the situation is from a technical or at least general rule of thumb view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back