++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 21, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #12,317 of 29,490

Quote:
so i read CAL is really good in games compared to other closed headphones, and i don't find any aspect where CAL is bad :D (except build quality) so cal is 1 of the best in <100$ for beginner-audiophiles :p ? i'm gonna buy CAL, 

BIG THANK YOU for all who helped me :)

Amazon seems to have the lowest price right this hour, $73.06.

Feb 21, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #12,318 of 29,490
Hello, are there any users who have listened to BeyerDynamic DTX710/910? I want some bassy circumaural headphones, i have my eyes on the sony xb500 but i understand that the mids and highs are rolled off, so i would like to know how are the BD's in general, and if they have enough bass. Tx.

Feb 21, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #12,319 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello again guys,

I've got interest in these ones

Audio Technica ATH-A700 "import"

But... Is there an Audio-Technica sound signature?

I've owned the M-50 and I did NOT like them at all. too bassy, slow and coloured.

Are these ones much different?

thanks a lot

Quote:
From what I've read, it seems like A-T has a certain signature for its non-DJ over-ear cans, that's distinct from the M50 and portable sound. I don't know a lot about the A700s, however. I think they'll tend towards balanced and have a better soundstage, however.

So... Two different sound-signatures?

thank you very much, really helpful. That's maybe the reason why I see some people here and there finding some ATs "too bright"!
confused_face_2.gif

Feb 21, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #12,321 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey I'm looking at the Cal!s (Creative Aurvana Live!). I have heard that these are pretty much the same as the D1100's, but cheaper. If anyone has the Cal!'s please tell me if they are any good and if not I am looking for a decent pair of portable, closed cans that are preferably less than $100 because I am a little tight on cash right now. Because I will be taking these EVERYWHERE, a folding design would be nice. Thanks guys.

CALs are great headphones for the current going price ($73.04 at Amazon), the CALs have the same insides as the Denon AH-D1001.

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #12,323 of 29,490
Hey all! I've been searching around for the past few days for some new headphones and after some research I decided I'd like to get the Fischer FA-011. However, they seem to be sold out at nearly all the sites listed in the review thread, barring GD Audiobase (which I've read is fairly shoddy in their service) and Noisy Motel. The link for Noisy Motel is here: http://www.noisymotel.com/product.asp?ProductID=333. However, their price plus shipping to the US lands at around $175. Are the FA-011's still a good deal at that price point or should I be looking into something else, assuming I want something similar to the FA-011 (open or closed doesn't matter too much, something fun with good soundstage). A main point of concern is how comfortable they are with glasses, as I'm upgrading from my HARX-700's because I can't really wear them with my new glasses frames. Thanks whoever is willing to help me out!

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #12,324 of 29,490

Quote:
I'd start by checking out the Beyer DT 770 Pros (closed) and DT 880 Pro (open), along with the Ultrasone HFI 780 (closed).  Grados with the bass you want are outside of your budget.

Quote:

M50, HFI580/780, HD25-1, M80, etc will give you a fun signature similar to the Beats. (but better, obviously 
wink.gif
)

Thanks guys! you really helped me a lot. :)

Feb 22, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #12,325 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey all! I've been searching around for the past few days for some new headphones and after some research I decided I'd like to get the Fischer FA-011. However, they seem to be sold out at nearly all the sites listed in the review thread, barring GD Audiobase (which I've read is fairly shoddy in their service) and Noisy Motel. The link for Noisy Motel is here: http://www.noisymotel.com/product.asp?ProductID=333. However, their price plus shipping to the US lands at around $175. Are the FA-011's still a good deal at that price point or should I be looking into something else, assuming I want something similar to the FA-011 (open or closed doesn't matter too much, something fun with good soundstage). A main point of concern is how comfortable they are with glasses, as I'm upgrading from my HARX-700's because I can't really wear them with my new glasses frames. Thanks whoever is willing to help me out!

I'd say that's average price. I got mine for about 140 from GD after shipping, but it took ages to get here. Places like iDews and Frogbeats seems to have them running about 165-175 after shipping from what others were saying. As for how they are with glasses, it depends on your frames. If your's are thin like mine, then they'll feel fine. If you have thicker frames I imagine it wouldn't be as comfortable. I can also say with thicker frames you'd lose a bit of seal around the ear so they may not quite sound as good. Mine have straight arms and hug the side of my head pretty well so they're fine with the 011s. The biggest comfort thing with them though is their shallow cups. For many people their ears touch the padding, so unless you have very flat ears expect them to touch. If that doesn't bother you like it doesn't me it'll be fine.

Also keep an eye on the for sale section here, I've seen them listed there for about $100-110 + shipping so you could save a bunch buying used. I'm debating putting mine up there because my one issue that I seem to have with them is the bass is a bit overpowering at times, depending on what's happening when I'm listening while gaming or watching movies. But I can definitely say it's a hard decision, the soundstage on these babies for the price is stellar.

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #12,327 of 29,490
Good day, first post.

I have Grado SR-80's which I use at work. I moved employer about a year ago, at the previous place we had a lot more space and most around me also listened to headphones/in ears/etc. The Grado's obviously have very poor isolation (for me and others hearing my music), I have decided (and the minister of finance, aka the wife has given the go-ahead) to go for a more isolated set of cans, they do not have to be noise cancelling. You guys (& girls) are much more experienced than me, so it seems best to ask your advice.

My budget is $100-$200, can go a little over but it would have to be significantly better. I listen to a wide variety of music, but probably mostly to acoustic, jazz, rock and some metal (weird combination I know). I like the sound of the Grado's, so I am not the biggest bass-head (I like bass but dont like to be dominated by bass). I sometimes wear eye-glasses and my head is relatively big (not massive, I wear L to XL hats, the grado SR-80's fit me fine). Size does not really matter much as I would store them in a lockable cupboard under my desk.

The main features I am looking for are:
 - durability (I use them every day all day)
 - sound quality
 - comfort (as I said this is for at work, so I will be wearing it for long stretches, at least 8 hours a day and long uninterrupted periods, so they would have to have be non-tiring)
 - looks (classy not flashy)
 - driven by a cellphone (Galaxy S/Droid RAZR/similar)

I have done some research on these forums and it seems the following are good/suitable/popular options: ATH-M50 (I see you get different versions, do they sound different, help!), Shure SRH-840 (looks less popular of late), Shure SRH750DJ (looks quite popular, I dont mind the fact that they are designed for DJs as long as they tick the boxes), Ultrasone HFi 780, Beyerdynamic DT770 (can these be driven by a cellphone?, also heard some have issues with internal wiring, worth worying about), Pioneer HDJ-2000 (a bit more expensive but I saw a glowing review comparing them with the SRH840 & ATH-M50's), any other suggestions, which would/did you choose and why?

I dont really have any brand preference, a friend has Sennheisers but his are cheap ones and I was not impressed by them (cannot remember the series, but I prefer my grado's way more than his). (also please no Beats or Bose)

Any help for such a relative newbie would be much appreciated!

Feb 22, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #12,329 of 29,490
Greetings folks,

Looking for some unusual advice, and figured I'd ask here before starting a thread.

I have been trying to find a headphones/mic solution which can offer good external attenuation, good mic noise rejection, and compatibility with smartphones / computers / cordless phones.

Constraints:
- Budget of up to $750 USD for the perfect unit, prefer to spend less of course.
- Dynamic environment, lots of removing and putting on the headset. I had considered in-ears like Shure SE535s with inline mic but they take care when fitting which may make them less favourable.
- Long wear comfort is a must. I do not like headphones which sit on the ear, or earbuds. I had a pair of Sennheiser HD600s for a long time, and they are my standard for comfort and fidelity.
- Connection to computer/smartphones are accomplished with a four pole 3.5mm TRS plug. Connection to cordless phones must use a three pole 2.5mm TRS plug. I'm happy to build a connector or a converter however, the signal has to be compatible (no phantom power...). See below for pinout details.
- I would prefer something with ANR+PNR type cancellation. Ideally attenuate high frequency noise passively and low frequency noise actively. Each technology focusing on what it does best. However, ANR is not a requirement if a sufficiently good PNR device can be found.
- No phantom power/mic bias means a dynamic mic is required. No condenser/electret mic can be used.
- Lots of ambient noise in some environments, so I am concerned about an inline or omni mic's ability to do noise rejection, obviously a boom mic has a big advantage in such environments.

Applications:
The reason I am looking for such a versatile piece of kit, is that I want to buy once and deploy across several usage models. The three primaries are below.

- At work I spend time both in a noisy office doing comms work, in loud server rooms doing comms/maintenance, and on top of cellular towers with lots of wind noise. The ambient noise spans the spectrum from a low hum to screeches. I need to be able to hear the person on the other end accurately and clearly, and they need to be able to hear me. This comms type can be either a cell phone, or a cordless phone, depending on the location.
- My commute is on the train, and I would appreciate being able to block out the train noise and general conversation noise and listen to music at a comfortable volume. I don't expect it to be as good as my HD600s, but decent fidelity would be nice. The possibility of a phone call also exists and I would like to speak at a quiet volume and still be heard.
- This would also be my gaming headset at home. For things like Vent and Skype. Obviously this is not a demanding usage model, but worth including. If it is good at the other things, it should excel here.

I have done extensive research on many channels. Avionics headsets such as the Telex Stratus 50D and Beyerdynamic Signum HS400 seemed promising, except they use an electret mic. I have contemplated replacing that mic with a dynamic but would rather not. Pilot USA and David Clark both sell a military grade avionics headset which has a dynamic boom mic and ANR. They are expensive, and I am concerned about speaker fidelity as they are dedicated comms headsets. I tried on a broadcast headset, the Sennheiser HMD 280 Pro, and it had nowhere near enough noise attenuation.

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks, Julian

Four Pole 3.5mm TRS Plug: http://pinoutsguide.com/HeadsetsHeadphones/blackberry_9700_headset_pinout.shtml
Three Pole 2.5mm TRS Plug: http://pinouts.ru/HeadsetsHeadphones/cellphone_headset_pinout.shtml

Feb 22, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #12,330 of 29,490
hmm..because i still dont know what to get..i'll try once more..

I'm after :
 something thats good for hip-hop, rap, dubstep and whichever category Coldplay falls into.
 something thats good for FPS gaming, thus needs sufficient bass for the explosions yet so that i can still hear the footsteps and directions..
 something portable so that i can wear it outside, on buses, trains, planes and so on..
 something that can run off my phone and at times, my computer (via the 3.5mm jack, obviously)..

I originally had a budget of $150 AUD but after being recommended the M50, which costs $160~ on eBay and does not meet the gaming criteria, i have decided to put it up to $200. I doubt that a $50 increase will mean much but i'll try going a bit higher if it means i get what i want..
And you might know the SteelSeries 7H "gaming" headset..thats also about $150. Its should meet the gaming requirements but does anyone know how it'll do with music?

Hopefully this is a bit more precise that my previous help requests..
Cheers guys, Abz :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back