++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 23, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #11,281 of 29,490
Hey all,

New to Head-Fi and i came on here to seek your guidance! :D

Basically im looking for a set of headphones that sound great for both music and gaming. I play Counter Strike (Footsteps) mostly so i need accurate sounds. I do have a Asus Xonar DG sound card. I am looking for closed-back headphones and i am a bass-head but i have learned that i cant have awesome sound stage and great bass at the same time. Well thats what ive read so far. Budget is $150 and no more.

Thanks !

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #11,282 of 29,490
I haven't gotten any responses to this thread, maybe I placed it in the wrong place.  Anyone have any thoughts?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/592009/need-an-idea-for-setting-up-a-little-headphone-ht#post_8082081

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #11,283 of 29,490
Does it make sense to have both SRH940 and Q701? Or are they too similar to do similar things?

dL

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #11,284 of 29,490

Quote:
Basically im looking for a set of headphones that sound great for both music and gaming. I play Counter Strike (Footsteps) mostly so i need accurate sounds. I do have a Asus Xonar DG sound card. I am looking for closed-back headphones and i am a bass-head but i have learned that i cant have awesome sound stage and great bass at the same time. Well thats what ive read so far. Budget is $150 and no more.

KRK KNS 8400, way under your budget.

Jan 23, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #11,285 of 29,490
So I'm down to these headphones:

Shure 840
Brainwavz M4
Fischer FA-003
HFI 580
HD 250 pro

I currently have the HD555, I dont really like them much because of the open cans and the fact that they don't produce much bass (not a basshead). I listen to Rap, Hip hop, R&b, electro-pop (Owl City), trance. I will mostly use them at home, but I do want to use them to travel also, so a case and short cord (less than 3m [9 feet] ) is a PLUS. I will also be using them for light gaming (Dota 2, Battlefield 3) 
My budget is under $150ish, so if there's other great headphones please recommend them to me.

Thank you in advance. 

Jan 23, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #11,286 of 29,490

Quote:
From what I've heard, the D5000's isolation is not that great. However, ANC might not really be what you're looking for. What environments are you going to be using them in? If you want maximum isolation, maybe look into DJ-style headphones like the Sennheiser HD280, M50, or SRH840, or stuff like the Beyerdynamic DT770.

Thanks a lot for the response!

Just curious, why do you think the ANC aren't a good match? I'll probably use them on the street, in a library, in a car, on a plane, or even just home alone. My main problem is that I'm spoiled by my monster turbine pro coppers. They isolate so well even without any music playing. Add music at even 35% volume and it's near impossible for me to hear any noise. They aren't active noise cancelling and have great sound. I just want a pair of full sized headphones that sound just a bit better with a bigger soundstage but I guess I'm just completely unwilling to lose that isolation + noise cancelling combo that I have right now with the MTPCs. They also have zero leakage which I like a lot.

Any thoughts? Thanks again, much appreciated.

Jan 23, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #11,288 of 29,490

Quote:
Not worried about that lol. I've been researching more regarding the v-modas though.. and apparently the LP2's are better suited for gaming than the M80's.. despite having the same price tag. Why would anyone buy the M80's given that information?

The M80s are supposed to be much more balanced and better all-around headphones than the LPs, so your call...

Quote:
I currently have Klipsh S4's and can't get a good seal that lasts more than 10 minutes. I bought them for $50 so I can't really justify buying tips for them. What would be another good pair of headphones between $50-$100 that I can use to listen to rock, alternative rock, soul, r&b, and hip hop? I'm not a huge audiophile I just want some decent sounding IEMs that sound better than my S4's with a crappy seal. My music will either be playing out of my laptop (Dell XPS) or an iPod Touch 4G.

For that price, maybe check out the Etymotic HF5s, which are supposed to seal very well, and can be found at around $100 on Amazon (though only in blue). If you're uncomfortable with the deep insertion, maybe the A151 or PFE012 will give you a nice balance of usability and sound.

Quote:
hiya, new to full sized headphones, always use to wearing in-ear earbuds, but after returning from the ER to remove a rubber earbud piece that got lodged deep into my ear canal, I'm thinking about making a switch, lol. I'd prefer it to cover my whole ear, and not sit on my ears (which is why I never liked the outer ear models). Noise blocking would be nice, it doesn't have to be ultra fancy noise canceling or whatever, just enough so that I can't much hear anything other than my music/movie/video game/etc, and nobody can much hear the sound from it, so I'm not a disturbance, and I block out disturbances, lol. I'll be wearing them both in my cozy thin-walled dorm, and during studio class time when allowed to listen to music, so it should be relatively portable, being mostly used on a portable mp3 device or my Mac. Listened to audios range from Top 40's, Alternative Rock, Dance/Techno, Musicals/Theatrical songs, movie and video game songs, orchestra music, and also just watching Movies/TV series or playing video games. But when it comes to headphones, the two most important factors to me are comfort and sound quality, but at the same time, I'm a poor college student, so can't be spending too much, probably something under or around $200, willing to go a little higher if worth it though. So ya, any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Maybe look into the M50s and SRH 840s as well.

Quote:
bump, also now looking at Shure SRH840

Maybe look into Ultrasones too? They have this S-logic technology that enhances soundstage, though results are mixed.

Jan 23, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #11,289 of 29,490

Quote:
The M80s are supposed to be much more balanced and better all-around headphones than the LPs, so your call...

For that price, maybe check out the Etymotic HF5s, which are supposed to seal very well, and can be found at around $100 on Amazon (though only in blue). If you're uncomfortable with the deep insertion, maybe the A151 or PFE012 will give you a nice balance of usability and sound.

Maybe look into the M50s and SRH 840s as well.

Maybe look into Ultrasones too? They have this S-logic technology that enhances soundstage, though results are mixed.

Do any ultrasones compare to the hd 558 or ath m50 or srh 840?
In other words, do any ultrasones have a closed back, similar soundstage and sound quality to the hd 558, and bass from the ath m50?
From what I've gathered, the srh 840 is all of that above

Jan 23, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #11,290 of 29,490

Quote:
I listen mostly to trance, hip hop, and inception type music, with some metal in there.

I'm looking for closed headphones, with good bass (not basshead amounts), good soundstage for gaming (I play BF3/CS a lot), movies, and regular gaming such as Skyrim.

The unique aspect of my requirement is that I want to wear these to the gym; only for lifting weights, not for cardio. I don't do any lifts that make me move around a lot, so for the gym the important requirement is that they isolate noise.

I'll be using my iphone and my onboard audio from my Z68 motherboard.

My budget is $200.

I'm planning on ordering today (1/23), and so far my choices are split between Ultrasone HFI-780 ($155), and  Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro ($200), and V-Moda M-80 ($200).

I'm heavily leaning towards the 780's because they're nearly $50 cheaper with what seems to be similar bass levels, good enough soundstage for gaming, and good noise isolation. I don't see the point in paying an additional $50 for the DT 770 Pros.. however, the M-80's are more portable so I guess I'd prefer those more than the 770's.

And if there's a better option out there, can you guys please let me know? I'd prefer options that have a lot of reviews and are widely renowned for their performance.. instead of people's individual experiences with less popular headsets.

I definitely the previous comment about the DT770's size, because it's definitely not portable. The M80s might be the best portables, but the 780s might give you a bigger soundstage for gaming. I've heard that the M80s don't isolate as well as other portables, however. Perhaps look into the HD25 as well for a nice portable.

Quote:
hey m new to the headphone world nd dont know much about it. . 
Razer Orca and d Grado sr60i are two headphones that i really liked bt am confused which one to go for. . which do u believe is better?? nd do u ppl think der r any other better headphones under $100. . 
oh n i mainly listen to house n indie/electronic. . 
thank u :)

The SR60 is clearly better, but it might not work for your genres. Maybe check out the Koss DJ100 or creative Aurvana live, or even the HFI580 if you're willing to go a little over, as they sometimes drop to $110. 

Quote:
bump, also now looking at Shure SRH840

Maybe look into Ultrasones as well, because of the S-logic soundstage.

Quote:
Hey all,

Thanks !

For soundstage maybe check out the HFI580/780 because of their S-logic soundstaging. Reactions to that have been mixed, however.

Quote:
I haven't gotten any responses to this thread, maybe I placed it in the wrong place.  Anyone have any thoughts?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/592009/need-an-idea-for-setting-up-a-little-headphone-ht#post_8082081

According to Jude at least, the new Sennheiser RS220 has 6XX-series-level sound, so that might work for you. Can't give you a whole lot more than that, unfortunately, maybe wait a bit longer for responses.

Quote:
Does it make sense to have both SRH940 and Q701? Or are they too similar to do similar things?

dL

IMO, if you want 2 headphones to complement each other, that might not be the best combos. However, it also depends a bit on your preferred sound sig and musical tastes.

Quote:
So I'm down to these headphones:

Shure 840
Brainwavz M4
Fischer FA-003
HFI 580
HD 250 pro

I currently have the HD555, I dont really like them much because of the open cans and the fact that they don't produce much bass (not a basshead). I listen to Rap, Hip hop, R&b, electro-pop (Owl City), trance. I will mostly use them at home, but I do want to use them to travel also, so a case and short cord (less than 3m [9 feet] ) is a PLUS. I will also be using them for light gaming (Dota 2, Battlefield 3) 
My budget is under $150ish, so if there's other great headphones please recommend them to me.

Thank you in advance. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the M4 an IEM? Also, add the M50 to the list, though it has a 10-foot cable. If you'll be using them portably, also look into the V-moda M80, Sennheiser HD25-1, or similar headphones. The 840s and 280s also have long cables, and a couple others might as well. 

Quote:

Thanks a lot for the response!

Just curious, why do you think the ANC aren't a good match? I'll probably use them on the street, in a library, in a car, on a plane, or even just home alone. My main problem is that I'm spoiled by my monster turbine pro coppers. They isolate so well even without any music playing. Add music at even 35% volume and it's near impossible for me to hear any noise. They aren't active noise cancelling and have great sound. I just want a pair of full sized headphones that sound just a bit better with a bigger soundstage but I guess I'm just completely unwilling to lose that isolation + noise cancelling combo that I have right now with the MTPCs. They also have zero leakage which I like a lot.

Any thoughts? Thanks again, much appreciated.

AC tends to degrade the sound a bit, especially in the higher registers, and you'll pay more for the privilege. So if you don't need it, it's probably best to skip it. The only scenario you'll really need it is for absolute silence, which isn't always a good thing, and constant air travel. Otherwise, a better-isolating portable will serve your needs better. Look into the Sennheiser HD25-1, M50, HFI580, and others like that. However, IEMs will almost always have better isolation than over/on-ears.

Quote:
Hello.  I am wondering if you guys think if I should sell my V-Moda Crossfade LP's in order to get the Sennheiser HD 518's.  Are the Sennheisers' worth buying for 120 $ ?  Any help would be appreciated.

I haven't heard a whole lot about the 518s. However, if you're willing to chip in $30 more, you could get the 558s, which would definitely be an upgrade. However, it still depends on your usage scenario. Are you still planning on using them out and about? If so, consider switching to a different closed can.

Jan 23, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #11,293 of 29,490
I'm looking for a good pair of headphones to compliment my AD900s.  I had a pair of A700s and liked them, but I plan on selling them to a friend of mine, mainly because I prefer open phones for home use.  And I don't really have any need for closed phones anymore. Whenever I need closed I'm usually going somewhere and my more portable ath m35s come with me for those times.

So I'm looking for a second pair of headphones for home use.  I more just want to try out a different sound as I have all Audio Technicas right now, and even though I love them some variety would be nice.

The pair of headphones I've been interested in lately have been the AKG K701s.  But I've had a hard time finding amps that people recommend for it.  I prefer to buy anything I can off of amazon, and amazon has all the headphones but seems to really lack amps.  I was contemplating getting the FiiO E9, but I've heard it results in recessed mids.  I'm also not sure if it's sound signature is to similar to the AD900s or not to justify it.  I've heard people say that even though the sound signature is similar, the are in ways complete opposites.  So some more opinions on this headphone would be nice.  As well as any other recommendations you guys can think of. 

Jan 23, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #11,294 of 29,490

Quote:
hey guys. just wondering if i could get some advice on a pair of closed headphones for rock.

What's your price range?

Do they need to be portable?

Probably the most recommended closed back headphones for rock are the HD25-1 ii by Sennheiser. These are closed back, on ear, and can be found ~$180

Also I found the Audio Technica M50s quite good for rock music when I had them. These are larger (less portable maybe) than the HD25-1 ii, and some say they are better for a wider range of genres.

Jan 23, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #11,295 of 29,490
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the M4 an IEM? Also, add the M50 to the list, though it has a 10-foot cable. If you'll be using them portably, also look into the V-moda M80, Sennheiser HD25-1, or similar headphones. The 840s and 280s also have long cables, and a couple others might as well.

Could those cables be upgraded to short ones? I'm just looking for good headphones with short cables. I dont want to buy portables since it sounds like the soundstage/sound will be compromised. Also, by portably I mean by long car rides, airplanes, etc. Nothing like traveling by foot. 

EDIT: Sorry I meant the brainwavz HM5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back