++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 22, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #11,268 of 29,490
Hey guys.  I'm looking for an open, circumaural headphone for around $100 (for my girlfriend).  They will be un-amped, mostly powered by an iPhone.  I recently purchases Sennheiser 598's and she really enjoyed listening to those.  She listens to Rock, Metal, Alternative, Country and Blues.  I'm currently looking at 515's.

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #11,269 of 29,490
Hi, I recently ordered a pair of sennheiser hd 558 for 150, as i thought it was a steal and would be a great pair of headphones, but i recently learned that they are open(and what it means to be open along with it's consequences) and it's lacking in the bass department for genres like dubstep or heavy rock/metal

i am looking for sound quality similar to the hd 558 but with a closed circumaural design and good bass(i am willing to sacrifice some soundstage)
here is some info i thought would be important:
genres i listen to in order of preference: dubstep, eurodance(pretty much all electronic music), (hard) rock/metal, pop/hip hop/rap/r&b
audio source: my phone(htc desire, no amp) or my computer(supreme x-fi 2 built in to rog mobo)

i am looking at audio technica's ath-m50

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #11,270 of 29,490

Quote:
Oh, and preferably circumaural.

You'll bever get near-perfect isolation, not from on/over-ear cans. If isolation is important, look into IEMs. However, if you're fixated on over-ear, maybe check out the Koss DJ100 or something.

Quote:
Hey guys.  I'm looking for an open, circumaural headphone for around $100 (for my girlfriend).  They will be un-amped, mostly powered by an iPhone.  I recently purchases Sennheiser 598's and she really enjoyed listening to those.  She listens to Rock, Metal, Alternative, Country and Blues.  I'm currently looking at 515's.

Maybe AD-700s, or Grados if you don't mind on-ear.

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #11,271 of 29,490

Quote:
Denon:
D2000          ($200)
LA2000    ($480)              (is there a difference
D5000      ($435/$500)        between these 2?)
Ultrasone HFI-780    ($355)
HiFiMan HE-4          ($350)
They're all available in the sale section here, and I don't know which one to go with.
The LA2000 and D5000 are a lot for me to spend on some cans, so I don't know.

The LA2000 is a D2000 with custom wood cups, custom damping, and (possibly, depending on when they were made) new, thicker pads.  It could also be recabled, which would be nice because the D2000 cable isn't that great.  The work is all done by Lawton Audio.  It will probably sound better than the stock D5000, though I'm not sure how much.

If you haven't had much in the way of high-end headphones, I'd start out with the D2000.  It's a very nice-sounding headphone unmodded and for significantly less than the other options.

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #11,272 of 29,490
I listen mostly to trance, hip hop, and inception type music, with some metal in there.

I'm looking for closed headphones, with good bass (not basshead amounts), good soundstage for gaming (I play BF3/CS a lot), movies, and regular gaming such as Skyrim.

The unique aspect of my requirement is that I want to wear these to the gym; only for lifting weights, not for cardio. I don't do any lifts that make me move around a lot, so for the gym the important requirement is that they isolate noise.

I'll be using my iphone and my onboard audio from my Z68 motherboard.

My budget is $200.

I'm planning on ordering today (1/23), and so far my choices are split between Ultrasone HFI-780 ($155), and  Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro ($200), and V-Moda M-80 ($200).

I'm heavily leaning towards the 780's because they're nearly $50 cheaper with what seems to be similar bass levels, good enough soundstage for gaming, and good noise isolation. I don't see the point in paying an additional $50 for the DT 770 Pros.. however, the M-80's are more portable so I guess I'd prefer those more than the 770's.

And if there's a better option out there, can you guys please let me know? I'd prefer options that have a lot of reviews and are widely renowned for their performance.. instead of people's individual experiences with less popular headsets.

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #11,273 of 29,490

Quote:
I listen mostly to trance, hip hop, and inception type music, with some metal in there.

I'm looking for closed headphones, with good bass (not basshead amounts), good soundstage for gaming (I play BF3/CS a lot), movies, and regular gaming such as Skyrim.

The unique aspect of my requirement is that I want to wear these to the gym; only for lifting weights, not for cardio. I don't do any lifts that make me move around a lot, so for the gym the important requirement is that they isolate noise.

I'll be using my iphone and my onboard audio from my Z68 motherboard.

My budget is $200.

I'm planning on ordering today (1/23), and so far my choices are split between Ultrasone HFI-780 ($155), and  Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro ($200), and V-Moda M-80 ($200).

I'm heavily leaning towards the 780's because they're nearly $50 cheaper with what seems to be similar bass levels, good enough soundstage for gaming, and good noise isolation. I don't see the point in paying an additional $50 for the DT 770 Pros.. however, the M-80's are more portable so I guess I'd prefer those more than the 770's.

And if there's a better option out there, can you guys please let me know? I'd prefer options that have a lot of reviews and are widely renowned for their performance.. instead of people's individual experiences with less popular headsets.

You'll probably look like a goober wearing DT770s while lifting weights... just my opinion. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #11,274 of 29,490

Quote:
You'll probably look like a goober wearing DT770s while lifting weights... just my opinion. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Not worried about that lol. I've been researching more regarding the v-modas though.. and apparently the LP2's are better suited for gaming than the M80's.. despite having the same price tag. Why would anyone buy the M80's given that information?

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #11,275 of 29,490
I currently have Klipsh S4's and can't get a good seal that lasts more than 10 minutes. I bought them for $50 so I can't really justify buying tips for them. What would be another good pair of headphones between $50-$100 that I can use to listen to rock, alternative rock, soul, r&b, and hip hop? I'm not a huge audiophile I just want some decent sounding IEMs that sound better than my S4's with a crappy seal. My music will either be playing out of my laptop (Dell XPS) or an iPod Touch 4G.

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #11,276 of 29,490

Quote:
Not sure who gave you that information, but "giving up overall SQ for bass" is quite a misinformed impression.

As for the D2000's being better overall, that's a matter of personal preference. I could count just as many people who think the PRO 900 is better than the D2000.

Have you checked out Jibbie's Thread?:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/527451/ultrasone-pro-900-appreciation-thread#post_7113840

He chose the PRO 900's over the D2000, but have since move on to other headphones. He left quite a legacy though, and one monster thread.

Yes I have, but he also did this comparison, a little while after he was smitten by the Pro 900's, although I appreciate the link!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/573371/denon-d2000-vs-ultrasone-pro-900-a-review-and-comparison

The person selling the 780's is Wilashort. http://www.head-fi.org/t/578747/ultrasonyer-hfimdrdt2-v1780-with-included-shipping-worldwide-price-drop-from-375
He says he modded them by changing the pads, making the drivers further away, using different cloth, and a custom cable. I wasn't all that interested, but I thought I'd post it with my list anyway.

Yes, the stock D2000 is considerably cheaper than the other choices, and seems more suited to my wallet. A Denon with wooden cups, irrespective of LA2000 or D5000, is over double the price of the stock D2000, and I don't think it would sound TWICE as good. I'm hoping the seller will ship to Australia.

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #11,277 of 29,490
hey m new to the headphone world nd dont know much about it. . 
Razer Orca and d Grado sr60i are two headphones that i really liked bt am confused which one to go for. . which do u believe is better?? nd do u ppl think der r any other better headphones under $100. . 
oh n i mainly listen to house n indie/electronic. . 
thank u :)

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #11,278 of 29,490
hiya, new to full sized headphones, always use to wearing in-ear earbuds, but after returning from the ER to remove a rubber earbud piece that got lodged deep into my ear canal, I'm thinking about making a switch, lol. I'd prefer it to cover my whole ear, and not sit on my ears (which is why I never liked the outer ear models). Noise blocking would be nice, it doesn't have to be ultra fancy noise canceling or whatever, just enough so that I can't much hear anything other than my music/movie/video game/etc, and nobody can much hear the sound from it, so I'm not a disturbance, and I block out disturbances, lol. I'll be wearing them both in my cozy thin-walled dorm, and during studio class time when allowed to listen to music, so it should be relatively portable, being mostly used on a portable mp3 device or my Mac. Listened to audios range from Top 40's, Alternative Rock, Dance/Techno, Musicals/Theatrical songs, movie and video game songs, orchestra music, and also just watching Movies/TV series or playing video games. But when it comes to headphones, the two most important factors to me are comfort and sound quality, but at the same time, I'm a poor college student, so can't be spending too much, probably something under or around $200, willing to go a little higher if worth it though. So ya, any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #11,279 of 29,490

Quote:
Listened to audios range from Top 40's, Alternative Rock, Dance/Techno, Musicals/Theatrical songs, movie and video game songs, orchestra music, and also just watching Movies/TV series or playing video games.

I don't think you ll find a portable headphone with good isolation and who can fit all your music genre.

The HFi780 should be a good choice imo, portable, very good isolation and a good all rounder, but not perfect with all your music genre.

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #11,280 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi, I recently ordered a pair of sennheiser hd 558 for 150, as i thought it was a steal and would be a great pair of headphones, but i recently learned that they are open(and what it means to be open along with it's consequences) and it's lacking in the bass department for genres like dubstep or heavy rock/metal

i am looking for sound quality similar to the hd 558 but with a closed circumaural design and good bass(i am willing to sacrifice some soundstage)
here is some info i thought would be important:
genres i listen to in order of preference: dubstep, eurodance(pretty much all electronic music), (hard) rock/metal, pop/hip hop/rap/r&b
audio source: my phone(htc desire, no amp) or my computer(supreme x-fi 2 built in to rog mobo)

i am looking at audio technica's ath-m50

bump, also now looking at Shure SRH840

Users who are viewing this thread

Back