++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 23, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #11,296 of 29,490
Hello I'm in the market for a pair of $100 headphones no ear buds please. I listen to music through my desktop computer on pandora (a website that streams music). I for the most part listen to modern rock (bands like My Chemical Romance and such). I also listen to basically every genre of music out there except for country. The only thing I care about is the sound this is going to be my first major headphone buy because I finally have some cash with which I can spend. $100 is my limit I can NOT go higher. I'm not an audiophile in any such way hence why I came here for advice I trust you guys to help me find the best sound headphones for the money do not focus too much on a genre specific pair of headphones I'm open to all types.

MESSAGE: I did post on this thread about 5 pages back I reposted because I felt my first post wasn't clear enough.

Jan 23, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #11,297 of 29,490
Hi

Looking for a pair of (preferably closed-back) headphones.  Price range of around $200 but happy to listen to suggestions over that.  

I mainly listen to rock music ranging from indie stuff (Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian, Muse) through old school (Pink Floyd, Hendrix) as well as a bit of metal (RATM, QOTSA).  I also listen to a bit of electronic/bass (Pendulum, Prodigy etc) so I'd like them to have a decent bass feel.  

I would mainly use them with my iPod nano 16GB, mainly at home but I travel on the train a fair bit as well so some amount of isolation would be good.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Jan 23, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #11,298 of 29,490
Except I need something portable too.  I'm really leaning towards the ibasso as I can use it on my laptop as a dac, on my desktop behind my x-fi for gaming (while charging!), and as an amp behind my sansa clip too.

Quote:
I don't know how balanced the Pro900s will be, as they're known to be a bit bass-heavy. For more neutral you could look into the Brainwavz HM5 or Shure SRH940.

For your uses it sounds like closed might work better. I don't know about the 780s, but the M50s work quite nicely for rock, and a lot of other stuff, too. 

Try the Creative Aurvana Lives, or the Koss DJ100.

I think for information on flagship-level cans you're better off asking in the Summit-Fi forum, as few people here will have heard both, or even any of them.

First of all, what does "1000+e" mean? Is it USD, or some foreign currency? Also, you're really considering 2 polar opposites, between a single sub-$200 pair and a flagship-level setup. At the end of the day, it's really up to you how much you're willing to spend to make your music sound good. How much does music matter to you? At the end of the day, it's really up to you. The M50s are nice though, if you can get them for a good price.

That's incredible broad, but see if you can find the M50s for that price, or maybe SRH840s, that could work. A bit cheaper you get the Koss DJ100, CAL!, HFI580, etc.

The 840 cables are detatchable, so if you could find a shorter replacement that could work. For portable, check out the CAL and HFI580/780.

For the DAC/amp combo, check out the Fiio E10. The E9 will also work as a standalone amp for desktop usage.

Are you locked into those 2? I would recommend you spend some time browsing around on ljokerl's 214-IEM review thread, which will give you a ton of other choices, and will give you a much more comprehensive analysis than I ever could in 1 post. you can find it here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-214-iems-compared-jvc-ha-fxt90-and-ha-fx500-added-1-8-12

Those two are radically different headphones. For one thing, one is closed and one is open, which makes a big difference depending on your usage environments. They'll also probably need an amp to drive properly, so factor that into the cost. Since the 900s are closed and a bit bass-heavy, they'll give you significantly more bass, if that's what you want. Maybe look into a price point midway where you won't need an amp.

also check out the AKG K81s, or if you want a lot of bass the XB500s.

I don't think the PX100s will be an upgrade at all from the SR80s, unless you didn't like the Grado sound sig. For more bass, maybe try a closed pair (which the PX100s are not). They are very portable though, if that's a priority.

Check out the M50s, SRH840s, HFI780s, Phiaton MS400s, M80s, HD25s, etc, as well this thread. The last 3 on the list also look pretty good IMO.

Look into some of the cheaper brainwavz or MEElectronic IEM models. The monoprice might work too, though they look odd, and the build is not the best.

Definitely add the M50s and SRH840s to your list, and maybe the HFI780s (No remotes, though). The AIAIAIs aren't known to be the best headphones for the price, but are nice portables and have good bass. Also, you don't want open headphones if you'll be using them in any kind of noisy or on-the-go situation, because they leak a lot of sound in and out. For 3-button remotes, try the V-moda M80s.

I don't think the open cans you listed will do that well without an amp, and won't suffice if you plan to wear your headphones portably. The closed headphones seem to fit you more.

Again, Summit-Fi might be a better place to be asking these questions, though if someone here can help you, that's great too.

Jan 23, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #11,299 of 29,490

Quote:
hey guys im looking for basshead headphones. I have got my eyes on the v-moda crossfades or the audio-technica ath pro700mk2. Which one would be best. or and other headphones out there

I don't know too much about the Pro700s, but the Crossfades tend to sacrifice clarity for bass. Another couple recommended basshead cans are the Denon D1100 and the HFI580. 

Quote:
hey guys. just wondering if i could get some advice on a pair of closed headphones for rock.

I second the previous poster, but also look into the M80s.

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the M4 an IEM? Also, add the M50 to the list, though it has a 10-foot cable. If you'll be using them portably, also look into the V-moda M80, Sennheiser HD25-1, or similar headphones. The 840s and 280s also have long cables, and a couple others might as well.

Could those cables be upgraded to short ones? I'm just looking for good headphones with short cables. I dont want to buy portables since it sounds like the soundstage/sound will be compromised. Also, by portably I mean by long car rides, airplanes, etc. Nothing like traveling by foot. 

EDIT: Sorry I meant the brainwavz HM5

Possibly, if you can find a shorter replacement cable. However, they can be unwieldy to carry around. Also, portables don't necessarily sacrifice sound, as the HD25s and M80s are often compared favorably to the M50s. The portable form factor will also make them more versatile in general. Maybe you could try the Ultrasone HFI580/780? They have Ultrasone's S-logic, which i supposed to increase soundstage.

Quote:
Hello I'm in the market for a pair of $100 headphones no ear buds please. I listen to music through my desktop computer on pandora (a website that streams music). I for the most part listen to modern rock (bands like My Chemical Romance and such). I also listen to basically every genre of music out there except for country. The only thing I care about is the sound this is going to be my first major headphone buy because I finally have some cash with which I can spend. $100 is my limit I can NOT go higher. I'm not an audiophile in any such way hence why I came here for advice I trust you guys to help me find the best sound headphones for the money do not focus too much on a genre specific pair of headphones I'm open to all types.

MESSAGE: I did post on this thread about 5 pages back I reposted because I felt my first post wasn't clear enough.

Will you be using this ONLY at your computer? For under $100, the Grado SR80s are supposed to be good for rock, but are open. Do you have a particular preference for closed or open? Basically, open headphones will give you no isolation, and others can hear the music leaking out of them, but can have better soundstaging than closed headphones. A couple other closed headphones to look into are the Creative Aurvana Lives and the Koss DJ100s.

Quote:
Hi

Looking for a pair of (preferably closed-back) headphones.  Price range of around $200 but happy to listen to suggestions over that.  

I mainly listen to rock music ranging from indie stuff (Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian, Muse) through old school (Pink Floyd, Hendrix) as well as a bit of metal (RATM, QOTSA).  I also listen to a bit of electronic/bass (Pendulum, Prodigy etc) so I'd like them to have a decent bass feel.  

I would mainly use them with my iPod nano 16GB, mainly at home but I travel on the train a fair bit as well so some amount of isolation would be good.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

M50s, M80s, HD25-1, SRH850, HFI580, HM5 are the ones to look into, and see where that leads.

Quote:
Except I need something portable too.  I'm really leaning towards the ibasso as I can use it on my laptop as a dac, on my desktop behind my x-fi for gaming (while charging!), and as an amp behind my sansa clip too.

The iBasso looks very promising, if they're in your budget. I'd say go for it.

Jan 23, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #11,300 of 29,490

Quote:
According to Jude at least, the new Sennheiser RS220 has 6XX-series-level sound, so that might work for you. Can't give you a whole lot more than that, unfortunately, maybe wait a bit longer for responses.

Thanks, I thought about wireless with a digital input, but I've heard that Sennheiser GROSSLY overstates the range (distance from the base station before you lose audio).  Does anyone own them?

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #11,302 of 29,490
Hi All,

So I was hoping I could get some suggestions of full-size over-ear headphones. I recently purchased a set of ATH-M50s and I felt them to sound very tinny, almost as though the highs were piercing. I truly love a full rich sound to my music (I would say I prefer a more pronounced mid to low frequency) which allows me to feel the music. I by no means need super bass headphones or anything of that nature, but am looking for something that's fuller than the M50s.

Price range is max $300

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and maybe a bit on why you suggest them.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

James

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #11,303 of 29,490
Hi All,

So I was hoping I could get some suggestions of full-size over-ear headphones. I recently purchased a set of ATH-M50s and I felt them to sound very tinny, almost as though the highs were piercing. I truly love a full rich sound to my music (I would say I prefer a more pronounced mid to low frequency) which allows me to feel the music. I by no means need super bass headphones or anything of that nature, but am looking for something that's fuller than the M50s.

Price range is max $300

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and maybe a bit on why you suggest them.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

James

If you can, try the Denon D2000s.

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #11,304 of 29,490

Quote:
If you can, try the Denon D2000s.

I was just about to buy the D2000's off amazon for $280 shipped, but then I realized that I'm buying it off a reputed seller on Amazon, and not Amazon directly. Does that mean I won't get a warranty with the headphones? Even a 1 year manufacturer's warranty? Even if they're brand new?

I heard about the screw problem and I would be super pissed if it happened to me and I was left with a $300 piece of garbage.

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #11,305 of 29,490

I was just about to buy the D2000's off amazon for $280 shipped, but then I realized that I'm buying it off a reputed seller on Amazon, and not Amazon directly. Does that mean I won't get a warranty with the headphones? Even a 1 year manufacturer's warranty? Even if they're brand new?

I heard about the screw problem and I would be super pissed if it happened to me and I was left with a $300 piece of garbage.

http://www.electronics-expo.com/denon-ahd2000-high-performance-over-ear-headphones-ob

$200 open box, like new w/ warranty. go go.

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #11,306 of 29,490
Well a just made a new thread about this, being unaware of this thread's existence... sorry... I'll repost what I said here:

Alright so my first and only pair of cans thus far has been a pair of Sony MDR-V6's, which I love, albeit without much of a reference point otherwise; I've had them for about a year (since I first got into this hi-fi business) and I think I'm ready to move on/ up. I mostly listen to alternative and indie rock, a bit of electronic here and there, and have even been getting into some rap lately. I usually listen from my Creative Zen X-Fi + Fiio E6 amp or my desktop which has an Asus Xonar XG sound card, and most of my library is 320 mp3. The very top of my price range is $300, but cheaper is just fine with me 
tongue_smile.gif
. I would prefer closed-back cans, because I do a lot of listening on the go with people around, and would rather not have everyone hear me. 

So far I've considered the Denon D2000's, AT A900's and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro-80's. One concern I've heard about the D2000's is that they leak sound, though, and I'm wondering how bad it is. I would like something with some punch in the bass, as I'm a little bored with the flatness of my V6's, but certainly not overwhelming; I'm not looking for a pair of hip-hop cans or anything. I don't really care how they look or how big they are, so long as they're comfortable; I also have ears that stick out a bit, if that's a concern. 

TL; DR 
I want this: 
smily_headphones1.gif
 and a little of this: 
basshead.gif
 in a closed back can for under $300. 

Any suggestions/ comments/ recommendations?

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #11,307 of 29,490

Quote:
http://www.electronics-expo.com/denon-ahd2000-high-performance-over-ear-headphones-ob
$200 open box, like new w/ warranty. go go.

Meh.. buying mine on the Amazon credit card lol, 6 months no interest. I just graduated, making $14/hr for an at home google job just clearing credit card debt and in the market for an electrical engineering job.. so I'm not paying for these in cash right now.

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #11,308 of 29,490
You should be able to check whether they are an authorized retailer. http://usa.denon.com/us/wheretobuy/pages/onlineetailers.aspx

If they aren't (or you feel like getting a better deal), Electronics Expo has their "Open Box" deal back up again. They're authorized, and $200 will get you a supposed open box D2000 that appears to never have been touched, at least in my experience.  And it comes with the full Denon warranty.

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #11,309 of 29,490

Quote:
Well a just made a new thread about this, being unaware of this thread's existence... sorry... I'll repost what I said here:

Alright so my first and only pair of cans thus far has been a pair of Sony MDR-V6's, which I love, albeit without much of a reference point otherwise; I've had them for about a year (since I first got into this hi-fi business) and I think I'm ready to move on/ up. I mostly listen to alternative and indie rock, a bit of electronic here and there, and have even been getting into some rap lately. I usually listen from my Creative Zen X-Fi + Fiio E6 amp or my desktop which has an Asus Xonar XG sound card, and most of my library is 320 mp3. The very top of my price range is $300, but cheaper is just fine with me 
tongue_smile.gif
. I would prefer closed-back cans, because I do a lot of listening on the go with people around, and would rather not have everyone hear me. 

So far I've considered the Denon D2000's, AT A900's and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro-80's. One concern I've heard about the D2000's is that they leak sound, though, and I'm wondering how bad it is. I would like something with some punch in the bass, as I'm a little bored with the flatness of my V6's, but certainly not overwhelming; I'm not looking for a pair of hip-hop cans or anything. I don't really care how they look or how big they are, so long as they're comfortable; I also have ears that stick out a bit, if that's a concern. 

TL; DR 
I want this: 
smily_headphones1.gif
 and a little of this: 
basshead.gif
 in a closed back can for under $300. 

Any suggestions/ comments/ recommendations?

The Beyers or the Denons would probably fit the bill.  Don't know much about the A900s.  They're all pretty big headphones though.

The D2000s do leak sound, but not as badly as open headphones.  I haven't tried mine in public though, so I can't say exactly how much they leak.  They also don't clamp very tightly, so if you're going to be moving around a lot, they may not be the best choice.  I've heard that the isolation on the DT770 is excellent though, and I think they clamp a little more tightly.  The bass on the Denons is better-controlled than on the DT770s, or so I've heard.

Jan 24, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #11,310 of 29,490
Hello,

I listen rock and pop-rock and i would like to change my Bose Triport with Ipod by a new can and amp.
For the can, i hesitate between :
DT770 PRO 80 OHM
DT880 250 or 600 OHM
AKG 721 MKII 55 OHM
DT1350 80 OHM

I would like to use in the street / underground / train / airplane and at home.
For the amp, i don't know for the moment :) RSA, iBasso, Step2Dance, FIIO... I will see.

What do you think about this choice ?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back