++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 24, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #11,313 of 29,490
Hello. I'm going to buy some new headphones after ruining my old Bose headphones and I want to step it up a notch. I'm also planning to buy a Maverick Tubemagic A1 hybrid amp so I want some headphones that benefits from that. Some other requirements:
  1. Comfortable (got kind of a large head)
  2. Detachable cable
  3. 200-250$
  4. Noise-proof (by that I mean headphones that doesn't leak too much sound either in or out)

They will be used primarily for music-listening. I listen to a lot of different stuff like some jazz, classical piano, orchestras, post-rock, metal, techno and so on, but for me it's more important with a crisp and detailed sound than lots of bass.

I live in Norway and while there are a few soundshops where I can try something on, the prices are extremely high (an example is the AKQ Q701 which I can get for 250$ or so from some webshop. At my nearest soundstore they cost 500$ and that is only because they are on sale (former price 680$!!)) and the variety of brands are poor. I think AKG, Beats by Dre, Bose and expensive Beyer-phones are the only brands available.

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #11,316 of 29,490
Hello Head-Fi'ers,

I currently own a pair of AKG K 450 wich make me quite happy. They're also perfect for portable use.
BUT, as a Head-Fi'er, I can't remain only "happy" with headphones, I want my headphones to take me further than only happy. In addition, I've received some money for Christmas. So, I've (almost) decided to buy new headphones.

By browsing Head-Fi for several months, my choice has narrowed to the Alessandro MS1i's (which are more "versatile" than Grado SR60i's as I read [I don't speak about the SR80i's or higher because they're damn expensive here in France], and are "home-upgradable").

I listen to plenty of genres of music, and I'll soon start to listen to those I don't listen yet. In short, I'll listen to absolutely all genres of music, with a predominance of metal of all genres.
I'm not searching extraordinary soundstage, neutrality or very specifical things, I just want my music to make me fly (OK, with a ~$120 budget).

So, four questions :

- Is it worth the cost to upgrade from AKG K 450's to MS1i's for home use ?
- Would you advise me to buy other headphones than the MS1i's (I'm thinking about the Brainwavz HM5's) ?
- Would you advise me IEMs, instead of full-sized cans, that would be better than the MS1i's, and still  under $120 ?
- Are the MS1i's "bad" with electro, dubstep or rap, or is it just that there are better cans for these genres ?

Thank you.

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #11,317 of 29,490
Hi all.

I've asked a question about changing my AKG k271S to something a month or two ago. I was asking if it's worth to change it to something like Beyer 700/800/900 or AKG k701/702 or anything else. Decided not to change phones that time. 
Now i man sells Ultrasone Pro 900 fairly cheap. A bit more then $200 in immaculate condition. That's even cheaper then it sells on ebay. Don't ask me where it is: it's in Kazachstan. 
I know that Pro 900 aint a best universal phones, but best for rock music or modern electro style like house or trance. That is what i listen to 85% of time. 

As for me it looks worthy to upgrade Akg K271-Ultrasone Pro 900.

The main questions are:
1. What i'd lose if i'd upgrade from k271 to pro 900. I'd get lots of a nice bass, i know. 
2. Would personally you do this upgrade for... about $100-$120.

Thanks in advance.
Victor.

PS. I got Audinst mx-1 for my laptop. As for me it works fine with AKG. May be upgrade it once i get pro 900, but not immideately.

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #11,318 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello. I'm going to buy some new headphones after ruining my old Bose headphones and I want to step it up a notch. I'm also planning to buy a Maverick Tubemagic A1 hybrid amp so I want some headphones that benefits from that. Some other requirements:
  1. Comfortable (got kind of a large head)
  2. Detachable cable
  3. 200-250$
  4. Noise-proof (by that I mean headphones that doesn't leak too much sound either in or out)

They will be used primarily for music-listening. I listen to a lot of different stuff like some jazz, classical piano, orchestras, post-rock, metal, techno and so on, but for me it's more important with a crisp and detailed sound than lots of bass.

AKG K271 MK II 55 ohm : comfortable / detachable cable / under 200$ / closed / Very neutral, slightly colored
BEYER DT770 PRO 250 ohm : comfortable / 300$ (need to check) / closed / big bass
BEYER DT880 PRO 250 ohm : comfortable / 300$ (need to check) / closed / more neutral than DT770 PRO, very nice can
For detachable cable, you have KRK KNS 8400 / FISCHER AUDIO FA-005 / Ultrasone PRO 750 for example !

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #11,319 of 29,490
Why don't you take an another AKG, K271 MK II, very good can ! http://www.lesnumeriques.com/casque-audio/akg-k271-mk-ii-p4211/test.html

Quote:
Hello Head-Fi'ers,

I currently own a pair of AKG K 450 wich make me quite happy. They're also perfect for portable use.
BUT, as a Head-Fi'er, I can't remain only "happy" with headphones, I want my headphones to take me further than only happy. In addition, I've received some money for Christmas. So, I've (almost) decided to buy new headphones.

By browsing Head-Fi for several months, my choice has narrowed to the Alessandro MS1i's (which are more "versatile" than Grado SR60i's as I read [I don't speak about the SR80i's or higher because they're damn expensive here in France], and are "home-upgradable").

I listen to plenty of genres of music, and I'll soon start to listen to those I don't listen yet. In short, I'll listen to absolutely all genres of music, with a predominance of metal of all genres.
I'm not searching extraordinary soundstage, neutrality or very specifical things, I just want my music to make me fly (OK, with a ~$120 budget).

So, four questions :

- Is it worth the cost to upgrade from AKG K 450's to MS1i's for home use ?
- Would you advise me to buy other headphones than the MS1i's (I'm thinking about the Brainwavz HM5's) ?
- Would you advise me IEMs, instead of full-sized cans, that would be better than the MS1i's, and still  under $120 ?
- Are the MS1i's "bad" with electro, dubstep or rap, or is it just that there are better cans for these genres ?

Thank you.

Jan 24, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #11,321 of 29,490
Quote:
Why don't you take an another AKG, K271 MK II, very good can ! http://www.lesnumeriques.com/casque-audio/akg-k271-mk-ii-p4211/test.html

They are totally out of budget
frown.gif
135 € instead of 87 for the Alessandro's.

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #11,323 of 29,490
Okay I'm narrowing down my list of headphones.

History: I have the HD555, I dont like it much because there's barely any bass (not a basshead), doesnt sound to clear, and it does not isolate. I'm looking for ones that I can take with me via car ride, airplane, or at home; also ones with a cord that doesn't wrap around my whole body, something less than 3m(9 feet). 

I listen to rap, r&b, trance, and electropop (Owl city) 

Choices:
Shure 840 $127
HFI580 $118
Sennheisser HD25-1 $130
Sennheisser HD280 pro $77

These are the prices on amazon. 

EDIT:  I will not be using a portable amp anytime soon. I will be using a iphone 4, or if I'm on my computer I have a Xonar DG. 
Thanks .

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #11,324 of 29,490
I listen to trance, electronica, rap, metal, and inception type music. I have 3 uses for the headphones I want to buy: FPS gaming, regular gaming & movies, and gym usage.

I was considering getting the D2000's for FPS/gaming/movies and trying them out in the gym. $285

OR

I was considering getting the AD700 for FPS and the M-80 for gaming/movies/gym. $310

Which would be the better option? I'm just worried that the D2000's are too big for the gym and that they have that screw problem, and the pair I'm buying might not be under warranty as I'm buying them from a seller on Amazon. Amazon is a listed dealer for Denon, but I'm not sure about their sellers.

Furthermore I'm not sure if I could use an E5 for the AD700 to boost bass a little, and whether or not the M-80 is good enough for movies/games/gym.

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #11,325 of 29,490
Headphones for acoustic and 'traditional' musics

I think I'm getting the basics of what to look for in a new pair of headphones, but I'm having difficulties finding what I want in my price range (~£50).

I live alone, so isolation and closed backs don't have much benefit for me. I've read a lot of good things about open backs and think the more 'natural' sound would suit my tastes as well. But I'm having difficulties tracking down a pair for under £80 which isn't advertised as being bass-oriented.

Most of the music I listen to is traditional or recent variants - acoustic fiddle, pipes, flute, guitar and such. Lots of intricate work going on in the treble and mid ranges, but generally not as much in the bass. These genres are centred around live performance, so fiddling with those dynamics by upping bass just doesn't make sense.

I like to geek out and try to understand how all of the parts fit together, so separation of instruments has a fair bit of appeal,,,, at least in theory. %-) I wouldn't want to lose the resonances between instruments though since they're such an important aspect of this sort of music.

If I need to go into a higher price bracket, I can do that but would prefer to keep the costs down for now.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back