++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 22, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #11,237 of 29,490
Alright so my mom wants a new set of headphones. I told her I could help her find a good, cheap pair of headphones. The most important thing about these headphones is they must isolate outside noise decently. She's going to be listening to her iPod in the car while my dad plays the radio so she wants to make sure she doesn't hear too much of that. Decent sound quality is of course preferred. Her price range is up to 30 dollars. So I know that's not much to work with.

I heard really good things about the Monoprice 8323. I just wanted to make sure they isolate some outside noise. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Jan 22, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #11,239 of 29,490

Quote:
Alright so my mom wants a new set of headphones. I told her I could help her find a good, cheap pair of headphones. The most important thing about these headphones is they must isolate outside noise decently. She's going to be listening to her iPod in the car while my dad plays the radio so she wants to make sure she doesn't hear too much of that. Decent sound quality is of course preferred. Her price range is up to 30 dollars. So I know that's not much to work with.

I heard really good things about the Monoprice 8323. I just wanted to make sure they isolate some outside noise. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I can vouch for these being great phones, I ordered them for a friend of mine and was thoroughly impressed by both the build quality and especially the sound, granted I didn't get to listen to them extensively or with good source material but at that price point I doubt that is a concern. Admittedly though I have limited experience with headphones in that class so there could be better; I didn't exactly have anything to compare them to.

Jan 22, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #11,240 of 29,490

Quote:
Price range of around $125. Its flexible but around that price point.

Ok, here are a few to consider: 

Creative Aurvana Live!  Warm tone, comfortable,  slight bass emphasis, good soundstage (for this price point), good for games and movies, not very good isolation from outside noise.  Can be found for as little as $55-60 if you catch a good sale at Amazon.

Sony MDR ZX700 

Shure SRH440 

KRK 8400   One site online has them for $119 right now. 

You should do a few searches here at head-fi on these.  There are many others in this price range.

Jan 22, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #11,241 of 29,490

I'm looking to invest <200$ in quality over-ear headphones. At work I use Sennheiser HD280s and I enjoy the quality on those and the fact that the cord is only on one side, but I'm looking for something with one more feature: apple 3-button controls. I also like open-back designs and detachable cords, but those aren't necessary. I know I don't want Beats. I'll primarily be using these with an iPhone  and MacBook and I don't want to buy an amp. I listen to primarily to blues and rock (Muddy Waters, Seasick Steve, Black Keys, White Stripes), so I appreciate bass but wouldn't want it do dominate. I also like to tune out the world when I get work done, so I'd like some isolation - passive noise cancelation. I do work for hours at a time though, so I wouldn't want to sacrifice comfort.

Some models I like:
Audio Technica ATH A700
incase sonic
Nixon RPM
AIAIAI TMA-1

The A700s don't have the detachable cord I'm looking for and I've heard incase's audio products aren't very durable. I've heard Nixon is uncomfortable and AIAIAI might need an amp, which would put it out of price-range. A friend of mine has v-moda's Crossfade but my ear is slightly too low on one side for those. 

I know I have to make compromises, but I like to research big purchases. Perhaps something middle of the road would be best. With a detachable cord, I could use iLUV's extender instead of inline 3-button controls, but I would need to find a male-male 3.5mm adaptor. Do those exist?

Any thoughts?? Thanks for any advice you can give. 

Jan 22, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #11,242 of 29,490

I’m looking for circumaural headphones in the $300 price range.  I currently am listening to a Samson SR850 (I know…obviously an audiophile) after deciding that my Shure SRH840s and Aiaiai TMA-1s were just too dark.  I guess I’d call the highs of the Shure “polite” and the TMA-1 is, as one reviewer said, not for bass lovers as much as for treble haters.   From my comments it’s obvious, but it’s taken me hours on this site to realize, that I’m a treblehead, maybe because of my aging ears or musical tastes or both.  I listen to a lot of acoustic music, particularly singer-songwriters.  To give you an idea of my tastes, the albums I’ve recently been listening to the most are Tom Waits’ Bad As Me, Gillian Welch’s The Harrow and the Harvest, Bon Iver’s For Emma, Forever Ago, James Blake and The Incredible String Band. 

Because I like the sound of the Samson I’m leaning towards open, but haven’t ruled out a good pair of closed cans.  I listen mostly to high bit rate mp3s or FLAC files from an iPhone 4S or iPad2.  I’d like something for home listening, preferably with a detachable cable ending in a 1/8” plug and something that would sound fine without, but would benefit from, a budget amp like a Fiio (either an E11 or the upcoming e17).   Something with sparkly, detailed extended treble, smooth mid-range and clean bass when needed.  From what I’ve read I think the Grados would suit me well, but SR125 and up models have a ¼” plug and non-detachable cable and are not supposedly very comfortable, which I also find is the case with the SRH840.  If I go with Grado I’m thinking maybe the SR325i.  If not, then the Beyerdynamic DT 990, which from the reviews may be the closest to the Grado sound, the HiFiMAN HE-300 or the Audio Technica ATH-AD900.  For closed, the Denon  AH-D2000, Sony MDR-Z1000 or the Shure SRH940, since I’ve read they’re much more treble forward than the 840 model,  which does have a rich, smooth sound.  I guess what I’m looking for is something with the extended treble and detail of the SR850 and the smoothness of the SRH840. 

What has thrown a monkey wrench into my plans and my finances is the Sennheiser RS 220. It’s twice what I want to spend, but a recently acquired Pioneer receiver with AirPlay opens the possibility of one headphone for music, TV and movies, using my iPhone and iPad as basically a remote for the receiver when I listen to music at home.  Since this is based on Sennheiser’s 6XX series I’m afraid, from what I’ve read, that it will be too lacking in the highs for my tastes. 

My brain is fried from reading way too many threads and reviews, so any input you folks can give me is appreciated.

Jan 22, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #11,243 of 29,490
Ok so I'm definitely enjoying my HD 598s (using at work with the HeadStreamer DAC/Amp, I will do what I can to review the HeadStreamer after burn in on the cans and after I take the time to compare with and without), but now I'm really wanting to upgrade my home equipment.

I was thinking about the HE-500 (at $699 from Head-Direct), plus a HRT Music Streamer II ($150 from Amazon), but I was hoping something like the Schiit Asgard ($250) would suffice for an amp until my research showed I need to spend around $1,000 on an amp/pre-amp to power these cans.  Plus would a cable upgrade be recommended for these?

The T1 is $1,099 on Amazon too, and I've been keeping that in my mind as an option (with HRT Music Streamer + Schiit Asgard?).  The HD-700s seem interesting but I'm not sure if I want to wait.

Music genres: 40% metal, 30% full orchestra (soundtrack music, not stage recordings), 30% trance
Portable: No, only at the computer
Price range: $1,000 including DAC/Amp (not a hard stop once I hit $1,000, just would like to be around there)
Amped: Yes.
Closed/Open: Open

I would love to hear these prior to buying, but I don't know of anywhere near the Akron, OH area that I can go to.

Jan 22, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #11,244 of 29,490
Quote:
I’m looking for circumaural headphones in the $300 price range.  I currently am listening to a Samson SR850 (I know…obviously an audiophile) after deciding that my Shure SRH840s and Aiaiai TMA-1s were just too dark.  I guess I’d call the highs of the Shure “polite” and the TMA-1 is, as one reviewer said, not for bass lovers as much as for treble haters.   From my comments it’s obvious, but it’s taken me hours on this site to realize, that I’m a treblehead, maybe because of my aging ears or musical tastes or both.  I listen to a lot of acoustic music, particularly singer-songwriters.  To give you an idea of my tastes, the albums I’ve recently been listening to the most are Tom Waits’ Bad As Me, Gillian Welch’s The Harrow and the Harvest, Bon Iver’s For Emma, Forever Ago, James Blake and The Incredible String Band. 

Because I like the sound of the Samson I’m leaning towards open, but haven’t ruled out a good pair of closed cans.  I listen mostly to high bit rate mp3s or FLAC files from an iPhone 4S or iPad2.  I’d like something for home listening, preferably with a detachable cable ending in a 1/8” plug and something that would sound fine without, but would benefit from, a budget amp like a Fiio (either an E11 or the upcoming e17).   Something with sparkly, detailed extended treble, smooth mid-range and clean bass when needed.  From what I’ve read I think the Grados would suit me well, but SR125 and up models have a ¼” plug and non-detachable cable and are not supposedly very comfortable, which I also find is the case with the SRH840.  If I go with Grado I’m thinking maybe the SR325i.  If not, then the Beyerdynamic DT 990, which from the reviews may be the closest to the Grado sound, the HiFiMAN HE-300 or the Audio Technica ATH-AD900.  For closed, the Denon  AH-D2000, Sony MDR-Z1000 or the Shure SRH940, since I’ve read they’re much more treble forward than the 840 model,  which does have a rich, smooth sound.  I guess what I’m looking for is something with the extended treble and detail of the SR850 and the smoothness of the SRH840. 

What has thrown a monkey wrench into my plans and my finances is the Sennheiser RS 220. It’s twice what I want to spend, but a recently acquired Pioneer receiver with AirPlay opens the possibility of one headphone for music, TV and movies, using my iPhone and iPad as basically a remote for the receiver when I listen to music at home.  Since this is based on Sennheiser’s 6XX series I’m afraid, from what I’ve read, that it will be too lacking in the highs for my tastes. 

My brain is fried from reading way too many threads and reviews, so any input you folks can give me is appreciated.

Ultrasone PRO 900's are often considered the "closed" Grado with far better bass. Also has a detachable cable. The soundstage is comparable to many open-back headphones due to the S-Logic technology. I prefer them to my DT 880's any day.

They can be found for $300~320 on Amazon & eBay, which is outstanding considering they MSRP at $549. I would easily pay $400 for them, though I got mine for $320.

Jan 22, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #11,245 of 29,490
Coming from ATH-A900's only, and liking them a lot, suffice for 1 problem, their lack of quality on the plastic part that connects the headband to the earcups considering they broke many times, superglue has finally let me down. :frowning2: Guess I had a big head.

How would you compare Pro 900's? Or any other similar set that is basically an all around upgrade. Looking to spend $180-$300~. Want a solid all around upgrade. Bass is great, but I don't want it to take away from the quality of the sound. Build quality is a major plus, comfort is appreciated.

(Gaming, movies, lots of music.) on my comp, currently running out from asus p8p67 7.1 onboard, soon to be upgraded to choice of beast sound card, and eventually if needed an amp/receiver if benefits are there.

Jan 22, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #11,246 of 29,490
Quote:
Coming from ATH-A900's only, and liking them a lot, suffice for 1 problem, their lack of quality on the plastic part that connects the headband to the earcups considering they broke many times, superglue has finally let me down. :frowning2: Guess I had a big head.

How would you compare Pro 900's? Or any other similar set that is basically an all around upgrade. Looking to spend $180-$300~. Want a solid all around upgrade. Bass is great, but I don't want it to take away from the quality of the sound. Build quality is a major plus, comfort is appreciated.

(Gaming, movies, lots of music.) on my comp, currently running out from asus p8p67 7.1 onboard, soon to be upgraded to choice of beast sound card, and eventually if needed an amp/receiver if benefits are there.

The PRO 900's are built like a tank, and the best thing about the bass is that its not overwhelming at all. The quantity and quality is all there, but doesn't at all invade into the mids and highs. It's great with gaming as well.

For more information on your next purchase the PRO 900's:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/527451/ultrasone-pro-900-appreciation-thread#post_7113840

Jan 22, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #11,247 of 29,490

Quote:
Ultrasone PRO 900's are often considered the "closed" Grado with far better bass. Also has a detachable cable. The soundstage is comparable to many open-back headphones due to the S-Logic technology. I prefer them to my DT 880's any day.

Interesting suggestion, I hadn't considered them.  How would they be with acoustic music?  They meet a lot of my requirements, but all the reviews I've read stress the bass (and with my TMA-1s I've definitely got that covered).  I think something that most people find treble heavy would suit me best.

Jan 22, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #11,248 of 29,490

Quote:
The PRO 900's are built like a tank, and the best thing about the bass is that its not overwhelming at all. The quantity and quality is all there, but doesn't at all invade into the mids and highs. It's great with gaming as well.

For more information on your next purchase the PRO 900's:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/527451/ultrasone-pro-900-appreciation-thread#post_7113840

Leaning more and more towards this set.

For future purposes, what do you guys think is a really good combo to go with the pro 900s soundcard-wise, would I also want a receiver? My easiest option is a PCI-E x1 sound card, ie asus xonar essence stx to avoid complications in my case. I eventually want my comp to be able to drive a really sick surround sound speaker setup. Which would undoubtedly require a receiver, but for now, I feel a good sound card some have headphone amps would be all I need. Unless you think it would be better to get sound card example B, and an external amp of some sort. Things to keep in mind when I select a sound card. :O

lastly, if anyone here can offer some input. Looking for a really good desk mic or POSSIBLY a clip on if it's good enough, less wires attached to me the better though I feel. Under $80 pref. Ideally about $50? if possible.

Jan 22, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #11,249 of 29,490

Quote:
 I've heard Nixon is uncomfortable and AIAIAI might need an amp, which would put it out of price-range. 

From my experience the Aiaiai TMA-1 doesn't need an amp and runs out of my iphone fine.  It's one gorgeous headphone, beautifully designed and made and the only one I've heard that has sent shivers down my spine on several occasions.  But be sure it's sound signature is right for you (it's unfortunately totally wrong for me).  It's a DJ phone and tuned for that.  Very dark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back