++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 21, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #11,221 of 29,490

Quote:
Over ear meaning around ear? Also do you mean your home desktop PC? Because if it's a desktop I'd assume it's ok to have the headphones be open, where if it's your laptop you'd probably want closed.

Nothing beats the Grado sr80i at the $100 price point, in my opinion. Those are open, on-ear headphones. You can get Sennheiser 518's for that price. That's an open, around-ear headphone. Very different sound than the Grado, but still a nice well rounded headphone. If you want closed headphones you might want to save up and spend a bit more. You can get a pair of Ultrasone pro 550's for about $150. Those would be my recommendations.

Have to agree with the sr80i recommendation. I have not yet heard a better headphone for the price, and they are sturdy yet lightweight. So long as you aren't looking for a closed back I'd say they fit the bill perfectly, though they do have lower sensitivity than other portable headphones if that's a concern.

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #11,222 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks. Also I'm wondering, the go pro came with some additional software which included THX tru studio pro. It's got an equalizer, eas effects, and a bunch of other stuff: simulated surround sound, enhanced bass and stuff like that. I'm wondering what the head-fi community's opinion is on software like this. I notice when I use it, that the sound becomes "bigger" sounding, and perhaps less realistic. You can use it to boost the volume of things like dance music, but if you try it with something quieter like classical, where there is space between the notes you get a slight hissing sound. 

So yeah just curious what's up with that. Also the forum seems to encourage people not to use an EQ and I was curious as to why. Thanks again.

I've played around with those sorts of things before.  I have a Xonar U3, which has Dolby Headphone - very similar to THX TruStudio, and I also previously modded my laptop sound drivers to let me use THX TruStudio.  They tend to work really well for movies and games, where the sound quality isn't phenomenal and the surround effect gives you a bit more immersion.  However, I never really liked those effects for music.  It did increase the soundstage (that "bigger" feeling you're talking about), but always sounded off.  The thing is that it's extra processing introduced to the audio signal, and since the little Creative stick isn't exactly high end, the processing isn't done terribly well.  This results in a bit of background noise.  It's the same with an equalizer, though there are plenty of people on here who still use them.  There's even a guide for proper equalization floating around here somewhere.

Jan 22, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #11,224 of 29,490
Jan 22, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #11,225 of 29,490
I currently have hd555, and I mostly use it for gaming / music purposes. I dont like it much because it seems to sound a bit bland with barely any bass. Also I don't really like the open cans anymore. I'm looking for new ones that can commute with but still be used to play games. I listen to owl city, trance, and maybe a bit of r&b. I play battlefield 3, Dota2 and other shooting games. I prefer closed cans, short wired (commuting purposes), maybe slight noise cancellation, and my budget is under 130ish.

I was looking at the shure srh 840, but the wire is so long.. Is there a replacement cord?

Thank you in advance.

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #11,227 of 29,490

Quote:
I currently have hd555, and I mostly use it for gaming / music purposes. I dont like it much because it seems to sound a bit bland with barely any bass. Also I don't really like the open cans anymore. I'm looking for new ones that can commute with but still be used to play games. I listen to owl city, trance, and maybe a bit of r&b. I play battlefield 3, Dota2 and other shooting games. I prefer closed cans, short wired (commuting purposes), maybe slight noise cancellation, and my budget is under 130ish.
I was looking at the shure srh 840, but the wire is so long.. Is there a replacement cord?
Thank you in advance.

Sennheiser HD-25 ii have good isolation and a short cord with a right angle plug. I use them whenever I travel or bring my laptop anywhere as opposed to bringing bigger cans.

Jan 22, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #11,228 of 29,490
Getting a new first setup put together and was just wanting some second opinions.  FIrst off, I will be mostly listening to electronica on the go/at home and playing video games on my PC with this.  Sources are currently my android phone (lg optimus aka p500) which will be replaced with a dedicated device, likely a sandisk clip/clip+/fuze, and my x-fi xtrememusic.  I'm fairly set on getting the Beyerdynamic DT770/80.  I've owned these previously and loved them for all of my uses.  I'm aware that neither of these sources (sansa player of x-fi) will drive the Beyer's at their best and this is where my questions come in.  I'm kinda torn between the fiio e6 and the e11.  The e6 allows use while charging (for use dropped in between the 770s and x-fi), while the e11 is a much better unit (for my portable listening).  Is there a competitor in the arena that is on par with the sound quality of the e11 and will be more suitable to use on my desktop?  The ibasso d-zero is out there, but i'm trying to go a little cheaper than that if possible.

Jan 22, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #11,229 of 29,490
Hi, everyone. I'm new here and don't really know anything.
I need some help deciding whether to get the Sennheiser CX 880 or Shure 215.
I listen to rap/hip-hop, metal, rock, dance/electronic and ballads.
I'm coming from the Audio Technica CKM77, which I think are pretty good.

So which do you think is better for my taste? Thanks for the help!

Jan 22, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #11,230 of 29,490
Alright, so I've got a pair of HD448's, I've only had them for a little over a month, haven't tried modding them yet so I was wondering whether it was worth upgrading. I was thinking about getting the Ultrasone pro 900's or Grado HF-2s.
My main concern is SQ, the biggest factor of that being bass. Do you think it's worth upgrading yet?

Jan 22, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #11,232 of 29,490

Quote:
White or black px 100 II should be your pick if you want everything you had with k26p and that is solid bass with much better comfort combined with portability and relatively balanced sound (balance is better then k26p, but with plenty of bass). They do not need an amp but they do leak, since they are very sensitive they can go loud and block all unwanted noise but that is not always recommended. If you want closed can, you have to know that any CAN will be moderate to very uncomfortable (except denon, which dont block sound in or out).

Thank u so much for your reply. I found a pair of black px 100 II for under $50 on Amazon so off your recommendation I will order them. I originally bought a pair of Grado SR80 to replace my AKG K26P's but will be returning them this week. I can't lie after using them for a week I will miss certain things about them. Just wish the bass on them wasn't so nonexistent or I'd keep them and be very happy. Ironically now I almost feel the px 100 II will be a small downgrade from the Grado but maybe that's because the size is smaller and construction from what I can see doesn't look as quality. Or maybe because I found them so cheap I assume they will be cheap in construction. Anyway I'm going to get them and hope for the best. Thanks again for your recommendation!

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #11,234 of 29,490
Hey all,

Little bit of history: I used to lurk on head-fi for years back when I was a starving college student. I started off with some Koss PortaPros and Shure SE215s, and it's time for a change now that I have some disposable income ^^

I'm looking in the 150-300 range (though cheaper is obviously preferred), and I've looked through the deals/help threads as well as the Fall Gift Guide. I was initially smitten with the B&W P5s, but after reading some less-than-stellar reviews about the muddled sound (even after modding), I've shelved them.

I'm looking for around-the-ear (on-the-ear if they're exceptional) cans that shouldn't be used for much traveling, but I'd still like the opportunity to use them with some degree of portability.
Sound-wise, my PortaPros have kind of spoiled me with their (IMO excellent) bass and clear high/mids, but I want to move forward with some retaining of dominant bass.

I listen to a lot of rap/hip-hop/trance/jazz/some classical/rock; basically, everything NOT country, folk, or dubstep :p

I need to be able to wear them comfortably for at least a few hours at a time, with good isolation preferred. Call me vain, but I do prefer good-looking headphones (see: B&W P5), but prefer excellent sound, durability, rock-solid construction, and comfort above looks, if it comes to that. I don't really like the look of the Senn 5XX for some reason...just seems too long
Any and all recommendations are entertained!

Help me head-fi, you're my only hope!

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #11,235 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey all,

Little bit of history: I used to lurk on head-fi for years back when I was a starving college student. I started off with some Koss PortaPros and Shure SE215s, and it's time for a change now that I have some disposable income ^^

I'm looking in the 150-300 range (though cheaper is obviously preferred), and I've looked through the deals/help threads as well as the Fall Gift Guide. I was initially smitten with the B&W P5s, but after reading some less-than-stellar reviews about the muddled sound (even after modding), I've shelved them.

I'm looking for around-the-ear (on-the-ear if they're exceptional) cans that shouldn't be used for much traveling, but I'd still like the opportunity to use them with some degree of portability.
Sound-wise, my PortaPros have kind of spoiled me with their (IMO excellent) bass and clear high/mids, but I want to move forward with some retaining of dominant bass.

I listen to a lot of rap/hip-hop/trance/jazz/some classical/rock; basically, everything NOT country, folk, or dubstep :p

I need to be able to wear them comfortably for at least a few hours at a time, with good isolation preferred. Call me vain, but I do prefer good-looking headphones (see: B&W P5), but prefer excellent sound, durability, rock-solid construction, and comfort above looks, if it comes to that. I don't really like the look of the Senn 5XX for some reason...just seems too long
Any and all recommendations are entertained!

Help me head-fi, you're my only hope!

Circumaural, portable, reasonably good isolation, bass emphasis---take a look at the Denon AH-D1100.  Have no idea if they'll meet your standards of "good-looking" however. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back