++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 11, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #10,021 of 29,490
First I want to apologize for the unclarity in my previous posts. I wasn't really making clear what I wanted and I didn't really know to be honest. Now, let's start from scratch;

Usage: Music, melodeath only. I currently use Sennheiser PC350(primarily bought for gaming) and a PA2V2 pocket amp(it's my dad's but he never uses it so I thought I'd use it). These headphones sound good and all but they're made for gaming and lack a bit of bass. Of course I would like some more bass but not like the one in Sennheiser CX300-II precision as I also own.

Portability and durability: Not a main issue, wouldn't sacrifice SQ for this as they're pretty much only gonna be used at home and occasionally in a car.

Design: Preferably over-ear but on-ear would do as well. Closed or open back doesn't matter, my family members would if they heard some real music
biggrin.gif
. I could alternatively sit in my room, all I want is the best SQ.

Budget: $300. I do as mentioned earlier have a PA2V2 pocket amp that would work with some of the lower impedance headphones but I could of course buy a decent amp too, as long as the headphone+amp doesn't cost more than $300, please keep this in mind.

Comfort: They should be comfortable enough to be used for many hours in a row. This is why Sennheiser HD25 aren't an option for me, I'm wearing glasses and they're supposed to clamp really hard then. I've previously owned AKG K518 and after a couple of hour with them it starts hurting up where the headband sits on the head. This is something I don't want to experience again but I most likely won't as most headphones have padded headbands, just wanted to throw it out there.

Sound Quality is the highest priority but they also have to be comfortable. As I in my first post didn't give much details on what I wanted, this should make this easier both for me to get relevant options and for you to suggest headphones that suit my needs.

Thanks in advance for any reply's.

Dec 11, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #10,022 of 29,490
I bought Xonar DX and ad700, they have not arrived yet so I havn't tested them. I recently realised that Xonar DG has something called built in headphone amp, I really dont know what does the "amp" actually do. And that DX doesnt have amp.

So my question is: is the DG better choice for AD 700 because of the "headphone amp"? or is DX better anyway even without the amp. And allso I would like to know what exactly does the built in amp do

Dec 11, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #10,023 of 29,490

I have around $200 dollars. Most all my music is purchased in itunes(256kbps). Would you recommend I get just headphones for around 200 or ~$100 headphones and a amp/DAC or amp like; FiiO E7, FiiO E11, FiiO E5? I would like them closed back and over-ears as I plan to connect them to a Turtle Beach Ear Force now and again.... at night.

I would also like to use them with my iPhone for portable music(don't care if they are big) but I read the Sennheiser R170's are great. If you believe they would be better convenience and AQ wise, I would skip the headphones and amp goal for the 170's for home multipurpose; Video Games/Movies/Music. What are your thoughts kiteki? I am looking for just a good step up from my normal items... Jlab J2's, Vmoda Vibes, *and iphone buds.

*I'm very hesitant on the trigger because the fist expensive phones I purchased were Sennheiser MM50 iP's for $120 a long wile back-> I could only tell a very small improvement in sound clarity and they stop working 2 months later. 
mad.gif
    Sennheiser...
angry_face.gif

What I'm currently eyeing is;
-Superlux HD661 with FiiO E7/E11
-Audio Technica A700 with a FiiO E7
-Vmoda LP with FiiO E7
-Audio Technica M50 with a FiiO E11
-AKG K 272/Phiaton MS400/ATH-ESW9A/Vmoda LP2/Sennheiser HD 598(Sennheiser...
angry_face.gif
) with FiiO E5

or
-Sennheiser R170

Thanks for any help guys...

Dec 11, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #10,024 of 29,490
"I felt the 750 were reasonably comfortable, and I have a large head. Soundwise they are V shaped with a moderately punchy bass. Their construction feels durable, though I didn't really try abusing them to any degree.

For others to consider, maybe the Shure 440, KRK 6400, Senn HD280, Beyer DT250... these are all studio headphones that you should be able to find in music stores."

Thanks you've been a great help, all the other headphones you mentioned either were'nt availible on amazon.ca, or were beyond my budget in markup, except the HD280, which is notorious for having a plastic crack in the headband. Which I dont want. Its down to the SRH750DJ or THE MDRV6 :) Thanks again!

Dec 11, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #10,025 of 29,490
Hey guys, I need you help with choosing which set of headphones to get.  I'm looking for something that really kicks on bass(hence the username,which I just now realized is mispelled, ****).  I dont really care about portabilty, since I'm using it for home desktop and long trips only. I mainly listen to hip-hop, and will also use them for watching movies, etc.  And my budget is around 120ish. I was thinking about the Sony xb700s, but didn't know if there was anything better for my price range. If I need to go further into detail let me know! Thanks guys!

Dec 11, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #10,026 of 29,490
The Denon AH-D1100 would also fit in well in that price catagory.

Quote:
Hey guys, I need you help with choosing which set of headphones to get.  I'm looking for something that really kicks on bass(hence the username,which I just now realized is mispelled, ****).  I dont really care about portabilty, since I'm using it for home desktop and long trips only. I mainly listen to hip-hop, and will also use them for watching movies, etc.  And my budget is around 120ish. I was thinking about the Sony xb700s, but didn't know if there was anything better for my price range. If I need to go further into detail let me know! Thanks guys!

Dec 11, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #10,027 of 29,490

Hello, I wanted to ask all of you for advice, which is obvious. Normally I do that by researching sites like this/amazon/youtube for reviews, but I can't really see my next headphones very clearly as I saw my previous headphones.

My first audiophile's headphones were Koss PortaPro, which I liked very much, but they simply broke. I wanted something new, so I did my research and decided on Sennheiser HD205 which were good, but not that good as they broke too, so I disassembled them (that was fun). My next headphones were AKG K450 which were awesome - I never heard a better bass sound, but the cable broke (I don't have luck with cables, don't I?) and I repaired it myself. I sold them because they didn't do good with sound isolation, and I really wanted overear-cup headphones. So I started searching again, and found Sennheisers HD448, which have very high notes. They were good, although the bass wasn't as good as AKG's and they were extremely bad with my ipod. They made (that's what Google translator said) grunt bass noise, but they did good connected to a PC. Sadly, I needed money so I sold them and my ipod (I'm not a fan of apple in the first place) and I plan on something that will play closely/better than AKG's, will be over ear, noise cancelling and the design  close to my thought-of's. I play music mainly on my computer, but I also use them outside, for example connected to a phone. I'm also desperate since I'm using Sony Ericsson's earphones.

I would go like a stupid for Beats Studio, but since I had them on my head (3 friends from class have them) I say "What is this" to them. Something that bad yet it needs batteries. Cables are nice though...

My "thought of" list:

Sennheiser HD215
Shure SRH440
Shure SRH550 DJ
Teufel Aureol Massive
Beyerdynamic DTX 910

I read good things and bad things about them (well, not about BD's and Teufel's since no one tested them here, only at amazon). So I wanted to ask you: Which?

Also tell me if you have something to add to this list.

I listen to: Hip Hop, Rock, Dubstep, Trance, Electronic, Reggae, some classics.
Mainly Lossless quality, also vinyl lover.

Please help me choose, I really want to choose carefully!

Dec 11, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #10,028 of 29,490

Quote:
Here in Sweden the 32, 80 and 250 Ohm all cost pretty much the same and the 600 Ohm is way more expensive. It seems like the 32 and 80 Ohm are the same with the only exception of the impedance, not sure though. As far as amps go I've only got a PA2V2 pocket amp and I can't buy one for more than something around $70. Would the amp be able to handle the 250 Ohm or is there any amp for $70 or less that could? How are the headphones for listening to melodeath?

The 32-Ohm and 600-Ohm are "Premium" versions, slightly lighter clamping force and more comfortable.
The 80-Ohm and 250-Ohm are "Pro" versions, slightly tight clamping force, better isolation for working in a studio.
I find the comfort on my 80s and 250s to be just fine.

You can get single tube headphone amplifiers on eBay, prices start at $45, better models start at around $65, ships from China, takes 10 days.
Not worth it if you care about warranties, as it not worth it shipping it back to China.

Dec 11, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #10,029 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi,
I was deciding between the Sennheiser hd439 and the Sennheiser hd558.
Since the hd558 has a greater quality I'd go for that one but the headset is a bit "open" and I don't like sound leaking.
Is there anything similar to hd558 in quality (maybe even from the same brand) but that doesn't leak sound as much? also in a close price range?
Thanks in advance!
EDIT: Should not require an amp. Maybe as a plis but should get good quality without it already..

CALs (Creative Aurvana Live) closed, nice sound, only 32-Ohms.

Dec 11, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #10,030 of 29,490
Hey there, I'm looking for new headphones and an Amp.
I mostly listen to Rock and Jazz (dabble in some hip-hop and classical from time to time ;p) also to a lesser extent I want them for gaming.
I originally planned on buying the HD-650, but I feel they're a little bit overpriced in the UK. The cheapest I can get them for is around £270, whereas I can get the Dt-990 Pro for around £130. Do you think it's worth paying nearly double for them?
I'll also be looking for an amplifier and a dac. I have a FiiO e7 now, should I invest in a new dac (or get an amp with dac) or can I use that and just get a separate amp?

Dec 11, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #10,031 of 29,490

Quote:
I bought Xonar DX and ad700, they have not arrived yet so I havn't tested them. I recently realised that Xonar DG has something called built in headphone amp, I really dont know what does the "amp" actually do. And that DX doesnt have amp.
So my question is: is the DG better choice for AD 700 because of the "headphone amp"? or is DX better anyway even without the amp. And allso I would like to know what exactly does the built in amp do

The Xonar DX does not come with a dedicated headphone amplifier, but will work just fine with the ATH-AD700s.
My Xonar DX had no problems working with my 80-Ohm headphones and the ATH-AD700 are only 32-Ohms.
I do not think you would hear much difference between the DX or DG when using the ATH-AD700 headphones.
The DX is better then the DG when it comes to analog 5.1 or 7.1 speaker output.

Dec 11, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #10,033 of 29,490

Quote:

The 32-Ohm and 600-Ohm are "Premium" versions, slightly lighter clamping force and more comfortable.
The 80-Ohm and 250-Ohm are "Pro" versions, slightly tight clamping force, better isolation for working in a studio.
I find the comfort on my 80s and 250s to be just fine.

You can get single tube headphone amplifiers on eBay, prices start at $45, better models start at around $65, ships from China, takes 10 days.
Not worth it if you care about warranties, as it not worth it shipping it back to China.

So the PA2V2 can't drive the 250 Ohm properly? Is there a big difference in sound quality between 80 Ohm and 250 Ohm or just a slight one, and is the difference in the bass noticeable? How are they for melodeath?

Dec 11, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #10,034 of 29,490

Quote:
So the PA2V2 can't drive the 250 Ohm properly? Is there a big difference in sound quality between 80 Ohm and 250 Ohm or just a slight one, and is the difference in the bass noticeable? How are they for melodeath?

I'm not sure how well the PA2V2 would drive the 250-Ohms.

Not really a big difference in sound, eBay has lots of used (broken in) DT770 Pro 80-Ohms.
The 80--Ohms are the better choice for bassheads.

Dec 11, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #10,035 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

Regarding the transportation scenario, it's basically unplug the headphone, put it in my car and drive home/to work, on a daily basis. I think I should be OK with that... :p

After further research, at this point, it seems like I'm really set to get the D2000. Can you please elaborate on the D5000 vs D2000 a bit more? How does the different driver perform?

I've heard a D2000, a D5000 and modded D5000. Really not a world of difference unless you're already very familiar with each sound.

Quote:
Hi,

I was deciding between the Sennheiser hd439 and the Sennheiser hd558.

Since the hd558 has a greater quality I'd go for that one but the headset is a bit "open" and I don't like sound leaking.

Is there anything similar to hd558 in quality (maybe even from the same brand) but that doesn't leak sound as much? also in a close price range?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Should not require an amp. Maybe as a plis but should get good quality without it already..

Maybe a HD449?

Quote:
First I want to apologize for the unclarity in my previous posts. I wasn't really making clear what I wanted and I didn't really know to be honest. Now, let's start from scratch;

Usage: Music, melodeath only. I currently use Sennheiser PC350(primarily bought for gaming) and a PA2V2 pocket amp(it's my dad's but he never uses it so I thought I'd use it). These headphones sound good and all but they're made for gaming and lack a bit of bass. Of course I would like some more bass but not like the one in Sennheiser CX300-II precision as I also own.

Portability and durability: Not a main issue, wouldn't sacrifice SQ for this as they're pretty much only gonna be used at home and occasionally in a car.

Design: Preferably over-ear but on-ear would do as well. Closed or open back doesn't matter, my family members would if they heard some real music
biggrin.gif
. I could alternatively sit in my room, all I want is the best SQ.

Budget: $300. I do as mentioned earlier have a PA2V2 pocket amp that would work with some of the lower impedance headphones but I could of course buy a decent amp too, as long as the headphone+amp doesn't cost more than $300, please keep this in mind.

Comfort: They should be comfortable enough to be used for many hours in a row. This is why Sennheiser HD25 aren't an option for me, I'm wearing glasses and they're supposed to clamp really hard then. I've previously owned AKG K518 and after a couple of hour with them it starts hurting up where the headband sits on the head. This is something I don't want to experience again but I most likely won't as most headphones have padded headbands, just wanted to throw it out there.

Sound Quality is the highest priority but they also have to be comfortable. As I in my first post didn't give much details on what I wanted, this should make this easier both for me to get relevant options and for you to suggest headphones that suit my needs.

Thanks in advance for any reply's.

Perhaps a Beyer DT770

Quote:

An amp is what provides power to a headphone/speaker/etc. Most people don't really think about amps in terms of headphones since the power requirement is so low. However, just because the power requirements are low doesn't mean you can skimp on the quality. There are different things you have to consider for high power vs lower power, etc.

Most sound cards will already have a headphone amp built in. Ones that list a dedicated headphone amp in their specs just mean they have a "better" one. Some headphones do need a little more power than others, so stronger headphone amps may be required. 

The AD700 does not need all that much power, so you should be fine with the DX. 

Quote:

The XB700 is a good way to go.

Quote:

Hello, I wanted to ask all of you for advice, which is obvious. Normally I do that by researching sites like this/amazon/youtube for reviews, but I can't really see my next headphones very clearly as I saw my previous headphones.

My first audiophile's headphones were Koss PortaPro, which I liked very much, but they simply broke. I wanted something new, so I did my research and decided on Sennheiser HD205 which were good, but not that good as they broke too, so I disassembled them (that was fun). My next headphones were AKG K450 which were awesome - I never heard a better bass sound, but the cable broke (I don't have luck with cables, don't I?) and I repaired it myself. I sold them because they didn't do good with sound isolation, and I really wanted overear-cup headphones. So I started searching again, and found Sennheisers HD448, which have very high notes. They were good, although the bass wasn't as good as AKG's and they were extremely bad with my ipod. They made (that's what Google translator said) grunt bass noise, but they did good connected to a PC. Sadly, I needed money so I sold them and my ipod (I'm not a fan of apple in the first place) and I plan on something that will play closely/better than AKG's, will be over ear, noise cancelling and the design  close to my thought-of's. I play music mainly on my computer, but I also use them outside, for example connected to a phone. I'm also desperate since I'm using Sony Ericsson's earphones.

I would go like a stupid for Beats Studio, but since I had them on my head (3 friends from class have them) I say "What is this" to them. Something that bad yet it needs batteries. Cables are nice though...

My "thought of" list:

Sennheiser HD215
Shure SRH440
Shure SRH550 DJ
Teufel Aureol Massive
Beyerdynamic DTX 910

I read good things and bad things about them (well, not about BD's and Teufel's since no one tested them here, only at amazon). So I wanted to ask you: Which?

Also tell me if you have something to add to this list.

I listen to: Hip Hop, Rock, Dubstep, Trance, Electronic, Reggae, some classics.
Mainly Lossless quality, also vinyl lover.

Please help me choose, I really want to choose carefully!

Try to find a sale on the Shure 750 which will offer more ruggedness and a better cable over the 550. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back