++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 11, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #10,036 of 29,490

Quote:

I'm not sure how well the PA2V2 would drive the 250-Ohms.

Not really a big difference in sound, eBay has lots of used (broken in) DT770 Pro 80-Ohms.
The 80--Ohms are the better choice for bassheads.

Seems like the amp should be able to handle the 250 Ohm. Not really a basshead so I think I'm gonna get the 250 Ohm as soon as I've got the money for them 
redface.gif
 (both the 80 and 250 Ohm are much cheaper to buy new here than on eBay.) That will probably be after christmas so it isn't such a long wait.

Thanks for all the assistance, you've been very helpful 
smile.gif

Dec 11, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #10,037 of 29,490
Anybody have any experience with Maestro 450 Pro (CharterOak Sp-1)?  Are they comfy?  Too revealing?

Just want to know whether or not to consider them.  Semi-wide variety of music (relatively neutral preferred but I will use them for profuse gaming).

Dec 11, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #10,038 of 29,490
Dec 11, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #10,039 of 29,490
Hey Head-Fi'ers! I'm fairly new here, but I've spent the last week looking at what would be a good pair of headphones to get. I currently own Sennheiser HD428's, which I purchased last Friday -- not the 9th.. the 2nd of December, and I'm looking towards a pair of headphones that contains more "oomph" in the bass, but still manages to retain the mids,trebles, and vocals of music that I listen to. I was thinking on spending no less than $200, I also intend to purchase an e10 fiio portable DAC over x-mas, so I want a headphone that will benefit from this. I was thinking along the lines of ATH-PRO700MK2s, 225is, M50s,HD555s, or something of the sort. I want the sound preserved overall, but I do not want a muddy bass or treble in my music.... Any advice?

EDIT: would it be better to purchase a home amp or DAC? I heard they cost more, but the quality is better. :frowning2: My wallet would murder me. I also usually listen to rock, some party music/dubstep, and I want a fairly cozy sound-stage to work with. No preference on open vs closed cans. THe HD428's have approximately 45hrs of burn in.

Dec 11, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #10,041 of 29,490

Quote:
Oh wow, I missed the boat on that.  Thanks!

No problemo. 

Quote:
Hey Head-Fi'ers! I'm fairly new here, but I've spent the last week looking at what would be a good pair of headphones to get. I currently own Sennheiser HD428's, which I purchased last Friday -- not the 9th.. the 2nd of December, and I'm looking towards a pair of headphones that contains more "oomph" in the bass, but still manages to retain the mids,trebles, and vocals of music that I listen to. I was thinking on spending no less than $200, I also intend to purchase an e10 fiio portable DAC over x-mas, so I want a headphone that will benefit from this. I was thinking along the lines of ATH-PRO700MK2s, 225is, M50s,HD555s, or something of the sort. I want the sound preserved overall, but I do not want a muddy bass or treble in my music.... Any advice?

EDIT: would it be better to purchase a home amp or DAC? I heard they cost more, but the quality is better. :frowning2: My wallet would murder me. I also usually listen to rock, some party music/dubstep, and I want a fairly cozy sound-stage to work with. No preference on open vs closed cans. THe HD428's have approximately 45hrs of burn in.

A desktop amplifier would be overkill for any of the headphones you listed, imo. You don't need a DAC unless your PC or laptop is unbelievably noisy. You can't use a DAC for portable use anyways, so imo, don't bother. Party music/dubstep will drown out any hiss present. Don't get Grados because they have an upfront presentation (no 3D sound stage to speak of) and lack sub-bass thump needed for dubstep and party/house music. I haven't heard the HD555 but they're said to be rather light in the bass department so cancel that off too. 

Audio Technica Pro 700 MK2 -- http://www.head-fi.org/t/553735/audio-technica-ath-pro700mk2-review-take-two-subwoofers-straight-to-the-head

Dec 11, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #10,042 of 29,490

Ok, Thanks for the help! :)
Quote:

No problemo. 

A desktop amplifier would be overkill for any of the headphones you listed, imo. You don't need a DAC unless your PC or laptop is unbelievably noisy. You can't use a DAC for portable use anyways, so imo, don't bother. Party music/dubstep will drown out any hiss present. Don't get Grados because they have an upfront presentation (no 3D sound stage to speak of) and lack sub-bass thump needed for dubstep and party/house music. I haven't heard the HD555 but they're said to be rather light in the bass department so cancel that off too. 

Audio Technica Pro 700 MK2 -- http://www.head-fi.org/t/553735/audio-technica-ath-pro700mk2-review-take-two-subwoofers-straight-to-the-head

Dec 11, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #10,043 of 29,490
Dec 11, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #10,044 of 29,490
Lookin' for new headphones for my brother and I.
$50-$120 range

Brother

Preferations: Nice Isolation is a must. Over the ear and closed.
Currently using: Generic Apple earbuds...poor thing.
Thinking of buying for him: Grado Sr80i, Grado Sr60i, or Sennheiser HD280 Pros, or Sennheiser HD448 .

Me

Likes: 90% Game music (Think Zelda or World of Warcraft...I guess its classical if you need broader?). 10% Alternative rock (think Fall out Boy...guilty pleasure I swear).
Preferations: Also nice isolation is a must (I live in a dorm). Also over the ear and closed. Comfort is important but not as much as isolation. Soundstage is important, don't care about bass unless its too boomy and bouncy.
Currently using: $45 Skullcandys.
Thinking of buying for me: was more concerned with my bro =( didn't have time to look.

Dec 11, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #10,045 of 29,490

Do not get a Grado! They are the most open headphones I've ever owned and have zero isolation, which would be terrible in your situation.
If you can find the Audio-Technical ATH-M50 for $110-120, that'd be probably the most optimal option. The Ultrasone Alienware is probably also a great choice at $75, but that is sadly out of stock right now.
Quote:
Lookin' for new headphones for my brother and I.
$50-$120 range

Brother

Preferations: Nice Isolation is a must. Over the ear and closed.
Currently using: Generic Apple earbuds...poor thing.
Thinking of buying for him: Grado Sr80i, Grado Sr60i, or Sennheiser HD280 Pros, or Sennheiser HD448 .

Me

Likes: 90% Game music (Think Zelda or World of Warcraft...I guess its classical if you need broader?). 10% Alternative rock (think Fall out Boy...guilty pleasure I swear).
Preferations: Also nice isolation is a must (I live in a dorm). Also over the ear and closed. Comfort is important but not as much as isolation. Soundstage is important, don't care about bass unless its too boomy and bouncy.
Currently using: $45 Skullcandys.
Thinking of buying for me: was more concerned with my bro =( didn't have time to look.

Dec 11, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #10,046 of 29,490

Thank you so much!

Quote:
Do not get a Grado! They are the most open headphones I've ever owned and have zero isolation, which would be terrible in your situation.
If you can find the Audio-Technical ATH-M50 for $110-120, that'd be probably the most optimal option. The Ultrasone Alienware is probably also a great choice at $75, but that is sadly out of stock right now.

Dec 11, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #10,047 of 29,490
Crap, I saw this after I made a post. Here is my thread:

Hello all!

Thanks for taking your time to read this, I have a question for all of you!

I am buying a new computer to play SW:TOR. I would like to buy a semi decent headset (Only in the 150 or less range I'm afraid) to use. I have a larger head and everything I read about the AD700 made me super excited... until I read that it has no bass. I listen a lot of music that tends to be a bit bass heavy (Rock, Hardcore rock etc).

So, does anyone have any suggestions for a nice headset that is comfortable for 5-12 hour sessions of use for someone with a bigger than average head that has some oomph to it. Open or closed it doesn't matter but everything I'm reading says Open is the way to go for what I want.  I don't need it to shake my house.. but I heard the AD700's have no bass and that's not acceptable.

Also currently using Logictech G330's

Thanks so much!

Your friendly neighborhood snack,

Zebracakes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back