++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 10, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #9,991 of 29,490
I've actually read this forum for a really long time and it led me to my current setup with a Fiio E9/E7 and beyer dt 770 pro 250 ohm. I finally decided to join and I've got some headphone money burning a hole in my pocket. I'm looking for a set that will compliment my beyers, that will shine in areas the beyers arent the best at and that will be properly amped by the fiio combo. (someday i will be able to justify a tube amp and an upgrade to dt 990 600's but that day is not today even though every time i come to this forum i feel it creeping closer)

My initial instinct is to try a pair of Denon D2000's or possibly D5000's if someone could help me understand if the performance gain is similar to the price difference or if its only marginal. These cans are really only just stuck in my head from really wanting a set when i first got into this. Ive also not read a ton about grados. I also am not looking for something analytical

I would appreciate any and all advice!!

Dec 10, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #9,992 of 29,490

I'm a complete noob in the world of headphones; the most expensive I've owned was the Sennheiser HD201s. Since I now have a job and therefore spare money I'd like to actually get some decent headphones, although I know almost absolutely nothing about headphones in terms of sound quality. I have done some research, so I understand the terminology.

Music genres: A lot of my music is metal of various type; progressive/djent as per Animals as Leaders, symphonic as per Dragonland, screamy-growly-Visual-Kei as per -OZ-, as well as electronic; chiptune as per Kitsune2, IDM as per The Flashbulb, and some electronica as per she. Probably more focused on the metal though.
Portable: Yes, the occasional bus-ing and walking
Price range: Up to $200 AUD
Closed/Open: Probably closed for the somewhat more bassy music, and for the fact that I'll probably be around people occasionally, but it's not a huge priority.
Headphone preference: I've never really entered the world of headphones over $30, so I honestly don't know
Source: 320kbps mp3s from a Zune HD
Notes: I live in Australia, so availability and pricing is an issue.

Dec 10, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #9,993 of 29,490

Quote:

The PC350 is based on the HD380 chassis which is already a decent headphone. 

If you're looking for other options, well first you should stick to closed headphones if you don't want to let out too much noise. Maybe consider something like an Ultrasone HFi780? or something more portable like the M80. 

The PC350 indeed is pretty good, much better than my AKG K518 and Senn CX300-II precision, especially for gaming. Would upgrading to one of the phones you mentioned or Senn HD25 significantly increase sound quality or would it stay on the same level, would it be worth upgrading? The PC350 lack some bass so it would be nice with some more but not on the level of CX300-II. If we just look at the sound of the different phones, which one is best? They all look like viable options but I wouldn't sacrifice SQ for something like portability or durability as they will pretty much only be used at home and sometimes when travelling by car. By the way, how well are the headphones drivven by a PA2V2 pocket amp? I'm not gonna spend a lot of money on some expensive amp atm, maybe in the future but that's what I have now :).

Thanks in advance for any reply's.

Edit: I read your (Armaegis) thread where you review and compare the Sennheiser HD25-1-ii, HD25-13-ii, V-Moda M80 and some other ones. You wrote that the HD25-1-ii clamped very hard, especially for people with glasses. I've got glasses and I'm just wondering if it's really uncomfortable or just slightly worse than without? If it hurts much then they're no longer an option.

Dec 10, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #9,994 of 29,490
Code:
 The M50 does not need extra amping, but the DT770 likes to have more. If you intend to travel with them as well, the M50 would be more suitable since they can fold up for portability, whereas the DT770 is quite large. On the other hand, the DT770 isolate quite a bit better than the M50. If you'd like a portable full-sized headphone with high isolation, the Senn HD280 is the way to go.

Thanks for the input, Armaegis!

For me it's all about the sound quality and the ability to carry them around without them getting in the way or breaking. I have done further searching, a lot of people like the sound quality of the Denon AHD 2000, but I've read also that they aren't very durable, is this true?
I also chanced across the ATH Pro 700 mk2, which seems to be similar to the M50.

I suppose price/performance comes in to play on what would be worth it for me then. Out of headphones I've come across and like so far, the DT770 and ATH 700promk2 are the same price (I'll use them as the guide, roughly £140), the AHD2000s being 25% more, the M50s being 20% less, and those Sennheiser HD 280's being 35% less and finally the Ultrasones are going for just a tad more than the initial price.
I looked at a few of the more bassy models because, while not a basshead per-se, if I am listening to music with a good emphasis on the beat, I do like to have a lot of bass so would usually end up turning my subs up at home or what not, however in other scenarios (say, symphonic or acoustic) I'd turn my subs down.

In summary, which of all the mess of headphones I listed (and any others below £250), will give generally give a listening experience I'll probably be going back to, by having a good overall range? 
At the moment I'm most partial to the ATH 700s, but given how overpowering the bass on them may be, I am somewhat concerned for mids and highs in non-bassy songs.
Thanks again!

(Edit: perhaps to make things a bit easier so you can compare audio "feel" for me, the only [semi-decent] headphones I've really had a chance to listen to would be Beats by Dre Dre(in store), Bose AE2s (in store), and then my old Sennheiser CX6 and CX300 IEMs, which are what I've used whenever not at home. I do like the CX6, but they're fiddly to get right and are just...lacking given that I really do enjoy getting in to my music, but I don't think any IEMs really allow that).

Dec 10, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #9,995 of 29,490

Quote:
If you really want to get a new Grado in Canada, consider the Alessandro line. They're basically the same thing except tuned to have a slightly smoother treble, and they ship outside the US without crazy mark up. 

The 750 is a decent can. Lots of bass, kinda scooped mids. Keep an eye out for the Futureshop sales which occasionally have the 750 at 50% off. 

Hrm, alright. Just one more question on the MS1 and SR60s. I never wore either of them yet, and while everyone says that they're good headphones, and even some say "the gateway drug to audiophilia", are the durable and comfortable enough to be my "life" headphones? Not just for when I'm in my quiet room, but with me outside and everywhere? A look at them doesnt really look quite that sturdy, and the metal adjuster slide on them; previous models of headphones that I've had that have had that metal slide adjuster were very uncomfortable, readjusting themelves for no reason just for fun when they're not on your head. Do the MS1 and Grado SR60s have this problem?

Edit: Just took a check, and I cant get the MS1s on amazon.ca, so if I dont see them at Long and McQuade, I'm pretty screwed over for getting these phones. People say these are better than the SR60's, but is the difference so large that they're very different headphones? Are the SR60's better or worse than the V6s and SRH750DJs? Are they on par?

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #9,996 of 29,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnstone

Hello all.

Just wanted a quick advice (or more; "I just want to have people say that the headphones I've already settled on are good enough" ...though I will change if the experts say no=P )

So yeah, I don't have a lot of experience with midrange headphones. Own some Sennheiser 555 (my first envoy to the better), and I find those to be quite... well, they sound like listening to music through a wall (though they were a great improvement over my previous headphones at the time).

After that, I got myself some Audio-Technica ATH-A900, and I must admit that I love them.

The issue is, however, that after years of rigorous use, my trusty A900 have finally met its demise (A very prolonged demise, I must say. Most of the headphone is covered in electrical-tape, with bits and pieces of cardboard and plastic for support).

So, for Christmas, I've decided to treat myself to some new headphones (or, have friends and family treat me with a headphone of my choosing).

Currently, my headphone uses consist of, but not limited to;

Classical Music (Mostly heavier pieces; Rachmaninov, Rimsky-Korsakov, Sibelius, Tchaikovsky, + more vocal pieces like Messa da Requiem)

Rock/Pop (mostly pre-80s)

Metal (mostly of the more melodic sort, Opeth and the likes)

Movies

Computer Gaming (Doesn't take up as much time as it used to, but I still enjoy playing, sometimes hours on end. mostly first person, so the soundstage is important)

I've been lurking through the forums some, and found that the best choice for me would probably be a Fischer Audio FA-003, or FA-002w

I have also considered the FA-011 and Shure SRH840 (But for the FA-011 I'm worried about my music-collection that is mostly not remastered, the high highs got me scared. Any input appreciated. For the Shure, well it just seems to have gotten a lot less attention, and I've seen a lot of reports about it being uncomfortable, and I value comfort highly).

I've set my max to about 250 USD, included shipping to Europe (so more like 220 USD)

Any input or recommendations will be welcome, though I've halfway set on either the FA-003 or FA-002w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis

How about an Audio Technica AD900? It would be the open version of the A900 and offers much smoother sound and staging.

I don't really consider it an option. Though I love my good old A900, I really want to progress from it. The AH900 is, after all, just an open version of A900 (with the pros and cons that entitles).
I am still looking for opinions why weather or not to buy the headphones I've earlier listed though. (And I'm still heavily leaning towards the FA-002w Beech 8st)

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #9,997 of 29,490

Quote:
I've actually read this forum for a really long time and it led me to my current setup with a Fiio E9/E7 and beyer dt 770 pro 250 ohm. I finally decided to join and I've got some headphone money burning a hole in my pocket. I'm looking for a set that will compliment my beyers, that will shine in areas the beyers arent the best at and that will be properly amped by the fiio combo. (someday i will be able to justify a tube amp and an upgrade to dt 990 600's but that day is not today even though every time i come to this forum i feel it creeping closer)

My initial instinct is to try a pair of Denon D2000's or possibly D5000's if someone could help me understand if the performance gain is similar to the price difference or if its only marginal. These cans are really only just stuck in my head from really wanting a set when i first got into this. Ive also not read a ton about grados. I also am not looking for something analytical

I would appreciate any and all advice!!

I think the D2000 are still available for $250 if you know where to look/bargain. The D5000 has different drivers and deeper extension, though in my mind not worth the price bump (the aesthetic is nice though, and the D7000 is yet another nicer shell on top but the same driver)

The DT990 can usually be found <$200 too. 

Quote:

I'm a complete noob in the world of headphones; the most expensive I've owned was the Sennheiser HD201s. Since I now have a job and therefore spare money I'd like to actually get some decent headphones, although I know almost absolutely nothing about headphones in terms of sound quality. I have done some research, so I understand the terminology.

Music genres: A lot of my music is metal of various type; progressive/djent as per Animals as Leaders, symphonic as per Dragonland, screamy-growly-Visual-Kei as per -OZ-, as well as electronic; chiptune as per Kitsune2, IDM as per The Flashbulb, and some electronica as per she. Probably more focused on the metal though.
Portable: Yes, the occasional bus-ing and walking
Price range: Up to $200 AUD
Closed/Open: Probably closed for the somewhat more bassy music, and for the fact that I'll probably be around people occasionally, but it's not a huge priority.
Headphone preference: I've never really entered the world of headphones over $30, so I honestly don't know
Source: 320kbps mp3s from a Zune HD
Notes: I live in Australia, so availability and pricing is an issue.

Audio Technica M50
Shure 750

Quote:
The PC350 indeed is pretty good, much better than my AKG K518 and Senn CX300-II precision, especially for gaming. Would upgrading to one of the phones you mentioned or Senn HD25 significantly increase sound quality or would it stay on the same level, would it be worth upgrading? The PC350 lack some bass so it would be nice with some more but not on the level of CX300-II. If we just look at the sound of the different phones, which one is best? They all look like viable options but I wouldn't sacrifice SQ for something like portability or durability as they will pretty much only be used at home and sometimes when travelling by car. By the way, how well are the headphones drivven by a PA2V2 pocket amp? I'm not gonna spend a lot of money on some expensive amp atm, maybe in the future but that's what I have now :).

Thanks in advance for any reply's.

Edit: I read your (Armaegis) thread where you review and compare the Sennheiser HD25-1-ii, HD25-13-ii, V-Moda M80 and some other ones. You wrote that the HD25-1-ii clamped very hard, especially for people with glasses. I've got glasses and I'm just wondering if it's really uncomfortable or just slightly worse than without? If it hurts much then they're no longer an option.

The HD25 are quite uncomfortable for me. I can only wear them for about 10-15 minutes before I have to adjust.

I would not consider the M50 a particularly noticeable upgrade, though it'll offer a but more punch in the bass. The DT770 is very strong in the bass, and sonically while not a favourite of mine I would consider it a decent upgrade.

Quote:
Code:
 The M50 does not need extra amping, but the DT770 likes to have more. If you intend to travel with them as well, the M50 would be more suitable since they can fold up for portability, whereas the DT770 is quite large. On the other hand, the DT770 isolate quite a bit better than the M50. If you'd like a portable full-sized headphone with high isolation, the Senn HD280 is the way to go.

Thanks for the input, Armaegis!

For me it's all about the sound quality and the ability to carry them around without them getting in the way or breaking. I have done further searching, a lot of people like the sound quality of the Denon AHD 2000, but I've read also that they aren't very durable, is this true?
I also chanced across the ATH Pro 700 mk2, which seems to be similar to the M50.

I suppose price/performance comes in to play on what would be worth it for me then. Out of headphones I've come across and like so far, the DT770 and ATH 700promk2 are the same price (I'll use them as the guide, roughly £140), the AHD2000s being 25% more, the M50s being 20% less, and those Sennheiser HD 280's being 35% less and finally the Ultrasones are going for just a tad more than the initial price.
I looked at a few of the more bassy models because, while not a basshead per-se, if I am listening to music with a good emphasis on the beat, I do like to have a lot of bass so would usually end up turning my subs up at home or what not, however in other scenarios (say, symphonic or acoustic) I'd turn my subs down.

In summary, which of all the mess of headphones I listed (and any others below £250), will give generally give a listening experience I'll probably be going back to, by having a good overall range? 
At the moment I'm most partial to the ATH 700s, but given how overpowering the bass on them may be, I am somewhat concerned for mids and highs in non-bassy songs.
Thanks again!

(Edit: perhaps to make things a bit easier so you can compare audio "feel" for me, the only [semi-decent] headphones I've really had a chance to listen to would be Beats by Dre Dre(in store), Bose AE2s (in store), and then my old Sennheiser CX6 and CX300 IEMs, which are what I've used whenever not at home. I do like the CX6, but they're fiddly to get right and are just...lacking given that I really do enjoy getting in to my music, but I don't think any IEMs really allow that).

The D2000 are not durable and definitely not something I would carry around with me. 

The Pro700mk2 are known to be quite bassy and are DJ cans so their durability is quite high. This would probably be your best choice. 

Quote:
Hrm, alright. Just one more question on the MS1 and SR60s. I never wore either of them yet, and while everyone says that they're good headphones, and even some say "the gateway drug to audiophilia", are the durable and comfortable enough to be my "life" headphones? Not just for when I'm in my quiet room, but with me outside and everywhere? A look at them doesnt really look quite that sturdy, and the metal adjuster slide on them; previous models of headphones that I've had that have had that metal slide adjuster were very uncomfortable, readjusting themelves for no reason just for fun when they're not on your head. Do the MS1 and Grado SR60s have this problem?

Edit: Just took a check, and I cant get the MS1s on amazon.ca, so if I dont see them at Long and McQuade, I'm pretty screwed over for getting these phones. People say these are better than the SR60's, but is the difference so large that they're very different headphones? Are the SR60's better or worse than the V6s and SRH750DJs? Are they on par?

You have to order Alessandro headphones directly from their site. I don't think they're available anywhere else as far as I know. Grado/Alessandro headphones have no isolation whatsoever, making them unsuitable for quiet places like a library, or noisy environments. I would say the MS1 is on par with or slightly above the SR80. Honestly I have trouble differentiating between the 60/80/MS1/125/225; they are all quite close. 

Given your requirements, I still say the Sony V6/7506 is your best choice. Decent isolation, good durability, portable. 

Quote:

I don't really consider it an option. Though I love my good old A900, I really want to progress from it. The AH900 is, after all, just an open version of A900 (with the pros and cons that entitles).
I am still looking for opinions why weather or not to buy the headphones I've earlier listed though. (And I'm still heavily leaning towards the FA-002w Beech 8st)

I haven't heard any Fischer headphones so I can't make any comparisons there. For what it's worth, I really liked the 840 and it was one of my favourites in its price range, but I ultimately sold it due to fit issues. 

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #9,998 of 29,490
" You have to order Alessandro headphones directly from their site. I don't think they're available anywhere else as far as I know. Grado/Alessandro headphones have no isolation whatsoever, making them unsuitable for quiet places like a library, or noisy environments. I would say the MS1 is on par with or slightly above the SR80. Honestly I have trouble differentiating between the 60/80/MS1/125/225; they are all quite close.

Given your requirements, I still say the Sony V6/7506 is your best choice. Decent isolation, good durability, portable. "

Yeah I decided to go looking around on head-fi reviews of the SR60 and MS1 and the consensus seems that for comfort, you either have to wait a long time to get accustomed to it, or mod it (I dont mind modding it, but I'd rather not if its just for comfort), their isolation is moot, some reviews say people from 5m away from the headphones can hear ttheir music loud and clear even if the headphones are at full volume load. Also, Im personally not as much as a fan of the design as the SRH750DJ or V6, so really, the only thing alluring me so much were the reviews that the sound quality is amazing, I somehow overlooked that these headphones are about as open as they get and the isolation is moot, so the beautiful music you're going to hear is going to be muddled by outside noises or everyone else in the room can hear your music. Also the fact you cant order MS1's from amazon is a bummer. I think I'm going to drop those from my shortlist.

Also, any comments on the SRH750DJ? No one has ever said anything about them when I mentioned them.

And what's the real-world difference between the V6 and 7506 Sony 's? Is one better than the other? One more expensive?

And finally I'd like to really thank you! You've been such a great help to me! You're awesome ^w^

Edit: I went looking around a bit more again and found most people saying the build quality of the SRH750s to be only okay, and the comfort to be quite bad. On top of that, some people said it will only fit for people with small heads, and I myself have an averageish-larger head. I think this may be a problem for me. And other say the extender is weak, which I really hate since my DJ-RPS400s had weak extenders, and I dont want a relapse of returning the phones to amazon every other month. Have you any experience with these headphones so that I can see if these headphones will fit my needs?

Also, any other headphones you can reccomend, or only the V6 and 7506? :D Thanks again!

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #9,999 of 29,490

Quote:
The D2000 are not durable and definitely not something I would carry around with me. 

The Pro700mk2 are known to be quite bassy and are DJ cans so their durability is quite high. This would probably be your best choice. 

Thanks again Armaegis!
I have just purchased the Pro700mk2s (from an authorised retailer). Total came to £150, with a private courier, 24 hour shipping (didn't want to wait all that extra time, given it's Christmas).
I was very tempted to go and buy the Sennheiser HD25 II, then I thought that since it is "average" in every respect it won't really feel special in any genre, so maybe at some point I'll buy some Sennheiser 650s or the like for more lighter listening/piano playing and really get the ball rolling on becoming a Headphone enthusiast hehe.
It also came down to aesthetics (surprisingly, since I don't particularly care about them, but when in a deadlock, something has to break it!), the HD 25s, while looking very portable and durable just look a bit dull. The only other factor was the very reason I was tempted in to the full-size headphone market in the first place: A friend of mine has some Beats by Dre and let me try them (and admittingly, they did sound at lot better than what I was accustomed to while on the go), he remarked how awesome the bass is, so maybe at some point I'll get to return the favour by showing him the bass on the Pro 700s!
Once I have them and have played with them a bit, I'll try and get back here to let you all know how I get on with them, given my very mixed listening preferences.
So, once again my thanks for being supportive, and have yourself a Merry Christmas!

Dec 10, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #10,000 of 29,490

Quote:

The HD25 are quite uncomfortable for me. I can only wear them for about 10-15 minutes before I have to adjust.

I would not consider the M50 a particularly noticeable upgrade, though it'll offer a but more punch in the bass. The DT770 is very strong in the bass, and sonically while not a favourite of mine I would consider it a decent upgrade.

Could you please explain the thing about sonically, I'm kinda newb at this :). Are the DT770 well fit for melodic death metal? They look like a good set of phones that are comfortable and I've read some positive reviews about sound and comfort. There seems to be a couple of different versions, 32 Ohm impedance, 80 Ohm, 250 Ohm and 600 Ohm. The 600 Ohm and 250 Ohm are clearly out of my league as I just have my little PA2V2 pocket amp. What is the difference between the 32 Ohm and 80 Ohm if both are drivven correctly? My amp should be able to handle the 80 Ohm if they offer better SQ, or something, right?

Dec 10, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #10,001 of 29,490

Quote:
Could you please explain the thing about sonically, I'm kinda newb at this :). Are the DT770 well fit for melodic death metal? They look like a good set of phones that are comfortable and I've read some positive reviews about sound and comfort. There seems to be a couple of different versions, 32 Ohm impedance, 80 Ohm, 250 Ohm and 600 Ohm. The 600 Ohm and 250 Ohm are clearly out of my league as I just have my little PA2V2 pocket amp. What is the difference between the 32 Ohm and 80 Ohm if both are drivven correctly? My amp should be able to handle the 80 Ohm if they offer better SQ, or something, right?

Beyerdynamic DT 32-Ohm versions are usually more expensive and have the least amount of bass.

Dec 10, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #10,003 of 29,490
I was thinking about replacing my Sony XB500s with a pair of v moda m80s as I have been listening to much more rock than I used to but i still don't know if they will provide enough bass as I need. I need something that hits the low end bass when I listen to drum&bass or some rap but be able to play rock very clearly which I don't feel like the sonys can do well enough for me. from what I've read the m80s don't need an amp but would an amp be able to perk up the low end on them without making them muddy (if so what amp that) or is there another pair of headphones that can hit the lows while still get good mids and highs? They don't need to shake my head when played loud like the sonys. I listen to Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Pendulum, A7X, a little blink 182 some deadmou5, faithless, Hendrix, kid cudi, linkin park, wiz khalifa, and a little bit of various dubstep and pop/dance music (this is just more of the common stuff I listen to). I would say I listen to the rock about 60-70% of the time.

Gonna add in that I would prefer over ear over on ear but not completely necessary.

Dec 10, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #10,004 of 29,490
Shure 840 vs ATH m50s. 

I believe both are quite good at noise isolation (IMPORTANT) and can be portable? But which one is better for someone that can range from Skrillex(dubstep/electro)-------Classical 
My total budget is 190>
I'm looking for a cans that are a lil of a mixture of use about mobile and home, like i want to use them while walking around campus but most of the time i'm going to be sitting down/chilling. I'm more of in the middle about being a basshead and an audiophile balance. Fit is generally not a problem, avg sized head. Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back