++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 16, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #9,196 of 29,490
Hey everyone, been lurking a little bit but the time has finally come to invest in some decent headphones. I don't know too much so any help is greatly appreciated. I am looking for something with impressive sound qualities, high volume w/o static, solid layers of bass sound. I listen to a good amount of electronic music (as well as other things) and I like hearing every little layer of music so headphones that handle space well would be nice. Comfort would be nice too. I normally use an ipod classic, iphone4 or macbook to listen to music. I tried a friends beats by dre last week and thought they were nothing special and completely overpriced. I am looking to spend around $150 tops.

I see lots of people here talk about sennheisers, Crutchfield's has the sennheiser 280 pro for $80 right now...am I going to find something better thats still worth shelling out more than that, but less than 150 for????

Thanks for your help!

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #9,197 of 29,490

The Senn PX 360 have some really nice bass

They also isolate really well and are easy to drive, so getting good volume out of them will be easy

They are also very portable.  Impressions on the link in the signature if you want more
Quote:
Hey everyone, been lurking a little bit but the time has finally come to invest in some decent headphones. I don't know too much so any help is greatly appreciated. I am looking for something with impressive sound qualities, high volume w/o static, solid layers of bass sound. I listen to a good amount of electronic music (as well as other things) and I like hearing every little layer of music so headphones that handle space well would be nice. Comfort would be nice too. I normally use an ipod classic, iphone4 or macbook to listen to music. I tried a friends beats by dre last week and thought they were nothing special and completely overpriced. I am looking to spend around $150 tops.

I see lots of people here talk about sennheisers, Crutchfield's has the sennheiser 280 pro for $80 right now...am I going to find something better thats still worth shelling out more than that, but less than 150 for????

Thanks for your help!

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #9,198 of 29,490
does it have any sense to buy FiiO E7 or xonar dg amp will be enough for Shure srh840?

Originally Posted by Armaegis

The 840 was one of my favourites, but I just couldn't get it to fit comfortable on my head. If you get a chance to try it for comfort, I'd recommend that one.

Quote:
ok, so i just ordered  Shure srh840 
biggrin.gif
should be with me in 2 weeks and will let you know !!! THANK YOU 

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #9,199 of 29,490
The 840 doesn't really need an amp in my experience. It sounds just fine out of an ipod or other portable device. I've tried various amps and it just felt like sidesteps in sound.

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #9,200 of 29,490
Hello,

I've been using the AKG-K77 since getting them for Christmas last year but am looking to upgrade this Christmas.

-I listen to mostly rock music, with some acoustic and hip-hop sprinkled in.
-I would like to keep my budget around $100, but could probably stretch it to $150 if needed.
-I do not have an amp as of yet, but would like to in the future.
-I would also like to have a headphone that is mod friendly in the future, as it is something I am interested in getting into.

Thanks in advance!

Eric

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #9,201 of 29,490
thats perfect ! if it sounds just fine with ipod then it will sound more then fine with xonar dg headphone amp !!!! thank you once again :) 

Quote:
The 840 doesn't really need an amp in my experience. It sounds just fine out of an ipod or other portable device. I've tried various amps and it just felt like sidesteps in sound.

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #9,202 of 29,490
Thanks! Your reviews were helpful.
Do you have any idea how the px360 would match up against the HD 598? I can get HD 598's are 200 shipped right now, these headphones seem pretty kick ass as well. Bass is less important than overall sound to me. Even though I am more of a casual listenter, sound quality is important to me and I don't want to be left wanting more when it comes to bass, or any other aspect of sound. More information on music I frequently listen to would be electronic jam bands like sts9 and the disco biscuits as well as a good amount of nu-disco style house and electronic artists like apparat, aphex twin, bluetech, booka shade, dzihan and kamien and ulrich schnauss. I also throw in some solo guitar or piano acts coupled with strong vocals.  

Anyone have more suggestions for great overall headphones in the $100-200 range? Thanks!

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #9,203 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks! Your reviews were helpful.
Do you have any idea how the px360 would match up against the HD 598? I can get HD 598's are 200 shipped right now, these headphones seem pretty kick ass as well. Bass is less important than overall sound to me. Even though I am more of a casual listenter, sound quality is important to me and I don't want to be left wanting more when it comes to bass, or any other aspect of sound. More information on music I frequently listen to would be electronic jam bands like sts9 and the disco biscuits as well as a good amount of nu-disco style house and electronic artists like apparat, aphex twin, bluetech, booka shade, dzihan and kamien and ulrich schnauss. I also throw in some solo guitar or piano acts coupled with strong vocals.  

Anyone have more suggestions for great overall headphones in the $100-200 range? Thanks!

Quote:

Thanks for your help!

After some research In my $100-200 priceline I am looking at sennheiser hd598 @ $200 and shure srh840 @ about $140-150 and sennheiser 280 for $80. Anyone got any pointers what would be the best way to go from here or suggestions of other cans to check out??. Just looking for a really great overall headphone without breaking the bank. Thanks for the help

Nov 16, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #9,205 of 29,490
Hello,

I just joined this forum and planning to upgrade to a better headphones. i don't know much about headphones that's why i joined this forum. currently i own a sennheiser hd280 pro and love everything about it but it's pretty old already and want something new and better. it will only be used mostly on my ipod and on my laptop every once in a while for music and movies. i listen to all sorts of music from techno,r&b, rock, alternative, hip-hop, alternative, new wave. what i love about my hd280 is i can hear all the instruments playing clearly but i want a little more bass with it, i borrowed my brothers beats pro and i didn't like it since the sound isn't as clear as my hd280, the only thing i liked about it is the design and the bass but hated everything else about it. what would you guys recommend? my budget is around $150-200.

thanks in advance!

Nov 16, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #9,206 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello,
I just joined this forum and planning to upgrade to a better headphones. i don't know much about headphones that's why i joined this forum. currently i own a sennheiser hd280 pro and love everything about it but it's pretty old already and want something new and better. it will only be used mostly on my ipod and on my laptop every once in a while for music and movies. i listen to all sorts of music from techno,r&b, rock, alternative, hip-hop, alternative, new wave. what i love about my hd280 is i can hear all the instruments playing clearly but i want a little more bass with it, i borrowed my brothers beats pro and i didn't like it since the sound isn't as clear as my hd280, the only thing i liked about it is the design and the bass but hated everything else about it. what would you guys recommend? my budget is around $150-200.
thanks in advance!

The HD-280s are closed headphone, for new headphones do you care if open or closed.
A low cost headphone amplifier (some come with bass boost) might improve the sound of your current HD-280s.

Nov 16, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #9,207 of 29,490

Quote:
The HD-280s are closed headphone, for new headphones do you care if open or closed.
A low cost headphone amplifier (some come with bass boost) might improve the sound of your current HD-280s.

i want one closed and not planning to use an amplifier since it will mostly be used for my ipod. i'm looking at the v-moda crossfade lp right now, will that fit my criteria?

Nov 16, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #9,208 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm primarily an IEM user looking to step into the realm of full-sized headphones. Truthfully, I don't even know where to start.

My current pair of IEMs (and my current benchmark) are a pair of VSonic GR07s (which I love). The R07s are everything I'm looking for in terms of a sound signature. They are a sort of "everyman" headphone. For those of you who have not yet had the pleasure of hearing them, they have fairly speedy bass with just enough punch and good extension, the mids are smooth with a bit a warmth, and the high end is pretty clear and airy, though not quite as present as the rest of the spectrum (at least to me). Overally they have what is more or less a neutral sound that is moderately laid-back and very effortless. They have a pretty spacious soundstage compared to other IEMs I've heard, and I particularly love the positioning of vocals sounding like they are smack in the middle of your head. This is basically what I'm looking for in a full-sized headphone as well. Also worth noting is that I am primarily a mobile listener and have a Fiio E11 out of an iPod (though I'm looking to upgrade to a Cowon J3 very soon).

My music preferences are irrelevant, because I want an accurate headphone and an accurate headphone is supposed to recreate the music as it was intended to sound. I've never understood the concept of buying headphones based on genre or colored headphones being more "fun."

Essentially what I am looking for is this:

- Tight, controlled bass with good punch and extension. I tend to not like bass-heavy headphones, but don't want bass-light headphones either. MY R07s have pretty much the exact bass I am looking for. I'm willing to bend a little in either direction though.
- I like an open, airy sound. I'm a big fan of smooth highs. As I understand it, some headphones that are a bit edgier in the high end can sound more detailed, which is also fine by me.
- I like a neutral mid-range with maybe a touch of warmth.
- Good separation is a must. I HATE congested sound, and I also really hate headphones that come off as being a sort of "wall-of-sound."
- I don't like feeling to disconnected from the music (as in it being positioned very far away and being overly laid-back), but I do tend to prefer a slightly more laid-back sound as opposed to a very "in your face" and intimate sound.
- I'd prefer something with a spacious soundstage and good imaging. I really like the combination of good separation and being able to hear were all the various audio cues are coming from.
- I'd also prefer circumaural headphones, but it's not a requirement.

If I need to be more specific with anything let me know. And thanks in advance!

idk mayb hdj2000 ? my first step into full size was the m50, but seperation could be better, i would say the MS400, but the bass is very loss and lethargic. My second suggestion, probably a better one actually would be ultrasone s-logic, like maybe 580 or 780

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #9,209 of 29,490

Quote:
I want some feedback on the Sennheiser HD 218.

Small and light, quite comfy, average sound, good price.

Quote:
Hello,

thanks in advance!

Upgrade to the HD380?

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #9,210 of 29,490
please and thank you.

- good isolation
- good for pretty much all types of music (i want a good all-arounder.)
- $350 or below.
- good amount of bass with mids that aren't recessed (preferably, some recession is okay as long as it's not TOO much.)

will be used with E7/E9 combo, source = iPhone 4, PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back