++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 16, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #9,212 of 29,490
Hey guys, im now looking for a pair of portable/commuter cans. Im tired of IEMs, they generally sound bad in comparison, are uncomfy, and require you to keep your ears spotless. 

My main listening is done with rock, heavier rock, but not anything like death metal or screamo. I do also listen to electronic/trance as well, so bass is a bit important. I like my music a tad bit bass heavy, probably more or less with a warm signature. 

Budget id say is around 150$, any more and id constantly be too worried about them getting broken or stolen. Again these will be used on the go a lot, so durability is important, and looking nice wouldnt hurt either. 

The ones that come to mind from what ive heard are:
The new V Modas
Sennheiser HD 25-1 ll

However this is just from what ive lightly scanned. Any suggestions? Thanks, dd. 

Nov 16, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #9,213 of 29,490

Quote:
please and thank you.

- good isolation
- good for pretty much all types of music (i want a good all-arounder.)
- $350 or below.
- good amount of bass with mids that aren't recessed (preferably, some recession is okay as long as it's not TOO much.)

will be used with E7/E9 combo, source = iPhone 4, PC.

full sized options:
Ultrasone Pro750
Beyer DT770 (250 or 600 ohm)
Shure 840/940
Senn HD380

Quote:
does it have more bass compared to the hd280? also how big is the difference between the two?

I felt the HD380 was a bit more bass sloped than the HD280 leading to a warmer sound. Comfort was better on the 380 although it clamps hard to start.

Quote:
Hey guys, im now looking for a pair of portable/commuter cans. Im tired of IEMs, they generally sound bad in comparison, are uncomfy, and require you to keep your ears spotless. 

My main listening is done with rock, heavier rock, but not anything like death metal or screamo. I do also listen to electronic/trance as well, so bass is a bit important. I like my music a tad bit bass heavy, probably more or less with a warm signature. 

Budget id say is around 150$, any more and id constantly be too worried about them getting broken or stolen. Again these will be used on the go a lot, so durability is important, and looking nice wouldnt hurt either. 

The new V Modas
Sennheiser HD 25-1 ll

However this is just from what ive lightly scanned. Any suggestions? Thanks, dd. 

My vote goes to the HD25. The M80 is good, but isolation is weak; if your environment/commute isn't too loud then they're ok.

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #9,214 of 29,490
AIAIAI TMA-1, Phiaton MS300 are 2 to consider as well.

Quote:

The new V Modas
Sennheiser HD 25-1 ll

Nov 17, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #9,217 of 29,490
Howdy guys. I'm starting out to transit over to the world of headphones from crappy headsets, and I was wondering if someone can help me find a pair of headphones, soundcard[or amp, or both], which will be used for mainly video gaming(immersion/competetive FPS) and music. 

My music tastes are: Dream Pop, Metal, Classic, Jazz, and Grudge and Rap. 
I have a budget of $300-$350. I'll need a mic as well. If you guys need specs of my computer....

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j2/meowbird0/speccy-1.png

Nov 17, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #9,219 of 29,490

Hi everyone, I'm a noobie but I am also not a complete stranger to the world of sound.
I am studying in university to be a recording engineer/sound designer the program I'm in is a Performance Production program more related to Theatre but my Sound Design professor is in all sorts of fields in regards to sound.

Anyways that was my intro/ you know where I'm coming from.
I recently just bought a set of Shure215's for the daily run and I'm also looking for a real set of headphones.
I was wondering if you guys could recommend me some.
My purposes:
-DJing
-Sound editing
-Monitoring
-Field recording
-and of course enjoying music.

I bought my Shure 215's cause the first pair of E2C's I bought lasted me something like 5-6 years and just this year one side began to short out, decided it was time I try something new.
My friend recommended me headphonesolutions/earphonesolutions.com, but what bothers me about them is they don't cover all brands, I've been interested in trying a set of Audio-Technica and/or Beyer Dynamics headphones.

Thanks.

Was recommended M50's but a friend of mine told me they sucked ? lol

Nov 17, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #9,220 of 29,490
I'm currently looking for a pair of cans to use with my PA2V2 / ipod touch combo and on a Yamaha receiver with CD/LP Music.
Pricerange max 200$ or 150€.
Music is 320kbs mp3 mainly hiphop/electro, but also some vocals(have already the sony ZX700 for this purpose). Meaning: I need more bass. I tried the 770 pros 250 Ohms, but are the 80s maybe better for my purpose/can they be driven without amp if i dont wanna carry around it.
Edit: I have a big head, the Senn HD 25-ii are definately uncomfy, the dt 770 fit good, with the sony XB700 beíng the most comfort headphone used so far. I read on those that the bass > all which i also dont like

Nov 17, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #9,221 of 29,490
Xone 53, AIAIAI TMA-1, Phiaton MS400. All bassy ~$200 headphones. The Xone are big but a great value at their current price range (175ish). If you have comfort issues I think the MS400 is the most comfy of the 3.

Quote:
I'm currently looking for a pair of cans to use with my PA2V2 / ipod touch combo and on a Yamaha receiver with CD/LP Music.
Pricerange max 200$ or 150€.
Music is 320kbs mp3 mainly hiphop/electro, but also some vocals(have already the sony ZX700 for this purpose). Meaning: I need more bass. I tried the 770 pros 250 Ohms, but are the 80s maybe better for my purpose/can they be driven without amp if i dont wanna carry around it.
Edit: I have a big head, the Senn HD 25-ii are definately uncomfy, the dt 770 fit good, with the sony XB700 beíng the most comfort headphone used so far. I read on those that the bass > all which i also dont like

Nov 17, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #9,222 of 29,490

Hi there, 
After only using IEMs I started thinking about getting some full sized headphones for use at home.

I'm currently owning the sennheiser IE8 in ears and I really love them..
Because i'm absolutely not into headphones i'm asking here for some advice.
I'm listening to house, hiphop, rock (bruce springsteen, bryan adams etc), and some pop music.

I'm actually looking for some headphones which sound like my ie8's.
Bass is really important to me. Bass must go deep, really deep (subbass) with a nice punch. I hate bloated midbass (eq'd it down on my IE8) 
The highs are ok on my IE8 ( I eq'd them up by 1 db)

Highs have to be detailed, smooth and bright but not too bright and harsh. 

so i'm actually looking for some warm headphones with a good overall clarity.

I will be using them on a sony a845 unamped... A 3.5 mm plug is required.

price: maximum of 150 euro's (about 205 dollar) and they have to be over the ear and closed

Maybe you guys have some suggestions for me?

thanks in advance :)

Nov 17, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #9,224 of 29,490

Quote:
idk mayb hdj2000 ? my first step into full size was the m50, but seperation could be better, i would say the MS400, but the bass is very loss and lethargic. My second suggestion, probably a better one actually would be ultrasone s-logic, like maybe 580 or 780

I should also probably add that my budget is up to about $250, though I'd be willing to bend a bit for a really good deal.

I don't think the HDJ-2000 would have the bass extension I'm looking for, and would be a bit "murky" for my tastes.

I'm not really sold on the S-Logics. I'd rather avoid headphones that attempt to do gimmicky things with sound. I want accurate reproduction, and I feel that any sort of "enhancement" eliminates any possibility of that.

However, someone did metion AD900s, and I think they might be just what I'm looking for. Can any one else comment on the AD900s? Ideally I'd like to hear how they compare to my GR07s.

Nov 17, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #9,225 of 29,490
Looking for a recommendation on a set of full-size cans that provide the best passive isolation.  Unlike most here, sound quality can take a back seat.

I have severe tinnitus, so I've been using a set of Sennheiser HD-280 Pros when I fly for the last couple years and while they are quite good at isolation, felt them to be lacking in recent years.  Not interested in NC headphones, but prefer passive isolation without having to go to IEMs.  I also notice with the 280's they seem to increase the rumble of low-end exterior sounds (which correlates with the isolation graph at Headroom).

So is there any phones that are on the market that provide better isolation than the HD-280's?  There is always Peltor safety muffs but those a) would look ridiculous and b) wouldn't let me listen to music at a very soft level as I do now.

Thanks in advance for advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back